Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th January 2016, 21:35   #35141  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
2) 3D is enabled in MadVR settings. If I try to use the options to force the OS 3D enabling, although it shouldn't be necessary, I get a crash (I sent the bug report, please let me know if you need anything else).
For some reason I didn't get the crash report. Can you please upload it somewhere for me to look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
I've reported the issue in LAV Video, and nevcairiel fixed it, at least he said he did; but for me, there's no change in latest LAV+madVR+ReClock behavior for PAL video if it slowed down by ReClock and its framerate is doubled by YADIF: madVR still switches the display to 24 Hz (though ReClock does see that video stream is 50 fps).
What does the madVR Ctrl+J OSD say about "movie xx.xxx fps (says source filter)"? If that fps information is not correct, then it's not madVR's fault.

Quote:
A telecine source is always NTSC, therefore it's incorrect to force film mode in madVR for PALs, right?
Different people have different "definitions" of what telecined sources are. My personal opinion is that any interlaced source which can be turned back to progressive by weaving the correct fields together can be considered a telecined source. For any such source madVR's film mode should work very well.

Quote:
Which 3? YADIF, madVR's forced film mode and DXVA deinterlacing (= madVR's auto mode)?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakoboss7 View Post
i can confrim this also. it happened right after i updated.

also this happens all the time
If it happens all the time then please to capture it in a debug log. Also, while playback is frozen, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break, which should create a freeze report text file on your desktop. Please upload the zipped debug log and the freeze report somewhere (don't attach to this forum) to look at. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBot View Post
To clarify that, if I understand it correctly, the new feature uses / needs DirectX 11.2, which in fact is only available with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
The key problem is that Windows 8 introduced WDDM 1.2 drivers which add OS support for stereoscopic 3D output via HDMI 1.4+. The Windows 7 Platform Update retrofits some Direct3D11 features back into Windows 7, but the Windows 7 GPU drivers stay WDDM 1.1, so stereoscopic 3D output is only possible in Windows 8+.

There are custom APIs available from each GPU manufacturer for stereoscopic output in Windows 7. But I'm not going to implement support for that, because it would require me to spend many hours trying to make 3D work for each GPU manufacturer, while in Windows 8 it's built into the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Thanks for the latest version of MadVR! I guess now I have a reason to upgrade from Windows7? I guess I am forced to get Win10 or Win8 if I want to use MadVR for 3d blurays when they are supported? I guess it's not that big a deal for me as I have a standalone bluray player.
It's your decision. You can stick with Windows 7, madVR will continue to support it, probably for many years. However, it's very unlikely that 3D output will ever be supported in Windows 7. So if you want to use madVR to render 3D Blu-Rays, you probably have no other choice than to upgrade to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 21:49   #35142  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well, I'm not sure why it crashes. On my PC I could reproduce crashes when using D3D11 presentation with 3D enabled, when using v0.89.19, and it no longer crashes in v0.90.0 on my PC. But the crash was always in an NVidia driver DLL. It's not really that I fixed a bug or something, just some refresh rate related changes seem to have worked around the crash on my PC. If it still crashes for you, I've no idea what to do about it. It's most probably NVidia's bug and only they might be able to properly fix it, unfortunately.

D3D9 always worked for fine me, no blank screen and no crashes, with either v0.89.19 or v0.90.0.
Thanks Ill see what I can drum up with Nvidia on their support forums. I tried already being in the 3D mode and executing MPC-BE there directly in that mode so there is no 2D desktop shift (I normally run 2D desktop and just full screen swap it when doing say PowerDVD 3D blurays into 3D mode) but unfortunately already being in 3D doesnt workaround the crashing. This is an exciting feature and hopefully overtime the graphics stack will mature.
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 21:51   #35143  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Thanks Ill see what I can drum up with Nvidia on their support forums. I tried already being in the 3D mode and executing MPC-BE there directly in that mode so there is no 2D desktop shift (I normally run 2D desktop and just full screen swap it when doing say PowerDVD 3D blurays into 3D mode) but unfortunately already being in 3D doesnt workaround the crashing. This is an exciting feature and hopefully overtime the graphics stack will mature.
Are you saying that you're getting a crash even when doing actual 3D playback with MVC MKV files created with MakeMKV, using madVR v0.90.0 and the special LAV test build?
Old 11th January 2016, 22:08   #35144  |  Link
Nullack

That works OK for that narrow use case in DX11 FSE with 3D stereoscopic on, as long as Im already in 3D mode and not at a 2D desktop mode and require the app to enter into 3D full screen - that crashes. I have to be already in a 3D desktop for working 3D MVC playback.

The problems are with the rest of my regression test video library which is 2D as far as LAV is concerned (its a combination of non MVC 3D, and normal 2D). Even if I set madVR to disable 3D for 2D and also including to reset OS settings on exit, MPC-BE crashes. The workaround is either turn off 3d in madVR, or turn off 3d stereoscopic in Nvidia when trying to do 2D only. Im trying now to really nail down the exact situation so I can give Nvidia the best possible info.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:24   #35145  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Do you ever get a crash box looking like the following one when any of these crashes occur?

http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif

If so, please press "show bug report", then press Ctrl+C, then the bug report is in your clipboard. Please upload it somewhere for me to look at. If you don't get that crash box, then it's likely the NVidia driver DLL crashing again.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:28   #35146  |  Link
iakoboss7

Quote:
If it happens all the time then please to capture it in a debug log. Also, while playback is frozen, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break, which should create a freeze report text file on your desktop. Please upload the zipped debug log and the freeze report somewhere (don't attach to this forum) to look at. Thanks.
how do i get the debug log? i tried running "activate debug mode.bat" and it says "file madvr.ax not found".

the other one is here and as i said it happens if i minimize or another windows cover it! (btw if i go full screen the video starts playing again forwarding what it missed FAST until it gets to where its supposed to be and plays fine, cursor keeps moving and audio also keeps playing fine when video freezes).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9...ew?usp=sharing
iakoboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 22:33   #35147  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
What does the madVR Ctrl+J OSD say about "movie xx.xxx fps (says source filter)"? If that fps information is not correct, then it's not madVR's fault.
"25 fps". With ffdshow it reports the same, though madVR switches to 50 Hz, not 24.
Quote:
My personal opinion is that any interlaced source which can be turned back to progressive by weaving the correct fields together can be considered a telecined source. For any such source madVR's film mode should work very well.
On the bugtracker, huhn said a time ago:
Quote:
forced film mode can't handle interlaced sources is for telecine sources like most movies.
You said that he's right. Now you're saying that it should work with any source that can be turned back to progressive. I suppose that interlaced NTSC is that kind of source (at least YADIF can turn it back to progressive!). I'm confused.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 22:38   #35148  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Do you ever get a crash box looking like the following one when any of these crashes occur?

http://madshi.net/exc-ss3.gif
Mate its not those, I would have already sent those to ya Its MPC-BE crashing as a symptom with no madVR specific error message. I deeply suspect your right about it being an Nvidia driver root cause - its got all the hallmarks of what happened a few months back when I couldn't get madVR working at UHD resolutions on Windows 10. Last time I ended up getting PMs from Nvidia customer care staff on their forums after making a bit of noise over there and I emailed them with various kernel memory dumps (some cases nv processes would BSOD) and EDID data and so on. I know with Nvidia Im going to have to nail down all the facts and have a clear bug report as otherwise they wont even look at it, and even when you do have all that, it usually takes a fair bit of noise on their forums to get them to be serious about it and debug it. But Im a stubborn tester so I wont give up
Old 11th January 2016, 22:57   #35149  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
how do i get the debug log? i tried running "activate debug mode.bat" and it says "file madvr.ax not found".
Then manually rename "madVR.ax" to "madVR [release].ax", and then rename "madVR [debug].ax" to "madVR.ax". Do the same for madVR64.ax. Doing this is basically the same what the batch file is supposed to do. After having done this, reproduce the problem. There will be a VERY big log file on your desktop afterwards. Don't forget to rename the files back to their original names when you're done.

Please try to keep the log file "clean". Which means: After you've renamed the files, start a video, reproduce the problem, let the problem remain for maybe 20 seconds, then close the media player and upload the zipped log file. Done. Try to avoid changing the video player window size, or switching between fullscreen and windowed mode, if you can avoid it.

Quote:
the other one is here and as i said it happens if i minimize or another windows cover it! (btw if i go full screen the video starts playing again forwarding what it missed FAST until it gets to where its supposed to be and plays fine, cursor keeps moving and audio also keeps playing fine when video freezes).

Unfortunately it doesn't help. Will need the debug log.

Quote:
"25 fps". With ffdshow it reports the same, though madVR switches to 50 Hz, not 24.
And this is when using YADIF frame doubling? In that case madVR is obviously receiving incorrect information from the decoder. Which is not madVR's fault, but the fault of the decoder. So please follow up on this with the decoder developer(s). Will be hard for ffdshow, though, because nobody is developing it, anymore.

Quote:
On the bugtracker, huhn said a time ago:

You said that he's right. Now you're saying that it should work with any source that can be turned back to progressive. I suppose that interlaced NTSC is that kind of source (at least YADIF can turn it back to progressive!). I'm confused.
There are 2 different types of interlaced videos:

1) Natively interlaced videos, like sports or music concerts. In these files every field comes from a different point in time. So 50 fields were recorded at 50 different time points. You cannot turn this into progressive by weaving the fields together. You would get heavy combing artifacts if you tried. You need to use video mode deinterlacing for this, like YADIF or DXVA.

2) Telecined film content. This type of content was originally progressive, with either 24fps and 25fps, and then the encoder split it into interlaced fields. The original frames are just from 24 or 25 different points in time. This type of content can be converted back into progressive by simply weaving the right fields together.

huhn was talking about 1). madVR's forced film mode can only handle 2), but not 1). For 1) you need to use DXVA deinterlacing. YADIF is also mainly aimed at 1). Both YADIF and DXVA can also handle 2), but often madVR's forced film mode will give you better results than either DXVA or YADIF, but only for 2).

There are also files that have a mixture of 1) and 2) content. Often music videos switch back and forth between 1) and 2). In that case madVR's film mode won't work well, either. Forced film mode is strictly only for 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Mate its not those, I would have already sent those to ya Its MPC-BE crashing as a symptom with no madVR specific error message. I deeply suspect your right about it being an Nvidia driver root cause - its got all the hallmarks of what happened a few months back when I couldn't get madVR working at UHD resolutions on Windows 10. Last time I ended up getting PMs from Nvidia customer care staff on their forums after making a bit of noise over there and I emailed them with various kernel memory dumps (some cases nv processes would BSOD) and EDID data and so on. I know with Nvidia Im going to have to nail down all the facts and have a clear bug report as otherwise they wont even look at it, and even when you do have all that, it usually takes a fair bit of noise on their forums to get them to be serious about it and debug it. But Im a stubborn tester so I wont give up
Too bad. Well, in that case there's probably not much I can do. I wish you good luck with NVidia support, in any case! If you hear back from them, let me know, would be good to hear if they were able to find/fix the issue.
Old 11th January 2016, 23:00   #35150  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
And this is when using YADIF frame doubling? In that case madVR is obviously receiving incorrect information from the decoder. Which is not madVR's fault, but the fault of the decoder. So please follow up on this with the decoder developer(s). Will be hard for ffdshow, though, because nobody is developing it, anymore.
You would think so, but I have confirmed that LAV sends 50 fps in the initial media type (and not even only in a new type send later) and yet madVR still shows 25 in its OSD. You don't cheat around the decoder again and ask the splitter, do you?
Old 11th January 2016, 23:02   #35151  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You would think so, but I have confirmed that LAV sends 50 fps in the initial media type (and not even only in a new type send later) and yet madVR still shows 25 in its OSD. You don't cheat around the decoder again and ask the splitter, do you?
That's a pretty good question. Will add that to my to do list to investigate.
Old 11th January 2016, 23:03   #35152  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.90.1 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: DXVA processing was broken on some GPUs
* fixed: DXVA upscaling option was grayed out
* fixed: chroma SuperRes fracked up HDR colors
* fixed: LAV reporting YCgCo was misinterpreted by madVR
* fixed: "Reconstruction" was reported by the OSD to be "Jinc"
Just a couple of quick fixes. Next build probably not before the weekend.
Old 11th January 2016, 23:07   #35153  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Can you double check with v0.89.19 to make sure it's really only occurring with v0.90.0, but not with v0.89.19?
That was the first thing I did. Emailed you a debug log.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 23:16   #35154  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
None of the sharpeners are perfect; I just think SuperRes is better than the others in many ways.
Totally, I hate sharpening with passion but SR looks ridiculously good and the new chroma SR update has turned Jinc into a monster to my eyes because it keeps the "cinema-like" natural look and every frame is plenty sharp but not overly, me like it a lot

New chroma algorithms appear too sharp to feed SR to my eyes but I'll need to run more tests, still PQ is pretty dang sweet atm to say the least.

The new OSD looks great too as it was pretty painful to read before, I would personally enjoy a hotkey to get to the control panel directly but maybe it's already there and I missed it somehow.

Last edited by leeperry; 12th January 2016 at 00:07.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 23:54   #35155  |  Link
iakoboss7

here you are, i tested your latest release also and it still had the same problem (but the debug is from v0.90.0 ).

iakoboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 23:59   #35156  |  Link
x7007

In test they made they said CUVID is better than DXVA2 in gpu utilization with Madvr + FSE

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5814/a...tpc-review/10#
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 00:03   #35157  |  Link
clsid

That test was done 44 months ago...
Old 12th January 2016, 00:09   #35158  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
That test was done 44 months ago...
ok , does it change things , dxva2 was improved since then ? I'm interested in new tests someone made.

Btw, how do I use the 3D stereoscopic ? is it for blueray iso movies or MKV 3D movies ? because potplayer has 3D support already, and I never use it because if I download a movie Top&buttom or SBS it is opened like it should splitted screen and I just choose 3D mode in my TV and I see it + 3D subtitles if there are . I mean when do I need Potplayer or Madvr 3D support ?

EDIT : (Scratch That) Checking something else ))) in windows 8.1 I have Present Queue drop every couple seconds, it drops from 2-3/3 to 0 or 1-3/3 . I just upgrade since the version 89.x lastest one. it worked fine with the version before 90.

It happens in FSE and windowed. D3D11

Last edited by x7007; 12th January 2016 at 00:24.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 00:10   #35159  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
To those running the v0.90 update with MPC-HC x64. Please check that the MadVR refinement settings (like sharpen and such) appear on the screen upon selection. Mine only display their effects after selecting OK and continuing with the video. Upon rechecking I see that this glitch also occurs in my MadVR x86. It seems to be connected to the v0.90 upgrade - at least this is when it first occured for me. MPC-BE/MadVR v0.90 works fine. If someone joins me here I'll provide specifics. As it is I'm running Win 7 64-bit/sp1, HD 7850 (15.7.1) and all the latest related plug-ins from the nightlies.
Update: 1/11/2016
Completely uninstalled madVR v0.90.1 (ran uninstall.bat, reset settings, deleted folder...) and installed madVR v0.89.19. With MPC-HC 1.7.10.56 (nightly) the issue is resolved. Updated to madVR v0.90.1 and the issue is back - MPC-BE works as expected in both cases. Downgraded to madVR v0.89.19 (copied new files over old ones after running uninstall.bat) and all is well. I'm stumped
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 00:17   #35160  |  Link
clsid

Currently only MKV files with H.264 MVC are supported. Those are usually 3D Blu-Ray rips. SBS stuff will be played same way as before.

DXVA2 performance has improved since then due to more efficient copy-back.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling