Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th June 2019, 04:41   #81  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
And fact is, if is insecure now, then was always insecure.
What an odd way to look at it. While it is true, there is theoretically insecure in the past and then there is being actively exploited today. A vulnerability is a bit more problematic once someone is actively exploiting it.

Win98 ran fine for me, with no issues for years, until a widespread exploit was used by malware that could infect a fresh Win98 install that was connected to the internet in under 10 minutes. After that I remember new installs getting infected before they could download updates so we had to keep them offline until we could patch them.

The fact that it was insecure in the past without causing any issues does not mean that patching the vulnerability is unimportant in the present.
Old 11th June 2019, 13:38   #82  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

XP, still does have the very occasional XP update, and updates for CPP runtimes and .NET + other non specific XP stuff. (I occasionally down updates via WSus Offline Updater [v9.24 I think latest XP]),
I however always have problems with the CPP runtimes not installing properley (usually 2010, sometimes 2008 - some kind of conflict), so I update using All-In-One updater, or use the old XP ver$ AIO which deletes
runtimes before install, and then uninstall the updated problematic or updated ones and manual install those. [it is possible that the original AIO updater caused some incomatibility problem which it seems able to reverse].

None of my XP machines now go online, excepting for 1 [INet usually disbabled in Device Manager], which is only a sort of emergency option if need Inet access during machine setup or main machine not working for some reason (look up fixes or whatever), other XP's dont have any access whatever. [Even my main Win7 m/c is disconnected from Inet when not in current use].

Quote:
The widely spread scare tactics about lack of security of 'expiring' OSs - obviously initiated by M$
Whilst Asmodian is of course correct, I kinda object if M$ is saying that has suddenly become insecure.

EDIT:
My two Win10 Tablet/Laptop thingies [one x86, one x64] seem now both stuck at 1809 with no 1903 update available. Unfortunately, the mouse now on both m/c's takes at least 10 secs
to activate on right click context menu, sometimes more like 30 seconds, and quite often a window flash and instability as it finally does activate, is bloody infuriating that 1809 has screwed
both my m/c's and is being left deliberately as-is. Only solution I see is to get ISO of 1709 (x86 & x64, the least problematic version in my experience) and go back to that less bloated and
more reliable version. Gonna try one last time to see if update to 1903 is available, then go back.
Will also have to permanenlty fix W10 so that it never attempts to down Featured Updates and so stays on 1709.
Registry hack to stop W10 Featured Updates(only):- https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-blo...-in-windows-10

I still have a 1709 Macrium Relect image of the x86 W10 m/c and I think 1703 for the x64 m/c.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th June 2019 at 14:02.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 14:02   #83  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
My two Win10 Tablet/Laptop thingies [one x86, one x64] seem now both stuck at 1809 with no 1903 update available. Unfortunately, the mouse now on both m/c's takes at least 10 secs
to activate on right click context menu, sometimes more like 30 seconds, and quite often a window flash and instability as it finally does activate, is bloody infuriating that 1809 has screwed
both my m/c's and is being left deliberately as-is. Only solution I see is to get ISO of 1709 (x86 & x64, the least problematic version in my experience) and go back to that less bloated and
more reliable version. Gonna try one last time to see if update to 1903 is available, then go back.
Will also have to permanenlty fix W10 so that it never attempts to down Featured Updates and so stays on 1709.
Registry hack to stop W10 Featured Updates(only):- https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-blo...-in-windows-10

I still have a 1709 Macrium Relect image of the x86 W10 m/c and I think 1703 for the x64 m/c.
What a mess, when I read this I am more than happy that I switched to Linux and never looked back.
All these Windows updates and the need for manual search and installation of software updates were so annoying.

My today update on Manjaro-Linux updated 122 packages (system, kernel and applications), took less than 5 minutes (on a low end pc) and not forced me to reboot the pc afterwards.
Old 12th June 2019, 15:03   #84  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Apparently M$ aint updating machines to 1903 that dont have recent drivers, that would probably include both tablet/laptops (from different manufacturers),
I'm guessin' that they knew that mouse drivers did not work proper from 1809 and decided just to dump them in the crapper. It is possible maybe that I can
roll back to previous version driver, perhaps I'll try. [A mouse is a mouse, what could possibly be so wrong to cause them damn probs].
Mind you, I also read that similar right click delay can be caused by a rogue app store app, I have I think only 1 app store app on both machines,
a bus countdown type thing, maybe I uninstall and see what happens.

On windows 2000 (still my favourite), if you selected a couple of hundred files to delete, click the button and 2 seconds max, all files where gone.
Windows XP same thing, took maybe 30-40 seconds to do same thing.
W7, starts deleting and says calculating how long it will take, and finishes the deletes (30,40,50 seconds) whilst still calculating [???].
W10, not sure, think much the same as W7.

W7, copy to USB drive, uses awful system caching thing, and then tells you its got 5 seconds left till finish, 5 minutes later, still got 5 seconds left till done, Progress eh.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 12th June 2019, 15:21   #85  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
What a mess, when I read this I am more than happy that I switched to Linux and never looked back.
All these Windows updates and the need for manual search and installation of software updates were so annoying.

My today update on Manjaro-Linux updated 122 packages (system, kernel and applications), took less than 5 minutes (on a low end pc) and not forced me to reboot the pc afterwards.
I cannot recommend Linux using a 4K/UHD screen because Chrome and Firefox hardware acceleration is not working and very High DPI is broken in all distros except Ubuntu, it's clear to see why Linux is not successful on the desktop.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 15:31   #86  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
very High DPI is broken in all distros except Ubuntu
So that would (I presume) include eg "Cinnamon Mint" as OK, as is Ubuntu based. [I like Cinnamon Mint, comfortable for ex Windows users].

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th June 2019 at 15:33.
Old 12th June 2019, 15:46   #87  |  Link
stax76

All distros I tried had a broken task bar, I think I've tried Cinnamon Mint too, only default Ubuntu with left side taskbar was fine.

Last edited by stax76; 12th June 2019 at 15:49.
Old 12th June 2019, 17:21   #88  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
On windows 2000 (still my favourite), if you selected a couple of hundred files to delete, click the button and 2 seconds max, all files where gone.
Windows XP same thing, took maybe 30-40 seconds to do same thing.
W7, starts deleting and says calculating how long it will take, and finishes the deletes (30,40,50 seconds) whilst still calculating [???].
W10, not sure, think much the same as W7.
The slow deleting has nothing to do with the OS version. Get a proper file manager if you want to get things done quickly. How can anyone (who is aware that there are better alternatives) use that horrid Explorer thing?

Last edited by Groucho2004; 12th June 2019 at 17:58.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2019, 17:36   #89  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, you are right. Still got loads of file managers, but went back to earlier image recently, still setting up stuff.
Recently got Lazarus with Free Pascal (Delphi like) lang, think both TotalCommander and DoubleCommander compiled with it.
from earlier post in this thread.
Quote:
Double Commander:- https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/
Open Source, very active development (Object Pascal).
Cross Platform, Install and Portable, x86,x64.
Compatible to Total Commander plugins. Double Commander Plugins available(some with source):- https://github.com/doublecmd/doublecmd/wiki/Plugins
Dont like default fonts, but easily changeable.
Lazarus looks really quite good and capable RAD system, gotta get into that someday. [cross platform]
EDIT: I remember LigH mentioning Lazarus some years ago, maybe he's the Pascal/Delphi expert around here.

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th June 2019 at 17:41.
Old 12th June 2019, 17:47   #90  |  Link
Groucho2004

I went through a few FMs over the years. My first one was Norton Commander in the early 90's which made working on DOS a bit more convenient.

Later on Windows NT4 I tried Total Commander but it's still too 'Windozy' for my taste.

In case you're interested, I have been using this for the last 20+ years.
Old 12th June 2019, 17:58   #91  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yep, I grabbed a copy of Far Commander last time you posted on it (a few pages back).
Kinda like Linux Midnight Commander(mc) I think.

Old 12th June 2019, 21:53   #92  |  Link
stax76

I wonder why you guys still use Windows if you think Microsoft is a bad company? I'm pretty satisfied with most MS products.
Old 12th June 2019, 22:07   #93  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I wonder why you guys still use Windows if you think Microsoft is a bad company?
Various reasons.
I need Windows for (just off of the top of my head, there are more):
  • Work
  • Programming
  • Video stuff (Avisynth, ...)
  • Photoshop & Adobe Camera Raw
  • SpectraPlus Spectrum analyser
Old 12th June 2019, 22:11   #94  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I cannot recommend Linux using a 4K/UHD screen because Chrome and Firefox hardware acceleration is not working and very High DPI is broken in all distros except Ubuntu
Yeah HiDPI support might not enabled out of the box for most distros. In Cinnamon its just one setting to enable and almost everything is scaled well.
Exception are some applications based on older gui-toolkits such as GTK2 or QT4. These toolkits have no scaling support integrated because of their age.

Quote:
it's clear to see why Linux is not successful on the desktop
I wouldn't say that this is THE reason. I think most people are a bit scared when they start a desktop Linux for the first time, because many things are very different compared to windows.
It is quite a bit of work getting used to the Linux workflow and theres much to learn, and not everyone is willing to learn so many new things (or have the time to do so).
Personally I was so annoyed by windows that I just wanted to leave this stuff behind me and switched over to Linux, regardless of its imperfection on desktop.
But I have used Linux already a few years on a low end pc, so I had some experience already.
Old 12th June 2019, 22:28   #95  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Yeah HiDPI support might not enabled out of the box for most distros. In Cinnamon its just one setting to enable and almost everything is scaled well.
I found those settings, enabled them, but they were working only partly, the task bar wasn't scaled.

On Linux you have to like the command line, it took me 15 years to finally like it, there are many reasons why I changed my mind, mpv and powershell are some of them.
Old 12th June 2019, 23:12   #96  |  Link
ChaosKing

I whish wine for "apps" would be as good as Proton (dxvk -> DirectX to Vulkan translation layer) is now for Windows games on linux. Would probably switch then completely.

Last edited by ChaosKing; 12th June 2019 at 23:15.
ChaosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 12:19   #97  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
I wouldn't say that this is THE reason. I think most people are a bit scared when they start a desktop Linux for the first time, because many things are very different compared to windows.
There's also the fact that, sometimes, things just won't work. I spent god knows how long trying to set up a stable VNC connection to my main desktop on Linux, but it just wouldn't stay up and no-one could tell me why. Then there was (the equivalent of) Cleartype - all the settings were in there, but it just didn't work until I'd followed some arcane set of instructions and installed numerous additional packages.

Linux can be fine under a specific set of requirements, but on Windows you'll never have the frustration of Firefox suddenly failing to load - with no error message - after an update because of a particular Nvidia driver you happen to have installed.

Then there's Dropbox. Google, for their own reasons, recently declared it would no longer work on Linux unless you had an ext4 filesystem, leaving anyone without one to jump through ridiculously complicated hoops if they wanted to keep Dropbox running.

Hardcore Linux users seem to regard these problems as part of the fun, but none of them should be surprised that your average power user is going to stick with Windows.
Old 13th June 2019, 18:33   #98  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Wonkey [EDIT: quick rename from that which once was] , what did you decide on regarding VNC ?

In the past (I aint got it set up currently), I've used TightVNC on WXP (least problematic that I've found on Wnn, together with dfMirage [some kind of window manager with compression),
and on Linux TigerVNC [apparently by same guys as TightVNC], never had much [if any] in the way of problems with that setup.

Old 13th June 2019, 18:43   #99  |  Link
jones1913
random user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
There's also the fact that, sometimes, things just won't work. I spent god knows how long trying to set up a stable VNC connection to my main desktop on Linux, but it just wouldn't stay up and no-one could tell me why. Then there was (the equivalent of) Cleartype - all the settings were in there, but it just didn't work until I'd followed some arcane set of instructions and installed numerous additional packages.

Linux can be fine under a specific set of requirements, but on Windows you'll never have the frustration of Firefox suddenly failing to load - with no error message - after an update because of a particular Nvidia driver you happen to have installed.

Then there's Dropbox. Google, for their own reasons, recently declared it would no longer work on Linux unless you had an ext4 filesystem, leaving anyone without one to jump through ridiculously complicated hoops if they wanted to keep Dropbox running.

Hardcore Linux users seem to regard these problems as part of the fun, but none of them should be surprised that your average power user is going to stick with Windows.
I remember, it can also happen in Windows sometimes, that things just wont work . No system is perfect neither Linux nor Windows.
It was not my intention here to pretend Linux is always better than Windows. Everyone can use what works best for him.
Old 13th June 2019, 20:18   #100  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I remember, it can also happen in Windows sometimes, that things just wont work . No system is perfect neither Linux nor Windows.
It was not my intention here to pretend Linux is always better than Windows. Everyone can use what works best for him.
This is true but I don't remember something significant in Windows or Android, I've only one issue atm. and that is the file open dialog, for instance in mpv.net I use Open > Open File the file open dialog has a tiny size, I have to enlarge it every time before I can use the navigation side bar, it happens with many apps/circumstances but not all, it's quite annoying but not annoying enough that I really want to investigate it, there are some automation scripting apps I don't remember the name (autoit? auto hotkey?) which might be able to fix it (such apps can cause new issues though), maybe I investigate it next time I'm bored.

Musical inspiration for letting go Win 7 in favor of Win 10 (6,50€ at eBay), MacOS or Linux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0Y...Q&index=8&t=0s

What I've started to do is trying not to use or develop anything non portable so in a couple of years I might be able to migrate to Linux or at least use it for some months for educational purpose.

Last edited by stax76; 13th June 2019 at 20:41.