Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th May 2020, 21:33   #59461  |  Link
tp4tissue

ANYONE know how to autmatically switch to different 3Dluts between rec2020/ dcip3 ?

What profile variable can I set. currently it will only select the rec2020 lut if i insert one, always ignoring the p3 lut
Old 4th May 2020, 21:46   #59462  |  Link
SirMaster

I get about 1 hour per drop/repeat with custom res set to 23.976, but have so far been unable to improve on that.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 21:47   #59463  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
ANYONE know how to autmatically switch to different 3Dluts between rec2020/ dcip3 ?

What profile variable can I set. currently it will only select the rec2020 lut if i insert one, always ignoring the p3 lut
You normally don't need multiple 3DLUTs, but if you really want, just make another madVR profile for the calibration tab and load the other 3DLUT into it and then set up the rule or hotkey for the profile to switch to the other profile.
Old 4th May 2020, 21:55   #59464  |  Link
THU22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I get about 1 hour per drop/repeat with custom res set to 23.976, but have so far been unable to improve on that.
I do not think it is possible to improve on that with a fixed refresh and vsync.

But I wonder if VRR can help with this.
THU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 21:57   #59465  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
You normally don't need multiple 3DLUTs, but if you really want, just make another madVR profile for the calibration tab and load the other 3DLUT into it and then set up the rule or hotkey for the profile to switch to the other profile.
I very much do need a profile for each, because the argyll cms produces slightly different color shades depending what you set as source colorspace. Most of the time, you can't tell, but I've come across of few instances where it looked quite off.

Could you explain how to setup the hotkey to switch to profile ?

What is the RULE, variable for the difference between the file reporting rec2020 and p3 primaries ? that was my original question.
Old 4th May 2020, 23:33   #59466  |  Link
shaolin95

Regarding calibrating for 3D Lut I saw this step "In DisplayCAL, choose the “3D LUT for madVR (D65, Rec. 709 / 1886)" Shouldnt I be using 2020 though if I am going to be watching 4K movies?
Thanks!
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 23:52   #59467  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Regarding calibrating for 3D Lut I saw this step "In DisplayCAL, choose the “3D LUT for madVR (D65, Rec. 709 / 1886)" Shouldnt I be using 2020 though if I am going to be watching 4K movies?
Thanks!
In theory yes, you should use the color space of the content you will be sending to your projector.

But the problem is, your display is nowhere near full BT.2020 color gamut coverage and if you try to make a 3DLUT targeting BT.2020 you will get some posterization at high color saturation.

You will have to try it out for your self and see what results you can get.

Most of us who are calibrating wide color gamut calibrate for DCI-P3 as our projector can do 100% DCI-P3 or at least very close. And then madVR converts the the video BT.2020 into DCI-P3 so it matches the calibration and all is well.
Old 5th May 2020, 00:03   #59468  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
I very much do need a profile for each, because the argyll cms produces slightly different color shades depending what you set as source colorspace. Most of the time, you can't tell, but I've come across of few instances where it looked quite off.

Could you explain how to setup the hotkey to switch to profile ?

What is the RULE, variable for the difference between the file reporting rec2020 and p3 primaries ? that was my original question.
Where are you getting content that is mastered for DCI-P3 though?

All consumer video is rec709 or BT.2020.

In madVR you would right click on your display and choose "create profile group".

And then in the popup pick calibration. Then right click on on the new Profile Group 1 and do add profile.

Now you will have 2 calibration tabs. In the Profile 1 and Profile 2 tabs you can enter in a hotkey to select which profile to use that you can press while in your media player to switch.

Or in the Profile Group 1 tab you can write a profile auto select rule that looks like this:

if (hdr) "Profile 1"
else "Profile 2"

And in Profile 1 load a BT.2020 3DLUT and in Profile 2 load a rec709 3DLUT.

As for selecting between DCI-P3 and BT.2020 you can't do that with the standard madVR variables, but you could put "DCI-P3" somewhere in the filename for videos that you have that you know are DCI-P3 and then have madVR auto select the DCI-P3 3DLUT profile based on the filename.

Like:

if (fileName = "*DCI-P3*") "Profile 1"
else if (hdr) "Profile 2"
else "Profile 3"

Note that you can also rename Profile Groups and Profiles to make things easier to keep track of.

I use ArgyIICMS amd DisplayCAL and have seen no reason for multiple 3DLUTs.

I just have a single DCI-P3 3DLUT, and madVR automatically converts any source color space (like rec709 and BT.2020) into DCI-P3 which is what my 3DLUT and display is calibrated for so everything comes out looking correct and calibrated.

I have tried making a BT.2020 3DLUT but get noticeable posterization in saturated colors and have tried a rec709 3DLUT but that comes out with just as good of results as my DCI-P3 3DLUT so I just stick with the DCI-P3.

I guess if my display like a projector had a color filter for DCI-P3 mode that lowered the light output, I might want a separate rec709 3DLUT with the color filter disabled for a brighter picture, but my display is the same brightness in rec709 and DCI-P3 mode.

Last edited by SirMaster; 5th May 2020 at 00:09.
Old 5th May 2020, 00:11   #59469  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
In theory yes, you should use the color space of the content you will be sending to your projector.

But the problem is, your display is nowhere near full BT.2020 color gamut coverage and if you try to make a 3DLUT targeting BT.2020 you will get some posterization at high color saturation.

You will have to try it out for your self and see what results you can get.

Most of us who are calibrating wide color gamut calibrate for DCI-P3 as our projector can do 100% DCI-P3 or at least very close. And then madVR converts the the video BT.2020 into DCI-P3 so it matches the calibration and all is well.
All reviews/test I have seen of the JVC RS520 puts it at least
97% of DCI-P3.
For example: "After calibration this RS520 was covering 97% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. With some extra calibration work, this RS520 could potentially get more coverage but it would be at the expense of color accuracy."

It has some special filter that helps with that.
I will try that first and see how it looks.
Thanks

Last edited by shaolin95; 5th May 2020 at 00:39.
Old 5th May 2020, 00:17   #59470  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
All reviews/test I have seen of the JVC RS520 puts it at about 97% of DCI-P3.
For example: "After calibration this RS520 was covering 97% of the DCI-P3 color gamut. With some extra calibration work, this RS520 could potentially get more coverage but it would be at the expense of color accuracy."

It has some special filter that helps with that.
I will try that first and see how it looks.
Thanks
Yes DCI-P3 coverage is good, not BT.2020 which is what you said originally.

If you make a DCI-P3 3DLUT you should get good results. But a BT.2020 3DLUT will not yield good results as the coverage of that color gamut on the display is way too low.
Old 5th May 2020, 02:07   #59471  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Yes DCI-P3 coverage is good, not BT.2020 which is what you said originally.

If you make a DCI-P3 3DLUT you should get good results. But a BT.2020 3DLUT will not yield good results as the coverage of that color gamut on the display is way too low.
If you take a gamut map to HDR content, you will see that it pushes some coordinates outside the DCI-p3 spectrum.

It's not the file that's causing problems, it's how argyll cms compresses the gamuts into whatever gamut the tv has. It does a different operation between P3 / Rec2020 as the source colorspace.

Depending on the movie, this may or may not work well. It's at the whim of Argyll, and its algorithm's interplay with the primaries of the TV.

You need both.
Old 5th May 2020, 02:52   #59472  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
If you take a gamut map to HDR content, you will see that it pushes some coordinates outside the DCI-p3 spectrum.

It's not the file that's causing problems, it's how argyll cms compresses the gamuts into whatever gamut the tv has. It does a different operation between P3 / Rec2020 as the source colorspace.

Depending on the movie, this may or may not work well. It's at the whim of Argyll, and its algorithm's interplay with the primaries of the TV.

You need both.
So now I am confused if I should do 3Dlut for dcp , rec709 or just use my projector with the 2020 color space as it looks darn good to me eyes already 😁
Old 5th May 2020, 03:15   #59473  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
So now I am confused if I should do 3Dlut for dcp , rec709 or just use my projector with the 2020 color space as it looks darn good to me eyes already 😁
All 3, and under each 3 you would also create ones with other rendering intent such as colorimeteric, preserve saturation, saturation.

So, in total, probably 12-15 different luts that you play with depending on the movie.

This is all created from the same set of measurements, so you only need to measure once. < assuming you set these settings correctly >

None of them will look-bad, but for example one lut might push red into an orange/pink area (depending on the primary of the device). and you'd need a different lut which doesn't do that.

This is a long chain of color-interplay between file, cms, lut intent, madvr.

There's no one size fits all. It might work on someone else's tv, but not yours.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 5th May 2020 at 03:19.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 03:48   #59474  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by THU22 View Post
This is what you need to do in CRU, it is very simple. Make sure you export the original EDID first, in case you mess something up.

You can basically delete everything in "Detailed resolutions" and add the ones you need. You should only have two or three in there (but even the third one might not work sometimes). Most of common resolutions are stored in the extension blocks, so you will not lose anything by doing this. Resolutions you add here will appear as PC resolutions in the nvidia control panel.
23.975 works best in my case, it could be different in yours. Experiment.

12-bit works with this method, unlike custom resolution in the nvidia control panel.

Looks like my projector is picky about the settings but finally found settings that worked and now playing star Wars was showing between 1.80 and 2 hours for repeated frames and 23.975... etc so I am very happy already. ��

Now on some possible less exciting news I also found this piece of intriguing information from a poster on avsforum:
"Quick notes for nVidia HTPC/MadVR users [others please skip]: the magenta bug present on the rs500 at 4K60 8bits in 385.28 and for all 8bits resolutions in all recent drivers including the latest is gone, which is great news. This means 8bits becomes usable, and leaving MadVR dither to 8bits might be a better option than forcing 12bits out because levels are still borked in 12bits with recent drivers. [EDIT 01/03/19: I found the reason for this: there is a bug in the new models that force YCC422 behind madVR's back when RGB 12bits is selected in the nVidia CP. The driver sends RGB 12bits, the JVC reports RGB 12bits, but in reality it's forcing YCC422. JVC knows about the bug, so hopefully they will fix it in an upcoming f/w update]."

It is a post from last year...guess I need to figure out a way to test if this affects my projector. I hope not as he said new models and his post is from 2019 so maybe mine is not affected. Any suggestions where to see this issue more easily?

Last edited by shaolin95; 5th May 2020 at 04:56.
Old 5th May 2020, 04:54   #59475  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:

You need both.
Honestly I don't think anyone should be making a 3DLUT where the source color space is BT.2020 since no display comes close to reaching BT.2020.

I have tried making dozens of 3DLUTS for BT.2020 and every single one ends up with posterization near the gamut limits.

And for rendering intent, if you are trying to make a 3DLUT for a gamut that is wider than your display, the only ones that yield good results are the default "Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling" or maybe "Luminance matched appearance"

All the others are bad and lead to shrinking the native gamut even more and colors being much farther off.

Here is a measurement I took of what the 3DLUT does with 6 of the rendering intents for a display that cannot reach P3. Clearly the "Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling" is the best.

https://slow.pics/c/mldFlPW3

But unless your display can come within 10% of the native gamut you are targeting I would't target that gamut and would drop down to the lower one. Like if you are above 90% P3 then with enough patches you can get a result that's largely posterization free, otherwise if you are less than 90% then I wouldn't bother with P3 and would just stick to rec709.

And again I don't think anyone should be trying to target BT.2020 as that always leads to a lot of posterization no matter which rendering intent I used and for which display I tried making the 3DLUT for.
Old 5th May 2020, 05:20   #59476  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:

I have tried making dozens of 3DLUTS for BT.2020 and every single one ends up with posterization near the gamut limits.
The posterization is SPECIFIC to each display, resultant of argyll's algorithm's interplay with the gamut.

It has NOTHING to do with specific underpinnings of rec2020 or dci p3.

It's not resultant of the size of the gamut.

On one of my displays, I get posterization on Red while setting dcip3 as source, while rec2020 doesn't have this problem.

You can fix this to some degree just by moving your primaries in the tv's cms a little left or right. But overcorrection might cause issues of its own. So In general, steer clear of tv / monitor CMS except for the tone curve.

You're also wrong about rendering intent.

Colorimetric w/ white point scaling actually shrinks the gamut the most. because it cuts off earlier along the primaries to preserve accuracy over saturation. But again, this depends on where the primaries are. it may not behave this way for all situations.

Preserve saturation, and saturation, gives you the widest use of the gamut, but can be oversaturated.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 5th May 2020 at 05:38.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 06:09   #59477  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
I don't think anyone should be trying to target BT.2020 as that always leads to a lot of posterization no matter which rendering intent I used and for which display I tried making the 3DLUT for.
Argyll or some color engines may cause LUT issues when directly targeting BT.2020, especially when the display's gamut is close to or smaller than DCI-P3. But technically, it is possible to create a BT.2020 LUT for such displays that is free of artifacts or has least amount of artifacts. I don't agree with the general advice to not create BT.2020 LUTs for BT.2020 HDR content.

@SirMaster: Can you share your display characterization data (the display profile), for which you were not able to get a good BT.2020 HDR to SDR LUT?
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 06:24   #59478  |  Link
omarank

Quote:

Colorimetric w/ white point scaling actually shrinks the gamut the most. because it cuts off earlier along the primaries to preserve accuracy over saturation. But again, this depends on where the primaries are. it may not behave this way for all situations.

Preserve saturation, and saturation, gives you the widest use of the gamut, but can be oversaturated.
Saturation intent (and also Perceptual intent) should not be used for Display Calibration 3DLUTs. Absolute Colorimetric with white point scaling (-iaw) and Relative Colorimetric (-ir) are the only recommended rendering intents here. The latter is normally used when the display contrast is already low and you don't want to reduce it further in correcting the white point. In most other cases, the former should be used.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 07:19   #59479  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can say this is wrong. I attached my actual measurements of this and "Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling" is the widest gamut result.

I have done this on my computer monitors, TVs, and projectors all with the same result.

Sure I cannot say it will be this way for every monitor because I cannot test every monitor. But every display I have generated 3DLUTs for and where I have tried multiple rendering intents have ended up this way.

"Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling" has simply always led me to the best results that I see after verifying the LUT no matter what displays I have calibrated so far. Unless I am doing something very wrong.

I am definitely open for learning. I just write about what I have found based on my own experiences with the software and the process.

Last edited by SirMaster; 5th May 2020 at 07:39.
Old 5th May 2020, 07:29   #59480  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Argyll or some color engines may cause LUT issues when directly targeting BT.2020, especially when the display's gamut is close to or smaller than DCI-P3. But technically, it is possible to create a BT.2020 LUT for such displays that is free of artifacts or has least amount of artifacts. I don't agree with the general advice to not create BT.2020 LUTs for BT.2020 HDR content.

@SirMaster: Can you share your display characterization data (the display profile), for which you were not able to get a good BT.2020 HDR to SDR LUT?
I only happen to have files from one display handy.

https://nicko88.com/misc/NX5_gamut/

The DCI-P3 LUT causes a very, very tiny amount of posterization, small enough to not really notice normally.

The BT.2020 one causes pretty massive posterization that can't be ignored IMO.

But I saw this same phenomenon making a DCI-P3 3DLUT on one of my computer monitors which has just slightly more than rec709 and not near full P3 gamut (it's the display that was shown in my 6 screenshot measurements earlier).

Same thing on my Samsung TV that has near full P3 coverage when I tried a BT.2020 LUT.

If there is a way to make a 3DLUT with ArgyIICMS targeting a gamut that is substantially wider than the display's native gamut and there to be no noticeable posterization then I guess I just don't know how to achieve such results. It's the only result I have ever seen on a multitude of displays that I have generated LUTs for. And I have tried all the rendering intents. I am not sure what else I can adjust.

But when I target a gamut that is smaller than the display's native or only slightly larger then the results have always been fine.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling