Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th November 2021, 19:09   #62241  |  Link
LordX2

So I bit the bullet and ordered a RTX 3060 (not Ti) with 12Gb video ram. So quite the jump from the 4gb I have now.

Just curious about settings to crank once the card arrives. Obviously I will increase the Chroma and Luma to NGU high(est) and see how that works with rendering times.

For my HDR to SDR tone mapping - I like to keep it as close to 'natural' as possible (I didn't like the beta curves). I have it on Desaturate 1, and the only other setting on is Highlight Recovery at High.

Are there any other tone mapping settings that I should consider raising? That are quality related only VS taste?
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2021, 19:39   #62242  |  Link
huhn

Vram is litearally the least thing madVR ever cares about.

don't waste your time onm NGU high for chroma.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2021, 21:57   #62243  |  Link
LenniePaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
So I bit the bullet and ordered a RTX 3060 (not Ti) with 12Gb video ram. So quite the jump from the 4gb I have now.

Just curious about settings to crank once the card arrives. Obviously I will increase the Chroma and Luma to NGU high(est) and see how that works with rendering times.

For my HDR to SDR tone mapping - I like to keep it as close to 'natural' as possible (I didn't like the beta curves). I have it on Desaturate 1, and the only other setting on is Highlight Recovery at High.

Are there any other tone mapping settings that I should consider raising? That are quality related only VS taste?
You could have saved some money, and got an RTX2060 Super. I'm running pretty high settings with it, with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
LenniePaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2021, 22:21   #62244  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post

don't waste your time onm NGU high for chroma.
The 4GB VRAM was definitely a problem for me while trying to tone map and have chroma and luma upscaling. I was absolutely hitting the limit on the card - and had to back off buffered frames etc just to free up enough VRAM
Old 5th November 2021, 23:59   #62245  |  Link
mark0077

Hi guys, I see mixed results regarding windows 11 and madVR. I have just switched to windows 11 a few days ago and am quite happy in general. I have updated to the latest madVR beta as of a few days ago. I am finding however that I am seeing a lot of frame drops, but mostly when I have a window open on top of madVR (eg if a movie is playing in mpc-be + madVR and if I right click and open say the madVR settings window, the frames start dropping like crazy). Its hard to explain as it seems to be worse when I'm in fullscreen windowed as opposed to a smaller size window. Then it might go away after a few seconds.

This is with a C1 77", 5950x, MSI RTX 3080 and latest nvidia drivers 496.49.

The render and present jump from ~14ms and 6ms respectively up to about 30ms and 50ms respectively (but it fluctuates up and down) when a window is open above madVR like the madVR settings window.

I couldn't find this specific scenario when searching so hoping I'm not the only one. This was upgraded from a windows 10 of >1 year old which was very stable I have to say and didn't have this issue.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 00:50   #62246  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Don't have a choice with 3060, GPU manufacturers need to push more and more RAM anyway. 8GB on a GPU isn't much future proofing. 3060Ti is the better buy for MadVR but you have to want to spend that extra.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th November 2021 at 00:53.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 01:00   #62247  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Don't have a choice with 3060, GPU manufacturers need to push more and more RAM anyway. 8GB on a GPU isn't much future proofing. 3060Ti is the better buy for MadVR but you have to want to spend that extra.
There was a lot to consider (including availability and my current power supply and case size etc.)

I just want to push the new card to its limits in terms of video quality.
Old 6th November 2021, 01:29   #62248  |  Link
ryrynz

Nobody with a 3090 is being hassled about having 24GB New higher end cards will ALWAYS have more RAM than you will need short term and that's entirely the point of it, along with the fact GPU RAM is tied to bus width so you get weird configs like a 3060 with 12GB and a 3070 with 8GB as long as you have a product that does what you need and want that's all that matters, spend your money however you want.

Last edited by ryrynz; 6th November 2021 at 01:36.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 11:43   #62249  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
The 4GB VRAM was definitely a problem for me while trying to tone map and have chroma and luma upscaling. I was absolutely hitting the limit on the card - and had to back off buffered frames etc just to free up enough VRAM
which has zero effect on image quality Vram is not important.

Quote:
There was a lot to consider (including availability and my current power supply and case size etc.)

I just want to push the new card to its limits in terms of video quality.
the PSU power is pretty much a myth created by nvidia by breaking the PCIe spec by accidant but a lot even good 800 watt PSU shut down not because it can't deliver enough power no because it will shut down because nothing should ever ask for so much power over 8 pin PCIe connector in such a burst ever.

if you know what you are doing you could use a proper 450 watt PSU with a 3080 and a normal 65 watt CPU with no issues at all
Old 6th November 2021, 14:57   #62250  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
which has zero effect on image quality Vram is not important.
So, what should I be focused on for quality?
Old 6th November 2021, 15:37   #62251  |  Link
huhn

in terms of GPUs? general processing power and at best tested for madVR.

for madVR scaler quality and calibration. spending more processing power does not mean you will gain more image quality.

with your new card you pretty much gained the option to use good tone mapping settings for 60 Hz sources.
Old 6th November 2021, 15:41   #62252  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
with your new card you pretty much gained the option to use good tone mapping settings for 60 Hz sources.
What tone mapping settings are 'good'? Right now I only have highlight recovery enabled (set to high).
Old 6th November 2021, 16:04   #62253  |  Link
huhn

well no one knows. there are very big disagreements if you have trouble setting them your self ask some that actually uses tone mapping for there settings. you will get a lot of different answers.
Old 6th November 2021, 16:29   #62254  |  Link
ashlar42

Considering we're seeing more and more Envy exclusive features, I would really appreciate madshi stating clearly how he sees the future for madVR PC. And no, "you can guess it yourself" it's not an answer that works for me, not for the caring and kind person that I've always seen madshi to be.

I appreciate he has a company to run, obligations, everything. But a clear statement is really needed at this point. At least IMHO.

I would be willing to pay a yearly fee for updates to madVR PC (and I loath software as a service but I understand that continued development requires resources).

Edit: I'm fully aware I'm not entitled to anything. Don't take this message this way. Just the way I feel.

Last edited by ashlar42; 6th November 2021 at 16:54.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2021, 17:31   #62255  |  Link
SamuriHL

There's no need to guess. For at least the very near term, which is likely measured in years, the focus for madshi is going to be on improving Envy and building out an exclusive customer base. They are not alone in the market they're playing in, and given the high cost of entry they are focused right now on consumers who are quite frankly not in the HTPC space. The sort of "gentlemen's agreement" as it were that madshi has given to the madvr community is that where it makes sense in improving the Envy lineup, madvr will continue to get updates in beta form. At the moment this is in the tone mapping space as it is used to improve tone mapping on Envy. But when he's focused on Envy specific features such as the newly released non-linear stretch, madvr will be sidelined. That's just the reality of the business model. This is unlikely to change any time soon. While you can expect to see new betas when they expire (hopefully), I wouldn't hold out hope for much to change in each release except where it helps to improve Envy.
Old 6th November 2021, 17:52   #62256  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
While you can expect to see new betas when they expire (hopefully), I wouldn't hold out hope for much to change in each release except where it helps to improve Envy.
I have an old beta 113 - and it has never given me any issue in terms of 'expiring'. When did betas start to expire?
Old 6th November 2021, 18:15   #62257  |  Link
SamuriHL

114 lol
Old 7th November 2021, 04:40   #62258  |  Link
LordX2

If not exact settings - how about a movie or scene that is good to use as a test scene? Something I should look for in particular in the scene etc etc?
Old 7th November 2021, 04:57   #62259  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's a complex topic. It depends on your goal. For testing hdr there are a myriad of scenes that can stress test your settings. A lot of us use the spears and munsil uhd as it's pretty comprehensive with a lot of good scenes. Some people use horribly mastered discs to see if madvr can clean them up in tone mapping. The Meg is notorious as is mad max fury road. The real trick when playing with hdr tone mapping is to use scenes you are extremely familiar with. High nit scenes will test tone mapping in extreme situations. The reason we line the sm uhd is it has the scenes mastered in different nit levels so you can compare high nit versions again lower nit versions that require less tone mapping.

None of this is science. It's more finding what looks good to you. And tweaking the hell out of it til you're satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Old 7th November 2021, 05:01   #62260  |  Link
SamuriHL

P.s. I see you've also posted on avs forum. That thread isn't the right place for asking those types of questions. This thread is good for that and there's another thread on avs for technical questions like that. The thread you posted in is about testing the betas. It's a long thread but if you want to learn how to test madvr that's a good place to start reading.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling