Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th March 2014, 15:48   #25281  |  Link
qduaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG1292 View Post
How and where do we do this.
I did it with a library hack and only madshi can fix it permanently in madVR.
qduaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:10   #25282  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
I recommend 270x as the minimum graphics for NNEDI3 doubling.
Seems overkill for common sources. I'm surprised at what my HD7770 can do myself, 1.2x and 2.4x doubling is smooth on all >30p sources.

Last edited by markanini; 24th March 2014 at 16:14.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:12   #25283  |  Link
SUPERBIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
GPU only.
Thanks, but what about my current setup. Will that be good enough and what level of settings should I hope to reach?
SUPERBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:21   #25284  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBIF View Post
Thanks, but what about my current setup. Will that be good enough and what level of settings should I hope to reach?
I can't say for sure as I am not familiar with your setup but you should be able to tell by looking at the rendering time.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 16:55   #25285  |  Link
Vyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERBIF View Post
I've more or less the same specs (same CPU, 4GB memory, HD6850)
On Niyawa's madVR scaling algorithms chart, I can use the highest preset. IMO, with your GPU, you can try High or Mid.
Old 24th March 2014, 17:35   #25286  |  Link
SUPERBIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyral View Post
I've more or less the same specs (same CPU, 4GB memory, HD6850)
On Niyawa's madVR scaling algorithms chart, I can use the highest preset. IMO, with your GPU, you can try High or Mid.
Thanks for the answer but isn't hd6850 more powerful than hd6450?
SUPERBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 18:48   #25287  |  Link
daglax

I posted this a few pages ago and i do it again:

madvr's fps estimation is broken on any live sources. Madvr estimates the framerate to what the source says and not to what the actual decoder/post-processor says.
the problem is, that first smooth motion isn't working correctly on movies/tv-shows which sometimes (not very often either) switch framerate. That's a minor thing, because it's pretty rare.

the real problem is, that you can't use SVP or any other frame interpolation method correctly with madvr. first smooth motion's estimations are wrong, second NNEDI is way waaay to demanding on 60 fps (or more) videos.

is there any chance, this could be fixed?
daglax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 19:14   #25288  |  Link
seiyafan

It's all about the interop bug. I remember with 290x if I set the number of neurons to 16, the GPU utilization rate was never more than 30%, however the rendering time was still not short enough to not cause frame drop for 60p videos.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:31   #25289  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglax View Post
I posted this a few pages ago and i do it again:

madvr's fps estimation is broken on any live sources. Madvr estimates the framerate to what the source says and not to what the actual decoder/post-processor says.
are you sure the decoder/post-processor is even trying this? if svp is not giving this information how can madvr fix this?

Quote:
the real problem is, that you can't use SVP or any other frame interpolation method correctly with madvr. first smooth motion's estimations are wrong, second NNEDI is way waaay to demanding on 60 fps (or more) videos.
smooth motion works fine with VFR files so it used timestamps not fps to do this work if the timestamps of svp are right smooth motion should work.

and about nnedi, if you have to use is 2.5 time is normal that it needs a lot of gpu power what is wrong with this?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 21:42   #25290  |  Link
daglax

I don't know what you mean by VFR files.
But i do know that the decoder sure sets the fps output right. It's madvr that doesn't get it. If i hit ctrl+4 in MPC-HC, it says the correct fps. And ffdshow raw also shows to right fps.

About NNEDI: There's nothing wrong with high gpu usage, you missed my point . I was saying that 60 fps with high NNEDI-settings don't work for me, so i need a profile, that chooses the settings according to the source video frame rate - which madvr can't display right.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:55   #25291  |  Link
huhn

the statistics in mpc-hc doesn't mean madvr gets the info. it just show how many frame are displayed per sec. these numbers are calculated over time but madvr need them be for it starts playback. these number can change the hole time did you want madvr to change the display mode the hole time? and these numbers are inaccurate too.

this can may be get fixed in ffdshow. ffdshow just has to override the movie frame interval. but i'm pretty sure this will create a lot of problems...

if i'm not miss informed SVP starts delayed

VFR =variable frame rate
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 22:52   #25292  |  Link
daglax

ok thanks for helping. For now i live with the hotkey option. As i'm watching not that much in 60fps, this isn't a huge problem anyway.
Maybe it'll be working in future releases, but i doubt it.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:23   #25293  |  Link
rurifan

madshi, any thoughts about the impact of dithering on the motion interpolation algorithms in modern HDTVs? The new "change dither for every frame" option caught my attention considering that such algorithms rely on tracking things across frames, and introducing temporal noise might reduce their success.
rurifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 00:06   #25294  |  Link
*Touche*

Ugh, why would you ever want to use those?
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 00:29   #25295  |  Link
e-t172

So, umm...

I know I might be getting annoying with my frame drop issue, but this time it's clearly gone into paranormal voodoo magic head-banging territory.

I just got a GTX 770 (reminder: I have a 780 Ti) from a colleague for testing. Also note that for a while now I've been using a clean Windows 7 install on a separate drive dedicated to madVR testing.

Also bear in mind that I already changed motherboard, CPU, RAM, and even PSU (and the Windows install is on a different drive).

I'm still getting frame drops (one frame drop typically every 30 minutes or so). On the 770. With drivers 332.21, 335.23, and 327.33.

W T F.

*Every* single hardware and software component has been swapped. Completely fresh hardware with fresh Windows install and testing multiple driver versions. These frame drops keep haunting me everywhere I go. At this point I'm starting to wonder if I'm not becoming insane.

So, to the people who are reporting 0 frame drops even on long playbacks with smooth motion on, here's the one million dollar question: are you doing any special configuration? If you are changing power management settings, how exactly are you doing it? Hand-picked obscure driver version? Do you have non-standard flush settings, queue sizes, "use a separate device for presentation", "disable composition" settings? Are you using specific settings in the NVidia control panel? Are you using ReClock? Weird BIOS settings? Or any other weird trick that I don't know about that might be necessary to achieve perfect playback? Because, clearly, from my tests it is crystal clear that if some people manage to get it working, some default setting had to be changed somewhere and I don't know about it.

At this point I realize that there is one, and only one, hardware component that has not been swapped: the monitor. Oh well, I'll try that tomorrow. At this point I might just as well try black magic incantations.

Last edited by e-t172; 25th March 2014 at 00:41.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 00:34   #25296  |  Link
rurifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touche* View Post
Ugh, why would you ever want to use those?
Unfortunately, content producers have left us stuck with 24fps which is insufficient motion resolution to avoid wretched judder and strobing everywhere. Motion interpolation algorithms are not perfect (some better than others), but we're left picking the least-bad option: constant judder/strobing vs occasional interpolation artifacts.

Hopefully we can at least keep these algorithms in mind so that madvr doesn't do things which reduces their effectiveness.
rurifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 02:25   #25297  |  Link
Audionut

Don't use the option. Problem solved.
Old 25th March 2014, 02:54   #25298  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post
madshi, any thoughts about the impact of dithering on the motion interpolation algorithms in modern HDTVs? The new "change dither for every frame" option caught my attention considering that such algorithms rely on tracking things across frames, and introducing temporal noise might reduce their success.
That sounds like your best option would be to disable dithering altogether (use simple rounding), as even static dithering introduces some patterns. And that sounds just wrong.
So, I'd propose that if you really need Motion Interpolation, you experiment some and just use what works best for you...
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 02:54   #25299  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
I'm still getting frame drops (one frame drop typically every 30 minutes or so). On the 770. With drivers 332.21, 335.23, and 327.33.

Considering movies are usually two hours long, so you drop on the average 4-5 frames for one entire movie? That's about 0.2 seconds of frame dropping per ENTIRE movie.

On the other hand, blink of an eye takes 0.2 to 0.3 seconds. The average person blinks some 15-20 times per minute, or 1800-2400 times per a movie. According to the theory of probability, you chance of see a frame drop is pretty low.
Old 25th March 2014, 03:08   #25300  |  Link
*Touche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
*Every* single hardware and software component has been swapped. Completely fresh hardware with fresh Windows install and testing multiple driver versions. These frame drops keep haunting me everywhere I go. At this point I'm starting to wonder if I'm not becoming insane.
Not sure if you've already tried or if it could make any difference whatsoever, but can you try with another display?
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling