Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd June 2015, 19:45   #31281  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
As an aside, has anyone tried using the current superres with 0 set for sharpness, softness, AA and AR on super-xbr luma? I'm finding that it's actually quite good across all types of sources if you tweak the strength/passes appropriately.
I like the effect of SuperRes when sharpness & softness be set to 0, but AA and AR been kept, for 576p videos mostly.

It's bad for lower resolution videos though, I would like to try setting AA & AR to 0 for those files and see if it's more appropriate.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:33   #31282  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Oh wow, for the new build with the s-xbr sharpness setting, I still seem to prefer NEDI for 720p@1080p because it looks more natural with less EE, but on noisy 320*240 s-xbr@50 seems to extract quite a bit more details than NNEDI3 huh. Looks like I won't be tied to the 13.12 drivers forever after all

Of course I use SR on top of all of them and I finetune its sharpness settting each time. I really like to rely on SR's sharpness setting and even though s-xbr@50 looks very promising from my limited testing so far, would there be any way to go lower? Or possibly allow us to choose the sharpness figure please?
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:06   #31283  |  Link
JarrettH

I think superres is very nice. It doesn't feel like a post-process - the others seem to bring out about as much bad as good, as can be seen by some preferring a setting as closest to off as possible lol

My superres setting is

Two passes, 720p to 1080p
0.45, 0.25, 0.20, 0.20, 0.85

Last edited by JarrettH; 22nd June 2015 at 21:11.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:58   #31284  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
One other thing: did you notice those blue artifacts in #3?
Hmmmm... I didn't notice them until now. I think they might be caused by the strict AR filter that I'm using for super-xbr chroma upscaling. Basically I'm using the strict filter from the original shaders, because I thought it wouldn't be too important for chroma upscaling. Maybe I have to replace that with my own, too. But it's hard to say if that would help without having access to a sample where the problem shows up.

@viewer, can you provide a small sample of the source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Oh wow, for the new build with the s-xbr sharpness setting, I still seem to prefer NEDI for 720p@1080p because it looks more natural with less EE, but on noisy 320*240 s-xbr@50 seems to extract quite a bit more details than NNEDI3 huh. Looks like I won't be tied to the 13.12 drivers forever after all

Of course I use SR on top of all of them and I finetune its sharpness settting each time. I really like to rely on SR's sharpness setting and even though s-xbr@50 looks very promising from my limited testing so far, would there be any way to go lower? Or possibly allow us to choose the sharpness figure please?
No free sharpness slider or dial planned right now. Why would you want to go even softer than 50? It's the softest I would go for super-xbr. If you go much softer, at some point you're going to lose the ability to recover the image detail through sharpening/SuperRes. I mean, if you take softening to the extreme, you would end up with just a gray (or slightly colored) frame. Even sharpening/SuperRes can't get something useful out of that.

-------

No real benefit discussing SuperRes right now because it will change soon. And probably more than just a small bit, I suspect. But we'll see...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:59   #31285  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I had the 2nd paper in my list of papers to look at, in the hope that it might allow us to use the luma information to guide in chroma upsampling. Is that something that sounds like worth investigating to you?
I've actually tried that already, in fact I've added it as an option for the new SuperChromaRes (although it can be used separately if you want). Interestingly you can do the same thing in the upscaling step for the SuperChromaRes algorithm. Even though you could also use the chroma information at that point, doing so tends to make the image worse. I'm not too sure why this happens, but by only using the luma information you force the chroma and luma to match, and you can be sure that the luma is correct which might also improve image quality.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 01:19   #31286  |  Link
viewer

Quote:
@viewer, can you provide a small sample of the source?
sample here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!bR8mjSCT!7ki_Lv...AMxXB1mYPdTxvs
viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:35   #31287  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Madshi, I have another case of queues not filling all the way when toggling between fullscreen, windowed, and fullscreen again. It is the render queue that drops (0/1-2 from 7-8), which subsequently drops the present queue fill rate. Just noticed since updating. I have to pause playback for a second for queues to fill all the way up again.

Going into fullscreen initially, queues are fine. The issue occurs when going fullscreen, then windowed, then back to fullscreen again. Please let me know if you need me to debug with a special file to help narrow down where the problem may be.

D3D11 10-bit
MPC-HC 1.7.9.25 x64
MadVR 0.88.13
Nvidia GeForce 353.30

Last edited by SecurityBunny; 23rd June 2015 at 02:51.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 08:00   #31288  |  Link
James Freeman

Just to add to that queue problem,

In dx11 mode if the rendering time goes above frame time (ie. 42ms in 24p) the queues will empty (as expected), BUT, they will not fill back up when the rendering time goes down to below frame time and stay at 1-2/8.
In dx9 (new path) they fill back as normal.
When AERO is off and dx9 old path is active I think there is a queue problem also.
I'll check again.

Last edited by James Freeman; 23rd June 2015 at 08:15.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:25   #31289  |  Link
vomanci

Possible bug : in windows 8.1, if i chose different scaling (DPI) for my monitor and TV, MadVR doesn't enter fullscreen, windowed or FSE, on my TV with DX11 path. It changes from windowed to fullscreen but the OSD still shows windowed mode (no fullscreen). And no search bar at the bottom.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:34   #31290  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomanci View Post
Possible bug : in windows 8.1, if i chose different scaling (DPI) for my monitor and TV, MadVR doesn't enter fullscreen, windowed or FSE, on my TV with DX11 path. It changes from windowed to fullscreen but the OSD still shows windowed mode (no fullscreen). And no search bar at the bottom.
Thats probably your media player not supporting different DPI modes. That happens with MPC-HC for me when I have one screen at high-dpi (ie. my 4K screen), and all other screens on normal DPI.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:56   #31291  |  Link
vomanci

Thanks. It's MPC-HC.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:30   #31292  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
But as long as you don't switch, the queues all fill just fine in both windowed and FSE modes? What happens if you disable the display mode switcher and set your display to 60Hz? Does that change anything? What happens if you lower the number of prepresented frames to 6? Does that "solve" the problem?
Yes, display mode switcher is currently off and refresh is already 60Hz.

Changing prepresented frames for Exclusive mode has no effect unless I set it to 1. If I set it to 2+ I get glitches on the screen (part flashes of previous frames) even though no glitches or dropped frames show on the OSD.
If I change prepresented frames to 1, everything seems to work fine.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:15   #31293  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
No free sharpness slider or dial planned right now. Why would you want to go even softer than 50? It's the softest I would go for super-xbr. If you go much softer, at some point you're going to lose the ability to recover the image detail through sharpening/SuperRes.
Because there's only one way to find out? 50 works very nicely on hopeless tiny videos but it's way too sharp for 720p@1080p IME, I'm not seeking hardcore details extraction in that latter case as I just want something sharper than J3AR...which I do get with NEDI, but I would love to try a softer x-sbr if any possible. It might very well be in order to compensate SR's sharpness setting but at the end of the day all roads lead to Rome and I really like SR so my goal is mostly to try all possible options and take it from there
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:30   #31294  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Yeah, I just ran a few more tests on 576*320@1080p and s-xbr@50 is much sharper than NNEDI3 IME, if going any lower is out of the question could I use it on my own via a PS script in my media player please? 50 is prolly very nice without SR and soft scaling but I would like to keep my other settings as is because they look great, I just need s-xbr to come in less strong
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:14   #31295  |  Link
Ge'in

super_xbr at 100 of sharpness, it's just perfect for me. For chroma upscaling and luma doubling whatever the video source (sd or hd).
It's a very good compromise between quality/speed.
Ge'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:43   #31296  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
That sounds weird. Screenshot of the OSD?
What I meant was that when using super xbr, the osd reports "chroma>Lanczos 3 AR, luma>super xbr <catmull rom" but it would be more descriptive if it were "chroma>super xbr>lanczos, luma>super xbr <catmull rom", since super xbr does work on both chroma and luma, right?

Last edited by mindbomb; 23rd June 2015 at 23:35.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:33   #31297  |  Link
michkrol

Are you sure it doesn't say image > super xbr?
Image means madVR scales "whole" image, both chroma and luma at the same time, that's why OSD doesn't report chroma and luma processing separately.
Please post a screenshot as madshi has asked you to.

It does work correctly for me, first upscaling chroma, then doubling both chroma and luma (i.e. image), then upscaling with Jinc to target resolution.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:39   #31298  |  Link
mindbomb

oh, okay, you are right michkrol, i see how it works now.

Last edited by mindbomb; 23rd June 2015 at 23:42.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 21:10   #31299  |  Link
VenomousNinja

Activating use of Direct3D 11 in MadVR on my setup makes my secondary monitor connected via HDMI (LG TV) to do weird things during avi payback. GTX970, Win 7 x64, latest driver 353.30, MPC-BE. Exclusive full screen. Monitor just goes black 2-3 times during video playback for a second or two.I'd say every 20-25 mins. Sometimes it's just had been stuck in some kind of signal loss loop - black-video-black-video. Even after closing video player (MPC-BE) it's still remains in on - off loop. I've deselected dx11 and usinf DX9 for now. No mystic happens. This kind of stuff started to happen in the last 2-3 build of MadVR. Possibly it's nvidia new drivers...
Old 24th June 2015, 22:03   #31300  |  Link
XMonarchY

I tested FineSharp on several sources and each time I could see obvious ringing using FineSharp in image enhancements and upscaling refinement. LumaSharpen does not SEEM to do that at default settings, so it is beyond me how people find FineSharp superior to LumaSharpen...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling