Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2018, 21:32   #49441  |  Link
Asmodian

Don't use CUVID, use D3D11 or DXVA2 copy-back.

Use ctrl-J to see the OSD. There you can see what chroma upscaling method is being used.

edit: also disable the rendering "trade quality for performance" options "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding" and "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinnterlacing".

Last edited by Asmodian; 7th March 2018 at 21:36.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 21:59   #49442  |  Link
sorinmisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Don't use CUVID, use D3D11 or DXVA2 copy-back.

Use ctrl-J to see the OSD. There you can see what chroma upscaling method is being used.

edit: also disable the rendering "trade quality for performance" options "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding" and "use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing DXVA deinnterlacing".
With D3D11 used all madvr settings are ignored including image upscaling and that works fine with CUVID and DXVA2 copy-back. I already have all "trade quality for performance" options disabled.

OSD screenshot:
https://preview.ibb.co/jb4cf7/Untitled.png
sorinmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 22:19   #49443  |  Link
ryrynz

Sorin, chroma options don't tend to change the appearance a lot when it is noticeable however it's mostly on red images, I notice your settings are too high in that screenshot, set to NGU AA med or low to get your rendering time down so you're not dropping frames. Some of the 'trade quality for performance' options can actually be quite useful here with little image quality affect.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th March 2018 at 22:26.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 22:42   #49444  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Reset to defaults. Back up your settings, If found to be the problem madshi may wish to look at it.
Thanks, it's back to normal after I reset to default settings.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 22:44   #49445  |  Link
ryrynz

Did you make a copy first? Madshi may be interested in knowing what's going on with junk in the profile.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 12:46   #49446  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

Any Windows 10 users here?
When I experimented with it a while ago I had a significant issue with video playback: after I left the media player paused for a while and wanted to resume playback the video froze with madVR (not sure about other renderers, I forgot whether I checked or not...). I had to stop playback and restart. Very inconvenient.

Do such things still happen on Windows 10?

BTW. How does it compare to Windows 8.1 from the aspect of multimedia?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:28   #49447  |  Link
mclingo

anyone else out there with a 2015 or 2016 LG OLED without a pro calibration, just wondering what you've set your MADVR calibration to, DCI-P3 / power curve 2.20 looks the best to my eyes, with calibration disabled MADVR is overblowing colour, mainly reds for me.

No idea if this is even correct.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:31   #49448  |  Link
foozoor

Is madVR dead or its development stalled?
Did mpv win the battle?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:50   #49449  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Did mpv win the battle?
No, and no.
Old 8th March 2018, 17:13   #49450  |  Link
clsid

Madshi is often inactive here for long periods. That is when he is busy performing magic. Just be patient, a shiny new version will appear eventually
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 17:34   #49451  |  Link
cremor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Any Windows 10 users here?
When I experimented with it a while ago I had a significant issue with video playback: after I left the media player paused for a while and wanted to resume playback the video froze with madVR (not sure about other renderers, I forgot whether I checked or not...). I had to stop playback and restart. Very inconvenient.

Do such things still happen on Windows 10?
Yes, I sometimes have the same problem, but it only happens if you leave the PC long enough so that Windows turns off the display. So one workaround would be to increase that time or disable the function completely.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 18:50   #49452  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
The latest version is slightly over one month old and development has stalled?
Old 8th March 2018, 19:36   #49453  |  Link
nussman

This foozoor posted similar posts in other threads. Just ignore it please ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 20:32   #49454  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
anyone else out there with a 2015 or 2016 LG OLED without a pro calibration, just wondering what you've set your MADVR calibration to, DCI-P3 / power curve 2.20 looks the best to my eyes, with calibration disabled MADVR is overblowing colour, mainly reds for me.

No idea if this is even correct.
2016 LG Oled owner here.

Do you have the color gamut on your TV set to something other than normal? With normal you should get correct colors in madVR with calibration disabled.

If you set the color gamut to wide than madVR set to DCI-P3 looks correct, not sure if it's 100% though.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 22:35   #49455  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
2016 LG Oled owner here.

Do you have the color gamut on your TV set to something other than normal? With normal you should get correct colors in madVR with calibration disabled.

If you set the color gamut to wide than madVR set to DCI-P3 looks correct, not sure if it's 100% though.
that was my first thought but I've got it set to normal even on my HDR preset.

I didnt actually notice this until I watched star wars the phantom menace recently, the scene where the princess is called an Angel by Anakin when they meet for the firs time, their faces are really red.

i'll try get some pictures.

note, it cant be my TV as when I switch renderer to something else its fine, its just MADVR.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fperqvu4g...oblem.jpg?dl=0

Even allowing for my crappy mobile photos you can see a clear difference, top is standard EVR renderer in MPC-HC, middle is MADVR+ MPC-HC with calibration disabled, bottom is with MADVR calibration enabled. In situe the top one look most accurate, followed by the bottom with the middle with blown out reds.

Again, i'm only seeing this in MADVR, all other renderes are fine so its not my TV or GFX card. I've tried a full wipe and reinstall of MADVR, i've had this issue for the last few versions.

Last edited by mclingo; 8th March 2018 at 22:54.
Old 8th March 2018, 23:13   #49456  |  Link
j82k

I just tried EVR and madVR side by side and the colors look identical so there must be something wrong or buggy with your setup. Did you check the "color and gamma" tab in madVR? Maybe you messed around with it and then forgot about it?
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 23:23   #49457  |  Link
mclingo

yeah nothing in there, its a totally clean untouched install, no idea whats going on.
Old 8th March 2018, 23:32   #49458  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
I just tried EVR and madVR side by side and the colors look identical so there must be something wrong or buggy with your setup. Did you check the "color and gamma" tab in madVR? Maybe you messed around with it and then forgot about it?
How did you show them side by side, when I come out of full screen any processing MADVR is doing is removed so they do look iddentical, has to be in full screen.

Also, is there a performance hit when you use calibrated settings?

EDIT, this isnt quite right, it does look correct out of full screen and if I change to BT2020 I can see the change, the colors are becoming overblown only when i'm in full screen, whats going on there then???

Last edited by mclingo; 8th March 2018 at 23:47.
Old 8th March 2018, 23:42   #49459  |  Link
Asmodian

There is a small performance hit when using a 3DLUT but "calibration disabled" is actually the same as the default already calibrated setting (BT.709, pure power 2.2); there is no change in performance between already calibrated and calibration disabled.

There should be no difference between fullscreen and windowed.
Old 8th March 2018, 23:47   #49460  |  Link
mclingo

ok found the problem - this happens only in full screen and when i have DIRECT3D 11 for presentation enabled in rendering, which I need enabled for HDR playback, ideas anyone?

Last edited by mclingo; 8th March 2018 at 23:50.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling