Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2020, 20:05   #1521  |  Link
stax76

Which one did you use?

Release_Intel_W7_Core2_AVX

Release_W7_AVX

edit:

The included one was Release_W7_AVX2, I'll replace it with Release_W7_AVX.

Last edited by stax76; 15th March 2020 at 20:12.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:31   #1522  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Changing my codepage to UTF8 has caused a very small issue in the stable release, the crop dialog showed the Plus–minus sign ∓ which has the code point 177, with UTF8 it shows an error symbol. What I did to prevent something like this to happen in the future is to improve the release script, it scans now all source code files and returns an error if anything non ASCII is found, overall two non ASCII characters were in the original code, and they could be replaced easily. I've found a suspicious line in the ffmpeg source but cannot report it without analyzing it with a debugger, working with non Visual Studio code is very difficult for me, I soon have to learn it because I need a custom libmpv build so mpv.net can open vapoursynth scripts. I hope qyot27 does something regarding the ffmpeg issue.
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Code:
### 2.0.8.12 Beta without apps

- fix: external avs/vpy scripts that use relative instead of
       absolute paths failed to load

### 2.0.8.11 Beta without apps

- new: Version is shown in main dialog title bar

- fix: event command issue
- fix: layout and usability issue in audio dialog (Patman)
I've found 2.0.8.12 Beta has one critical issue and one minor issue.

1) Critical Issue

The FrameServer.dll shipped with it (148 KiB, 2.0.8.12 Beta was downloaded from DropBox) causes this FrameServer.dll error, which looks familiar.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...00#post1902400

So I replaced it with the one shipped with 2.0.8.0 stable (32 KiB), and now the error is gone.

2) Minor Issue

The main window doesn't remember its last position. Every time I start up StaxRip, it appears at a location not intended by me.
Old 15th March 2020, 21:05   #1523  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
The FrameServer.dll shipped with it (148 KiB, 2.0.8.12 Beta was downloaded from DropBox) causes this FrameServer.dll error, which looks familiar.
Previously I switched between debug and release manually but since it was very cumbersome to do that I integrated building into the release script while porting the script from VB.NET to PowerShell yesterday, probably something is wrong with the new script, the code is so simple that I didn't expect that something could go wrong, calls the build tool with Release config and checks the exit code afterwards.

Code:
& $msBuild ($PSScriptRoot + '\StaxRip.sln') /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform=x64

if ($LastExitCode)
{
    throw $LastExitCode
}
Quote:
The main window doesn't remember its last position. Every time I start up StaxRip, it appears at a location not intended by me.
I'll investigate it.

Last edited by stax76; 15th March 2020 at 21:08.
Old 15th March 2020, 21:49   #1524  |  Link
cyanfire

Quote:
Which one did you use?

Release_Intel_W7_Core2_AVX

Release_W7_AVX

edit:

The included one was Release_W7_AVX2, I'll replace it with Release_W7_AVX.
Yeah i used Release_W7_AVX
Old 15th March 2020, 22:16   #1525  |  Link
stax76

Here is another fix including apps this time (new release script makes it easier to upload builds):

Code:
### 2.0.9.1 Beta

- new: Check for Updates added to main menu in Help section

- fix: QTGMC did not work on systems without AVX2
- fix: Window position of the main dialog was not remembered
- fix: FrameServer.dll again released as debug build because
       of a bug in the new release script
https://github.com/staxrip/staxrip/b...r/Changelog.md

https://staxrip.readthedocs.io/intro.html#download
Old 15th March 2020, 22:33   #1526  |  Link
DavidRyan

Seeing this change: "The included one was Release_W7_AVX2, I'll replace it with Release_W7_AVX.", I assume for those of us with AVX2-capable processors it will be to our advantage to copy over the AVX2 version of this dll if we update in future? If QTGMC is making use of AVX2 in some way I'm guessing there is a performance advantage to keeping this one, esp given how demanding QTGMC can be.
Old 16th March 2020, 00:47   #1527  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRyan View Post
Seeing this change: "The included one was Release_W7_AVX2, I'll replace it with Release_W7_AVX.", I assume for those of us with AVX2-capable processors it will be to our advantage to copy over the AVX2 version of this dll if we update in future? If QTGMC is making use of AVX2 in some way I'm guessing there is a performance advantage to keeping this one, esp given how demanding QTGMC can be.
Like you pointed out, AVX2-enabled CPU users can always overwrite the plugins_JPSDR.dll file in

StaxRip\Apps\Plugins\AVS\JPSDR\

with the up-to-date Release_W7_AVX2 build of JPSDR from its git site.

Well, I think it's a matter of whether StaxRip maintains universality or gains efficiency that StaxRip ships with an AVX-only version of JPSDR.
And as most of you would agree, this issue is totally up to @stax.

But of course I agree that there needs to be some documentation on this matter - at least on the online manual.

Last edited by JKyle; 16th March 2020 at 00:50.
Old 16th March 2020, 00:53   #1528  |  Link
Atlantis

Something is missing in 2.0.8.0. that existed before.

In the crop window, you had two zoom squares in the middle on the bottom and top where the crop was. You could easily see how much to crop in zoomed in boxes.
Now it is gone. You see no zoom. This was very important.
Old 16th March 2020, 03:10   #1529  |  Link
MrBrownCow

Does anyone with a 3rd gen Ryzen processor get their CPU fully utilized or is x265 just not good at taking advantage of too many cores...

I'm ok with it, was just curious if there were tweaks or anything that lead to more cores being utilized. Maybe Ryzen master profiles anyone has seen work well for staxrip?

https://i.imgur.com/IqtunAI.png
Old 16th March 2020, 03:23   #1530  |  Link
stax76

In the Apps dialog there is a short description for each tool, it's now updated to show 'Included is the W7 AVX variant'. Users can either replace it or define an external path. Maybe somebody can request a single variant from JPSDR. I don't have much time to do more about it.

Quote:
In the crop window, you had two zoom squares in the middle on the bottom and top where the crop was. You could easily see how much to crop in zoomed in boxes.
Now it is gone. You see no zoom. This was very important.
The Direct2D API is very different from the API (WinForms/GDI) that was used before, would probably take some time, so I don't plan to put it back, sorry.
Old 16th March 2020, 03:40   #1531  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrownCow View Post
Does anyone with a 3rd gen Ryzen processor get their CPU fully utilized or is x265 just not good at taking advantage of too many cores...

I'm ok with it, was just curious if there were tweaks or anything that lead to more cores being utilized. Maybe Ryzen master profiles anyone has seen work well for staxrip?

https://i.imgur.com/IqtunAI.png
AFAIK, it depends on the resolution of the input video and thread settings in x265.

Please read this post and others in the thread.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...73#post1827973

And if you're interested in utilizing more threads via distributed encoding with x265, you better consider giving a try to RipBot264.

Last edited by JKyle; 16th March 2020 at 03:44.
Old 16th March 2020, 17:30   #1532  |  Link
ukmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmark View Post
Looks like you choose the decoder, preset, profile, level, encoding method and quality setting, and output resolution. With h264 if I change the ICQ setting from say 24 to 26, the resulting file size is reduced as you would expect. However, with h265, changing the ICQ level has no effect on the file size produced.

Does this seem like an Intel bug with h265 ICQ on fixed function encoding, or is it a QSVEnc bug (rigaya) or even something in StaxRip??

I've also asked the question on rigaya's QSVEnc github.
This is a bug with Inel Media SDK. I raised issue on github (https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/issues/1977), and they found out that (for some unknown reason so far), the quality used by ICQ fixed-function encoding for 8bit or 10bit HEVC is "hard coded" to 26 and ignores your chosen level.

Another issue I reported (https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/issues/1980) has been passed on to their documentation team I believe. This is to do with using CQP 10bit HEVC encoding.

It appears that the QP range of 1-51 is for 8bit HEVC (have not tested AVC), and for 10bit the QP range is extended from 1-63. I was getting huge file sizes for 10bit HEVC vs 8bit HEVC when using CQP mode. The defaults in StaxRip for CQP are I:24, P:26 and B:27.

FYI I am using I:33, P:33 and B:37 with 9 b-frames for 10bit HEVC CQP mode, and am very happy with the results. I was previously using ICQ, but very occasionally with sudden very high motion scenes, I would get a lot of blockiness during playback (maybe HEVC ICQ with lookahead might help if/when it gets implemented). I found with above settings for CQP, encodes have no blockiness and by using 9 b-frames along with b-pyramid being set on, file sizes are very acceptable (on average between 5-15% higher than CRF 24 with x265 SW encoding, and very similar visual quality). Playback is via Amlogic S905x2 box running CoreELEC OS and is hardware decoded by the box. (I think at one time, some media players couldn't handle a large number of b-frames, but that issue does not exist with S905x2 and CoreELEC.)

Last edited by ukmark; 16th March 2020 at 17:35.
Old 17th March 2020, 15:02   #1533  |  Link
DMagic1

I recently updated Staxrip after not updating for a while from 2060 to 2080. I have used a code to add boarders to videos that had none.
AddBorders(0, (1080 - %source_height% )/2, 0, (1080 - %source_height% )/2, color_black)
This worked very well and I had no issues. I'm not sure if it was after to update but now when I process a video it comes out in the same input resolution without the boarders even though the preview looks correct. The "new" avs file has the code and when I test play it the boarders are there.

Last edited by DMagic1; 17th March 2020 at 15:28.
Old 18th March 2020, 01:07   #1534  |  Link
DMagic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMagic1 View Post
I recently updated Staxrip after not updating for a while from 2060 to 2080. I have used a code to add boarders to videos that had none.
AddBorders(0, (1080 - %source_height% )/2, 0, (1080 - %source_height% )/2, color_black)
This worked very well and I had no issues. I'm not sure if it was after to update but now when I process a video it comes out in the same input resolution without the boarders even though the preview looks correct. The "new" avs file has the code and when I test play it the boarders are there.
So it seems it was because I had the wrong decoder selected.
Old 18th March 2020, 10:56   #1535  |  Link
taulen

Is it possible to run StaxRip on 2 separate machines while using the same source file from a shared folder ? When trying this staxrip seems to crash because of writing to the same temp /log file ?
The workaround seems to be to duplicate the source file before starting the process, but that seems a bit wasteful and takes time on 5400 rpm drives :P
Old 18th March 2020, 19:29   #1536  |  Link
AMED

Hi Stax76

I'm currently using a single instance of StaxRip on 2 computers via mapped share to process a single job queue . After upgrading to from v2.0.6.0 version to v2.0.8.0 (also tested 2.0.9.12) the file path for the setting changes from the mapped drive to the full UNC path which borks a lot of the plugins from working.

Computer1 has a physical Z drive. Computer2 has Computer1's Z drive mapped as Z drive so the path references will be the same.

E.g. v2.0.6.0 in the registry after clicking browse for custom directory and selecting "Z:\Bluray\StaxRip\Settings"
Code:
Computer1 Setting location
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StaxRip\SettingsLocation]
"Z:\\Bluray\\Staxrip\\"="Z:\\Bluray\\StaxRip\\Settings\\"
Code:
Computer2 Setting location
E.g. v2.0.8.0 (and v2.0.9.12) in the registry after clicking browse for custom directory and selecting "Z:\Bluray\StaxRip\Settings"
Code:
Code:
Computer2 Setting location in registry
"\\\\192.168.11.1\\z$\\Bluray\\StaxRip\\"="Z:\\Bluray\\StaxRip\\Settings\\"
If i try and delete that key and manually create it like on Computer1 i just get prompted for the settings directory again when i open StaxRip.
Old 19th March 2020, 07:34   #1537  |  Link
Z'Hadum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMED View Post
Hi Stax76

I'm currently using a single instance of StaxRip on 2 computers via mapped share to process a single job queue . After upgrading to from v2.0.6.0 version to v2.0.8.0 (also tested 2.0.9.12) the file path for the setting changes from the mapped drive to the full UNC path which borks a lot of the plugins from working.

Computer1 has a physical Z drive. Computer2 has Computer1's Z drive mapped as Z drive so the path references will be the same.

E.g. v2.0.6.0 in the registry after clicking browse for custom directory and selecting "Z:\Bluray\StaxRip\Settings"
Code:
Code:
Computer2 Setting location
E.g. v2.0.8.0 (and v2.0.9.12) in the registry after clicking browse for custom directory and selecting "Z:\Bluray\StaxRip\Settings"
Code:
Code:
Computer2 Setting location in registry
"\\\\192.168.11.1\\z$\\Bluray\\StaxRip\\"="Z:\\Bluray\\StaxRip\\Settings\\"
If i try and delete that key and manually create it like on Computer1 i just get prompted for the settings directory again when i open StaxRip.
I realized the same: To workaround it, you can choose in the "Settings path dialog" at first startup a custom directory and then choose the path with the mapped drive.
Old 19th March 2020, 08:22   #1538  |  Link
AMED

@Z'Hadum

That's what i have been doing and still uses the UNC path.

Old 19th March 2020, 09:44   #1539  |  Link
stax76

There was a bug with UNC paths so a recent beta would be needed:

https://staxrip.readthedocs.io/intro.html#download

Please try:

Main Menu > Options > Paths > Temp Files Folder
Old 19th March 2020, 17:52   #1540  |  Link
AMED

thanks stax76,

I am testing with the latest beta.

My Temp Files folder is "C:\TMP\%source_name%_temp" since i do the processing on each computers C: Drive and then my default target folder is "Z:\Bluray\Conversion".

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265