Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th September 2018, 14:50   #52481  |  Link
Sunset1982

thx for the new build madshi!

Quote:
* added true GPU mode info (color format, bitdepth & dynamic range) to OSD (Nvidia only)
Is this only supported by the nvidia sdk? Not possible with amd?
Old 19th September 2018, 14:50   #52482  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Since you've not quoted anyone, it's not clear who or what you're talking to/about. Also the grammar of your post is quite weird. What does "Render queue is longer filling up" mean? And what does "it" refer to in your post?

There's a reason why I've recommend using Windows 8.1 for years now. I'm recommending against Windows 10 every single time, but it seems nobody is listening to me.
8.1 is too old now mate and getting the free upgrade to win10 made a lot of sense for a lot of people for lots of reasons.

if most people are now on Win10 wouldnt it be better to start concentrating on win10 dev and trying to find workarounds for the win10 issues, people just arent going to be able to go back to 8.1 and probably wont want to.
Old 19th September 2018, 15:04   #52483  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Screenshot of your OSD?
There you go.

Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:05   #52484  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
8.1 is too old now mate and getting the free upgrade to win10 made a lot of sense for a lot of people for lots of reasons.

if most people are now on Win10 wouldnt it be better to start concentrating on win10 dev and trying to find workarounds for the win10 issues, people just arent going to be able to go back to 8.1 and probably wont want to.
I would stick to win 8.1, win 10 is a mess.
Old 19th September 2018, 15:07   #52485  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
There's a reason why I've recommend using Windows 8.1 for years now. I'm recommending against Windows 10 every single time, but it seems nobody is listening to me.
you are not alone on this!
to bad i'm a gamer.

and it doesn't matter if it is "old". it does so much stuff better than windows 10 when you run a HTPC. there will be thing it is worse at but right now i can't point out a single thing windows 8.1 is interior to windows 10 when madVR is your focus.

you can not simply workaround the broken things in windows 10. you will not workaround the utterly broken desktop composition.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:10   #52486  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
you are not alone on this!
to bad i'm a gamer.

and it doesn't matter if it is "old". it does so much stuff better than windows 10 when you run a HTPC. there will be thing it is worse at but right now i can't point out a single thing windows 8.1 is interior to windows 10 when madVR is your focus.

you can not simply workaround the broken things in windows 10. you will not workaround the utterly broken desktop composition.
Excellent post, huhn!
Old 19th September 2018, 15:24   #52487  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
I had this exact same problem with my RX460, however this was fixed on 18.3.4, could be they've broken it again.

The thing is I replaced my RX460 with an RX 580 recently so if they have broken it, they may have just broke it on the RX460, all recent driver versions have worked for me, I am currently on 18.8.1

Remove the drivers completely using DDU and reinstall again using 18.3.4, if that works then try 18.8.1.

EDIT - double check again MADVR is set to 10bit, DIRECT3D11 is ticked as well, but also turn on HDR in windows just to see if HDR is triggering at all, but remember to turn it off again as this should always be off.

One other thing that has caused an issue for me is refresh rates, make sure you are playing the video in 23,976, there isnt enough bandwidth for 10bit 60hz 4k playback.
thank you for the tips, i've checked dozen times, and see that when i change drivers I always use ddu and also i don't change anything else in madvr, the only 2018 driver that is working is 18.2.1
At the moment the only thing that make me use madvr is the support for HDR + 10bit. I use also htpc to play some games with the family, the day that i need to update drivers for a game and hdr became broken...... probably I'll go to other kind of devices to play hdr videos.... i can't struggle so much for a thing that i'm not totally convinced that is completly a driver issue, do you know if there are video players that support HDR nativetly , without the need of madvr ?
thank you
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:27   #52488  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Please not this Win10 vs Win8 discussion again !! There are no drivers lower than Win10 for my hardware so I would welcome improvements but would understand if Madshi don't want to do that.

Now that the most work on HDR seem to be done - any chance that you might look into the SD-files green screen now ?
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:28   #52489  |  Link
mclingo

hmm, i'm tempted to drop back to 8.1, i'm not a gamer, I need to have a think about this, rebuilding my HTPC server is a big job, what am I really going to gain / lose here?
Old 19th September 2018, 15:31   #52490  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@ Madshi,

madVR v0.92.15 released
* added "report BT.2020 to display" calibration option

Wow - ticked, and select BT2020 with a gamma of 2.40 and my SUHD set Color Space to Auto = heaven!!

Thanks for making Madvr something I could never be without - simply an amazing build.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 19th September 2018 at 15:45.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:31   #52491  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
thank you for the tips, i've checked dozen times, and see that when i change drivers I always use ddu and also i don't change anything else in madvr, the only 2018 driver that is working is 18.2.1
At the moment the only thing that make me use madvr is the support for HDR + 10bit. I use also htpc to play some games with the family, the day that i need to update drivers for a game and hdr became broken...... probably I'll go to other kind of devices to play hdr videos.... i can't struggle so much for a thing that i'm not totally convinced that is completly a driver issue, do you know if there are video players that support HDR nativetly , without the need of madvr ?
thank you
no native players i'm aware of apart from window FILMS & TV but I think you still may need to turn HDR off and on manually. You could just scrap HDR and use SDR conversion in MADVR or MPC-BE.

EDIT - you havent said yet whether HDR is turning on at all, assume it does when you flick the switch in windows?

EDIT - can you post your MADVR OSD?

Last edited by mclingo; 19th September 2018 at 15:35.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:35   #52492  |  Link
Warner306

Thanks for the update, madshi.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:38   #52493  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
got an odd problem i've been putting off for a long time, i dont use MPC-HC much but i'd like to have this fixed. i've logged it on the MPC-HC forum but as it also MADVR related i'm logging here too because i'm more likely to get a response and some help here. I cant get MADVR working at all with refresh rates of 23,976, any resolution, MPC-HC loads but just sits with a black screen. I cant even get MADVR OSD control+j so MADVR cant even be loading. I've done a full wipe of both MPC-HC and MADVR and no joy, just using standard settings that have always worked. Its working fine with MPC-BE and KODI-DS. I've also tried several versions of MPC-HC, i'm not really sure what else to try here, anyone have any ideas?
I've had issues where MPC-HC will load a file and sit at a black screen. It seems to have something to do with the network. If you play the file locally, it will probably work. If you browse to the file in File Explorer in the network folder and select "Open with...", it will likely also work. If you play it from DSPlayer or MPC-HC, it probably won't work. I'm not sure what the problem is or how to fix it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 15:44   #52494  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I've had issues where MPC-HC ....
All my files are local, my server is also my HTPC, they all play fine at 60hz, just wont play at 23hz, feels like a drive issue but all other players work fine.

it stopped working a few weeks back, may have been the same time I upgraded to the RX580 but I dont think it was.

I might try a quick build of 8.1 over the weekend, just worried about the driver situation going forward though, my kit is quite old though so it should be ok.
Old 19th September 2018, 16:14   #52495  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Is this only supported by the nvidia sdk? Not possible with amd?
It's only possible by talking directly to GPU specific APIs. I've not checked yet if it's possible with AMD. Maybe.

Quote:
Why do you think both my development PC and HTPC are running Windows 10, although I consider Windows 8.1 to be superior (at least for an HTPC) in many ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
There you go.
Hmmmm... It's supposed to be listed in the first line. Are you sure your update to v0.92.15 really worked? And your PC is a normal desktop PC, and not some Optimus ugliness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
any chance that you might look into the SD-files green screen now ?
What SD-files green screen?

Quote:
hmm, i'm tempted to drop back to 8.1, i'm not a gamer, I need to have a think about this, rebuilding my HTPC server is a big job, what am I really going to gain / lose here?
You'll gain:

1) more stability
2) properly working FSE mode
3) no more worry about forced Windows updates
4) no worry about Windows updates breaking stuff every couple of months
5) world peace

You'll lose:

1) a bugfix for 23.976Hz vs 24.000Hz and 59.940Hz vs 60.000Hz display mode switching
2) 10bit support for windowed mode
3) headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Wow - ticked, and select BT2020 with a gamma of 2.40 and my SUHD set Color Space to Auto = heaven!!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:22   #52496  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Hmmmm... It's supposed to be listed in the first line. Are you sure your update to v0.92.15 really worked? And your PC is a normal desktop PC, and not some Optimus ugliness?
Yes, desktop PC, updated to 0.92.15, reset to default settings, same result.
Old 19th September 2018, 16:22   #52497  |  Link
mclingo

[QUOTE=madshi;

You'll lose:

1) a bugfix for 23.976Hz vs 24.000Hz and 59.940Hz vs 60.000Hz display mode switching
2) 10bit support for windowed mode
3) headaches

[/QUOTE]

Yup, i'm still tempted but..

which of these are relevant to AMD cards, all of them?
Old 19th September 2018, 16:37   #52498  |  Link
mogli

Quote:
Since you've not quoted anyone, it's not clear who or what you're talking to/about. Also the grammar of your post is quite weird. What does "Render queue is longer filling up" mean? And what does "it" refer to in your post?
It means that starting with v0.92.15 the render queue always stays low at about half the given number of presented frames in advance (only tried windowed mode). Consequently the present queue does stay low, too. Before this version they were always full. So either latest madVR needs immensely more GPU processing power without the stats reflecting so or there's something wrong. Resetting to default doesn't help, i.e. it isn't related to my personal settings.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 16:46   #52499  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
no native players i'm aware of apart from window FILMS & TV but I think you still may need to turn HDR off and on manually. You could just scrap HDR and use SDR conversion in MADVR or MPC-BE.

EDIT - you havent said yet whether HDR is turning on at all, assume it does when you flick the switch in windows?

EDIT - can you post your MADVR OSD?
the hdr switch seems always working with all drivers, when i switch ot on i see the tv changing in hdr mode (tv is firing the hdr osd message), for the screenshot i need to go home and update drivers, take the screen and downgrade drivers..... not sure if the the family is not using htpc when i'll arrive at home.

thank you as usual
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 17:15   #52500  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Anyone reckon we can use max settings on a 2080ti?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling