Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 25th October 2020, 10:14   #941  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life looks better in UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
...I took a MKV file and made into a Blu-ray ISO file and then burned it. When I played it back, it didn't start at the beginning of the movie. It started at the first chapter mark, which wasn't at time zero. Why?
How are you playing the disc?
Old 25th October 2020, 17:36   #942  |  Link
a5180007

Quote:
I don't if the following is a problem, or not. I took a MKV file and made into a Blu-ray ISO file and then burned it. When I played it back, it didn't start at the beginning of the movie.
@MrVideo I can have a look at this bug if you provide me in PM a link to the mkv.
a5180007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 01:48   #943  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
How are you playing the disc?
On my Sony BD X800M2 player.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2020, 02:02   #944  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5180007 View Post
@MrVideo I can have a look at this bug if you provide me in PM a link to the mkv.
It is 24GB. Looking at it now won't do much good, since it is now working.

It used to be that VideoReDo added a chapter marker at time 0 to every MKV file it assembled. But, with VideoReDoPro6, it doesn't seem to. No idea when that started. So, when playback didn't start at time zero, I looked at the MKV file in VRDPro6 and when there wasn't a chapter mark at time 0, I added one and created a new file. When I ran that thru tsmuxer, and I set the BD-ROM V3 option (no idea what that is supposed to imply), I saw that there was a chapter mark listed for time 0 in tsmuxer. Playback of that ISO file started at time 0. Interesting thing is that when I read that MKV file back into VRDPro6, there is no chapter mark shown at time 0.

If it is a BD spec that there be a chapter mark at time 0, then tsmuxer should look for one and automatically add it to the chapter list. That said, tsmuxer has an option for no chapter marks. So, where is the BD player supposed to start playing the disc?

If the MKV file is supposed to have a chapter mark at time 0 in order for correct BD playback, I'll have to submit a bug to the VRD team to get it fixed.

Last edited by MrVideo; 26th October 2020 at 02:55.
Old 27th October 2020, 10:35   #945  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
... when there wasn't a chapter mark at time 0, I added one and created a new file.
I just want to let you know that you can easily read the chapters from the MKV within the mkvtoolnix GUI, add the missing chapter, and save the new chapter list to the original MKV, without having to remux it entirely.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 17:51   #946  |  Link
a5180007

Quote:
If the MKV file is supposed to have a chapter mark at time 0 in order for correct BD playback, I'll have to submit a bug to the VRD team to get it fixed.
Blu-ray specs:

"Chapter is a time based playing interval in a Movie Title. A Chapter is determined by a pair of consecutive Entry-marks in a PlayList which corresponds to a Movie Title. If there is no Entrymark at the end of a PlayList, an interval between a last Entrymark and end point of a PlayList composes the last Chapter of the Movie Title."

"Entry-mark shall be put at the beginning of a PlayList – i.e. put an Entrymark at the “IN_time” of the first PlayItem of the PlayList."
a5180007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2020, 21:17   #947  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I just want to let you know that you can easily read the chapters from the MKV within the mkvtoolnix GUI, add the missing chapter, and save the new chapter list to the original MKV, without having to remux it entirely.
Thanks.