Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th December 2018, 15:22   #53801  |  Link
SirSwede

Questions:

If you buy a Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB and are going to use it to upscale 540p and 720p to 2160p, what is the weakest/cheapest motherboard, PSU, processor and least amount of RAM you can get away with (using MPC-HC, LAV Filters, nVidia Cuvid and madVR)?

Or is the Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus Advanced 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB better?

What's the difference between a "Ti" and one without the "Ti"?

PS. I am thinking about going with this one and not build one after all (how does this one look): https://www.elgiganten.se/product/da..._PRISJAKT_EGAB

Last edited by SirSwede; 4th December 2018 at 15:54. Reason: Added PC example
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 16:22   #53802  |  Link
SirSwede

By the way: I heard that W7 is not compatible with Coffe Lake. Can anyone tell me if W8.1 is?
Old 4th December 2018, 16:54   #53803  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj666 View Post
Hi all,

I am using an ASUS PA32U monitor in conjunction with madVR 0.92.17/Lavfilters/MPC-HC and 2 x Nvidia FX1080 cards for display.

It seems that Nvidia drivers 416.81 are the last working (tried 416.94, 417.01 and new 417.22) drivers which actually trigger the HDR mode automatically in the monitor. Is anyone else having the same experience, or can advise on any tips to make playback work? I have as usual made a clean install of the drivers in each case.

Cheers,

-jj-
Don't want to go OT in this madVR thread too much but you are correct. All 3 of the latest drivers have HDR mode switching problems of one sort or another. Some players do switch and others don't. I use a lot of different players. The last driver that switches all of them is 416.81. Still, that driver (and all the drivers since 388.59) have a specific audio bug related with Windows 10 auto switching. I've been editing the installer to use the HD Audio driver from 388.59 as a workaround. I doubt your specific monitor has anything to do with the equation. Why are you using 2 video cards? I tried in the past and madVR did not support SLI afaik.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 21:05   #53804  |  Link
ajp_anton

Feature request:

- Move active image to the top of the screen.
Why? To minimize overlap between subtitles (that are moved down into the black bar) and the image.

- Allow subtitles to span wider than the active image, when there are black bars on left/right (instead of top/bottom). Right now, when watching 4:3 content, some very long subtitle lines are split into two, sometimes making 2-line subtitles into 4-line ones.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 21:41   #53805  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Still, that driver (and all the drivers since 388.59) have a specific audio bug related with Windows 10 auto switching. I've been editing the installer to use the HD Audio driver from 388.59 as a workaround.
Couldn't you install 388.59 fully and then custom install the newer drivers, deselecting the audio driver?
Or is that what you mean by "editing the installer"?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 21:54   #53806  |  Link
brazen1

No. If you deselect part of a driver from an installation package (audio in this case), the old driver is removed during the install process and then you are left with nothing. Editing the driver install package to swap drivers around is too OT for this forum but I have explained in detail how to do it in the link in my sig. It may not even apply to you but it does me for a couple major issues. Mainly AAC audio common in HEVC x265 rips and internet video behavior (such as youtube) depending on state of AVR on/off.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 22:15   #53807  |  Link
jj666

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Don't want to go OT in this madVR thread too much but you are correct. All 3 of the latest drivers have HDR mode switching problems of one sort or another. Some players do switch and others don't. I use a lot of different players. The last driver that switches all of them is 416.81. Still, that driver (and all the drivers since 388.59) have a specific audio bug related with Windows 10 auto switching. I've been editing the installer to use the HD Audio driver from 388.59 as a workaround. I doubt your specific monitor has anything to do with the equation. Why are you using 2 video cards? I tried in the past and madVR did not support SLI afaik.
Thanks all for the information, I will keep my eye on the thread in case a further driver release does "everything" then :-).

Reason for the two graphics cards is that I occasionally use the machine for gaming (and in the past also made use for Boinc distributed computer).

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 22:35   #53808  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
By the way: I heard that W7 is not compatible with Coffee Lake. Can anyone tell me if W8.1 is?
It's not that it's not compatible, it's just not supported..
There's zero compatibility issues with 8.1, you're better off with this OS anyway but you can try 7 with Coffee Lake, will probably work just fine.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 23:25   #53809  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
There's zero compatibility issues with 8.1, you're better off with this OS anyway but you can try 7 with Coffee Lake, will probably work just fine.
It may not be a "compatibility" issue as such, but Microsoft has stopped offering you Windows Updates if you use an unsupported CPU. So if you run such a CPU, its really unwise to stick to that OS. An unpatched OS is a bad idea.
Old 4th December 2018, 23:38   #53810  |  Link
actarusfleed

MadVR settings for 2.35:1 screens

Hi guys,
I own a 4K projector and a Panoramic screen (2.35:1 format).

I use my HTPC (nvidia gtx 970, Win 10) with Kodi +DSplayer with MadVR.

I need to inscribe the image in my screen.
Using resize function into Nvidia control panel I've resized the OS desktop to 3840x1662 px and now it's ok.

If I execute Kodi I can see it perfectly inscribed into my screen.

The problem starts when I execute a film ... Madvr infacts compress the image ratio.

So I've setted MadVr in this way:
> Automatically detect hard coded black bars
> crop black bars.

Now I'm playing some 2.35:1 film but the result is not right.

Can some one suggest me righty settings?

thank you
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2018, 12:14   #53811  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by actarusfleed View Post
I've tested madvr's "tone map hdr using pixel shaders" on my sony 4K projector. My settings were:
target peak nits= 250
Tone mapping curve = BT2390
color tweaks for fire & exp. = balanced
high recovery strenght= none
Did you compare Highlight recovery enabled and disabled with the non-tone mapped picture ? You really lose a lot of detail setting highlight recovery to none, I would suggest at least going to the projector thread on AVS Forum and comparing screenshots of None/Low/Medium to the non-tone mapped pictures to see the extent of what you lose.
Highlight recovery uses a lot of processing power but it gives excellent results.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:45   #53812  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Thanks! Do you know if it possible to install it on a SSD drive with USB 3.0 ports?

Even if it possible to install it, there is no support for chipset drivers, is there?

I so would love to be able to use madVR with Windows 7 on a Coffee Lake processor.

Last edited by SirSwede; 5th December 2018 at 12:54.
Old 5th December 2018, 12:48   #53813  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It may not be a "compatibility" issue as such, but Microsoft has stopped offering you Windows Updates if you use an unsupported CPU. So if you run such a CPU, its really unwise to stick to that OS. An unpatched OS is a bad idea.
Even though all you do with that PC is use it for madVR and it is not connected to the Internet, only the network LAN, and your router as a built in firewall?

I have been doing just that for five years now on an older PC, only using it as a HTPC running madVR and it has been working great!
Old 5th December 2018, 13:17   #53814  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Even though all you do with that PC is use it for madVR and it is not connected to the Internet, only the network LAN, and your router as a built in firewall?
Yes, no matter what you do, its always a bad idea. There is no argument to be made for running insecure/unpatched software with known exploits.
Old 5th December 2018, 23:53   #53815  |  Link
KrazyLurt

The nVidia update to 417.22 still have an issue with full RGB even though limited is selected.

This time this is re-produced by turning HDR on or off either with Windows or the nVidia api, and is present until for instance you change the refresh rate.

Limited colorspace is essential for me with a 2017 9000 series Philips OLED that have no option to use RGB full
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 03:37   #53816  |  Link
seiyafan

Quote:
Questions:

If you buy a Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB and are going to use it to upscale 540p and 720p to 2160p, what is the weakest/cheapest motherboard, PSU, processor and least amount of RAM you can get away with (using MPC-HC, LAV Filters, nVidia Cuvid and madVR)?

Or is the Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Cerberus Advanced 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB better?

What's the difference between a "Ti" and one without the "Ti"?

PS. I am thinking about going with this one and not build one after all (how does this one look): https://www.elgiganten.se/product/da..._PRISJAKT_EGAB
1070 Ti is closer to 1080 than 1070 in terms of performance.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 03:49   #53817  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLurt View Post
Limited colorspace is essential for me with a 2017 9000 series Philips OLED that have no option to use RGB full
As a workaround with almost no quality loss you can use YUV 4:4:4 limited range instead. Edit: Hmm, limited/full range for RGB is working for me, on drivers 417.22.

It is strange how HTPC features don't seem to be on Nvidia's driver QA team's lists at all.

Last edited by Asmodian; 6th December 2018 at 03:52.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 13:56   #53818  |  Link
KrazyLurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
As a workaround with almost no quality loss you can use YUV 4:4:4 limited range instead. Edit: Hmm, limited/full range for RGB is working for me, on drivers 417.22.
Yeah YUV 4:4:4 dont need the full/limited option, but the bug is activated anyway even with YUV 4:4:4. As I mentioned, it's only (for me) triggers when going from HDR to SDR, and is back to normal without crushed blacks/overblown highlights when changing resolution or refresh rate
KrazyLurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:24   #53819  |  Link
giulianoprs

good day everyone, in the OSD occasionally gives me "dropped frames" 5/6, while all the other values ​​are always 0! above "1 frame repeat every 4.80 5 hours.
everage state between 18 and 19 ms.
max stats on 24/25.
do you think it's regular?
use in chroma NGU sharp medium
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 09:58   #53820  |  Link
ryrynz

Post a screenshot of your OSD after some dropped frames also provide your graphics card model.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling