Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2017, 17:59   #43141  |  Link
Anima123

SR would bring some alias back, not sure it's the best combination with NGU AA.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 18:13   #43142  |  Link
aufkrawall

SR1 is uncritical.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 19:05   #43143  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Just bought gtx 1050 ti, anyone experiencing weird spikes while watching a movie, driver version 375.95.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 21:25   #43144  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Just bought gtx 1050 ti, anyone experiencing weird spikes while watching a movie, driver version 375.95.
Make sure that you have your nvidia card power setting set to "Adaptive" under NVIDIA Control panel -> 3D Settings (Global) -> Manage 3D Settings -> Power Management mode -> Adaptive.
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 21:38   #43145  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
Make sure that you have your nvidia card power setting set to "Adaptive" under NVIDIA Control panel -> 3D Settings (Global) -> Manage 3D Settings -> Power Management mode -> Adaptive.
Are you sure? Doesn't that setting activate the power-saving modes? I have mine set to "Performance" which de-activates power saving and I never have a problem watching even the longest movies.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 22:16   #43146  |  Link
aufkrawall

Adaptive should be "aggressive" enough to prevent playback anomalies. "optimal performance" is weird (ok, imho it simply is broken by design).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 22:22   #43147  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Are you sure? Doesn't that setting activate the power-saving modes? I have mine set to "Performance" which de-activates power saving and I never have a problem watching even the longest movies.
If you have is set for "Performance" then you are all set. There have been issues with dropped frames and unstable queues in Madvr with the NVIDIA card set to the default of "Optimal Power". This issue can sometimes be cleared with either "Adaptive" or "Prefer maximum performance" settings.

I have found that external subtitle renders, (if you use them) such assmodfilter or XYsubfilter can cause spikes as well and I usually just use the internal subtitle renderer within MPC-BE / CE.

Another possibility is your Madvr settings might be too aggressive for some of your content but not all. I use several different Madvr profiles to maximize settings for different content based on resolution, frame rate, etc.

Sometimes a lot of experimentation is needed to get things working correctly. I often think I spend more time tweaking Madvr settings than watching content!
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 22:54   #43148  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
I have 1050Ti myself, did you get one with an 6-Pin PCIe connector? Because depending on your madVR settings your card could be hitting the power limit and clocking down. 1050Tis without an extra power connector are performance-limited, depending on the BIOS some have a 75W limit, which they don't even reach when they begin throttling, some even have 72W limit on stock.

Try newer drivers. I had 376.33 before, which worked perfectly and am now running 378.66 without problems.

Also, "Optimal" power mode works fine here, no idea why people are complaining.

Edit: Most of the time people reporting weird spikes or dropped frames is caused by disabling the trade quality for performance setting "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" and having different debanding strengths.

Last edited by ibius; 21st March 2017 at 23:06.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:06   #43149  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
I have 1050Ti myself, did you get one with an 6-Pin PCIe connector? Because depending on your madVR settings your card could be hitting the power limit and clocking down. 1050Tis without an extra power connector are performance-limited, depending on the BIOS some have a 75W limit, which they don't even reach when they begin throttling, some even have 72W limit on stock.
You seem to have read a lot about this subject. What are the recommendations then for this 1050Ti ? Any special Brands/products to pick/avoid ?

And you're right about the debanding which can causes severe frames drops for fade in/out rerendering. Either you change the "trade quality for performance setting" or you pick the same level for fade in/out than normal debanding.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:37   #43150  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post

Try newer drivers. I had 376.33 before, which worked perfectly and am now running 378.66 without problems.

Also, "Optimal" power mode works fine here, no idea why people are complaining.

Edit: Most of the time people reporting weird spikes or dropped frames is caused by disabling the trade quality for performance setting "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" and having different debanding strengths.
apparently, i don't have issue with "optimal power" on 378.92 or previous drivers.

FYI, i left reduce banding artifacts un-ticked & trade quality for performance default (8 ticked from the 1st top)

NGU Sharp, medium quality
Cubic - Bicubic150
medium <-- luma doubling (the rest let madVR decide)
tick use Direct3D 11 for presentation (Windows 7 and newer)
Error Diffusion - option 2

any suggestion to improve my setting? thanks.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:47   #43151  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I installed the latest drivers, and and i'm getting one presentation glitch after 15-20 min of playback sometimes later, using the default optimal power in the drivers, my settings are:

chroma - jinc AR
image - jinc AR
dithering error diffusion 2
using 3DLUT.

render times are around 11 ms.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:57   #43152  |  Link
Magik Mark

guys,

I'm also getting drop frames from time to time. Dunno if its the driver responsible. Switched back from NGU AA high to NNEDI64, so far no frame drops. Will watch more videos to see if frame drops will start showing again
Old 22nd March 2017, 22:54   #43153  |  Link
Ely

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I've noticed recently that 23.976 content displays like crap on my 60Hz monitor with madVr. You know all these tracking shots ? Well for some reason, I can really tell from one frame to another and everything feels super choppy. I can't remember if it's always been like this or not, but recently it's started bugging me quite a lot.

I've tried enabling/disabling smoothmotion but to no avail.. display settings are set to match when playback starts, and I'm in exclusive mode.

The only "solution" I've found for now is to use mpv with video-sync=display-resample which displays those tracking shots in a much more natural way.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 23:23   #43154  |  Link
huhn

the closet to video-sync=display-resample is reclock.
smoothmotion should do a way better job with 23p source at 60hz.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:17   #43155  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely View Post
I've tried enabling/disabling smoothmotion but to no avail.. display settings are set to match when playback starts, and I'm in exclusive mode.
That's your problem right there. Smooth motion don't do jack if you're setting your matching content FPS to refresh rate. Switch to 60Hz as Huhn said.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:16   #43156  |  Link
leandronb

Hi guys. i always used my video card set to a custom resolution when playing 23p content in madvr, set it to 23,977 and 1124 vertical pixels. But for some reason today this was giving me dropped frames, a lot and it was really noticeable in playback.
I deleted the custom resolution and tried with stock nvidia settings, still dropped frames. tried the custom resolution again and still had the frame drops but it was showing "1 frame drop every 3 days" or other huge number like usual, but the frames were dropping and it was counting.
but when i set to not match video frame rate and play in 60hz mode it shows 1 frame repeat every 40 seconds but no frame is repeated or dropped.
I have a gtx 1070 and madvr v0.90.24.

EDIT:found one thing. i set madvr to not match frame rate and set manually at nvidia panel to 23hz. opened the video and it shows no dropped frames at 23,970hz as soon as i enter exclusive mode the frame drops starts.

Last edited by leandronb; 23rd March 2017 at 16:21.
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:57   #43157  |  Link
Asmodian

Don't use exclusive mode then.

Win10 often doesn't like exclusive mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
apparently, i don't have issue with "optimal power" on 378.92 or previous drivers.
This very GPU/madVR settings/driver specific. I get dropped frames or presentation glitches on optimal power with my Titan XP and certain video sizes. Sometimes it is too agressive saving power, madVR is a very choppy load so it can power down after one frame and then take a bit too long powering up for the next.
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:02   #43158  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Hi guys. i always used my video card set to a custom resolution when playing 23p content in madvr, set it to 23,977 and 1124 vertical pixels. But for some reason today this was giving me dropped frames, a lot and it was really noticeable in playback.
I deleted the custom resolution and tried with stock nvidia settings, still dropped frames. tried the custom resolution again and still had the frame drops but it was showing "1 frame drop every 3 days" or other huge number like usual, but the frames were dropping and it was counting.
but when i set to not match video frame rate and play in 60hz mode it shows 1 frame repeat every 40 seconds but no frame is repeated or dropped.
I have a gtx 1070 and madvr v0.90.24.

EDIT:found one thing. i set madvr to not match frame rate and set manually at nvidia panel to 23hz. opened the video and it shows no dropped frames at 23,970hz as soon as i enter exclusive mode the frame drops starts.
Found the problem. F.Lux. It doesn't like madvr exclusive mode. just had to put it on safe mode.
Old 23rd March 2017, 22:49   #43159  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Found the problem. F.Lux.
This has been mentioned so many times in the thread it's pretty common knowledge.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 16:14   #43160  |  Link
khanmein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Don't use exclusive mode then.

Win10 often doesn't like exclusive mode.

This very GPU/madVR settings/driver specific. I get dropped frames or presentation glitches on optimal power with my Titan XP and certain video sizes. Sometimes it is too agressive saving power, madVR is a very choppy load so it can power down after one frame and then take a bit too long powering up for the next.
i thought the dropped frames/presentation glitches are unavoidable.

now are u using prefer max performance?

my global setting, gamma off, AF 16x, high quality, anisotropic sample & trilinear off
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling