Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 17th June 2018, 05:38   #1  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Hybrid NTSC -> PAL conversion script...

For shows that were shot on film, then telecined, then edited in NTSC, clean conversion to PAL is... well, a compromise between different ways of screwing it up. However, I've been thinking of what might be the least bad way to do it, and this is what I've come up with:

Code:
mpeg2source("106.d2v")

loadcplugin("c:\yadif.dll")

A=yadif(mode=1).selecteven()
B=yadif(mode=1).selectodd()
C=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,mthresh=2,clip2=A,micmatching=0)
D=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,mthresh=2,clip2=B,micmatching=0)
Interleave(C,D)

tdecimate(mode=1,cycle=6).spline144resize(720,576).separatefields().selectevery(4,0,3).weave().assumefps(25)
Obviously, it starts out as my boilerplate "field-match what you can, bob the rest" script. You can replace all that with QTGMC or whatever else you want. Did I do a good job overall?

EDIT: added assumefps

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 17th June 2018 at 22:43.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 10:32   #2  |  Link
Gser

Isn't this what srestore does? http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Srestore
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 10:44   #3  |  Link
Sharc

If the hybrid source is 29.97 fps the script delivers 24.975 fps. You may want to speed it up to 25 fps for PAL compliance.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 14:49   #4  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Isn't this what srestore does? http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Srestore
SRestore aims primarily at unblending field blended crap due to poor framerate conversions. The result is progressive video.
From the heading ("Hybrid") I assume that her source is rather a mix of true interlaced video and telecined video with perhaps broken telecine pattern and orphaned fields. Her script with reinterlacing may preserve the temporal resolution of the video part.
Just speculating.....
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2018, 22:44   #5  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
If the hybrid source is 29.97 fps the script delivers 24.975 fps. You may want to speed it up to 25 fps for PAL compliance.
Yeah, I realized that a little while after I posted. Didn't get around to correcting it until now. Thanks. Anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
From the heading ("Hybrid") I assume that her source is rather a mix of true interlaced video and telecined video with perhaps broken telecine pattern and orphaned fields.
Yes, exactly. Stuff that was shot on film or digitally at 24 frames per second, then telecined, then edited in a natively interlaced medium with 60z effects and crap added.