Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 29th January 2009, 23:28   #221  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Also, what about using a metric other than mean squared error? SSIM might be a good one to try for, or perhaps something like x264's psy-RD metric.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 15:18   #222  |  Link
MfA

There is no need to simultaneous optimize interpolation and texture synthesis, unlike encoding there is no gain to be had from reusing artefacts as texture. You can always add texture in a separate pass.
MfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 19:22   #223  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfA View Post
There is no need to simultaneous optimize interpolation and texture synthesis
Why not?
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 20:19   #224  |  Link
MfA

Because "You can always add texture in a separate pass.". With H264 if the noise doesn't get encoded then all you have left is a smoothed result, if slightly misaligning edges etc. allows you to maintain some texture and get a better looking picture that's what you do ... because there is no better alternative. With interpolation you have the luxury to add texture afterwards, so you can concentrate on making the optimal interpolator for features which can be well predicted first (mostly edges).

Weighted predictors are not great texture synthesizers anyway.
Old 4th February 2009, 07:03   #225  |  Link
tritical

@Dark Shikari
I have tried some other metrics, but with the current algorithm and number of data points it really has to be something completely independent of other pixels (or at least independent of pixels in other clusters) so that the weights for each cluster can be learned separately. SSIM can be computed for a single pixel change, but it doesn't work very well in my experience.

The latest idea I've been working with is to switch from a bunch of separate non-linear regression problems to one classification problem. In other words, switch from learning interpolation functions for a given set of groupings (the clusters learned through k-means combined with euclidean distance metric) to learning the grouping function for 'n' sets of linear interpolation weights.

I initialize k-means as usual (to get the initial groupings), but instead of regrouping the pixels based on euclidean distance to the mean of each cluster, I calculate the linear least squares interpolation coefficients for each cluster. I then reassign pixels to the cluster whose interpolation coefficients give the minimum squared error for that pixel, and keep repeating that until convergence (overall mse stops dropping significantly). I've found that it only needs ~16-32 sets of coefficients to get very nice results (I used about 5 million points from my 740 frame video to cluster, then tested it on the whole video by choosing the best set of weights for each pixel). Now, the problem becomes creating a classifier to choose which set of weights to use.

Last edited by tritical; 4th February 2009 at 07:17.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:15   #226  |  Link
MfA

A problem with MSE (and SSIM) is that it heavily punishes outliers, which is fine for a quality metric ... but not good in a classifier.

PS. I find it curious you chose to optimize interpolation without simultaneously optimizing the classifier (ie. optimizing the interpolation weights with an oracle classifier). I would have expected you to optimize both at the same time. What classifier did you end up using?

Last edited by MfA; 4th February 2009 at 19:22.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:49   #227  |  Link
tritical

As you say, it's possible to iteratively optimize both... train classifier(s) a little, train interpolation coefficients a little (or solve if direct solution exists), keep repeating. Or did you have something different in mind?

I haven't gotten that far yet. I am still testing different classifiers. Main restriction on what can be used is computation time, since it is typically going to be run on ~25-35% of pixels in a frame (~80k-120k for a 720x480 frame). What has worked best is a basic nn trained to select classes by minimizing squared error of the resulting interpolation (if there are 16 classes, then the nn has 16 output neurons and the one with the largest value is the chosen class). Actually, it worked better to not have the nn choose a single class, but to use its outputs as linear combination weights (either after applying softmax activation or normalizing so they sum to 1). However, having it output combination weights makes iterative optimization with the interpolation coefficients more complicated.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:15   #228  |  Link
MfA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritical View Post
Actually, it worked better to not have the nn choose a single class, but to use its outputs as linear combination weights (either after applying softmax activation or normalizing so they sum to 1). However, having it output combination weights makes iterative optimization with the interpolation coefficients more complicated.
Wouldn't that only make sense if during application of the filter you also use the weighted combination of all predictors? Doesn't seem a realistic option.

By the way, why did you decide to second guess the CMA-ES algorithm? (ie. why not just let it optimize the entire system of both classifiers and predictors in one go.)
Old 9th November 2009, 13:43   #229  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@tritical,

have you checked out iNEDI yet? It seems to be an noticeable improvement over the original NEDI algorithm. Maybe you could implement some of iNEDI's ideas into your NNEDI?

http://www.tecnick.com/pagefiles/app...cola_Asuni.pdf
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 14:42   #230  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Looks like even iNEDI has been surpassed:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/bmvc2008.../papers/43.pdf

Is up to 10 times faster when compared to NEDI too.

EDIT:
And even ICBI has been surpassed:

http://www.eurasip.org/Proceedings/E...1569192778.pdf

Last edited by tetsuo55; 9th November 2009 at 14:49.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 18:56   #231  |  Link
tritical

Learning the interpolation weights based on the low res image works alright for image enlargement, but isn't any good for deinterlacing because too much information is missing. For now I'm more interested in deinterlacing interpolation than enlargement. The iterative energy minimization post-processing described in the ICBI paper is interesting though, and could be useful for deinterlacing. I will try running it on the result of nnedi2/eedi2 and see how it looks.

It also doesn't appear that MEDI > ICBI > iNEDI is always the case based on the results in that last paper. Looks like it depends on the image content, which isn't surprising. It would be interesting to see how nnedi2 compares psnr/ssim wise.

In the future I plan to revisit nedi... mainly because at the time I wrote ediupsizer I didn't have a full understanding of the mathematics/concepts involved. I will definitely keep these papers in mind as well .
Old 9th November 2009, 19:05   #232  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritical View Post
It also doesn't appear that MEDI > ICBI > iNEDI is always the case based on the results in that last paper. Looks like it depends on the image content, which isn't surprising. It would be interesting to see how nnedi2 compares psnr/ssim wise.
At a first glance i was confused about this too.

But as i read more, it became more and more obvious that the newer ones, and especially MEDI goes for the phycovisually better result, at the cost of some PSNR and SSIM

Also i find it very interesting that these algo´s can be used for deinterlacing.

It would be great to have a universal, MEDI based scaler-deinterlacer that always works, regardless of I or P content
Old 9th November 2009, 22:19   #233  |  Link
MfA

The extreme staircasing of the image in the MEDI paper for bilinear makes me think they used decimation for downsampling in their tests (which makes the results pretty much irrelevant for normal upsampling).

PS. the gaps from the spokes to the rim are pretty damning, I'm 99% sure they used decimation ... poor show.

Last edited by MfA; 9th November 2009 at 22:27.
Old 9th November 2009, 22:22   #234  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Yeah i think the top 3, should be tested on realworld moving video.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:12   #235  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

For those interested, here's the Clown resampled by ICBI:

http://madshi.net/clownICBI.png

ICBI seems to be a bit soft to me, but on the positive side it looks quite smooth and natural and doesn't seem to add any artifacts (other than those already in the source, like the pole halo in the Clown image).
Old 13th November 2009, 10:30   #236  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

I agree that its very soft.

It appears like most high quality interpolators create a soft image.

But we could always add a sharpener at the end.

EDIT: actually i would describe it as slightly out of focus

Last edited by tetsuo55; 13th November 2009 at 10:44.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 01:48   #237  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

I tried to implement ICBI for deinterlacing. It doesn't work well. Well, it does work, but NNEDI2 works better and faster than my pixel shaders 3 implementation.
tetsuo55
ICBI is adjustable method. You can get sharper image with it if you play with parameters.
Old 14th November 2009, 09:45   #238  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Keeper View Post
ICBI is adjustable method. You can get sharper image with it if you play with parameters.
Which parameters did you change in which direction to get a sharper image? Probably choosing sharper parameters comes at the cost of curve smoothness, I guess?
Old 14th November 2009, 15:36   #239  |  Link
MfA

Softness in an interpolator isn't a bad thing.

There is a difference between interpolation and super-resolution. An interpolator generally conserves the original pixels ... this is fundamentally incorrect if you are trying to reconstruct a non-smoothed higher resolution image. For instance just because a pixel covers an edge in the low resolution image doesn't mean it covers it in the higher resolution one, so mixing colors from both sides of the edge could be fundamentally incorrect for the non smoothed higher resolution image.

To benchmark interpolators you should compare against the smoothed version of the higher resolution image, not the original higher resolution image. Sharpening and texture synthesis are not interpolation.

Which is not to say you couldn't do a single step super resolution algorithm ... it just wouldn't be a pure interpolator and shouldn't retain the original pixels from the low resolution image.

Last edited by MfA; 14th November 2009 at 15:46.
Old 16th November 2009, 04:43   #240  |  Link
Mystery Keeper
Beyond Kawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Which parameters did you change in which direction to get a sharper image? Probably choosing sharper parameters comes at the cost of curve smoothness, I guess?
Why, of course it does. Second parameter - beta, is there to limit the smoothing out.

Tags
deinterlace, nnedi