Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 23rd October 2018, 02:32   #1  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

SORTED :) Windows After XP Sux big time.

All A.O.K now, thanx all

Having recently 'upgraded' to W7, I'm trying to get to grips with the W7 weirdness, probably due to permissions and UAC.

I was wondering if there has been some tutorial posted on-site for taming said 7.

Manolito posted this some time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Because Windows did indeed improve up to XP (with the exception of the Millennium version which came out after Win98SE). After WinXP everything went downhill. Win8 and Win8.1 was a joke (at least for users without touchscreens), and Win10 is an absolute nightmare for me. Leaves Win7 which is not too bad, but only after tweaking dozens of things to make it resemble XP. This includes turning off this stupid UAC, tame this whole permissions thing, disable Virtual Store (I want to know where my files REALLY are stored). Also getting rid of the built-in ZIP support, installing Classic Startup Menu, make Windows use the DS source filters which I have installed instead of the crappy MS filters, and some more...

After applying all these tweaks I can live with Win7. But MS is actively working to put Win7 into the position WinXP is in now. Just read that their upcoming Office 2019 will need Win10. Once they succeed in making Win7 unusable I will certainly say goodbye to MS. I hope that ReactOS will be ready by then...
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...03#post1832703

One weird prob I'm having is when I right click avs file and load into VDub2, on pressing VD2 avs script editor F7 (save and refresh) key, it just stops responding altogether. Also, in MeGUI, it simply hangs before showing the Aspect Ratio preview window.
(above with VD2 and MeGUI x86, have not as yet even tried x64 where I anticipate even more problems).

I currently have Classic Shell installed (which fixes that god awful Windows Explorer jumping about thing when you click on a folder). Unfortunately the explorer is still bloody awful in comparison to the XP edition. It is hard to believe that W7 Windows Explorer has survived so long without its bugs and peculiarities being squashed.

ReactOS is due to be released at v5.0 (end of this month) finally with NTFS read and write (currently read only, but hack in registry to get write to work).
Also, Libre Office is getting quite good now, who needs MS Orifice 2019. (Last for XP v5.4.7.2)

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Offsite page on disabling Virtual Store:- https://interworks.com/blog/dsmith/2...virtual-store/

EDIT: Where Manolito refuses to use any plugs that will not run on a PIII, I will not use plugs that will not run under XP
(as I still use XP on multiple machines, at least P4).

EDIT: I run as an administrator, and would prefer to keep UAC if possible to tame it.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th October 2020 at 16:08.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:39   #2  |  Link
manolito

For taming Win7 UAC there is a software called TweakUAC. There also is a software called "CacheMan" which has an option to tame UAC. I tried both, but my conclusion was to disable UAC altogether. I do not need to be babysitted and protected from myself, at least not by M$.

For the Win7 start menu I use the older Classic Shell v. 3.5.0. It provides a lot of options to tweak the Explorer appearance, works for me. But basically I try to avoid Win Explorer, I use Total Commander instead.

One essential thing for Win7 is to have a utility available to grab permissions for files and folders by right-clicking a file or folder in Explorer. I use an older REG script (which unfortunately is language dependant so I won't post it here). And since users can screw up their Win7 installation pretty bad by using such a tool it is also essential to have the "acl_repair_utility_for_vista_7.zip" readily available.

To make the DirectShow Filters usable under Win7 there is the Filter Tweaker Tool by CLSID. I chose the more radical approach to disable the Preferred Filters in the Registry altogether. Delete the content of these keys:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred (obviously, x64 OS only)
Of course you need to grab the permissions first. After this Win7 will behave exactly like WinXP when it comes to DirectShow Filters. Whatever filter has been installed last will get the highest merit.

For us retro XP users (and even more retro using Non-SSE2 CPUs) I started an ever growing list of the latest software versions which do still work under XP and/or Non-SSE2. This includes Google Chrome, VLC Player, X264, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, LAVFilters, MKVToolnix, FFmpeg, AVIDemux, MakeMKV, MP4Tools and some others...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 23rd October 2018 at 05:03.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:17   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

This is very timely for me. My main computer is dual boot, with two separate drives, and the "other" boot drive was Vista, which I upgraded to Win7 about five years ago.

However, like StainlessS, I find Win7's Explorer just plain awful. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll take the time to fix Win7 so I don't have to work around all the incredibly stupid changes that were made, for no reason, and with no improvement.

Not once have I ever used Win7 and then, when I returned to XP, found myself saying, "I really miss that [name a feature] in Win7."

I've had to fix computers that have Win10 installed and that O/S is so bad that if I am ever forced to use it, I'll either switch to Mac, or simply use Linux.

I look forward to any additional hints people might have for how to make the Win7 UI work as efficiently as XP. I still can't believe how badly they broke the basic file search capability that was in Windows since Win 3.0 was introduce in May of 1990.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:31   #4  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

OOOOoooo, already some good stuff posted, plenty for me to explore in the morn (well, its 06:28 now so maybe a bit later today).
Thanx guys

Quote:
I still can't believe how badly they broke the basic file search capability that was in Windows since Win 3.0 was introduce in May of 1990.
So its not just me that thinks search is now totally crap
[EDIT: I thought that RaffRiff posted some self written search tool on-site, but maybe was someone else].

EDIT: I'm sure that someone recently posted that Windows 7 was the best ever M$ OS, wonder what he/she/it was smoking.

EDIT: I until recently used the old trusty XOSL boot manager, unfortunately it now fails to work for some reason
(I generalized the W7 install and got rid of the System Partition),
Got it multibooting (with only single OS so far, ie W7 on Partition 2) using Plop! BootManager, would maybe prefer some other
but 1TB boot drive has only 27 sectors per track (rather than eg 63 needed for GAG boot controller).
Got several more boot controllers to try, not looking good so far (I so miss XOSL already, it was lovely).
EDIT: It is important for me that the boot controller be totally independent of any OS, as I like to be able to image
an OS and swap and change whenever I want without any horse poop.

Time for bed said Florence, Boing said Zebedee.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd October 2018 at 08:02.
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:54   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I currently have Classic Shell installed (which fixes that god awful Windows Explorer jumping about thing when you click on a folder). Unfortunately the explorer is still bloody awful in comparison to the XP edition. It is hard to believe that W7 Windows Explorer has survived so long without its bugs and peculiarities being squashed.
Try an alternative file manager. The free version of xplorer2 is much better.
https://www.freewarefiles.com/Xplore...am_111070.html

It's dual-pane, each pane can have multiple tabs like a browser, and each pane can have it's columns configured individually. It can be configured to startup in it's previous state, but I prefer to disable that and create several tabs open to often used locations and save the configuration so it always starts up that way.

A file manager without dual panes is soooooo frustrating. It also has a feature which I think might be similar to the breadcumbs annoyance of Explorer, only it works better. Each tab shows the full path and it's clickable. Left click takes you to the location in the path you clicked on. Right click gives you a list of all the subfolders for that location.

Best as I can tell, the free version only comes in a 32 bit flavour, but I think the only limitation there is it can't be configured to replace Explorer on 64 bit Windows. Not that it matters. I've always used it separately and it still incorporates Explorer's context menus.
It also appears the latest version (I haven't used it yet) has a ribbon interface, but you can switch to the classic menu bar.

There's a tree view similar to Explorer's but I don't use it much so I have it hidden as I'm still using a 4:3 monitor.

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd October 2018 at 10:05.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:30   #6  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

@StainlessS and others
If you hate windows 7 (the best windows version in my opinion so far) then you will love windows 10 aka SpyingService10 .
BTW. It is funny that you managed to hibernate yourself so long on that outdated NT5.1 OS.

Your beloved ReactOS still is only a NT5.x clone. You won't be able to run many apps compiled for NT6.x
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 12:59   #7  |  Link
Seedmanc

Funny, while I learned to like W7 (after all I switched to it some 5-7 years ago and didn't really reinstall it since), and I'd never go back, I can understand OP because i'm having the same feelings now about W10 and how terrible it is compared to W7. Though mine might be caused by the fact that I have a very old W10 version and it might have gotten better since. But updates are cancer and bring destruction, so I avoid them, fortunately it's not my primary OS.
But that essentially means it's not a matter of a windows version but merely of breaking habits and switching from a well-tuned OS installation, molded after your own usage patterns to a new one that'll require a comparable amount of work to achieve a usable state. Something similar should happen when reinstalling the current OS from scratch as well, hence I'm not doing it at all. Besides there's the proper SSD support and that's important if you want to manage large videofiles.
Can't really comment on React other than it being a meme OS.

Somehow I've never heard of Virtual Store and it never bothered me in all these years. Looking at the folder now, it's empty. Maybe it was disabled in my bundle.
Not sure why'd you use Virtual Dub's editor instead of AvspMod, I dropped VDubMod's editor the moment I learned about the specialized one.

Any particular problems with the default ZIP handler other than it not displaying image thumbs? I use Pismo File Mounter when I need to access archive contents without extraction. I'd also recommend installing the Link Shell Extention to manage NTFS capabilities from inside the explorer.
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 14:43   #8  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
One weird prob I'm having is when I right click avs file and load into VDub2, on pressing VD2 avs script editor F7 (save and refresh) key, it just stops responding altogether. Also, in MeGUI, it simply hangs before showing the Aspect Ratio preview window.
(above with VD2 and MeGUI x86, have not as yet even tried x64 where I anticipate even more problems).
This looks more like a machine fail rather than a problem with the OS because I couldn't reproduce your issue on my win7 and I doubt that anyone would to able to.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 18:15   #9  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
This looks more like a machine fail rather than a problem with the OS because I couldn't reproduce your issue on my win7 and I doubt that anyone would to able to.
^This or the whole meltdown / bytecode fix. On older systems the bytecode has slowed down systems.
Revan654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:58   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I guess that I should really read up on W7, I hate reading since my eyes got dodgy.
Is one supposed to install everything with "Run As Administrator", even when one is an Administrator ?

Think I'm gonna go back to base image (just generalized [bcd made to run from current drive rather than specific drive], and updated
via WSuS OffLine, and a few basic settings, got my beloved Windows 95 Red Tiles set up as background (I find it restful on the eyes), and also dumped all of that pinned to taskbar stuff and replaced with QuickLaunch bar, switched off taskbar button grouping + other stuff incl Windows Classic [not that awful XP Classic]).

Incidentally, I use netspeedmonitor v2.5.4 by Florian Gilles, there seems to be later versions, dont know why I use the older version, maybe just for XP,
I even use it on Windows 10 Tablet/Laptop, but have to install in compatibility mode, works fine. The thing I like about it is it sits on taskbar and gives a simple
text readout of up and down speed for Mobile Wifi, I dont usually bother tracking other stuff. Also can track volume usage, but I switch that off.

I dont find W10 that bad apart from the horrid update habits, I've learnt that there aint no point in trying to do anything when its busy updating,
but I only have W10 on tablet/laptop and would I think find it totally disagreeable if I had in on desktop.

I'll have to try out Total Commander again, some time since I used that, except on Android. Xplorer2 I already have, and quite liked.
I use Classic Shell v4.3.1, I used it on Vista (which I only booted up about a dozen times after config, XP upgrade @ £160.00 down the toilet, and felt
like a right toolbag having fell for that con trick, M$ is yet to be forgiven).

ReactOS, is looking to include part of the ShortHorn project stuff which implements Vista API's, dont know if will be included in next release in a few days.
Last install was about 100MB, so somewhat smaller that the bloat it is to replace, think I'll install for real the next offering, see if it runs Avisynth OK or not.

EDIT: Linux Cinnamon Mint is a real nice and easy path into Linux, not too disorienting for the Windows user,
but gonna take a look at both LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and Gentoo as well, which is a source based distro,
everything is optimised for your particular system. (also uses the old system init stuff [forgot what its called] so
is similar to Android which also uses it).

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd October 2018 at 20:08.
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:45   #11  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Windows 7 extended support ends January 14, 2020. You should have gone straight to Windows 10. Also, don't bother trying to turn every OS into Windows XP, it'll just make it worse and you'll never be satisfied because it's not the same. Accept the differences, get used to it and move on.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:13   #12  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Windows 7 extended support ends January 14, 202
Guess I'll have it for the next half dozen years or so, then Linux and ReactOS will be the norm, M$ is destined to come a cropper,
seem to have lost the plot a bit.

I guess the only reason that I dont find W10 too bad is that I only really use it to wander around the internet when in pub.
I'm a lot more forgiving after a dozen or two beers.

Old 23rd October 2018, 21:49   #13  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Windows 10 Pro is fine these days. It works. It certainly had no shortage of sorta broken things at launch but you should never be an early adopter of operating systems anyway (but then again you shouldn't refuse to upgrade for over a decade either). Also, the general consensus is that Microsoft has gotten a lot better over the last few years, to the point they've basically swapped places with Google in the public perception. Google is now the giant soulless all-encompassing monopoly full of douchebros, while Microsoft is embracing open source and making their products cross-platform. At least half the developers I know are now using Visual Studio Code on MacOS X. The times they are a-changin'.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 22:12   #14  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I ain't tried W10 Pro, just got Home Premium (think that's how its described), I preferred 1709 which was the first version I tried,
dont like the way it seems to be exploding in size (I only got 32GB MMC storage, and is currently occupying about 12GB or maybe a bit more,
was considerably smaller when I got the machine). Dont know what takes the space, above size is after deleting all of the old version windows stuff
and also some secret (hidden) folders, I believe its gets quite a bit smaller if doing a clean install (maybe bout 4GB smaller).
Feel sorry for those with 16GB lite systems, which have a bad time where update screws up due to lack of space and leaves m/c in useless condition,
where clean reinstall is only option.

I dont see M$ as any kind of saints but have to agree with the public perception change, Google are scarily omnipotent,
I dont like latest Android versions either, gonna try take my Moto G and Sony Xperia Z2 back to KitKat when I get around to it
(at least the SD card **** up is fixable in KitKat).

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd October 2018 at 22:16.
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:36   #15  |  Link
johnmeyer

BTW, StainlessS, I assume you know about the update that forces Win7 to upgrade itself to Win10, without your consent. Several years ago I had two grown men call me, crying, because they could no longer figure out how to get anything done because their computer had upgraded itself to Win10.

Upgrades you do NOT want to install, in order to keep Win7 include:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3123862

This may be less of an issue, now that Win10 is not a free upgrade, but a couple of years ago, this was a huge issue.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 23rd October 2018 at 23:37. Reason: added last sentence
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:41   #16  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

I can second all what Manolito, hello_hello and johnmeyer found.
Going the similar route since I was forced to use Win7 because of newer hardware.
After first purchase it took me more than 8 weeks to go from cursing and not believing my eyes
to finally obtaining a more, now beautifully responsive Win7, looking like Win2000,
handling long lost, old, simple and beautiful software together with the recent stuff without locking me out.
And besides, 5 XP systems still perform beautifully here for those tasks that need XP
(e.g. NikonScan, which will never see an update because the scanners are not produced anymore, now worth a fortune.
VCD, SVCD, rarely needed, but hey: never compiled to work on anything past XP,
Refillable Printers, which will never see any update because manufacturer wants to see them dead.
some tailored measurement software which will never be updated beyond XP.)

On one of my used replacement laptops poor previous owner had traded his Vista64 for W10.
He must have been so discouraged then that he sold quickly for very cheap.
For me it came in as a nuisance which lasted 5 days, then I got rid of that.

Classic Shell, Total Commander, getting back Quick Launch and many more tweaks...
It is possible to tailor W7, but definitely wasn't a quick task for me.
In the end I took over almost all ownership, then permissions from "System" until I locked "System" out too much.

So welcome to the club, StainlessS and many thanks for your continued work to make ends meet !

Last edited by Emulgator; 23rd October 2018 at 23:49.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 03:13   #17  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I have Linux as my main OS (Fedora), but I do have virtual machines with Windows.
The first one is a clone-disk of my old Windows XP (I've been using it since 2002 and I moved it from hardware to hardware 'till now).
I use XP for pretty much everything, including Avisynth, and it has all the updates, a modified kernel and it's PAE aware (which means that can use up to 64GB of RAM, even though I have 32GB only and I assigned it 10 GB).
The second VM is a clean Windows Server 2019 install with the "latest and greatest" version of Visual Studio that I use to code.
For all the other things, I just use Linux, which is great... even though it does have some issues popping up every now and then and I report them to Red Hat (but that's the price to pay for not paying for RHEL and using its beta - Fedora -).
I do think that XP can be useful 'till April 2019, when the support will end.

Last edited by FranceBB; 24th October 2018 at 03:16.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 04:02   #18  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
And besides, 5 XP systems still perform beautifully here for those tasks that need XP
(e.g. NikonScan, which will never see an update because the scanners are not produced anymore, now worth a fortune.
VCD, SVCD, rarely needed, but hey: never compiled to work on anything past XP, ...
This is OT, but if you still do a lot of scanning with your Nikon scanner, Ed Hammrick's Vuescan is infinitely better than Nikonscan and, if you have a big project, it will let you batch scan.

I've put about 20,000 slides, color negatives, and B&W negatives through my Nikon film scanners over the past 15 years and couldn't have done it without Vuescan.

BTW, I also got the batch slide loader attachment. This lets me scan 30+ slides at a time, without having to do anything.
Old 24th October 2018, 05:21   #19  |  Link
manolito

One nasty Win7 64-bit bug I forgot to mention:

If you transfer large files using the native Explorer Copy routines to an external USB3 drive (formatted with NTFS), you may get corrupted files. There will be no error message, you might only notice the corruption much later when the original files are no longer available.

https://superuser.com/questions/6855...al-hard-drives

Microsoft knows about this error, but they flatly refused to fix it. The only workaround is to NOT use the native file copy routines. Use TeraCopy or Total Commander or any other file copy software which uses its own copy routines.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 24th October 2018 at 17:54.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2018, 10:25   #20  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Mani, I saw no mention of problems with specifically USB3.0, only USB 2.0 (in a link to MS site via your link), bit scary and seemingly still no resolution.

Anyways, not a surprise that NTSC produces problems, it is after all known as "Never Twice the Same Color", and makes for a lousy file system.

From the MS link (longish single page thread):- https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=w7itproperf
On TeraCopy
Quote:
I also experienced the problem with Teracopy, when I enabled an option which is off by default: "use system write cache".
So suggests keep default switched OFF Bolded Teracopy option, otherwise same problem as in native copy.

EDIT: I downed Teracopy v3.2.6 from home site, seems that there is a v3.3 beta knocking about, did not see that on home site, suggest avoid.
I also downed TotalCommander 32 bit, as 64 bit was pinpointed in MS linked thread as more likely source of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I have Linux as my main OS (Fedora), but I do have virtual machines with Windows.
The first one is a clone-disk of my old Windows XP (I've been using it since 2002 and I moved it from hardware to hardware 'till now).
I use XP for pretty much everything, including Avisynth, and it has all the updates, a modified kernel and it's PAE aware (which means that can use up to 64GB of RAM, even though I have 32GB only and I assigned it 10 GB).
Would above suggest that your XP is 32 bit with PAE and also maybe Service pack 2 (or was it 1), I thought XP32 originally supported PAE
but supposedly because of possible bad drivers, M$ revoked PAE support. Perhaps you kept it at SP2(or 1) and just applied updates after that without the specific SP3 service pack (and without whatever quick fix that voided PAE). [Also, if above true, how do you avoid upsetting those programs that demand SP3+, simple reg hack perhaps]

EDIT: Just noticed that W7 is blocking downloaded files, Right click on properties and see
"Security: This files came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer",
will have to stop that,
Code:
Run
    GPEdit.MSC
        User Configuration
            Administrative Templates
                Windows components
                    Attachment Manager
                        Do not Preserve Zone information in file attachments    Enabled     # Stop file blocking

Last edited by StainlessS; 24th October 2018 at 11:26.