Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 11th January 2019, 18:54   #61  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Bugged KB4480960 & KB4480970 W7 updates,
There is a fix available for the W7 broken network shares thing here:- https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/09/wi...etwork-issues/

Bugged KB971033 ,
Google links for KMS No longer Genuine Windows 7 feature:- https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...iz.3HncGQi-ZRs

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 19:44   #62  |  Link
johnmeyer

I've got at least a dozen computers. I have no anti-virus software, and I have updates turned off for everything, most especially Windows. When I find I need an update for Windows, I get that specific KB and install it.

The beauty of this system is that if my computer worked yesterday, it will work just the same today, and tomorrow (barring hardware failure).

I have the C: drive partitioned separately, and after eleven years on this XP computer (still my mainstay), with almost 100 programs installed, that partition is only 13.6 GB. I can back that up in under five minutes, so I back up frequently. If I ever were to get a virus or malware (hasn't happened yet), I could restore the partition in under ten minutes. I know this works because while the bad guys have never screwed up my system, and bad updates have never wrecked it, I manage to do this destruction just fine all on my own, and on a regular basis (well, once or twice a year).

So, especially now that all these "mature" programs and O/S are maintained by junior programmers who have no clue about UI, tight code, bugs, etc., I keep on trucking with the stuff that actually works and, by doing this, am actually able to get a lot of work done, instead of spending every waking hour in the care and feeding of the beast.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 20:22   #63  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

There are several Kiosk type softwares (every time it boots, is exactly the same as previous time, all modifications rolled back each time [unless made permanent by some means]).
M$ has one called SteadyState [freeware, XP32 amd Vista - Not W7+] ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_SteadyState), I have it but never as yet tried it.
At least one third party alternative Deep Freeze [trialware] ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_(software) ), I'm sure that there are probably other alternatives.

A decent Firewall is always a pretty good idea, even if you dont use an anti-virus.

EDIT: SteadyState is no longer available, since 2010, but probably available somewhere, (I still got it).

Also, Reboot Restore Rx [freeware]:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_Restore_Rx

and ToolWiz Time Machine :- http://www.toolwiz.com/lead/toolwiz_time_freeze/

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th January 2019 at 20:40.
Old 11th January 2019, 22:13   #64  |  Link
manolito

I do agree with johnmeyer, I also got rid of all resident antivirus software (except for Threadfire which is purely based on behavior). My XP partition has never been reinstalled since XP entered the scene, it has lots and lots of software on it, and it's size is still below 10 GB.

Getting security updates even after the MS support ended looked like a good idea, so I installed the POSReady registry hack. It did work until early 2018, after this I got problems with some of my installed software, it was even impossible to reinstall it, so I disabled all updates for WinXP at this point.

As an experiment I attempted a fresh install of WinXP (of course after backing up my old installation). And I was really surprised about how much faster this fresh installation felt. Looks like all these accumulated security updates really slowed down my computer a lot.

For WinXP this case is closed for me, I am not sure how to proceed with Win7. Should I stop updating it even while MS is still providing security updates? The quality of MS updates has certainly deteriorated considerably after the company changed their philosophy and removed a lot of man power and expertise from their OS department. Confused...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 12:53   #65  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Dear Confused,

I habitually re-install XP every 3 to 6 months, (multiple systems from ghost images), I like to keep a virgin setup image with new admin user config type stuff, eg default Red Tiles Wallpaper (From Windows 95 originally maybe),
disable ThumbNails, Show files extension and details, switch off all fancy animated translucent blue menus (appear immediately instead of allowing you to appreciate their majestic sliding effect), ie get rid
of all of the crap. Disable Admin & guest accounts, install SysAdmin tools from server 2003, maybe setup some stuff in GPEdit.msc (Group Policy, eg switch off System Restore & File Indexing),
delete temp files, defrag registry and hard drive, then make ghost Image.

Stage 2, add all recent drivers, + install current updates via Wsus Offline Update (LigH is a main man for that stuff), add some stuff like 7zip, Acrobat Reader + quite a few imperatives.
delete temp files, Defrag harddrive again, and image.

Stage 3, add all changeable apps eg Avisynth, Visual Studio, codecs, + much more (incl system updates via Wsus Offline). Delete temp files, defrag and image.

I usually then just go back and use the Stage 3 image, and update with eg current Avisynth, etc, and re-image (after maybe Wsus offline updates, defrag).

Every now and again, go back and update Stage 2, and also Stage 3 images with any updated apps, eg 7zip, java etc, delete temp files, defrag and re-image.
Also, keep note of any addition imperative apps that you have added/updated, so they can be re-installed to the various stage images.

Updates are occasionally added even now for XP (usually only for windows global stuff, eg DotNet or VS CPP runtimes, rather than XP specific).

Have currently got similar setup for W7 (with an additional total virgin stage 0, I dont have setup ISO for W7, was pre-installed).

Re-installing one of the images takes only a few minutes (except for final stage with Visual Studio etc, takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes with about 10 or 12GB high compressed size).

Methinks one of the slow down reasons for an old instalation is maybe the many superceded hotfixes leaving crap behind, re-target image every 3 to 6 months always feels pretty good to me.

EDIT: Delete TEMP files, & Defrag of hard drive is good idea pre ghosting image (for NTFS, dont matter for FAT32 as both FAT's are created on the fly on image targetting & result is that of being defragged).

EDIT: For both XP and W7, I like to have WinPatrol installed (I actually use an old version from 2012, 24.6), keeps me informed of rubbish added to the Run on startup registry
and Startup folders, also can disable them, eg Java Update, or Acrobat update + many more that starts up rubbish on boot.

EDIT: For W10, I now use Macrium Reflect Free Ed, for imaging, pretty nifty and runs fine from USB. (real good idea to image before W10 major update)

Last edited by StainlessS; 12th January 2019 at 13:38.
Old 15th January 2019, 11:40   #66  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
I've got at least a dozen computers. I have no anti-virus software, and I have updates turned off for everything, most especially Windows. When I find I need an update for Windows, I get that specific KB and install it.

The beauty of this system is that if my computer worked yesterday, it will work just the same today, and tomorrow (barring hardware failure).

I have the C: drive partitioned separately, and after eleven years on this XP computer (still my mainstay), with almost 100 programs installed, that partition is only 13.6 GB. I can back that up in under five minutes, so I back up frequently. If I ever were to get a virus or malware (hasn't happened yet), I could restore the partition in under ten minutes. I know this works because while the bad guys have never screwed up my system, and bad updates have never wrecked it, I manage to do this destruction just fine all on my own, and on a regular basis (well, once or twice a year).

So, especially now that all these "mature" programs and O/S are maintained by junior programmers who have no clue about UI, tight code, bugs, etc., I keep on trucking with the stuff that actually works and, by doing this, am actually able to get a lot of work done, instead of spending every waking hour in the care and feeding of the beast.
Agreed with every single word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
For WinXP this case is closed for me, I am not sure how to proceed with Win7. Should I stop updating it even while MS is still providing security updates? The quality of MS updates has certainly deteriorated considerably after the company changed their philosophy and removed a lot of man power and expertise from their OS department. Confused...
Give Win10 LTSB (!) 1607 a chance ...
Old 15th January 2019, 13:21   #67  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Chros,
I liked 1709 best of the ones since then (1st new updated version since I got it, and where I used Macrium Reflect to do 1st image), is 1607 a better bet, you tried both ?

I believe I can get (download) the original ISO (hopefully is early one and not current).

Old 16th January 2019, 13:54   #68  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
is 1607 a better bet, you tried both ?
I've only tried 1607.
Old 16th January 2019, 15:51   #69  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx for your answer.
Good idea to image 1607, maybe give others a try and revert if you dont like. (I think I preferred 1709 to previous one, but since then gotten somewhat more gigantic in size).

Quote:
I believe I can get (download) the original ISO (hopefully is early one and not current).
Actually I did download the ISO, but the x64 one, and Ive got an x86 EFI so would not install (x64 processor, Atom Z3735F, Linx 1010B):- https://www.google.com/search?source...31.K2v0Oj2GFsc
Guess I'll havta down the 32 bit one soon (just incase they surplant it with current version W10 image).

EDIT: Keep note of all serial number etc if you do go for reinstall, and defo use Macrium Reflect first.
EDIT: Also, I found that trying to resize partitions caused W10 to be Non authorized version, where I reverted via Macrium, maybe could have just tried to authorize again.

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th January 2019 at 15:56.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:21   #70  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Actually I did download the ISO
Do you have a public url for it? Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 11:58   #71  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Do you have a public url for it?
This is easy to remember, google "windows 10 media creation tool":- https://www.google.com/search?source...31.JX8ENiPa0p8

EDIT: I believe I saw somewhere in W7 OS a link for similar Media Creation tool for W7, guess I need to get that too (somehwere in the control panel/programs & features merry-go-round, I think).

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th January 2019 at 13:00.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:31   #72  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
If I ever were to get a virus or malware (hasn't happened yet)
That you know of...
Old 17th January 2019, 12:49   #73  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

About 15 years ago, was talking to a woman who told me that she had been having toubles with her OS [severe slowdown], she got a friend to look at it with Anti-virus s/w, and it showed that she had ~4,500 viruses,
no wonder it had slowed down the OS a tad.

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th January 2019 at 13:02.
Old 17th January 2019, 13:39   #74  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
About 15 years ago, was talking to a woman who told me that she had been having toubles with her OS [severe slowdown], she got a friend to look at it with Anti-virus s/w, and it showed that she had ~4,500 viruses
That's because there's no driver's license required to operate a computer.
Old 17th January 2019, 13:56   #75  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
That's because there's no driver's license required to operate a computer.
Well not required, but there is a driver's license for driving a computer [my mother has one, and I aint no spring chicken]

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.VUuphHDjd0o

http://ecdl.org/

And W7 Media Creation thing:- https://www.google.com/search?source.......1..gws-wiz.

Last edited by StainlessS; 17th January 2019 at 14:00.
Old 19th May 2019, 18:26   #76  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Just came across this link to update Windows 7 for DirectX 11.0 to DirectX 11.1(Installs Platform Update for Windows 7 which was not installed on my system which is only updated via WSus Offline update)
Platform Update for Windows 7:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...m699rnfxcs6d00

How to Download and Install DirectX on LifeWire:- https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-down...irectx-2624489

Have DirectX 11 won't play games, says I need DirectX 9.0c :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...Replies&page=1

DirectX 9c (June 2010) [several versions of DirectX 9.c, date IS relevant, June 2010 was latest, x86 & x64 in single package]:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=34429

Last edited by StainlessS; 19th May 2019 at 18:32.
Old 10th June 2019, 04:44   #77  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Here are some of the workarounds that I've used when forced to put up with Vistaspawn:

1) Install Classic Shell and set as much stuff as possible to the way things worked in Win 9x

2) If you're in Vista or Win7, a "Classic" theme should be available in your list of themes. This has no functional purpose but will enhance the old-school feel. The Classic theme is not available for Win8 or Win10; you'll have to modify the start button, taskbar color, taskbar opacity, etc. manually to make them look normal.

3) Set taskbar icons to small. This will reduce the taskbar size from double-thickness to normal thickness.

4) Whenever installing a program, remove "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" from the installation path. Alternatively, you can disable UAC, then seize ownership of those two folders according to the instructions presented here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...m-files-folder this will allow you to edit any file in either of these folders.

5) If you want a certain program to always appear on the "open with..." menu when right-clicking on a file, and Windows is giving you a hard time, you can force certain file type associations in Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". There used to be a way to give these associations custom names, like "OpEn iN dGiNdEx yOu wHoRe" or "I have some Notepadding to do!", back when Folder Options had a File Types tab; if anyone can tell me if this is still possible, I'd be grateful.

6) certain problems require restarts to fix, but Win8 and Win10 have this funny thing where all they really do is log you out and then log you back in when you tell them to reboot. This makes those problems harder to fix. You can disable this in Power Options, or in the Classic Shell settings.

7) There's nothing you can do about the lack of support for using animated gifs as wallpapers. Sorry.

8) Downloading or saving directly to C:\ can be re-enabled by lowering the UAC slider to its lowest level

9) When you go to "Sort By...", your normal options might be replaced with ones that you don't want. For example, if a folder has a lot of WAV files in it, Windows will stupidly assume that the folder is for music, and will replace your normal options with Name, #, Title, Contributing Artists, and Album. To fix this, right-click on the folder, select Properties, go to the Customize tab, and set "Optimize this folder for..." to "General". You can also apply this automatically to all sub-folders.

10) If you want to run a 16-bit Windows program in a 64-bit version of windows, you'll need something like Win3mu.

I wish I had figured this crap out a decade ago. It would have saved me a LOT of headaches, a lot of bitching about how much Vista/7/8/10 suck, and a lot of time invested into figuring out how to keep using XP for as long as possible. I've finally, FINALLY gotten Win7 to a state that's about 80% acceptable (I'm still butthurt about the animated wallpapers) and now we're losing Win7 next year. *gives double middle fingers to Microshaft*

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 10th June 2019 at 20:53.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 12:35   #78  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
I've finally, FINALLY gotten Win7 to a state that's about 80% acceptable (I'm still butthurt about the animated wallpapers) and now we're losing Win7 next year. *gives double middle fingers to Microshaft*
Pretty much the same here (80% sounds about right) although I could not care less about the wallpaper thing, I prefer bland, boring backgrounds. They're less distracting.

As for 'losing' W7 - I'll probably keep using it either until I die or switch to a non-M$ OS. The widely spread scare tactics about lack of security of 'expiring' OSs - obviously initiated by M$ so they can sell their new products and echoed by paranoid and dim-witted internet parrots in blogs and forums - don't bother me at all. I have SP1, 4 or 5 post-SP1 security updates and a properly configured firewall. That suits me just fine.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 10th June 2019 at 14:54.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 13:06   #79  |  Link
manolito

Amen...
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 14:46   #80  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
The widely spread scare tactics about lack of security of 'expiring' OSs
And fact is, if is insecure now, then was always insecure.