Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 1st June 2018, 18:45   #27381  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Well, 1280x720 16:9 progressive 50 fps is a legal BD format
Not for the image sizes under discussion.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 22:14   #27382  |  Link
jdobbs

@musiclover

Well at least I know why you are getting the error with "Assume PAL for DVD output" set. BD-RB was improperly using ConvertFPS(). In that instance is should have been using ChangeFPS() so frames would be dropped.
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:06   #27383  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@musiclover

Well at least I know why you are getting the error with "Assume PAL for DVD output" set. BD-RB was improperly using ConvertFPS(). In that instance is should have been using ChangeFPS() so frames would be dropped.
And shouldn't the same go for when "Assume PAL for DVD output" is NOT set?
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:57   #27384  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
And shouldn't the same go for when "Assume PAL for DVD output" is NOT set?
That is a different problem -- especially why it keeps it at 50fps. I just haven't looked at that yet.
Old 2nd June 2018, 22:04   #27385  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
That is a different problem -- especially why it keeps it at 50fps. I just haven't looked at that yet.
There is no hurry. Thanks for the quick respons.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 05:53   #27386  |  Link
Blurayhd

Dear Jdobbs please dont get me wrong with this I need to ask you and my English is not perfect but as you know Im doing my best. The other day I need to make a backup copy of one of my Bd50 Bluray movies so, BD rebuilder show me an error and I have to use a third program (I writing that correct?) DVDfab with GPU encode movie and that program do the job in almost 40 minutes and the image on my tv 55 was amazing, so because that I so wish to ask you if BD rebuilder could have the GPU encode option IŽll get the same best quality that if I encode with x264? Please Jdobbs if Im breaking any rules please let me know and forget this post I really appreciate Bd rebuilder, I use it and I really hope the next release. I so wish if you can answer me that

Please have a nice day!!
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:30   #27387  |  Link
jdobbs

I'll tell you... you are not getting the same quality from anywhere else that you can get from X264. Also, the generic term "GPU" could mean multiple things as there are more than one kind of GPU.

Now, if I understand correctly, you are asking me to change my Mercedes so it performs more like a Fiat because you tried the Fiat and it was good enough for you. Does that sum it up?

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd June 2018 at 14:33.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:51   #27388  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I'll tell you... you are not getting the same quality from anywhere else that you can get from X264. Also, the generic term "GPU" could mean multiple things as there are more than one kind of GPU.

Now, if I understand correctly, you are asking me to change my Mercedes so it performs more like a Fiat because you tried the Fiat and it was good enough for you. Does that sum it up?
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 01:46   #27389  |  Link
MrVideo

I had to re-run a build because I needed to change the background menu image. But, for some reason it now fails:
Code:
BD Master Toolkit experienced an error 4000 (17:16:53)
Create Quick Menu() 00076 4000
During: Building menu structure [1]
Current progress 98.90%

I tried it twice. The reason for that is because I also keep getting Permission errors, which go away with a 2nd run. It would be nice to know why I keep getting permission errors.

UPDATE: BDRB is constantly getting BD Master Toolkit errors.

FOUND THE BUG:

Code:
MENU_ITEMS_PAGE=6
Kinda works. If there are 17 videos, only two menus are created, when there should have been 3 (6, 6, 5)
Code:
MENU_ITEMS_PAGE=4,3,2
Fails with the BD Master Toolkit error. There are 9 videos in the case, If I set it for 5/page, then it works.

I'm pretty sure that I've done a comma separated list before, but it was on the XP-64 box. This is on the Win7-64 box.

BUG UPDATE:

I wanted to look at the menus for the run that only created 2 with 17 items. But, the overall size was too large for the media, so I re-ran it with one less video (16 total) and it created 3 menus.

I've been testing all morning and it is hit-n-miss. Sometimes the comma separated page list works and sometimes it doesn't. I've not found a pattern. Need more info in the log as to why it is failing. I'm hoping that it isn't my W7 that is the issue.

It just might be. I copied all of the files for one of the discs to the XP-64 box and it ran to completion.

Last edited by MrVideo; 4th June 2018 at 14:35. Reason: Update
Old 4th June 2018, 15:14   #27390  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:

I have to agree, I'm very happy with your "Mercedes" as it is.. don't change it!

I've tried other apps to back up my blurays... but I keep using BD-Rebuilder... the others use "GPU acceleration" like Cuda or QuickSync, etc.. so while they are much faster (especially if I've already ripped the bluray to my hard drive)... their resulting video quality isn't as good.

For example, one other tool I can convert a 2D Movie Only MKV in 15 minutes or less from hard drive, where as BD-RB it takes about an hour. No matter what settings I use, while it make take a little longer, the MKV produced by BD-RB always looks better, so the wait is worth it!

If you ever feel the desire to add "GPU", please make it an option, so we can select/deselect it...
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 15:48   #27391  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
@musiclover

Would it perhaps make sense to make an interlaced DVD out of the 1280x720 50fps progressive source, instead of dropping every 2nd frame?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2018, 17:32   #27392  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Would it perhaps make sense to make an interlaced DVD out of the 1280x720 50fps progressive source, instead of dropping every 2nd frame?
You'd essentially be doing the same thing -- as you'd have to drop every even or odd line of alternating frames during encoding if you made it interlaced. Personally I'd rather have a 25fps progressive souce than an interlaced one.
Old 4th June 2018, 20:28   #27393  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
You'd essentially be doing the same thing -- as you'd have to drop every even or odd line of alternating frames during encoding if you made it interlaced. Personally I'd rather have a 25fps progressive souce than an interlaced one.
Yes, but I was thinking of preserving the temporal resolution for high motion scenes. The bobbing deinterlacers of TVs are pretty good these days.
A matter of the source and personal preference, probably.
Old 5th June 2018, 00:10   #27394  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Yes, but I was thinking of preserving the temporal resolution for high motion scenes. The bobbing deinterlacers of TVs are pretty good these days.
But, you will lose the temporal resolution when the two fields are joined into one. You have to display the interlaced video as interlaced in order to keep it. But, no TV does interlaced these days.
Old 5th June 2018, 02:07   #27395  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:

Jdobbs you are amazing buddy I so appreciate your sense of humor, you make me laugh and I never change your Bd rebuilder, like I said I had to use that other program with GPU mode because and error and because that my question.

Bd rebuilder is the only think that I really trust on quality terms and if you can tell when you spect to relese next release?

PS: could you add the option to extract the audio/subtitle files so I dont need other program else? I mean, I so wish to use Bd rebuilder for all

Last edited by Blurayhd; 5th June 2018 at 02:09.
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 05:02   #27396  |  Link
Jake802

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
I will! Thanks!
Jake802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 06:45   #27397  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
But, you will lose the temporal resolution when the two fields are joined into one. You have to display the interlaced video as interlaced in order to keep it. But, no TV does interlaced these days.
The monitors are progressive, yes, but the TV or player will deinterlace (bob-deinterlace) interlaced content (broadcasted or from DVD or BD) without just throwing one field away and loosing the temporal resolution. How it is exactly done depends on the (smart) playback device.
Many TV station broadcast HD at 1080i, means interlaced, and the TV takes care of smart deinterlacing and playing it back at double rate (or even higher) without disregarding the temporal information which is available in the source.
So if the temporal resolution is available in a source, one might be interested in preserving it (at the cost of spatial resolution in motion scenes), which would eventually mean encoding as interlaced in the case of DVD.
Just a thought, not a request for BD-RB, as there are pros and cons.

Last edited by Sharc; 5th June 2018 at 06:47.
Old 6th June 2018, 00:34   #27398  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
The monitors are progressive, yes, but the TV or player will deinterlace (bob-deinterlace) interlaced content (broadcasted or from DVD or BD) without just throwing one field away and loosing the temporal resolution. How it is exactly done depends on the (smart) playback device.
I didn't say it would throw a field away. The two fields are combined into a single frame, reducing the temporal info in half.
Quote:
Many TV station broadcast HD at 1080i, means interlaced, and the TV takes care of smart deinterlacing and playing it back at double rate (or even higher) without disregarding the temporal information which is available in the source.
Not many, but all broadcast TV, in the states anyway, is 720p or 1080i. No 1080p. It depends on the TV. those that do not do 60, 120, or more, will do as I mentioned, and combine the two fields into a single frame.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:38   #27399  |  Link
MrVideo

I've run into an issue of text vertical placement. I only have two lines that I want to place starting at 950, but BDRB refuses to place the text there. Instead it is placed around 200. Is there a lower limit?
Old 6th June 2018, 13:54   #27400  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I've run into an issue of text vertical placement. I only have two lines that I want to place starting at 950, but BDRB refuses to place the text there. Instead it is placed around 200. Is there a lower limit?
Are you talking about menu text? If so, look at the MENU_HORIZONTAL, MENU_VERTICAL, and MENU_TOP hidden options. There is an upper limit of 910 on MENU_VERTICAL and MENU_TOP, I'm guessing that's your issue? If you go above that it defaults to 200.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th June 2018 at 13:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote