Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 2nd June 2014, 21:38   #521  |  Link
GCRaistlin

How do I make XySubFilter visible in system tray? I have added it to MPC-HC's External filters list, choose "Prefer" (as I did for VSFilter before) but XySubFilter icon doesn't appear in system tray when I open a video file.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:48   #522  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
How do I make XySubFilter visible in system tray?
Disable option "Hide Tray Icon" in the XySubFilter settings...
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:51   #523  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Disable option "Hide Tray Icon" in the XySubFilter settings...
It isn't enabled.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:01   #524  |  Link
Telion

XySubFilter must be fully registered in the system to show its tray icon.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 23:55   #525  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
XySubFilter must be fully registered in the system to show its tray icon.
This was a temporary ffdshow raw video filter problem. It prevented "lower" filters from loading for some unknown reason. Now all is OK.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 3rd June 2014, 00:03   #526  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Hm. If XySubFilter is set to "Load when needed", the issue is here: not only XuSubFilter doesn't load but video isn't showed at all (the MPC-HC window looks like an audio file is played). If XySubFilter is set to "Always load", all works fine.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 3rd June 2014, 01:42   #527  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

@GCRaistlin, from what you've said so far, I can't really say what is causing your issue.
  • First try uninstalling FFDShow entirely. Does the problem occur?
  • If not, install the latest ffdshow build if you needed it, and disable all the checkboxes in the FFDSHow subtitle section for good measure.
  • Update MPC-HC to the latest nightly build. Reset to defaults. "'Miscellaneous" -> "Setting Management" -> "Reset". Ensure that "Playback" -> "Use built-in subtitle renderer" is disabled. Do not add any 'External Filters'.
  • Uninstall XySubFilter. Restore Defaults with the reg file found here.
  • Test to ensure you have no problems without XySubFilter installed.
  • Install XySubFilter r697 with the bat file. (DLLRegisterServer in XySubFilter.dll succeeded)
  • If the problem still occurs, you'll need to provide some more details about the filters being used and how this can be reproduced.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 08:30   #528  |  Link
GCRaistlin

cyberbeing, it seemed to be a local issue. First the video wasn't showed by XySubFilter's "Load when needed", then VSFilter was loading even not being present in External Filters list. Fixed by reboot.

Where do I read about features on More tab? I interest in settings that allows to show subtitles on the lower black bar while watching 2,35:1 movie on 16:9 monitor.

Quote:
Update MPC-HC to the latest nightly build. Reset to defaults. "'Miscellaneous" -> "Setting Management" -> "Reset". Ensure that "Playback" -> "Use built-in subtitle renderer" is disabled.
We aren't really able to disable "Use built-in subtitle renderer" after resetting settings until we change video renderer from default VMR7 windowed to something else (like VMR9 renderless).

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 4th June 2014, 18:08   #529  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Where do I read about features on More tab? I interest in settings that allows to show subtitles on the lower black bar while watching 2,35:1 movie on 16:9 monitor.
We seem to get asked about this frequently. XySubFilter already supports this, but the subtitle consumers (VMR9, EVR-CP, madVR) currently do not. It's on madshi's to-do list to add support for this in madVR. For VMR9/EVR-CP, someone would need to open a feature request with MPC-HC.

Quote:
We aren't really able to disable "Use built-in subtitle renderer" after resetting settings until we change video renderer from default VMR7 windowed to something else (like VMR9 renderless).
If the default renderer is VMR7 windowed, then you must be running Windows XP? Then yes, you would need to change to a compatible renderer like VMR9, EVR-CP, or madVR for XySubFilter to be used. Disabling the "Use built-in subtitle renderer" checkbox should always be possible though, since it is a global setting.
Old 4th June 2014, 19:50   #530  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Disabling the "Use built-in subtitle renderer" checkbox should always be possible though, since it is a global setting.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 4th June 2014, 19:55   #531  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
XySubFilter already supports this, but the subtitle consumers (VMR9, EVR-CP, madVR) currently do not.
OK, but nevertheless what about the guide for "More" tab? Is there any settings there that should be changed to get the maximum quality for 1920:1080 resolution?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 4th June 2014, 22:11   #532  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Hmm, well I guess I'll need to keep that in mind when giving step by steps for XP users. Though when that checkbox is grayed out, XySubFilter cannot be used either.

Quote:
OK, but nevertheless what about the guide for "More" tab? Is there any settings there that should be changed to get the maximum quality for 1920:1080 resolution?
The defaults are already set for maximum quality.

Cache settings generally should not be touched. Setting them higher or lower can hurt performance and stability.

Subpixel Positioning option of "8x8 vsfilter 2.39 default" is the highest quality setting. "8x8 bilinear" has similar accuracy and may be slightly faster, but can introduce uneven blurring with multiple lines. Lower settings like 4x4, 2x2, None, will make animations severely stutter.

Render Layout Options:
Use Original Video Size = Scale to output resolution with appearance matching VSFilter.dll.

Use AR Adjusted Video Size = Scale to output resolution with appearance matching VSFilter.dll, but do not strech SSA/ASS subtitles on anamorphic video. (Use this setting if your anamorphic video subtitles were not compensated for VSFilter.dll behavior)

Customize... H: XXXX V: XXXX = Debugging only, not for general use.

Render to Original Video Size = Do not scale. Matches VSFilter.dll behavior of always rendering to video size. Render Layout drop-down box ignored if this option is enabled.

YCbCr Matrix
Auto, Auto = Use Script Value if present
Anything else = Debugging only, not for general use

RGB Level
Auto = Honor the "supportedLevels" value reported by the subtitle consumer
Anything else = Debugging only, not for general use
Old 5th June 2014, 16:12   #533  |  Link
MasterMeNL

Could someone give me the default values for the cache options?
MasterMeNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 19:17   #534  |  Link
Soukyuu

LV4 768
LV3 512
LV2 256
LV1 2.048

Haven't changed them since install, so should be default.
Question: is there any explanation about levels and why the lv1 cache is the biggest and not the lv4 one? Does knowing that even help tweaking the performance on e.g. a weaker CPU?
Old 5th June 2014, 20:04   #535  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I recently came across a sample which had poor performance with the old LV1 cache default of 256. Raising the the LV1 cache size to 2048 improved performance by 50% or so. That was just a single sample though, and I haven't come across any others which see a significant benefit over the old defaults (LV1 256, LV2 256, LV3 512, LV4 512).

On systems with slower CPUs and RAM, setting the caches larger than necessary will hurt overall performance slightly, since hashing and cache queries are not free when you are not generating any cache hits. You can think of the various cache sizes as the number of duplicate/repetitive entries for various elements of a script. In the future we may add a lookahead to make what gets cached more intelligent, but the way they are currently implemented, its possible for the caches to be filled with 'useless' dynamic data. This is why a hard limit on the number of entries is currently necessary.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:43   #536  |  Link
MasterMeNL

Thanks a lot for the default settings and info guys!
MasterMeNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 23:12   #537  |  Link
Sm3n

Hi,

I set up my Border width Style like this: 3.0000 because on 1080p video it was too thin.

Now I pretty happy if this result:
http://i.imgur.com/aMmWTqD.jpg

And if I play a 4:3 video, 3.0000 becomes too much:
http://i.imgur.com/X2m8nUR.jpg

Everytime I have to go back in settings and change 3 to 1. It's a bit boring. I tried to play with Renderer Layout Options but I can't do what I want, so...
Any advice to deal with this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 04:13   #538  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

In the current build there is no way to automatically deal with this. At one point we had an older commit which made an attempt at fixing this, but it didn't function correctly so I reverted it.

Just now, I took another look at it and I think I figured out what was wrong in the older commit. Try [Removed], along with the 'relative output height' setting under 'Styles' set to 1080p.

The removed build contains a major bug which causes display issues with styled ASS subtitles even without overriding styles, unless this feature is set to "original video" (disabled).

Last edited by cyberbeing; 19th February 2015 at 08:32. Reason: removed dl link
Old 13th June 2014, 11:10   #539  |  Link
Sm3n

Thx you so much cyberbeing! You fixed it.
Looks the same on both 1080p and 4:3 now. And seems pretty stable.

Thx for your good work.
Sm3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 11:19   #540  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
If XySubFilter is set to "Load when needed", the issue is here: not only XuSubFilter doesn't load but video isn't showed at all (the MPC-HC window looks like an audio file is played). If XySubFilter is set to "Always load", all works fine.
I have discovered that the issue appears when both VSFilter and XySubFilter are installed, no matter if they're added to MPC-HC's External Filters list or not. Also, VSFilter can be loaded by that even if it's not added to External Filters list.
If VSFilter will be deleted and then installed again the issue won't appear till next reboot. After reboot, the issue will be here again.

Magically yours
Raistlin