Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th October 2019, 18:14   #57601  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
Out of curiosity, how does these two pictures look on an LG OLED in PC Mode when displaying it at 100% size (1:1 Pixel)?
http://www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/2...test-4k-tv.png
http://madshi.net/madVR/ChromaRes.png
Some Makro photos of the screen using a camera would be interesting.

Only LG OLEDs are affected or also LCD based TVs from LG? Is it year depending?
How about Panasonic OLED or LCD TVs?
Klaus, those two chroma test patterns look just fine in PC mode, since PC mode does enable 4:4:4. The issue is that PC mode also switches the TV into 8-bit mode (this hasn't been proven 100%, but it is highly likely), which in and by itself would be OK, if it wasn't for the terrible banding it results in. You can see this in both SDR and HDR, although it's more prominent in HDR.

No clue if it also affects LG's LCDs or any of the other brands that use their panels.
Old 11th October 2019, 18:37   #57602  |  Link
thighhighs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Read the first part of this post and read the topic from here couple of pages.
Ok, 444@23... may be very useful But it’s very bad that it’s not "free". As well as any 4:4:4 modes on this TV, if i understand properly.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 18:52   #57603  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Klaus, those two chroma test patterns look just fine in PC mode, since PC mode does enable 4:4:4. The issue is that PC mode also switches the TV into 8-bit mode (this hasn't been proven 100%, but it is highly likely), which in and by itself would be OK, if it wasn't for the terrible banding it results in. You can see this in both SDR and HDR, although it's more prominent in HDR.

No clue if it also affects LG's LCDs or any of the other brands that use their panels.
Thanks for the info.
I thought of an 4:4:4 issue (4:4:4 and RGB ... , RGB is always 4:4:4 eqivalent ) because of that info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
@jk82 is right, LG does some crazy things, e.g. there's no proper chroma 4:4:4 in PC mode at 4k resolution.
Chros has a B8, you have a C7, so probably it differs from series and year?

Quote:
Only LG OLEDs are affected or also LCD based TVs from LG?
If someones knows that, please let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
But it’s very bad that it’s not "free". As well as any 4:4:4 modes on this TV, if i understand properly.
What is not free?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 19:17   #57604  |  Link
thighhighs

Klaus1189
PC mode allows 4:4:4 chroma, but has some problems... See chros notes about PC/non-PC modes from the link. That i mean not "free".
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 23:01   #57605  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I thought of an 4:4:4 issue (4:4:4 and RGB ... , RGB is always 4:4:4 eqivalent ) because of that info:

Chros has a B8, you have a C7, so probably it differs from series and year? If someones knows that, please let me know
There is no difference between models and years, as far as we can tell. What @chros was referring to was a statement made by Ted over at AVS, claiming that the LGs don't do a perfect 4:4:4, but very close. Nevertheless, chroma patterns are displayed without (noticeable) sub-sampling.
Old 11th October 2019, 23:09   #57606  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, couple of issues with AMD 19.9.2 ive found, I've moved back to 19.8.1, firstly the vocal volumes were off for me, much quieter then they should be, thought it was my setup but issue was resolved by moving back, to double check i installed again, same issue again, so went back again.

Second issue is corruption when skipping, this is something AMD cards have had on and off for years, it sorts itself out after a few seconds of playback usually so no big deal.

Not a MADVR issue I know but thought i should say.
Old 12th October 2019, 01:21   #57607  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I find that de-banding on low/low doesn't hurt picture quality at all, and is unfortunately necessary with most content, regardless of the display. It works really well, though.
The low settings were designed to avoid any noticeable image degradation and it works quite well on content.. I doubt that it would affect the panels colors enough to be considered an improvement TBH.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 03:35   #57608  |  Link
garson

So suggested setting for de-banding is low/low? I had it on medium/medium so far, 1080p Samsung LED TV.
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 06:54   #57609  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by garson View Post
So suggested setting for de-banding is low/low? I had it on medium/medium so far, 1080p Samsung LED TV.
Depends on how heavy the banding in your content is. Low/low doesn't cause any noticeable harm and gets rid of most banding. I leave it on low/low for everything.
Old 12th October 2019, 14:38   #57610  |  Link
el Filou

As always with compression artifacts, it depends on the source.
I have some MPEG2 SD TV channels that are so bitrate-starved that they need deband on high. The good thing is I find when you have horrible source, that deband on high also has the side-effect of smoothing out other compression artifacts without needing to enable other algos. Image looses some detail but I definitely prefer it to the bands-and-blocks fest that is the alternative.
Old 12th October 2019, 17:05   #57611  |  Link
garson

Quote:
Depends on how heavy the banding in your content is. Low/low doesn't cause any noticeable harm and gets rid of most banding. I leave it on low/low for everything.
I mostly watch 1080p movies, ~10GB in size.
Ok, so low/low should be fine.
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 09:14   #57612  |  Link
Bo.

Hi everyone.
When downscaling UHD->FHD (projector FHD) on test patterns S&M (Chroma Multiburst and Chroma Zone Plate), the Lanczos (tape 4) chroma upscaling looks much better than everyone else (with the exception of NGU AA, I just don't have enough power for it). super-xbr: the test circle looks awful because of the moire throughout the area. Jinc - too very dark edges in the corners. Spline looks a bit darker around the edges than Lanczos. Bilateral is generally terrible. Lanczos visually very similar to NGU AA on all test patterns. I use the SSIM 1D + LL + AR + AB downscaling algorithm.
How to choose the right algorithm? According to test patterns, as I did, I chose the closest to NGU (Lanczos for me), which looks great. Or put the most powerful (super-xbr) and not look at the test patterns?
Bo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 09:59   #57613  |  Link
huhn

test pattern can be like pixel art a place where jinc does bad.

i personally ignore test pattern fro chroma and select the chroma scale on real world image where it matters.

BTW you could avoid the chroma scaler in your case and use the option under trade for performance "scale chroma separately, if...".

NGU AA and super xBR AR are considered to be better choices for chroma.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 10:12   #57614  |  Link
Bo.

Thanks! If I cancel chroma scaling, then there is a clear difference on the real content. I can’t say for better or worse, it's just different. Without chroma scaling bright white-red areas look more blurry. With scaling more compiled. What would you advise to choose:
1) chroma: super-xbr + AR; luma: SSIM 1D + LL + AR + AB or 2) without chroma scaling; luma: SSIM 2D + LL + AR + AB

Last edited by Bo.; 16th October 2019 at 10:16.
Bo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 10:45   #57615  |  Link
huhn

i'm not down scaling so i have no real experience here not touching the chroma should be relative save and cheaper on the GPU.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2019, 14:00   #57616  |  Link
okc_smoker

Are there any examples out there of what the chroma layer actually looks like without the luma layer (and vice-versa)? Even better if there are examples of a chroma/luma layer upscaled with different algorithms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 16th October 2019, 15:40   #57617  |  Link
RXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tij View Post
Worst comes to worst ... can tell MadVR to output in Top/Bottom format ... then can tell TV to output 3D in Top/Bottom

if you use 4K LG OLED ... this should not result in any resolution loss

downside ... cannot watch 3d rips in 2d (as switching tv to 2d will show you top/bottom picture) ... solution - create symbolic link to your 3d rip ... name one mkv another mk3d ... then use madvr profiles to output one in top/bottom and another in 2d

plus side to this ... you using madvr to do chroma upscaling and horizontal stetching in 4k for 3d ... and for 2d you also using madvr for upscaling to 4k
Just wanted to say thanks for this tip. I just setup my 1660TI today and it works perfect
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 01:27   #57618  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Weird video resolution

Hey there
Can someone help me figure this out!

Why is my video concerting to a different resolution?

I don’t see any setting with that resolution...

The movie won’t really play. A few frames a minute.

I posted this same question earlier, but in the wrong place. Posting here for assistance.

Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 11:05   #57619  |  Link
mclingo

I doubt anyone here has the crystal ball required to help you with this, you've given us nothing to go on really, post your MADVR control+J screen and your system and gfx card specs + your video file specs.

Last edited by mclingo; 17th October 2019 at 16:45.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2019, 17:34   #57620  |  Link
Cowboydude99

Yes, I supposed having information would help!

I attached screenshots of what options are configured.

If more images are needed, please let me know.

Media File Info:ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name : HDR10
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 32 min
Bit rate : 47.2 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.237
Stream size : 50.1 GiB (93%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : BT.709
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 500 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 200 cd/m2
Attached Images

Cowboydude99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling