Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 15th June 2009, 08:25   #1  |  Link
audiohominis

PS3 on Samsung P2370HD Monitor – The Picture Just Ain't Right

Hi, gents.
As I was testing out the Samsung P2370HD monitor using some HD images fed via my PS3, namely test patterns, razor-sharp giant (1920x1080) pixel art and such, I found a familiar problem, which I'll attempt to describe to the best of my ability: Okay, the resolution itself appears proper, nonetheless; instead of the expected PERFECTLY CRISP image, the output has some very noticeable ugly soft quality to it and nasty hallowing around the lines and edges. However, this is not the case with the monitor's native built-in (BIOS) menu graphics and text – they show like they're supposed to!
I've used the same images for testing my living room larger Sharp Aquos set and the picture is spectacular and non-problematic. In other words, the quality of the content used for testing is not questionable.
Suddenly, I remembered how my Samsung desktop monitor at work had the exact same issue. It turned out in order for the picture to come out right [generally] Samsung monitors require driver installation. Once the supplied drivers are installed, the softness disappears and every pixel falls into place! Some of you guys who have Samsung monitors are probably familiar with this too. So… the big question probably is: what if the drivers are only available for PC, am I royally screwed? I can't enjoy the picture when I know for fact it's not all it can be. It's frustrating. Has anyone had this issue?
Here's some detail. The devices are connected via HDMI, and the PS3 output is set to 1080p. The halo defects in the image somewhat looked like the results of some armature Photoshopper abusing sharpening filters, so I tried to adjust the image sharpness settings from the monitor but to no avail. There ain't much to tweak on either end really. I'm 99% convinced this is a driver thing.
Thank you for any input.

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 930 @ 2.80GFz 2.79 GHz (8 cores)
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250
SYS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
RAM: 6.00 GB

audiohominis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 22:30   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Sounds like there's some scaling going on somewhere... Can you force 1:1 pixel mapping on the display?

Monitors don't have "drivers", just color profiles, IIRC...

~MiSfit
Old 25th June 2009, 02:54   #3  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

samsung TVs have a "justscan" mode when fed with HD sources. it'll give you 1:1 mapping rather than overscanned TV mapping. when you turn the sharpness down after that it should all be fine.

i remember calibrating my bigass samsung to D65 using colourbars and whatnot, then wrote down every setting, but i lost the sheet of paper i wrote it on. never fear though - if yours is anything like mine you'll have more tweakable settings than you need. they even have a "blue only" mode used for calibrating NTSC composite... this only appears on broadcast monitors so obviously some engineer at samsung got very enthusiastic and added a lot of features for geeks.

Tags
hdmi, p2370hd, ps3, samsung monitor driver