Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st December 2018, 15:57   #53781  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Exactly what I have been thinking and trying lately with madvr and my oled. I was trying all kinds of settings combinations but nothing helps,,, Reduce Random Noise might help but the value "1" is too strong , we need values between 0-1 and it could use a bit fine tunning.

It could be great if there was a high quality noise reduction + option to apply it on near black zones in a scene...
I see you have a C8, what you may be seeing is the flashing near-black macroblocking these all seem to have.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 16:07   #53782  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
I've recently bought a G-Sync monitor and now have a small problem and hope that someone can help me.
Although I'm not using fullscreen exclusive mode I get a short black flicker when I switch between windowed and fullscreen windowed mode. It seems like my monitor is switching G-Sync off when entering fullscreen windowed and switching it on again when leaving it - at least that's what its OSD says. This is especially annoying since it also happens when the seek bar is shown or hidden.

I'm using MPC-BE as player, but the problem does not happen with EVR-CP, so it seems to be madVR specific.

I've already configured the Nvidia driver to not use G-Sync for MPC-BE and this also had an effect (madVR shows the "normal" refresh rates - before they were way different), but doesn't seem to be enough?

My madVR settings:

* Fullscreen exclusive mode off
* D3D11 for presentation
* Native D3D11 decoding with LAV

My Nvidia settings:

* G-Sync globally on for fullscreen and windowed modes (I need this for games - it seems like it's not possible to globally disable it and just enable it for specific games)
* Added MPC-BE for custom application settings and configured it to use fixed refresh rates instead of G-Sync

Anyone an idea how to fix this?
In other words, how do I completely disable G-Sync for MPC-BE/madVR while keeping it active for games?
Hi,

There is a very simple fix for those who want to use a g-sync monitor with madvr but keep g-sync enabled for games (both fullscreen and windowed): add your media player player's .exe to the Window Media Player built-in nvidia profile (can do that through the NV Control Panel but I recommend using nvinspector instead).

Nvidia has done some magic and it works with this profile only (well there's a few others that work like Internet Explorer etc. but yeah). If you try to use a game profile or make your own custom profile it will not work properly and you'll end up with g-sync completely disabled for your games and other weird bugs. You can try adding madvr's .exe to the profile too but I have never had to do that.

Also I recommend not using fullscreen exclusive anymore (in madvr), I've had some weird issues with it on Windows 10 with a g-sync monitor.

Last edited by kalston; 1st December 2018 at 16:13.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 16:44   #53783  |  Link
cremor

kalston, thanks for the suggestion, but how do I add a new exe to the existing Windows Media Player profile? Even when I first select "Windows Media Player" and then add the MPC-BE exe it just creates a new entry in the program list for it.

As I've already written, I'm not using fullscreen exclusive.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 17:26   #53784  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
kalston, thanks for the suggestion, but how do I add a new exe to the existing Windows Media Player profile? Even when I first select "Windows Media Player" and then add the MPC-BE exe it just creates a new entry in the program list for it.

As I've already written, I'm not using fullscreen exclusive.
It's a bit clunky to do with nvidia's Control Panel, I've basically given up on it and just use nvinspector instead.

Anyway just use this: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-inspector/
in the archive you will find "nvidiaProfileInspector.exe": start it and then look up for the Windows Media Player profile in the box on the top left. Then next to the red cross (delete profile button) you will see a "add application to current profile" button. Simply use that and click "Apply changes" when done.

kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 17:47   #53785  |  Link
cremor

That worked, thanks!
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 00:53   #53786  |  Link
XTrojan

Does anyone know how to fix the brightness issue with external subtitles when HDR is enabled?

I tried lowering white color in xysubfilter, but this causes a new issue in which the subtitle merges with the movie in some scenes.

Edit: Lowering white color does sort of "fix it", the problem is external subtitle placement. If the subtitles are placed inbetween black bars and the movie itself, it will look weird as the subtitle part inside the black bar looks normal but the subtitle part inside the movie will look less bright and a bit weird as if it's mixing itself with the movie. I can post a screenshot tomorrow.

Last edited by XTrojan; 2nd December 2018 at 04:46.
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:07   #53787  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
Hey Guys, I've got a repeated frames glitch when starting a video file. The audio plays in the background but, the video portion initially freezes. This started after the latest windows 10 and nvidia upgrade, never had it before. It can freeze for up to 10 seconds sometimes. Anyone else seeing this? It is not exclusive to any one video.

https://imgur.com/a/t8eGSZZ on average it repeats about 900 frames before the video kicks in.

Once the video eventually begins playing I have no other issues for the remainder of playback.

MPC-HC 64 bit (tried both 1.7 and 1.8 builds)
External Lav (latest night build 73.0-1)
MADVR 92.17 (CPU Queue Size 16 and GPU Queue of 12)

If I use EVR custom Presenter instead of madvr I get Instant playback. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling madvr as well.

- toggling between options for fullscreen exclusive mode and Direct3D 11 for Presentation had no effect.
I'm having this issue too.

I first ran into this issue with the 1803 update. Disabling focus assist solved it then, which I shared my experience here and seemed to help a few other members. Now after updating to 1809, I have the same problem again, and focus assist remains off.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Every solution I've found in this thread has been to revert to an old version of either madVR or windows. I'm hoping for a more permanent or ideal solution. I've tried playing with different settings and updating the drivers etc. to no avail.

I have 3 computers running madVR and two of them have this issue. What I notice is that the two computers experiencing this issue, the composition rate changes from 59.94hz to 60hz. I don't remember this happening prior to 1809. My PC that doesn't experience this issue, the composition rate stays the same between FSE and windowed mode (59.94).

Last edited by rahzel; 2nd December 2018 at 09:15.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 16:05   #53788  |  Link
interpolation

do the kinds of calculations that madvr use for ngu upscaling benefit from the performance improvements in Quadro/Titan video cards versus RTX consumer cards?

just wondering if Quadro cards in general perform these kinds of calculations much better than consumer cards by design because Nvidia does gate off or restrict certain computations or floating-point depths. thank you.
interpolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 16:36   #53789  |  Link
svengun

[QUOTE=Ampallang;1856891]Hi Warner that works very well now I will try to set for the sources some fine tuning. But the pas far as I can see it looks as good and better than before and I have the feeling that it take less resources in hdr.

This fixed my issue as well , thanks Warner !
svengun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:48   #53790  |  Link
XTrojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolation View Post
do the kinds of calculations that madvr use for ngu upscaling benefit from the performance improvements in Quadro/Titan video cards versus RTX consumer cards?

just wondering if Quadro cards in general perform these kinds of calculations much better than consumer cards by design because Nvidia does gate off or restrict certain computations or floating-point depths. thank you.
I doubt it, because of the restrictions of double precision it seems rarely used outside of raw computation
XTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:55   #53791  |  Link
actarusfleed

Calibration with LUT

Hi all,
in the past days I've tested madvr's "tone map hdr using pixel shaders" and the result was very impressive on my sony 4K projector.

My settings in madvr were:
target peak nits= 250
Tone mapping curve = BT2390
color tweaks for fire & exp. = balanced
high recovery strenght= none

On my projector I've chosen widest gamut and a gamma curve of 2.4.

Now I want to start some calibration testing with LUT to reproduce better my UHD files.

Normally I use LightSpace to generate Luts.

My questions are:
1) I need to create a Lut targeting to rec.2020 or DCIP3 ?
2) The gamma curve of this lut must be BT.2390 or a classic power curve 2.4 ?

thank you so much.
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:37   #53792  |  Link
Ampallang

@actarusfleed I would try dci-p3 I can only remember 1 film which is mastered to bt.2020 targets.
When you use LightSpace you can make also the tonemapping via LightSpace. I have very good experience using the LightSpace tonemapping function into lut and save Hugh resources on processing and render times.
Ampallang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:46   #53793  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampallang View Post
When you use LightSpace you can make also the tonemapping via LightSpace. I have very good experience using the LightSpace tonemapping function into lut and save Hugh resources on processing and render times.
In which way I can do correctly this?
You mean pointing the lut to bt. 2390?

If we are off topic here please send me a Pm.

Thsnks

Inviato dal mio SM-N960F utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:56   #53794  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampallang View Post
@actarusfleed I would try dci-p3 I can only remember 1 film which is mastered to bt.2020 targets.
Madvr reports if an uhd files is mastered to bt. 2020 targets ?

If I use ctrl+j I can se that madvr tell me a lot of things about the reproduced files...
All my files are:

Matrix bt. 2020 (says upstream)
Primaries bt. 2020 (says upstream)
HDR xxx nit, Bt. 2020 - > Dci P3

Maybe last string tells me that the original gamut is Dci p3?

Let me know, please

Inviato dal mio SM-N960F utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 4th December 2018, 00:43   #53795  |  Link
jj666

Hi all,

I am using an ASUS PA32U monitor in conjunction with madVR 0.92.17/Lavfilters/MPC-HC and 2 x Nvidia FX1080 cards for display.

It seems that Nvidia drivers 416.81 are the last working (tried 416.94, 417.01 and new 417.22) drivers which actually trigger the HDR mode automatically in the monitor. Is anyone else having the same experience, or can advise on any tips to make playback work? I have as usual made a clean install of the drivers in each case.

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 01:10   #53796  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
Hi all,
in the past days I've tested madvr's "tone map hdr using pixel shaders" and the result was very impressive on my sony 4K projector.

My settings in madvr were:
target peak nits= 250
Tone mapping curve = BT2390
color tweaks for fire & exp. = balanced
high recovery strenght= none

On my projector I've chosen widest gamut and a gamma curve of 2.4.

Now I want to start some calibration testing with LUT to reproduce better my UHD files.

Normally I use LightSpace to generate Luts.

My questions are:
1) I need to create a Lut targeting to rec.2020 or DCIP3 ?
2) The gamma curve of this lut must be BT.2390 or a classic power curve 2.4 ?

thank you so much.
If you are using pixel shaders, the LUT should be SDR and not PQ.

DisplayCAL recommends DCI-P3 and pure power 2.20. You could also try 2.40.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 01:51   #53797  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj666 View Post
It seems that Nvidia drivers 416.81 are the last working (tried 416.94, 417.01 and new 417.22) drivers which actually trigger the HDR mode automatically in the monitor.
Same here, seems like nvidia only releases working drivers when madshi tells them about it and then the next driver is broken again. Really frustrating when you also use your GPU for games.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 03:09   #53798  |  Link
ryrynz

Dual boot. One OS for HTPC and one for games. It's really the only logical way to deal with this ongoing and likely never ending driver nightmare.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 07:58   #53799  |  Link
jj666

Thanks a lot for the info guys! Indeed, what a pain in the ass...

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 08:50   #53800  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Dual boot. One OS for HTPC and one for games. It's really the only logical way to deal with this ongoing and likely never ending driver nightmare.
This is what I'm going to do now, getting a bit tired of win10 updates or nvidia driver updates messing stuff up, so I'm gonna install Win8.1 as well.

What's the latest nvidia driver recommended for win8.1 with a 1080 ti? (I need 2160p23 4:4:4 10/12bit custom resolution and HDR.)

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 4th December 2018 at 09:01.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling