Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 28th June 2018, 14:36   #27481  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Question about menu item text placement

What is the leading, in pixels, from one menu item line to the next, within a 1080 menu?

Thanks.
Sorry. I'm not sure what you are asking.

The spacing between lines is variable based on the value of MENU_TOP (see hidden options) and a constant assumption of 16 menu items per column. If you set MENU_TOP to a fairly high value (the default is 200), you normally would have to decrease the font size in order to avoid overlap.

Not sure if that helps.
Old 29th June 2018, 00:55   #27482  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The spacing between lines is variable based on the value of MENU_TOP (see hidden options) and a constant assumption of 16 menu items per column. If you set MENU_TOP to a fairly high value (the default is 200), you normally would have to decrease the font size in order to avoid overlap.
None of my jobs have a menu top. I create the menu background image for all jobs. A menu page will never have more than 10 items. With that info in hand, can you give an idea of what the spacing would be, in pixels?

Thanks.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 15:17   #27483  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
None of my jobs have a menu top. I create the menu background image for all jobs. A menu page will never have more than 10 items. With that info in hand, can you give an idea of what the spacing would be, in pixels?

Thanks.
The spacing is (1000 - MENU_TOP) / 16. So the default spacing (MENU_TOP=200) would be 50 pixels on a 1920x1080 screen.
Old 29th June 2018, 20:10   #27484  |  Link
ggtop

strange artifact with SupTitle()

Hi all,

first of know: I know that nearly all issues I have are subtitle-related...no comment :-)

I wonder if someone came across this issue. Source is a Bluray with some extras in 480i: Aristocats (had the same issue with some James Bond 'A view to a kill' btw).
I want to encode an extra to alternate output (mp4) and as soon as subtitles are displayed I get this massive green bar at the left side. I upscaled, downscaled, whatever, the bar persists. It vanishes after the presentation time of the subtitle. As SupTitle plugin is no longer developed I wonder if someone found a work-around.

EDIT: Using DGDecNV as frame server. Using internal LAV the bar gets smaller but is still there. Autocrop and deinterlacing make no difference. AviSynth script looks like this:
Code:
#Created by BD Master Toolkit - v0.50.25
LoadPlugin("C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Software\DGDecNV\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("C:\Users\xxx\Videos\BD_WORK_1\WORKFILES\VID_00106.DGI", fieldop=0)
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\SupTitle.dll")
SupTitle("C:\Users\xxx\Videos\BD_WORK_1\WORKFILES\00106.track_4608.sup")
ConvertToYV12()
LoadPlugin("C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Software\BD_Rebuilder\tools\decomb521.dll")
FieldDeinterlace(blend=true)
BilinearResize(720,480)
ConvertToYV12().AssumeFPS(30000,1001)
ggtop
Attached Images

Last edited by ggtop; 29th June 2018 at 20:20.
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 21:39   #27485  |  Link
raisingcanex

MKV output

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I have been trying to understand using the mkv format to do my Blu-rays. I was using the folder structure before. With the size of 9gb on the file size. But some of the programs I am using does not recognize the folder structure. Now, when I'm trying to do MKV under alternate file output. I would try the 1080 with intact audio. Because sound is just as important to me as video. But when it's finished the file size is compressed to much. For example, having a Blu-ray with a original size of 42gb, and when the process is finished in came out under 1gb. Another was under 2gb. Some of them seem to have even lost some black level. Which I can understand to some degree with any compressing. But under the process with the 9gb folder structure was much more than the mkv, as far as black level. How can I get to get it to output between 8gb - 12gb with audio intact as a mkv. Or what settings should I be selecting. Or am I not suppose to be in the Alternate Outputs. Please help. Thanks
raisingcanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2018, 22:14   #27486  |  Link
ggtop

Which CRF value are you using when outputting to MKV?
Also depends which Equipment you are using for viweing: 32 inch TV or 150 inch beamer. CRF value of 20 should give pretty good results. the lower the better. Anything below 18 is a waste in most peoples' opinion.

ggtop
Old 29th June 2018, 22:55   #27487  |  Link
raisingcanex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
Which CRF value are you using when outputting to MKV?
Also depends which Equipment you are using for viweing: 32 inch TV or 150 inch beamer. CRF value of 20 should give pretty good results. the lower the better. Anything below 18 is a waste in most peoples' opinion.

ggtop
Not sure what CRF is. But the TV I'm using is a 80"
Old 29th June 2018, 23:21   #27488  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
The spacing is (1000 - MENU_TOP) / 16. So the default spacing (MENU_TOP=200) would be 50 pixels on a 1920x1080 screen.
Thanks.
Old 30th June 2018, 09:20   #27489  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcanex View Post
CRF means C onstant R ate F actor. That setting controls the encoder output quality-wise.

In BDRB goto menu "Mode" and "- Alternate Movie-Only Output" (accessible if "Movie-Only Output" is selected also unser "Mode"). You'll see a list with the pre-defined profiles. Each Profile (that is not "intact video") gives you the opportunity to switch between different encoding modes. You'll see some checkboxes (1. CRF, 2. Two Pass, 3. Two Pass Target, ...) Which one is selected and which value are you using?

ggtop
Old 30th June 2018, 22:16   #27490  |  Link
raisingcanex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
CRF means C onstant R ate F actor. That setting controls the encoder output quality-wise.

In BDRB goto menu "Mode" and "- Alternate Movie-Only Output" (accessible if "Movie-Only Output" is selected also unser "Mode"). You'll see a list with the pre-defined profiles. Each Profile (that is not "intact video") gives you the opportunity to switch between different encoding modes. You'll see some checkboxes (1. CRF, 2. Two Pass, 3. Two Pass Target, ...) Which one is selected and which value are you using?

ggtop
It was on Two Pass and the value was 1024. Thanks for your help.
Old 1st July 2018, 15:18   #27491  |  Link
MrVideo

Text not being placed as configured

I configured the text to be placed at 500 vertical and 750 horizontal. If you look at this screen shot (photo), you'll see that the text is placed correctly horizontally. But vertically it seems to be at 537 pixels from the top.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Please don't tell me that the text is being placed based upon the top of the text cell. It should be placed according to the text baseline.
Old 1st July 2018, 20:01   #27492  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Text not being placed as configured

I configured the text to be placed at 500 vertical and 750 horizontal. If you look at this screen shot (photo), you'll see that the text is placed correctly horizontally. But vertically it seems to be at 537 pixels from the top.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Please don't tell me that the text is being placed based upon the top of the text cell. It should be placed according to the text baseline.
Ok. I won't tell you. But that is how it works with the Microsoft provided subroutines that place the text into the bitmap.
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:03   #27493  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Ok. I won't tell you.

Quote:
But that is how it works with the Microsoft provided subroutines that place the text into the bitmap.
Is there way to take the value that M$ supplies and fudge it to get it near what the user actually wants?

If not, a note in the hidden text for that value (MENU_TOP/MENU_VERTICAL) to indicate what the placement value actually means, i.e. top of text cell, not the value at text base line? Also indicating that when using defaults, the offset from cell top is 37 pixels to text baseline.

Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:39   #27494  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Is there way to take the value that M$ supplies and fudge it to get it near what the user actually wants?

If not, a note in the hidden text for that value (MENU_TOP/MENU_VERTICAL) to indicate what the placement value actually means, i.e. top of text cell, not the value at text base line? Also indicating that when using defaults, the offset from cell top is 37 pixels to text baseline.

Thanks.
Unfortunately that doesn't work, because different fonts can be used and the offset would change.

I don't think I agree that this is what the "user actually wants". I think most people would assume the offset is from the top/left of the screen to the top/left of the first character block.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd July 2018 at 16:41.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 16:40   #27495  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Well i do think there is one way around that issue. Use CAPITAL LETTERS. Should make every letter the same size, and position properly accordingly

@jdobbs any news on that 3D SEI data test build (sry if i keep nagging, i just really want to test this, and i don't wanna mess with command line stuff myself in case i'd F... things up)
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:33   #27496  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Unfortunately that doesn't work, because different fonts can be used and the offset would change.
Shouldn't make a difference, unless you used a difference point size. That is the whole idea behind a "point" size for a font.
Quote:
I don't think I agree that this is what the "user actually wants". I think most people would assume the offset is from the top/left of the screen to the top/left of the first character block.
I guess I'm not most people. As you can see from the image of the screen, the idea is to align the baseline of the "date" images with the baseline of the menu text. That can't be done working with the top of the character cell.

Depending on the program being used, say a word document program, text is normally placed inside of a text cell. In that case, the text line is fit against the upper-left corner. But, in programs like Illustrator and Photoshop, when text is place on the screen and NOT placed in a cell box, the text baseline is used as the reference. I have no clue as to what M$ provides for text manipulation capabilities. The font baseline is a known value.

So, in this case, I was thinking the text would be placed more free form, i.e., baseline.

Needless to say, I won't be doing these types of menus very often.
Old 3rd July 2018, 05:40   #27497  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Well i do think there is one way around that issue. Use CAPITAL LETTERS. Should make every letter the same size, and position properly accordingly
Nope. That isn't how text characters work. A character cell is the same size, no matter if it is lower case or upper case. Dig into programs that are used for character creation.
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:22   #27498  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
...Now, when I'm trying to do MKV under alternate file output. I would try the 1080 with intact audio. Because sound is just as important to me as video. But when it's finished the file size is compressed to much. For example, having a Blu-ray with a original size of 42gb, and when the process is finished in came out under 1gb. Another was under 2gb. Some of them seem to have even lost some black level. Which I can understand to some degree with any compressing. But under the process with the 9gb folder structure was much more than the mkv, as far as black level. How can I get to get it to output between 8gb - 12gb with audio intact as a mkv. Or what settings should I be selecting. Or am I not suppose to be in the Alternate Outputs. Please help. Thanks
Quote:
I do all my conversions as "alt-Movie Only"... I pick "MKV Container, 1920x1080 Intact Audio" For the check boxes below that I pick Constant Rate Factor Output (CRF) and enter 21 in the box.

That gives me a great balance of video quality, file size and keeps the audio tracks, including any HD audio.

Most of the resulting MKV files are between 7-10gig. Movies with HD audio or multiple audio tracks can result in bigger MKV files. Conversions where the original disc only has DD/DTS non-HD, and only one or two audio tracks, the resulting MKV could be as small as 5-6gig.

Usually I don't notice any difference in video quality between the MKV and the original disc when watching on my on my Sony 55" HX750, 46" XBR6 or 43" XBR 4K. (I use a Fire TV 2nd Gen box, with Kodi and MrMC to play the MKV's off a file share, or the Plex app to play back from a Plex Media Server)

IF/when I watch a converted file and I notice enough black crush or blockiness, or color banding in particular scenes or situations to be annoying (which is rare!!) I might change the CRF value to 20 or 19 and convert again. The resulting file size is bigger, but for the most part video quality isn't "night and day" better, so I rarely change it.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 3rd July 2018 at 15:25.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 16:22   #27499  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Shouldn't make a difference, unless you used a difference point size. That is the whole idea behind a "point" size for a font.
Thanks for the lecture, Capt Obvious. It's amazing that I've managed to last this long without your insights! That's pretty much what I meant by changing the font. As the spacing gets adjusted, the point size changes as well. Otherwise the text in the lines would start overlapping very quickly.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd July 2018 at 16:31.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2018, 18:49   #27500  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
That's pretty much what I meant by changing the font. As the spacing gets adjusted, the point size changes as well. Otherwise the text in the lines would start overlapping very quickly.
Sorry, wasn't obvious that you were also talking about point size. To me, changing a font doesn't mean changing the point size.

I'll just have to remember to subtract 37 from any vertical position I am interested in (if I really need to be specific). The most I will do is 7 lines a page, but usually only 5. That should result in sticking with the defaults.