Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2020, 12:45   #5381  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Fan View Post
Thanks ; if I install this package, does it mean I don't have to take the vcredist version ? No risk of conflict if I install it anyway ?
Yes and Yes...
Old 5th April 2020, 13:20   #5382  |  Link
Music Fan

Ok thanks, that seems evident but I prefer to be prudent before to install something
Old 5th April 2020, 15:27   #5383  |  Link
Music Fan

Houston, we have a problem
Since I re-installed AVS+ (AviSynthPlus-3.5.1_20200402.exe), I get lots of error messages ("can't open avs file", "function does not exist" ...) : I installed all 64 bit dlls in the plugins64+ directory, but Avisynth is installed in C:\Program Files (x86), is that the problem ?
It was the proposed directory during installation.
With the function version(), I see "r3106, 3.5, i386".

I'm a little bit lost now , how to install 64 bit version correctly, and which plugin folder to use ? Does it depend on the functions (32 bit in plugins+ and 64 bit in plugins64+) ?

And if it's a 32 bit only version, why are there plugins64 folders ?

Last edited by Music Fan; 5th April 2020 at 15:42.
Old 6th April 2020, 01:07   #5384  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

A long time ago, I pointed out a bug in bicubicresize - well, not so much bicubicresize, but resizing code in general, although by default it only exhibits with bicubicresize.

The problem is that bicubicresize, with its default parameters of b=1/3, c=1/3, is not a "nulll filter" when no resize/shift takes place - it actually blurs the image, because it has non-zero lobes even when the offset is 0.

That's bad already to me, since to me a good resizer should have a null effect if no resize or shift is taking place - and indeed it does, but only because Avisynth tests for and skips resampling in such cases. But it shouldn't, and I seem to remember this skip was removed when I pointed out the problem (I can't remember if pinterf was running the show at the time), which is that doing this skip results in a discontinuity when using bicubicresize.

However it seems that this fix has been reverted somewhere along the way, resulting, once again, in this:

This is a very slow scroll of an image by animating the src_top and src_left parameters of bicubicresize. Hopefully you can spot the "jump" when those parameters reach 0,0 and resampling is skipped.

Long story short: resampling should never be skipped - in either direction - just because there is no offset and the scale factor is 1. Not just because bicubicresize has silly default parameters (I know, I know, backwards compatibility...) but because you never know what parameters people may be using with resizers. Actually it may be that Gaussresize is the only other filter currently affected because of its p parameter, but I think it would be good practice to skip this premature optimisation anyway, to protect any future changes.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 6th April 2020 at 01:15.
Old 6th April 2020, 07:30   #5385  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
A long time ago, I pointed out ... Bicubicresize,
Post by Colors[I think he's talking bout same thing]:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...08#post1689608

Long Time Ago Wonkey Thread:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1849699

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 6th April 2020 at 07:51.
Old 6th April 2020, 10:17   #5386  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
But it shouldn't, and I seem to remember this skip was removed when I pointed out the problem (I can't remember if pinterf was running the show at the time), which is that doing this skip results in a discontinuity when using bicubicresize.
I have found:

Code:
20181218 r2768
- Resizers: don't use crop at special edge cases to avoid inconsistent results across different parameters/color spaces
One single case remained though when frame is unaltered : when starting from exact x = 0 (or y = 0) and use exact width (height).

Horizontal and vertical cases are decided separately.

https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynth...mple.cpp#L2464
Old 9th April 2020, 13:33   #5387  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvG View Post
VS r1 has identical output to AddGrainC 1.71.
The difference comes from here.
Fixed in AddGrainC 1.8, test it please
https://github.com/pinterf/AddGrainC/releases/tag/v1.8

Version resource and simd optimizations were lost during vs port, I have put them back.
Old 9th April 2020, 15:50   #5388  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Do you guys have a list of tools+functions+parameters path combination that you think are critical (widely used by various of scripts) but lack AVX optimization or internal parallelism that I should start looking soon?

I'm thinking about mvtools and mask tools, but then I wonder if there are hot paths that I should focus on first because they are pretty huge.
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
Old 9th April 2020, 15:59   #5389  |  Link
ChaosKing

The only filters I can think of right now would be removegrain + nnedi3, maybe also dfttest.
Old 9th April 2020, 16:01   #5390  |  Link
pinterf

Is there any benefit of internal parallelism in real life other than in synthetic single-threaded tests?
Old 9th April 2020, 16:06   #5391  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorRain View Post
Do you guys have a list of tools+functions+parameters path combination that you think are critical (widely used by various of scripts) but lack AVX optimization or internal parallelism that I should start looking soon?

I'm thinking about mvtools and mask tools, but then I wonder if there are hot paths that I should focus on first because they are pretty huge.
Those two are probably things that are shared by many functions and processes, MaskTools maybe the bigger portion. Maybe you could get some AVX2 things off the Vapoursynth core ported?
Old 9th April 2020, 16:10   #5392  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Is there any benefit of internal parallelism in real life other than in synthetic single-threaded tests?
You can imagine I'm still not a fan of MT flavor~
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
Old 9th April 2020, 16:42   #5393  |  Link
pinterf

Well, you could try mvtools2.

- replace existing internal mt of mvtools which is not portable (possible linux build in mind) and requires an external avstp dll.
It was probably written well before that any standard mutex or threading concept appeared in C++ standards.

Supported functions have a bool "mt" parameter, search for them in mvtools2.html in the documentation.

- (portability) where dct 1..4 is used in the analysis, there fftw library is used (except for 8 bit 8x8 blocks which case is using integer fft)

I have done smaller and larger cleanups in the past, even succeeded to build the source with clang just this week.
Old 9th April 2020, 16:48   #5394  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:

Version resource and simd optimizations were lost during vs port, I have put them back.
Thank you pinterf. You're awesome!

I updated the wiki also, I know you always do it but your time is too valuable to be doing those things.

Edit: I think the syntax for AddGrain() you be kept as it originally was for compatibility with some older scripts (one example: MCSpuds). I don't there are many that use AddGrain(). The VS version was ported and just stuck with the syntax of AddGrainC but without the C. VS started from scratch so it was not a problem since all of the scripts had to be re-written anyways.

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 9th April 2020 at 17:00.
Old 9th April 2020, 17:10   #5395  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
The only filters I can think of right now would be removegrain + nnedi3, maybe also dfttest.
I've allready added AVX and AVX2 on nnedi3, and it always had internal multi-threading since the begining, even before i work on it.

Last edited by jpsdr; 9th April 2020 at 17:13.
Old 9th April 2020, 17:11   #5396  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:

On the changelog I read

"Support Avisynth+ high bit depth"

however when I try to use it with 10bit planar or 16bit planar, it reports an access violation.
This is a pretty silly test, however it makes it crash:

Code:
ColorBars(width=848, height=480, pixel_type="YV24")

ConvertBits(10)

AddGrainC(var=5.0, uvar=0.0, constant=true)

so does this:

Code:

ConvertBits(16)

while the 8bit planar one works like a charm:

Code:

I thought the culprit was the fact that it was 4:4:4, but even specifying 4:2:0 doesn't help with high bit depth:

Code:
ColorBars(width=848, height=480, pixel_type="YV12")

ConvertBits(16)

however if I use the default values, it works:

Code:
ColorBarsHD(width=704, height=396, pixel_type="YV24")

ConvertBits(16)

AddGrainC()

Is there something I should be aware of when I use the parameters with high bit depth? Like they don't scale automatically and cause some kind of error or something?

Last edited by FranceBB; 9th April 2020 at 17:19.
Old 9th April 2020, 17:21   #5397  |  Link
pinterf

Investigating
Old 9th April 2020, 17:30   #5398  |  Link
pinterf

Cannot reproduce. Is it the same Avisynth version (my second test build) which you had troubles with?
Old 9th April 2020, 17:47   #5399  |  Link
pinterf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
Thank you pinterf. You're awesome!

I updated the wiki also, I know you always do it but your time is too valuable to be doing those things.

Edit: I think the syntax for AddGrain() you be kept as it originally was for compatibility with some older scripts (one example: MCSpuds). I don't there are many that use AddGrain(). The VS version was ported and just stuck with the syntax of AddGrainC but without the C. VS started from scratch so it was not a problem since all of the scripts had to be re-written anyways.
Thanks, reasonable request.
Old 9th April 2020, 18:09   #5400  |  Link
pinterf

Next test please

https://github.com/pinterf/AddGrainC...ses/tag/v1.8.1

Original parameters restored, simd noise blocks use now unaligned load (possible solution to FranceBB's crash?)
Closed Thread