Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th June 2017, 19:39   #26021  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Ahh I'm doing Alt-MovieOnly-MKV... not BD-25 or the like. And I've been running with Don't convert DTS to AC3 and Keep HD intact.... So seems like if I uncheck Keep HD I should get just core DTS?
Yep... ;^)
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 19:57   #26022  |  Link
spotswood

DTS-MA 7.1 to AC3 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Hi all... recently rebuilt Rouge One as a BD9 (Movie & Menus) using the latest v0.50.23 and re-encoded the DTS-MA 7.1 to AC3 5.1. This particular title uses multiple .m2ts files and as the movie plays, when moving from one .m2ts to the next there is an audible scratchy noise for a split second, very distracting. Any ideas? Thanks for any help/suggestions...
OK, so I've done a few more tests. I ran another job same as above just to make sure and the scratchy noise remains between .m2ts files. Also burned a DVD+R DL and played it in my Samsung player, scratchy noise persists...

Ran another keeping the DTS core w/BD9 and the soundtrack played clean in Kodi and I don't hear the scratchy noise between .m2ts files, interesting. I also did a movie-only BD9 re-encoding to AC3 and the soundtrack also plays cleanly w/no scratchy noise, probably because the multiple .m2ts files are all combined into one for movie-only. So I've kept the latter for the time being hoping a fix can be found for this minor bug. Thanks again for the replies and help and thank you jdobbs for the great program!

Last edited by spotswood; 15th June 2017 at 20:07.
Old 15th June 2017, 20:07   #26023  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
So I've kept the latter for the time being hoping a fix can be found for this minor bug.
So, why not roll with the DTS core, which involves no recoding, and gives you the audio as intended by the studio?

There are those that say DTS is better than Dolby Digital.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 20:35   #26024  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
So, why not roll with the DTS core, which involves no recoding, and gives you the audio as intended by the studio?

There are those that say DTS is better than Dolby Digital.
Because I get a higher video bitrate w/BD9-AC3 and a negligible decrease in sound quality from the DTS core (again in my opinion), just personal preference. Must be those "top men" that say DTS is better... ;^)
Old 15th June 2017, 22:19   #26025  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Must be those "top men" that say DTS is better... ;^)
Saw it in a Wiki page about DTS. We all know how Wiki pages are always 100% right/correct.
Old 15th June 2017, 22:26   #26026  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Because I get a higher video bitrate w/BD9-AC3 and a negligible decrease in sound quality from the DTS core
I'm curious... What bitrate do you get between the two of them?

You know, you could get a QNAP 12 bay NAS and put 10 TB drives in it, running two RAID6 volumes. That would get you about 72 TB of storage. You could then save the files at BD25 rates and keep the high res audio.

Ya, I know, you have to win Powerball for that to happen.
Old 15th June 2017, 23:09   #26027  |  Link
spotswood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You'd be surprised how much space is used by HD audio --

IMHO anything greater than AC3 @ 640Kbs is a waste of space unless you really, really need more than 5.1 channels. I know people argue about that all the time, and that's why BD-RB allows you to do it however you want. But I trust science, and the double-blind tests (conducted by Dolby) show that 640Kbs AC3 encoding is indistinguishable to the human ear from the original audio (this is where I invariably get all the subjective "Yeah, but I can hear it with my magic ears" comments). I personally believe "HD Audio" to be nothing more than snake oil, it's just snake oil that happens to be selling very well.

On the other hand, opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one -- and nobody cares about anybody else's. Mine included.
From the man himself. Science! I rest my case. No more questions ur honor... ;^)
Old 16th June 2017, 02:41   #26028  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
“A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.”
― Groucho Marx
LOVE Groucho! (I haven't been getting any notifications since 5/31 - just NOW saw this.....)

Last edited by Lathe; 16th June 2017 at 05:26.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 10:58   #26029  |  Link
gamete

Good morning

Is it possible make BD from 5 mkv ?
For example

Mkv1
Mkv2
Mkv3
Mkv4
Mkv5

Into 1 BD 25GB ?

What is the Best option to use ?

Thanks
gamete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 20:43   #26030  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamete View Post
Short answer is yes.
Quote:
What is the Best option to use?
Therein lies the longer answer. It isn't so much an option as the steps needed. All depending on the ifs.

As for options, the only ones to worry about are what you want for the menu font, its color, etc.

If you do not have a BD25-RW disc, get one. You'll want to test what you've done on a rewritable, otherwise you will end up burning coasters. Hardly anyone gets it right the first time around.

OK, first off, what is the video and audio formats contained within the MKV file? Hopefully the video is H.264, BD compliant. The audio needs to be BD compliant at well, though until jdobbs puts out a new version that will allow DD+ audio, any DD+ audio must be converted before use.

If the video and audio are BD compliant and the total size of all the files will fit on the BD-25, then you have the easiest numbers of steps to make a disc:
  1. Go thru all of the options and set the fonts for the menu to what you want, including color.
  2. Import the MKV files
  3. Set up the menu, sorting the order of the imported files and setting the menu titles for the file. Set the overall title as well.
  4. When menu setup is done, BDRB will now mux all of the files and create the menu.
  5. Done. Burn the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories onto a BD25-RW and test.
Do not close BDRB, as you may need what has been done so far. If the BD videos do not play in your BD player, then the videos were not BD compliant and BDRB must recode them. At this point, go back to the BDRB program and click on the Backup button. BD-RB will now recode all of the videos and build an ISO for you to burn to BD25-RW.

If you desire, you can create your own menu background and import it into BDRB. If you do that, when building the menu, clear the text for the menu title. You will need to position the text using the offsets available in the options. Go back thru the thread and you will find a post from me that provides a couple of templates that have grids to give you a guide as to what to use. I try and center the text horizontally and that depends on the longest menu item. It also depends on the number of menu items on a page. If have 8, or less, set the menu item count per page to 8 and then BDRB won't try and default to two columns, giving a longer line length for those 8.

If you have the means in which to play ISO files, then you won't need the BD25-RW media. You'll just need ImgBurn in order to create an ISO from the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories.

Here is a little bit of a monkey wrench... if the videos you want to import are 1080i29.97 and have 2:3 pulldown video, then you will have to continue on thru the Backup portion and set the IVTC option to 1. That way the 2-3 pulldown will be removed and the video recoded to 1080p23.976. You really do not want 1080i29.97 2:3 pulldown video on BD.

If you have a mixture of non-2:3 pulldown and 2:3 pulldown video, I do not know what to do in that case.

Lastly, if you made a mistake, you must start over. BDRB currently does not have the means in which to keep the menu you had created, i.e., when you import the files again, the menu info will be reset. I've asked for a feature that allows for keeping the menu text.

Experiment. I did a lot of that when I first started making my own Blu-rays from scratch. If you get stumped, post a specific question and we'll get back to you.
Old 17th June 2017, 07:16   #26031  |  Link
gamete

With bdrebuilder is possible make a menu ?
i dont' find this option
Old 17th June 2017, 09:56   #26032  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Good morning

For example

Mkv1
Mkv2
Mkv3
Mkv4
Mkv5

Into 1 BD 25GB ?

What is the Best option to use ?
Thanks
I don't want to complicate things for you but I have created many BD projects with menus from mkv files with multiAVCHD.
It's a bit of a learning curve but once you get an idea of how to make a workflow it does it's job well.
Sadly the software is no longer developed and it has some bugs.
It's a lot of fun to use so have a go at it!

https://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

Edit: Forgot to mention that if the output gets to big to fit on a BD25GB, well that's when BDRB can do it's magic!

Last edited by varekai; 17th June 2017 at 10:05.
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 10:07   #26033  |  Link
gamete

Maybe is more simple DVDFAB without compression
Old 17th June 2017, 10:17   #26034  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Maybe is more simple DVDFAB without compression
Sorry I don't understand what you mean?
Personally I'd stay away from the "monkey".
Old 17th June 2017, 10:20   #26035  |  Link
gamete

Maybe is more simple DVDFAB without compression for create a BD structure from MKV

After if necessary compression with BDrebuilder
Old 17th June 2017, 10:35   #26036  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Maybe is more simple DVDFAB without compression for create a BD structure from MKV

After if necessary compression with BDrebuilder
OK, I understand. I have used a trial of the "monkey" some years ago,
never bought a license though. Didn't like it at all.
For me my workflow is the "red fox" for ripping,
multiAVCHD for creating menus with my own pictuers etc.,
both from BDMV folder structure and mkv files and also adding my own subtitles,
then BDRB for compressing. Works fine for me.
Old 17th June 2017, 10:50   #26037  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
With bdrebuilder is possible make a menu ?
i dont' find this option
See steps 2 & 3 in my post. After you've imported the files, you are automatically presented with the GUI to set up the text for the menu items. It isn't an option.
Old 17th June 2017, 11:02   #26038  |  Link
gamete

thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:03   #26039  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
I don't want to complicate things for you but I have created many BD projects with menus from mkv files with multiAVCHD.
I did not like how the software progressed from one menu item to the next. Plus, it never added to ability to have a simple text menu, which BDRB has. The transition from one menu page to another is very smooth.

I create my own image background for the menu. Placed on it is the simple text for the menu items. I can pick the font and its color.

IMHO, BDRB, beats multiAVCHD, hands down. Can it be improved? Of course it can. Every program can be improved. I've put forward some suggestions.
Old 17th June 2017, 11:20   #26040  |  Link
varekai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I did not like how the software progressed from one menu item to the next. Plus, it never added to ability to have a simple text menu, which BDRB has. The transition from one menu page to another is very smooth.

I create my own image background for the menu. Placed on it is the simple text for the menu items. I can pick the font and its color.

IMHO, BDRB, beats multiAVCHD, hands down. Can it be improved? Of course it can. Every program can be improved. I've put forward some suggestions.
You are probaly right, me using multiAVCHD is out of old habit and they seems to die hard.
Never tried menu option in BDRB, guess I'll have to give it try when a new project arises.