Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 2nd June 2017, 18:34   #221  |  Link
stax76

There's a first staxrip test build with AV1 support, feedback for tab names and labels would be a really helpful.

https://postimg.org/image/hjhoy7qar

https://github.com/stax76/staxrip/bl...ncoder.vb#L144

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...26#post1808526
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:36   #222  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I hope you have a huge warning somewhere that people should really not encode videos in AV1 if they care to be playable in the future? AV1 is not done yet, and files encoded with a certain encoder version will not be compatible with future decoders.
Old 2nd June 2017, 19:21   #223  |  Link
stax76

I guess you are right, I've changed the title bar to: Under construction, AV1 isn't finished yet
Old 15th June 2017, 22:48   #224  |  Link
TD-Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanton_13 View Post
I found this comparison betwen beta of AV1, HEVC and AVC by the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute:

http://iphome.hhi.de/marpe/download/...VC-PCS2016.pdf

The result is somewat surprising but not much if we think who did it and the development status of AV1, after reading it I also find it of poor quality and with various possibilities for errors plus it's potentially in conflict with other studies.
This paper is old now, but I didn't see this documented anywhere else, so:

This paper made the same error as their previous VP9 comparison paper. They allow x265 to do fixed quantizer modulation, but lock AV1 to a single quantizer per frame. x265's --qp option still varies per-frame qp's via ipFactor and pbFactor.

Even if they had set both x265 factors to 1.0, there would still be the problem that H.265 itself maps the QP value to different "real" quantizers based on keyframe or not, as part of the bitstream. So you'd actually have to null that out with a "backwards" ipFactor, or adjust AV1 to have a similar boost.
TD-Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 22:10   #225  |  Link
blurred

Hot thread about Google ANS patent for AV1:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming...ort=confidence
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 19:39   #226  |  Link
ls1dreams

which intel chip?

Anyone have a prediction on which intel series chip/igpu this will make it into?

- coffee lake
- cannonlake
- later?

Coffee Lake seems unlikely since timing is about the same time as they plan to freeze the AV1 bitstream, unless the alliance has been working VERY closely with intel. Cannonlake even shortly after seems like it's rather tight.
ls1dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 20:21   #227  |  Link
soresu

Seems likeliest that the first accelerated implementations will be GPGPU or DSP based prior to ASIC for at least a year after bitstream is frozen later this year (assuming they manage to freeze at all this year).
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 20:25   #228  |  Link
soresu

A more interesting question is whether AV1 will be more amenable to parallel implementations than VP9, or even HEVC - which was a key goal originally for Daala, given the slow progress in CPU single thread performance, GPGPU or some other massively parallel accelerator represents a far more efficient target, and OTOY's ORBX codec shows that it can be done, strange that they are completely absent from the Alliance to be honest.
Old 25th June 2017, 02:24   #229  |  Link
Beelzebubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
A more interesting question is whether AV1 will be more amenable to parallel implementations than VP9, or even HEVC - which was a key goal originally for Daala, given the slow progress in CPU single thread performance, GPGPU or some other massively parallel accelerator represents a far more efficient target, and OTOY's ORBX codec shows that it can be done, strange that they are completely absent from the Alliance to be honest.
Why do you believe VP9 was not parallelizable? I think FFmpeg's decoder showed that parallelism is not an issue. The fact that Google's decoder didn't use parallelism has nothing to do with the format.
Beelzebubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 02:43   #230  |  Link
soresu

Ah, when talking about parallelism, I meant the encoder rather than the decoder, which is usually more compute intensive and seems to increase in complexity sometimes an order of magnitude or more per generation, while the decoder seems to be only a modest increase albeit still enough to hurt in the current climate of slow single thread improvement.

It seems that the likes of Netflix and Google get around parallelisation limits (atleast limits that dont impact compression efficiency) of H264, HEVC and VP9 by employing chunked encoding over the gamut of a server farm/datacenter, but this is still limited to CPU compute.

It would be interesting to see if we could at least see GPGPU employed efficiently for chunked encoding, if not for full length videos.
Old 25th June 2017, 02:50   #231  |  Link
Beelzebubu

Without wanting to get too much into detail, I would claim that the issue here is in the implementation, not the format. There are alternative VP9 encoder implementations that are far less limited in their parallelism.
Beelzebubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 07:56   #232  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
It would be interesting to see if we could at least see GPGPU employed efficiently for chunked encoding, if not for full length videos.
GPGPU for encoding has never really been any successfull. You would probably have to design a codec with that as a key basic design for it to work decently, and it would probably have drawbacks anywhere else - ie. not be very general purpose.
The thing about GPGPU is that it only works well if a simple task can be parallized a whole lot. Encoding thousands of chunks at the same time would not be very simple (in fact a single chunk would be rather complex), and likely not work very well.

I do think however that the codecs we currently have do scale well enough to keep multi-core CPUs busy just fine, encoder implementations not withstanding.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th June 2017 at 08:01.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 02:22   #233  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

I would imagine that the first GPUs implementing hardware AV1 decoding would be the middle of 2018 at the earliest.

CPU-wise, that would line up well with Zen2 APUs (H2 2018 - H1 2019) but if you insist on Intel you'd have to wait for Icelake in 2019.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 19:28   #234  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The thing about GPGPU is that it only works well if a simple task can be parallized a whole lot.
I can't believe it

;-)
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 13:25   #235  |  Link
Phanton_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
GPGPU for encoding has never really been any successfull. You would probably have to design a codec with that as a key basic design for it to work decently, and it would probably have drawbacks anywhere else - ie. not be very general purpose.
The thing about GPGPU is that it only works well if a simple task can be parallized a whole lot. Encoding thousands of chunks at the same time would not be very simple (in fact a single chunk would be rather complex), and likely not work very well..
Actually the bigest problem is that you have to throw to the sink the knowledge and commom sense in algorithms that you learned doing commom programing. I learned this the hard way when I helped in the parallezitaion of a problem, we made it faster doing it slower... basically our solution was around ten times slower than the clasical one runing only one thread, but the clasical one was mostly limited to 12 threads and our was able to scale to more than 1000 threads and that resulted in it being around 80 times faster that the clasical solution in the machine where it was run.

Sorry for my english, I'n not a native speaker.

Last edited by Phanton_13; 29th June 2017 at 13:29.
Phanton_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 15:01   #236  |  Link
easyfab

And 2 new members : Hulu and Argon Design.

https://www.hulu.com/press/product_u...or-open-media/
http://www.argondesign.com/news/2017...gon-joins-aom/

Now I hope the bitstream freeze will come in 2017.
easyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 10:16   #237  |  Link
wiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyfab View Post
And 2 new members : Hulu and Argon Design.

https://www.hulu.com/press/product_u...or-open-media/
http://www.argondesign.com/news/2017...gon-joins-aom/

Now I hope the bitstream freeze will come in 2017.
VideoLAN also joined https://www.videolan.org/press/aomedia.html
Old 4th July 2017, 11:59   #238  |  Link
stax76

And I hope the command line interface design and documentation improves to the same excellence as x264 and x265.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:01   #239  |  Link
wiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
And I hope the command line interface design and documentation improves to the same excellence as x264 and x265.
and multi-threading
Old 4th July 2017, 12:11   #240  |  Link
stax76

And native AviSynth and VapourSynth support.