Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 3rd October 2020, 22:57   #1201  |  Link
Atlantis

Just wanted to say that I recently discovered nOCR and wanted to thank anyone responsible for it. It is like true magic compared to the other methods in Subtitle Edit. It requires less interaction. It's really like night and day.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2020, 23:26   #1202  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Just wanted to say that I recently discovered nOCR and wanted to thank anyone responsible for it. It is like true magic compared to the other methods in Subtitle Edit. It requires less interaction. It's really like night and day.
I agree, it's so much faster and generally more accurate.

It's definitely the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 00:00   #1203  |  Link
Atlantis

Before, I easily could spend 1-2 hours, more like 2 hours on a movie. With nOCR I do it in 10 minutes!

How does the self-learning work? Does it stay after each project or is it reset each time you finish a file?

Last edited by Atlantis; 4th October 2020 at 00:03.
Old 6th October 2020, 18:12   #1204  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
I wouldn't know if this is already been addressed to, but now that I think about it:

Is it possible to load a SUP and/or XML/PNG file into SE, not OCR-ing it, only for adjusting the timecodes? And after that, export back to SUP or XML/PNG, so without changing the original subtitle images and their X/Y coördinates. Of course, preferably with realtime monitoring in the preview with a chosen video.

I would be very happy if that's possible.
Cheers
Sorry, SE cannot really do this... I guess SE has most of the code for this, so it would be relative easy to make. Perhaps a new program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Nice to hear
Still, some subtitles (different/strange fonts) work better in Tesseract, but yes, nOCR works well for most subtitles.

Also, Subtitle Edit 3.5.17 is out: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases
Fixed a bug in BDSup reading with overlapping images (keeping images between PES packets and only clearing at Composition State=Epoch Start) and many minor improvements and fixes, and even Karaoke CD+G -> BDSup included.
Batch convert (and cmd line) can now handle transport streams with both teletext/images - and 300 different formats
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 18:32   #1205  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikse555 View Post
Sorry, SE cannot really do this... I guess SE has most of the code for this, so it would be relative easy to make. Perhaps a new program...

Nice to hear

Still, some subtitles (different/strange fonts) work better in Tesseract, but yes, nOCR works well for most subtitles.

Also, Subtitle Edit 3.5.17 is out: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases

Fixed a bug in BDSup reading with overlapping images (keeping images between PES packets and only clearing at Composition State=Epoch Start) and many minor improvements and fixes, and even Karaoke CD+G -> BDSup included.

Batch convert (and cmd line) can now handle transport streams with both teletext/images - and 300 different formats
What a beast, thank you sir

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 18:16   #1206  |  Link
jpsdr

Hello, a little question.
I have two srt files A and B.
I want to insert the lines 100 to 200 of the file A after the line 50 of file B (and so before line 51 of file B which will become 152).

How do i do ?

I can't just do it in Notepad because line numbers will not be good anymore.
Old 7th October 2020, 22:32   #1207  |  Link
Janusz

@jpsdr
A. In the notebook
1. Insert lines in Notepad. Save the changed file with a new name.
2. Load the new file into the Subtitle Edit program.
3. Use Tools / Renumber to renumber (reorder) the line numbers.

B. In Subtitle Edit. (use the right mouse button)
1. Open file "A" in the program, mark lines 100 to 200, execute "Copy as text to clipboard"
2. Open file "B" in a new (second) session of the program, position the cursor on line 51,
execute Column / Paste from Clipboard with [Choose column] = All checked
and [Overwrite / Shift cells down] = Shift cells down.
Old 8th October 2020, 17:13   #1208  |  Link
jpsdr

Ok, thanks.
Old 11th October 2020, 18:53   #1209  |  Link
mugz8391

New to Subtitle Edit - Typewriter Effect?

A few years ago I used Aegisub but it is no longer being supported it appears and links to the forum are dead right now.

I cannot remember how to apply the "typewriter effect" to lines of text and I'm not having much luck finding help to apply the different effects for Subtitle Edit either - I see in the change log this effect is supported but no tutorial on how to apply it. Can I get any help here?
mugz8391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2020, 20:44   #1210  |  Link
Janusz

@mugz8391
Select the line or lines you want this effect to apply to
press the right mouse button on the marked area,
select [Typewriter effect ...]
Old 13th October 2020, 11:49   #1211  |  Link
von Suppé

Hi Nikse,

In the latest version, is there something wrong with the handling of *.ass subtitles, when exporting to SUP?

The preview in the SUP export-windows is definitely not showing what it used to.
Seems like the text is in front of a black cloud??

With srt to SUP evrything's okay.

Cheers

Edit: Sorry. I forgot that when creating or editing ASS styles in Aegisub first, things go well. Aegisub is doing more than when creating/changing ASS styles in SE.

So, all is well. Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited by von Suppé; 13th October 2020 at 12:27.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2020, 08:56   #1212  |  Link
Melan

Hello.
Could you please implement automatic deletion of spaces before characters like:
!
?
without informing about it in the "All fixes" window? I mean the Binary image compare method.
Currently, I have defined these patches using regex in OCRFixReplaceList file and the whole list of patches is "cluttered" by them, which makes it difficult to read.

https://i.imgur.com/F9sVhV5.png
Melan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2020, 20:35   #1213  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Hello.
!
?
without informing about it in the "All fixes" window?
And as soon as this change is implemented, the Frenchmen will come and ask for inserting a space inbetween for this is what French spelling requires.

If you create your own subtitles, I am sure you have not this issue.
The rest might fall under Rule 6
Old 28th October 2020, 19:54   #1214  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan View Post
Hello.
!
?
without informing about it in the "All fixes" window? I mean the Binary image compare method.
Currently, I have defined these patches using regex in OCRFixReplaceList file and the whole list of patches is "cluttered" by them, which makes it difficult to read.
Would it be practical to remove them from the OCRFixReplaceList file and fix them later with "Tools/Fix Common Errors/Remove unneeded spaces"?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2020, 21:40   #1215  |  Link
Atlantis

Is it possible to OCR the font colors also? In this or any other method. To have the colors OCRed from sub files and added to the srt files.
Old 29th October 2020, 01:47   #1216  |  Link
Atlantis

I didn't receive an answer, after you finish a file, is the learning erased or are they kept for the next job?
Old 29th October 2020, 02:08   #1217  |  Link
Atlantis

Please in nOCR spell check window add a button for
inspect nocr matches for current image

Binary image compare already has this with a button named "Edit image db"
Old 29th October 2020, 16:09   #1218  |  Link
Melan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Would it be practical to remove them from the OCRFixReplaceList file and fix them later with "Tools/Fix Common Errors/Remove unneeded spaces"?
Multiple records from the OCRFixReplaceList file can be defined in a different tool. Question - what for?
OCRFixReplaceList does its job great. And most importantly, it does it automatically, without user interaction.
The other tools are "manual" and you can always get an error.
Imagine you need to check every entry that contains only a space before "?", "!", ".", ",". Such a list contains about 100-300 entries. I don't even want to think how long it will take.
Melan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 13:45   #1219  |  Link
bl4ck

@Nikse555
Hi,
I last time I made many "sup" files for my blu-ray discs. Maybe possible is adding function to save font color for many colors? now program remember only last selected color.

Greetings.
bl4ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 23:47   #1220  |  Link
Janusz

@hello_hello
Use "Multiple replace ..." instead of "OCRFixReplaceList"

@Atlantis
1. "Is it possible to OCR the font colors also? In this or any other method ..."
Yes, but only from the original stream, eg TS if the image uses a color font.

2. "I didn't receive an answer, after you finish a file, is the learning erased or are they kept for the next job?"
Yes, if you have [Remember "Use always" list] checked, you will be able to use your changes for other files in the future as well.

3. "Please in nOCR spell check window add a button for inspect nocr matches for current image"
For what? Click twice with the left mouse button on the selected line in the [Subtitle text] window and the required window will open.

4. Do not write several posts one after the other, use "Edit".

@ Nikse555
@ bl4ck wrote: "I last time I made many" sup "files for my blu-ray discs. Maybe possible is adding function to save font color for many colors?"

My comments to this:

1. If I export any text to the 'Blu-ray sup' file and in the 'Blu-ray sup' window I choose [Font color] = yellow (FFFF00) then the text cannot be recreated from the sup file using nOCR and Binary image compare because these methods cannot "see" the text unlike in Tesseract 3.02.

2. If I export to a Blu-ray sup file any text in which I have different color attributes selected for different lines, re-importing from this sup file does not allow to recreate the color attributes for lines with colored text. This also applies to color text images imported from a TS stream.
I wrote about it in one of my previous posts but got no reply.

Last edited by Janusz; 31st October 2020 at 00:23.
Janusz is offline   Reply With Quote