Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 30th April 2010, 01:41   #1  |  Link
Avisynth_challenged

New to x264 - 1st noob question after doing search

I'm interested in using x.264 to make Blu-ray compliant H.264 HD encodes. My question: is there a WinXP (32-bit) GUI front-end for x.264 which does not require .NET framework to be installed on the system?

Thanks in advance
Avisynth_challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 05:59   #2  |  Link
poisondeathray

I think most of them require .net - megui, handbrake, staxrip, ripbot, xvid4psp etc....

Maybe Lord Mulder's GUI might not , but it's very minimalistic / no frills, yet effective
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144140
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 10:12   #3  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisynth_challenged View Post
is there a WinXP (32-bit) GUI front-end for x.264 which does not require .NET framework to be installed on the system?
MicroX264

Hybrid

Avidemux
Which is not really a front end for x264 but with Lord Mulder's libx264 builds that you can find at the end of this thread, you can use the most up to date version of x264.
Brazil2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 15:36   #4  |  Link

Due to the lameness of the thread title (which could get a rule 9 strike), I've moved this to Newbies.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 15:46   #5  |  Link
Avisynth_challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Due to the lameness of the thread title (which could get a rule 9 strike), I've moved this to Newbies.
Sorry and thanks.
Avisynth_challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:08   #6  |  Link
stax76

.NET has become the most popular development platform on Windows so why not install it? There are client profile versions of the .NET framework that aren't very big so it don't take much time to download and install them. I think all Gnome based Linux distributions include .NET and .NET based applications like newer Windows versions so it's popular even on other operating systems.

For .NET many use Win 7 which has .NET 3.5 onboard, Vista has 3.0 onboard which is sufficient for many older .NET aplications, XP don't has .NET, I think both XP and .NET were released somewhere 2001. Some applications use .NET 4.0 and I think authors of such applications should be asked not to use it but rather use 3.5 so at least on Win 7 it will run without having to install a new framework.

There are many .NET and Java dependencies but generally much more .NET then Java, some smaller Java applications could be ported to .NET but for most it's not a issue to install Java, I usually install the OpenOffice version that includes Java so I will always have Java installed.

Last edited by stax76; 2nd May 2010 at 12:27.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:15   #7  |  Link
Gser

Get .NET or forget about GUIs.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:26   #8  |  Link
stax76

If you don't want to build a commercial application but just run some free applications it's pretty pointless to think about platforms and runtimes instead of just looking on the quality of a application, there are high quality applications built with all kind of different tools.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote