Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 2nd November 2016, 21:36   #1  |  Link
KahnDigifer
Digital Devil

HEVC encoded exports come out in 3840x2176 instead of 3840x2160

I'm using my Nvidia gtx 1070's hardware acceleration to export 4k movie files encoded in h.265. I have tried both Staxrip (using the NVEncC app by rigaya) and TMPGEnc Master Works 6, and no matter how I play with the pixel aspect ratio and display aspect ratio, the width and height of the output file is changed from the original 3840x2160 size to 3840x2176 every time. That doesn't happen when I export in h.264, where the output file will remain 3840x2160 like I want it to. I'm only going to use these 4k movies for viewing on a 4k pc monitor, which is 3840x2160 resolution. I don't know why h.265 is giving me those extra 16 pixels. Is it impossible to get 3840x2160 exports in h.265 or am I doing something wrong somewhere? Has anyone else had this issue?

If I need to provide more information then I can post additional info that's needed.
KahnDigifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 02:42   #2  |  Link
FancyMouse

Definitely not fault of h265 - it has various ways to get to a precise resolution. MinCbSize controls the minimum granularity of decoded picture (could be smaller than Ctb size, and last row/column of Ctb can span across boundary of picture). conformance window data in SPS can further restrict decoded picture to some output picture size (could be any size as long as chroma subsampling can still be well defined).

Seeing that 2176 is the smallest multiple of 32 to fit 2160, probably the encoder you're using is simply not supporting Ctbs crossing the boundary of decoded picture. If you can specify ctb size and if you specify it to be 16, then my guess is it may be able to produce 2160.
FancyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3840x2160, gpu acceleration, h.265, hevc, nvidia