Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 4th February 2020, 17:53   #29241  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

Is MULTIPROCESS setting even needed anymore as I seem to recall that both x264 and x265 and multi-threaded by default?

Also I noticed that some rebuilds the extras are not using Quicker for extras CRF setting as likely not identified as extras since the file size of some extras can match the episodes/movie due to length. Is there a way to force a CRF per title or mark certain streams as extras?
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2020, 18:00   #29242  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post
Is MULTIPROCESS setting even needed anymore as I seem to recall that both x264 and x265 and multi-threaded by default?

Also I noticed that some rebuilds the extras are not using Quicker for extras CRF setting as likely not identified as extras since the file size of some extras can match the episodes/movie due to length. Is there a way to force a CRF per title or mark certain streams as extras?
MULIPROCESS has outlived its usefulness. I should probably remove it as an option.

Right now there is no easy way to mark streams as extras or force a CRF per title.
Old 5th February 2020, 03:13   #29243  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
MULIPROCESS has outlived its usefulness. I should probably remove it as an option.

Right now there is no easy way to mark streams as extras or force a CRF per title.
Is NeroAAC another that is no longer useful, that is, have other AAC libraries you use now equal or better quality to Nero's AAC?

Also for MULTIPROCESS=4 with my 6 core/12 thread CPU I am seeing CPU utilization pegged at 100% where without the CPU usage never goes above 30%. Seems it would be much faster with the setting. Does the splitting of the parts into 4 per movie add more time than the Multiprocess gains would give?

Last edited by jfcarbel; 5th February 2020 at 06:01.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:55   #29244  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

I'm using multi-process=8 on my 9900k, speeds it up quite nicely. Defo not useless.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 12:24   #29245  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Is NeroAAC another that is no longer useful, that is, have other AAC libraries you use now equal or better quality to Nero's AAC?

Also for MULTIPROCESS=4 with my 6 core/12 thread CPU I am seeing CPU utilization pegged at 100% where without the CPU usage never goes above 30%. Seems it would be much faster with the setting. Does the splitting of the parts into 4 per movie add more time than the Multiprocess gains would give?
odd I have a 8700K, BDR ver .05 setting very slow 2 pass

no matter what MULTIPROSESS setting I use n, 6, 2, I see no difference in first pass encode, my cpu is working anywhere between 87-100% giving me 6.50X speed ( pass 1 ) no matter the setting

in resorce manager it shows all cores and threads at 87-100 cpu usage

Last edited by Mike-uk; 5th February 2020 at 12:27.
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2020, 21:52   #29246  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Not sure if other encoders have grown to equal NeroAAC. I know I still use it.

Interesting. No. I don't believe the splitting would add anything more than a negligible amout of time.

Glad you told me. I wasn't sure if anyone was using MULTIPROCESS.
Old 6th February 2020, 00:03   #29247  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Could the difference in speed, using MULTIPROCESS, that is reported above be due to the use of different decoders as in BD-RB will choose the older (faster) x264 or the newer (slower) x264?

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2020, 02:42   #29248  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

I am going to do a test on my 6 core to compare. I had heard that about 4 for MULTIPROCESS does not make that much difference but never really tested that.

I also have a Ryzen 3900X build coming so be interesting to compare the 2 platforms.
Old 6th February 2020, 09:45   #29249  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Not sure if other encoders have grown to equal NeroAAC.
Maybe qaac is better for low bitrates, but for NeroAAC quality 0.5 is not possible ear differences with same size than qaac.

NeroAACenc.exe can be distributed (or linked) without copyright problems.
qaac need a instalation process not easy to override copyright.

If low bitrates are desired maybe the free opus is the best option.
Old 7th February 2020, 18:40   #29250  |  Link
musiclover

I installed BD-RB on a new Windows 10 box. After starting the program I got the message "Your Windows 7 system has been succesfully configured to use LAV with BD Rebuilder". Is BD-RB not recognising my Windows 10 system correctly?
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 21:37   #29251  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
I installed BD-RB on a new Windows 10 box. After starting the program I got the message "Your Windows 7 system has been succesfully configured to use LAV with BD Rebuilder". Is BD-RB not recognising my Windows 10 system correctly?
No. Actually I was surprised at your post and went back and looked... for some reason I made the message box say "Windows 7"... Nothing to worry about, I'll change it.
Old 9th February 2020, 23:37   #29252  |  Link
terrykuntz

Slow frame rate doing uhd disk

I just put together a PC with a AMD Ryzen 3900X processor and currently trying to shrink UHD Aladdin to a 50GB disk. Why is my frame rate only 2-3 frames per second? I do have it set to do the highest quality. With this same settings on other Blu ray's I get frame rates around 40 frames per second?
terrykuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 01:28   #29253  |  Link
MrVideo

Re-encoding UHD video takes a lot longer via software.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 02:04   #29254  |  Link
BuddTX

Quote:
One other point. There's also the option to choose the fastest speed for X265 in BD-RB. My guess would be that it is similar to hardware encoding in quality -- and is a lot faster than, say, the default "High Quality" mode in BD-RB.
Interesting Observation JDobbs! I will take "your guess" any day!

So are you saying that the hardware encoding will not give as good quality as software encoding?

The whole idea of wanting to go to HW encoding is speed, but I also want good quality.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new video card, and find out that the "best" it can do in HW encoding, is similar to the SW encoding "fastest speed for X265".

Even though I have a relatively new, GTX 1050 TI, it sounds like I would need to upgrade again, to take advantage of all the latest HW encoding options.

So am I understanding this correctly, that with HW encoding, there are limited options for video quality?

If that is the case, HW encoding does not interest me as much now. Of course, we all want speed, but quality is very important to me also.

I would not mind a "several hours-half day-similar time" encode, if I could use HW encoding and also use the "ENCODE_QUALITY=4" setting.

Thanks!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 12:34   #29255  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykuntz View Post
I just put together a PC with a AMD Ryzen 3900X processor and currently trying to shrink UHD Aladdin to a 50GB disk. Why is my frame rate only 2-3 frames per second? I do have it set to do the highest quality. With this same settings on other Blu ray's I get frame rates around 40 frames per second?
UHD is 4x the resolution compared to bluray ( 1080 ) and I guess HDR adds some time so Hella al lot more pixels to process
Old 10th February 2020, 12:47   #29256  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Interesting Observation JDobbs! I will take "your guess" any day!

So are you saying that the hardware encoding will not give as good quality as software encoding?

The whole idea of wanting to go to HW encoding is speed, but I also want good quality.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new video card, and find out that the "best" it can do in HW encoding, is similar to the SW encoding "fastest speed for X265".

Even though I have a relatively new, GTX 1050 TI, it sounds like I would need to upgrade again, to take advantage of all the latest HW encoding options.

So am I understanding this correctly, that with HW encoding, there are limited options for video quality?

If that is the case, HW encoding does not interest me as much now. Of course, we all want speed, but quality is very important to me also.

I would not mind a "several hours-half day-similar time" encode, if I could use HW encoding and also use the "ENCODE_QUALITY=4" setting.

Thanks!
taken from another site hardware 265 encoding is coming on hopefully they can get turing cards better, and hopefully the next gpu cards will be equal

Hey mate, depending on what card you have, NVENC can perform as good as Slow on the right bitrate. Pascal and Maxwell cards don't beat x265 Faster. However Turing cards do. Turing cards in H.265 get much closer to Medium and Slow on x265. If you have a Turing card, and you use FFMPEG with some good options like -g 240 and spatial adaptive quantisation, you can basically get anything x265 can get. Some settings will still use CPU for rc-lookahead and the 2-pass preset "slow", but in terms of speed and quality Turing is the way to go now.

Last edited by Mike-uk; 10th February 2020 at 12:49.
Old 10th February 2020, 14:23   #29257  |  Link
jdobbs

Given a high enough bitrate -- almost anything can give excellent quality. But at a given bitrate, you'll be hard pressed to find any solution that can beat X265. When backing up a blu-ray the average bitrate is fixed based upon the target size and the length of the source. While I haven't done any testing, I have doubts that a hardware solution could match it.

With that said... the bitrates are typically pretty high in BD backups, and its debatable whether most people would see a difference.

Last edited by jdobbs; 10th February 2020 at 14:26.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 17:18   #29258  |  Link
BuddTX

Thank you Mike-UK and JDobbs!

Mike-UK, I have a GTX 1050 TI, and that apparently does not have Turing, and am not anxious to upgrade my video card again! My 9 year old PC is still a workhorse, (6 core Xeon processor (12 threads with Hyperthreading), 24 gig RAM, 2 SSD HD, 2 physical HD), and was hoping to wait a few years before upgrading, because no matter what I buy, two years down the road, it is "not the latest and greatest!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
If you have a Turing card, and you use FFMPEG with some good options like -g 240 and spatial adaptive quantisation, you can basically get anything x265 can get. Some settings will still use CPU for rc-lookahead and the 2-pass preset "slow", but in terms of speed and quality Turing is the way to go now.
Mike, I would not know how to apply those command line parameters in the context of using BD Rebuilder, however your comment does make me ask a new question!

On the first post, JDobbs says:
Quote:
CURRENT VERSION 0.61.05 (January 23rd, 2020)
2. While not required it is recommended you perform either one of the following (2A, preferred, or 2B):

2A. Download and install the LAV Directshow Filters. Use only the version linked here -- as other versions may result in out-of-sync audio. While not required for BD-RB to work, LAVFilters will improve functionality and are free. They are required for some functionality associated with HEVC import and processing.

2B. Download and install FFDSHOW and the Haali Matroska Splitter. While they are not required for BD-RB to work, they will improve functionality and are free. After the install, run "Video Decoder Configuration" for FFDSHOW from the "START/Programs" menu, and make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled. Do the same using "Audio Decoder Configuration" to ensure "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported".

2C. If you decide to install both 2A and 2B, make sure HAALI/FFDSHOW (2B) is installed first, followed by LAVFilters (2A). This will prevent issues with HEVC splitting.
I have always only done "2A", and BD rebuilder has always been reliable for me. However, in reading this, should I be installing 2B also? I use BD Rebuilder exclusively to make MKV files, and want to only use X265 encoder.

Reason for asking the question is this line (see bolded sentence):
Quote:
2B. Download and install FFDSHOW and the Haali Matroska Splitter. While they are not required for BD-RB to work, they will improve functionality and are free.
I certainly would like to "improve functionality" to BD Rebuilder! Please advise.

Thanks!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 19:03   #29259  |  Link
terrykuntz

To increase the frame rate I tried 2 things, I added the option MULTIPROCESS=12 because I have the AMD Ryzen 3900X cpu which ended up changing nothing, frame rate still 3 frames per second. Then I changed the encoder settings to High Quality (default) and now the frame rate changes to 6 frames per second. Is there anything else I can change to increase the frame rate other than changing the encoder settings to a lower value?
terrykuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 22:40   #29260  |  Link
Mike-uk

BuddTX, yes only the 20XX series Nvidia cards have turing chips, as for your other questions I have no idea but im sure there are people on here that can answer them