Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th November 2009, 00:33   #1  |  Link
dbfs

Bitrate and resolution balance

Let's start with a example... I have a lot of old 4:3 PAL and NTSC DVD's, and some newer 16:9 disc's. I'm planning to convert them to a smaller format for on my harddisk. I think it will be in WMV(vc-1) or Xvid or H264...

To the point, it is not smart to use a bitrate of 1200kbps for a full resolution encoding of a dvd from native dvd 480P DVD to 848x480P, because the bitrate is way to low for a high resolution encoding, it will result in a video with a lot of artifacts.

Resize is the best solution, but you need the best balance between bitrate and resolution, 1200kbps for video in a 16:9 resized 480x270 is too high, no artifacts in the video, but a lot of bitrate is throw away because the low resolution.

Too high resolution is not good because too much data with a too low bitrate which result in smooth video with artifacts.

My plan is to use a bitrate of 1200kbps, I've tried experimenting with different resolution's but a can't make a decision.

My question to you is:'How can I make a good decision and make a good balance between bitrate and resolution for standard def video's, and what is yours balance between resolution and bitrate?

Last edited by Guest; 10th November 2009 at 01:13. Reason: 12
dbfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, bitrate, resolution