Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2017, 02:41   #3801  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

GMJCZP,

As a recommendation, I suggest you forget NotePad (standard) and right click and select "Open With" to maybe PsPad or NotePad+ (NotePadPlus),
which both supports Edit of Avisynth script (with keyword hi-lite) and Play of the script, really quite a lot more useful than NotePad standard.

As Pinterf mentions in Avs Usage, MPlayer2 is still supplied, even in Win10, I always quite hated WMVxxx, really horrible, whereas MPlayer2 is very
usable and what I use (together with MPC-HC in PsPad) to view/test scripts.

Give'it a whirl, you might like it.

EDIT:
Quote:
and select "Open With"
You can actually set that inside both PsPad and NotePad+ settings.

EDIT: In XP, some clips do not play in MPlayer2.exe, but for most, I much prefer over WMVxxx.
In XP, MPlayer2, is located in same directory as WMVxx (C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\).

EDIT: It is a bit peculiar that MPlayer2 is still provided, another weird little thing is that from W98 onwards, there was always
a DVD player included (REALLY basic) , just not an MPEG2 decoder, called DVDPlay.exe (I think, in system32), dont know if it is still there.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th December 2017 at 02:59.
Old 20th December 2017, 02:48   #3802  |  Link
GMJCZP

TinMan, the idea is that when opening a script open the notepad, as with the old avisynth, if not then I do not understand the idea of file associations, using FileTypesMan was not what I had in mind with AVS+.

EDIT: I use "Open With" for VirtualDub/ VirtualDubMod or WMP/ MPC-HC

GMJCZP's Arsenal

Last edited by GMJCZP; 20th December 2017 at 02:52.
Old 20th December 2017, 03:01   #3803  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

'Open With', (and tick the 'Always' [or whatever its called] tick box).

EDIT: You can still then use "Open With" on the odd occasion for VDub.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th December 2017 at 03:03.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:03   #3804  |  Link
nhope
partially-informed layman

Thanks for the update pinterf.

Regarding this screen...

...I got a little confused/concerned because I thought a) maybe it would now install the Avisynth.dll file itself in that folder, and b) I might be about to get only the x86 version.

Of course, it did neither, but I think it would be useful to explicitly state at that stage of the installation that it will install both x86 AviSynth+ in C:\WINDOWS\System32 and x64 AviSynth+ in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64, and that the folder being chosen at this stage of the installation is just for the plugins for both versions, along with the license and uninstaller etc..

Another thing the installer did was detect that I had AviSynth installed in d:\Documents\AvisynthRepositor\AVSPLUS_x86:

Actually I didn't. That was just a "dumb" folder, with no files in it being used in my existing AviSynth installation. When I renamed it and ran the installer again, it was ignored.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:49   #3805  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhope View Post
Of course, it did neither, but I think it would be useful to explicitly state at that stage of the installation that it will install both x86 AviSynth+ in C:\WINDOWS\System32 and x64 AviSynth+ in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
It's the other way around (x86 to SysWoW64, x64 to System32).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhope View Post
Another thing the installer did was detect that I had AviSynth installed in d:\Documents\AvisynthRepositor\AVSPLUS_x86:

Actually I didn't. That was just a "dumb" folder, with no files in it being used in my existing AviSynth installation. When I renamed it and ran the installer again, it was ignored.
Yes you did. The detected directory is the "default" value in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avisynth". Although not strictly necessary, some programs use this registry value to determine if Avisynth is installed (that's why the Universal Installer writes it too). This entry is also written by the classic Avisynth installer.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 21st December 2017 at 11:27.
Old 23rd December 2017, 18:59   #3806  |  Link
mcjordan

FYI: thru Avisynth+ r2575 compilation

..\avs_core\filters\limiter.cpp ->
#include <core/internal.h> is wrong
right is:
#include <../core/internal.h>
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:19   #3807  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjordan View Post
FYI: thru Avisynth+ r2575 compilation

..\avs_core\filters\limiter.cpp ->
#include <core/internal.h> is wrong
right is:
#include <../core/internal.h>
Modified, thanks. (Why did it work for me and not for you)
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:06   #3808  |  Link
mcjordan

Hmm... I don't know. I'm under Win7 and VS2017 15.5.2

Another (non-fatal) error that occurs during a compilation of a long time ago:
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(384): warning C4309: 'argument': truncation of constant value
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(455): note: see reference to function template instantiation 'void overlay_blend_sse2_plane_masked<uint8_t,8,false>(BYTE *,const BYTE *,const BYTE *,const int,const int,const int,const int,const int)' being compiled
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(405): warning C4309: 'argument': truncation of constant value
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(957): warning C4309: 'argument': truncation of constant value
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(1012): note: see reference to function template instantiation 'void overlay_blend_sse2_plane_masked_opacity<uint16_t,16,true>(BYTE *,const BYTE *,const BYTE *,const int,const int,const int,const int,const int,const int,const float)' being compiled
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:18   #3809  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjordan View Post
Hmm... I don't know. I'm under Win7 and VS2017 15.5.2

Another (non-fatal) error that occurs during a compilation of a long time ago:
3>C:\AviSynthPlus\avs_core\filters\overlay\blend_common.cpp(384): warning C4309: 'argument': truncation of constant value
Yes, I know, fortunately it's only a warning, usually this type of warning is switched off temporarily by pragmas, which I have not done yet. (Like setting a 16 bit word to 0xFFFF while the parameter is "short" (signed 16 bit) type)
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:22   #3810  |  Link
mcjordan

Thank you, pinterf. Sorry for disturbance.
And wish you a happy Мerry Christmas.

Last edited by mcjordan; 23rd December 2017 at 20:29.
Old 23rd December 2017, 23:57   #3811  |  Link
GMJCZP

Excuse me pinterf, did you read by chance post # 3800? Thanks.

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 24th December 2017, 07:50   #3812  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJCZP View Post
Excuse me pinterf, did you read by chance post # 3800? Thanks.
Yes, but I placed the editor option into "Open With" intentionally in order not to overwrite notepad++ or other existing associations. I could still use rightclick on avs file and select notepad and tick "always use this program" (I'm on win10). I'm not near a computer but I think the reinstall will keep the setting of that checkbox.
Old 24th December 2017, 17:13   #3813  |  Link
GMJCZP

Thanks pinterf for answering.

The problem is that if you use "always use this program" the script icon will be notepad and not AVS+, which does not happen with the old avisynth.

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 24th December 2017, 18:59   #3814  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Cant you just (on XP at least), select Windows Explorer, "Folder Options/File Types" and find "File Extension"
'AVS', click "Advanced", "Change Icon", "Browse", find "Avisynth.dll" (wherever it is located), select your
chosen icon, then "OK" and "Close".

I guess if you change avs version a lot, & havta do it every time it could get a bit tedious.

EDIT: After deleting the avisynth.dll, icon still remains, I think it goes into an Icon Cache, which is
sometimes cleared, but I cant remember under what conditions. (not affected by "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"
in folder options).

EDIT: Cant say that I've ever noticed what icon avs came up under. [I ALWAYS have it on Details WITH EXTENSIONS, except in Control Panel
or Administrators Tools [where all icons are different, no point at all in icons when a folder full of identical file types].

I tried to find similar on windows 10 (not quite as horrid as I thought it would be, but hate those damn long
timeouts when it updated to Creators Update [or whatever its called]), but seems like change file icon functionality
has died out. Seems you have to be an IT Pro to want to change file icons, here suggests using ShellExView utility.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com...orum=w7itproui

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th December 2017 at 19:36.
Old 24th December 2017, 19:15   #3815  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
After deleting the avisynth.dll, icon still remains, I think it goes into an Icon Cache, which is
sometimes cleared, but I cant remember under what conditions.
You can delete the cache manually by deleting "IconCache.db" in "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data".
Old 24th December 2017, 19:24   #3816  |  Link
GMJCZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Cant you just (on XP at least), select Windows Explorer, "Folder Options/File Types" and find "File Extension"
'AVS', click "Advanced", "Change Icon", "Browse", find "Avisynth.dll" (wherever it is located), select your
chosen icon, then "OK" and "Close".

I guess if you change avs version a lot, & havta do it every time it could get a bit tedious.

EDIT: After deleting the avisynth.dll, icon still remains, I think it goes into an Icon Cache, which is
sometimes cleared, but I cant remember under what conditions. (not affected by "Do Not Cache Thumbnails"
in folder options).

EDIT: Cant say that I've ever noticed what icon avs came up under.
That's why I prefer the installer of the old avisynth, which already does everything automatic. I only ask that if it is possible to emulate this with the AVS+ installer and not have to resort to a program like FileTypesMan to do things manually.

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 24th December 2017, 19:42   #3817  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx Grouchy, knew I'de seen it somewhere. [EDIT: also forgot about Thumbs.db, I always Do Not Cache Thumbnails].

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJCZP View Post
That's why I prefer the installer of the old avisynth, which already does everything automatic. I only ask that if it is possible to emulate this with the AVS+ installer and not have to resort to a program like FileTypesMan to do things manually.
Computers are not intended to make life easy, just more interesting

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th December 2017 at 19:46.
Old 24th December 2017, 22:15   #3818  |  Link
GMJCZP

TinMan, your enigmatic words do not make me feel better

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 25th December 2017, 04:52   #3819  |  Link
THEAST

I decided to give Avisynth x64 a try after a very long time; however, I am not sure how I can use Avisynth x86 and x64 at the same time. I used the latest installer for AVisynth+ MT (r2574) which installs the 32-bit DLLs into SysWOW64, and the 64-bit DLLs to System32. With this configuration, MeGUI x64 can load my existing Avisynth scripts correctly; however, MeGUI x86 and VirtualDub x86 do not work (MeGUI crashes with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avisynth.dll as faulting module path, and VDub generates an illegal instruction error). If I move the 32-bit DLLs to System32 and overwrite the 64-bit ones, then the x86 apps work correctly (but MeGUI x64 obviously does not). It seems all these apps default to System32 to find avisynth.dll. Am I missing something here? Is there any way I can use Avisynth x86 and x64 at the same time and choose which one to be loaded depending on the application?
Old 25th December 2017, 13:15   #3820  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
I decided to give Avisynth x64 a try after a very long time; however, I am not sure how I can use Avisynth x86 and x64 at the same time. I used the latest installer for AVisynth+ MT (r2574) which installs the 32-bit DLLs into SysWOW64, and the 64-bit DLLs to System32. With this configuration, MeGUI x64 can load my existing Avisynth scripts correctly; however, MeGUI x86 and VirtualDub x86 do not work (MeGUI crashes with C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avisynth.dll as faulting module path, and VDub generates an illegal instruction error). If I move the 32-bit DLLs to System32 and overwrite the 64-bit ones, then the x86 apps work correctly (but MeGUI x64 obviously does not). It seems all these apps default to System32 to find avisynth.dll. Am I missing something here? Is there any way I can use Avisynth x86 and x64 at the same time and choose which one to be loaded depending on the application?
I didn't even know 32-bit applications could access the System32-folder on a 64-bit Windows. I thought Windows just silently mapped them to SysWOW64 instead.
Closed Thread