Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th February 2019, 15:01   #1  |  Link
djloewen

Hardcoding UHD subtitles without conversion

Hi there, I've done all the research I can on this subject and still came up short. When I encode 1080p sources that have forced ".sup" subtitles, I like to use the avisynth SupTitle filter to hardcode the subtitles into the resulting video file. I prefer this to conversion because I like having the subtitles appear exactly as they do in the original source.

I'd like to do the same with a UHD source. the ".sup" files appear to be 1080p even on 4k sources? SupTitle appears incapable of displaying it properly, and the only resizing tools I've found online will make the subtitles smaller, not larger. I also see that there are challenges to doing this in a 10/16 bit environment (currently I'm using 16bit for processing and outputting to 10)?

I see that some people have possibly had luck using VaporSynth and either the "core.sub.imagefile" built-in filter, or VSfilterMod? I've never used VaporSynth before and I'm not sure whether it can be run side-by-side with Avisynth+ or whether I'd have to change my whole workflow. So I was hoping to find a few answers before I try messing with installs.

1) Is there any way to accomplish this in avisynth/avisynth+?

And if not,

2) Can VaporSynth be installed and only used for jobs that need subtitles, or would I need to change over completely?
3) Do most/all other things work in VaporSynth function the same as in avisynth? Can I use the same plugins, for example suptitle?
4) Is there a preference between core.sub.imagefile and VSFilterMod? Will they do what I'm trying to accomplish here?
5) Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Thank you!
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote