Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 30th January 2017, 07:59   #1741  |  Link
Magik Mark

JohnLai,

Can't believe you're still doing GPU encoding. I gave up on that. It could only do so much. Aren't you moving to CPU based? Quality is a lot better and it has more options to tweak
Old 30th January 2017, 11:18   #1742  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
JohnLai,

Can't believe you're still doing GPU encoding. I gave up on that. It could only do so much. Aren't you moving to CPU based? Quality is a lot better and it has more options to tweak
True, but I simply don't have the time to wait......
plus those Intel HEDT or Xeon multi socket stuff costs a bomb for me.
I only earn USD 451.31 (after conversion from my nation currency) per month. ~.~""
Let see if AMD Zen can change everything.

x265 = 1fps with 3570k 4.4ghz....not exactly good idea....
NVENC HEVC = 150 - 180 fps
Intel H264 = 300 - 400fps

As long as hardware encoder quality is 'acceptable'.
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 11:43   #1743  |  Link
Magik Mark

In ebay john there's a lot of used xeon. That's where I got mine
Old 30th January 2017, 12:56   #1744  |  Link
Magik Mark

Is there a way to convert bt2020 to bt709 color matrix? That's 4kuhd to 1080p
Old 30th January 2017, 13:18   #1745  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
In ebay john there's a lot of used xeon. That's where I got mine
Used Xeon still unaffordable for me. ~.~

Quote:
Is there a way to convert bt2020 to bt709 color matrix? That's 4kuhd to 1080p
Note: I never try this before.
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Dither_tool

Dither_convert_yuv_to_rgb
then
Dither_convert_rgb_to_yuv

The string matrix (undefined) for both dither_convert

Convert BT2020 to rgb, then convert rgb to BT709.

Not sure if this one works.
Old 1st February 2017, 09:59   #1746  |  Link
Zetto

@JohnLai, since you appear to be an expert on using nvenc, could you please post a guide of sorts? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate an explanation of different options for nvenc encoding, pluses and minuses. I tried searching for something of the kind to no avail.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 11:02   #1747  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
@JohnLai, since you appear to be an expert on using nvenc, could you please post a guide of sorts? I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate an explanation of different options for nvenc encoding, pluses and minuses. I tried searching for something of the kind to no avail.
All big three hardware encoders info is available from their own published SDKs.

For instance:
Info on Lookahead, Spatial AQ, Temporal AQ, 10bit encoding can be found at Chapter 8 of https://developer.nvidia.com/nvenc-programming-guide

Some info on nvidia two-pass and other rate control:
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc...ncoder-api.pdf

Nvidia NVENC architecture back in kepler day.
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc...o-Encoding.pdf

EDIT: I am still waiting for nvidia new nvenc hardware revision for proper HEVC B-frames. I mean, back in 2015, nvidia said HEVC B-frame support was in their roadmap.....

With Pascal.....nvidia had implemented motion estimation only, SAO, 10bit encode, lossless, new rate control, 8K, AQ
Missing part --> 12bit HEVC encoding and HEVC B-frames.
I wish for b-pyramid support too.......

Last edited by JohnLai; 1st February 2017 at 11:14.
Old 1st February 2017, 16:18   #1748  |  Link
Zetto

I'm not that proficient to wade through those technical documents from nvidia. I'm looking more for a guide in layman's terms, so that anyone could gain at least a basic understanding what nvenc does. Right now I'm just blindly wandering through it, poking at different options with little to no understanding what they really do.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 15:45   #1749  |  Link
Pengaban

I'm wondering why on the latest Stax1.4.0.0 with NVEnc 3.02 I cant find the deinterlace function in Encoder Options?
The info "help.txt" for 3.02 lists the deinterlace function.
Tried to use the commandline "--vpp-deinterlace adaptive" only gives me NVEnc errors.

Is this a known bug? Or did I broke something on my setup?
I'm using 376.06 NV driver on Win7 x64 with a GK106.

With Stax1.3.4.0 with NVEnc 2.04 "--vpp-deinterlace adaptive" works as supposed.

@JohnLai
For me another advantage of GPU(ASIC) encoding over the CPU is power draw. Would be interesting to see how much watt a Xeon CPU eats up in comparison to NVEnc. And switching a GPU takes 10 minutes including Driver Update. In contrast trying to change a motherboard would take hours on the minimum(days are more realistic) and probably needs to clean reinstall the OS also various driver Update sessions and so on. Not talking about the money side. The cheapest current gen NV/AMD encoding GPU 100,-?

Last edited by Pengaban; 10th February 2017 at 16:17.
Pengaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017, 03:52   #1750  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengaban View Post
I'm wondering why on the latest Stax1.4.0.0 with NVEnc 3.02 I cant find the deinterlace function in Encoder Options?
The info "help.txt" for 3.02 lists the deinterlace function.
Tried to use the commandline "--vpp-deinterlace adaptive" only gives me NVEnc errors.

Is this a known bug? Or did I broke something on my setup?
I'm using 376.06 NV driver on Win7 x64 with a GK106.

With Stax1.3.4.0 with NVEnc 2.04 "--vpp-deinterlace adaptive" works as supposed.

@JohnLai
For me another advantage of GPU(ASIC) encoding over the CPU is power draw. Would be interesting to see how much watt a Xeon CPU eats up in comparison to NVEnc. And switching a GPU takes 10 minutes including Driver Update. In contrast trying to change a motherboard would take hours on the minimum(days are more realistic) and probably needs to clean reinstall the OS also various driver Update sessions and so on. Not talking about the money side. The cheapest current gen NV/AMD encoding GPU 100,-?
"--vpp-deinterlace adaptive" option only works IF the decoder is set to use 'avcuvid'. Now here the problem, the video has to be hardware decoded by GPU.

This means if your video is 10bit H264, then --vpp-deinterlace will never work as avcuvid decoder can't decode the video in hardware (Nvidia PureVideo hardware limitation, never see any 10bit H264 hardware decoder in the market).

Old 11th February 2017, 11:23   #1751  |  Link
Pengaban

Thanks for that information!

I must have messed things up here. I used a source.ts that worked in Stax1.3.4.0 with deinterlace adaptive setting.

Now I tried it again in Stax1.4.0.0 with the command line option and it worked as supposed. Sorry, but thanks for the explanation.

So the only question remaining is why the deinterlace setting disappeared from the Encoder Options GUI? This GUI is probably part of Stax?

I noticed when I have source.ts files captures that have a small video bug/disruption in the stream the NVEnc deinterlacer goes mad at the point of the bug and produces bad quality(kind of interlaced) till the end of the stream.
And files produced with deinterlaced adaptive are smaller than files with no deinterlacing done by NVEnc. About 15% or so. And looking better than the bigger interlaced files.
Pengaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 01:29   #1752  |  Link
Yups

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 378.66 WHQL supports Video SDK 8.0.

Quote:
Video SDK 8.0
•High-bit-depth (10/12-bit) decoding (VP9/HEVC)
•OpenGL input surface support for encoder
•Weighted Prediction
•H.264 ME-only mode enhancements
http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Window...ease-notes.pdf
Yups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 14:54   #1753  |  Link
burfadel

When adding a few hundred (yes I know...) files to Staxrip using the file batch add method, at the end after it had completed I got the following message:

Code:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                         Exception
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.
   at System.Drawing.Graphics.FromHdcInternal(IntPtr hdc)
   at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
   at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height()
   at System.Windows.Forms.GroupBoxRenderer.DrawThemedGroupBoxWithText(Graphics g, Rectangle bounds, String groupBoxText, Font font, Color textColor, TextFormatFlags flags, GroupBoxState state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.GroupBoxRenderer.DrawGroupBox(Graphics g, Rectangle bounds, String groupBoxText, Font font, TextFormatFlags flags, GroupBoxState state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.GroupBox.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPrint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPrintClient(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.GroupBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 05:42   #1754  |  Link
Krizzz989

My File Batch is defaulting to avisynth, is there a way to have it use vapoursynth? Thank you
Krizzz989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 14:12   #1755  |  Link
stax76

@burfadel

I would guess staxrip.exe consumed too much memory, it can be caused by either staxrip itself or by avisynth/vapoursynth/plugin.

Take a look in task manager regarding memory, especially while and after using crop and preview dialogs.

Quote:
My File Batch is defaulting to avisynth, is there a way to have it use vapoursynth? Thank you
Yes there is, before you open the files right-click the filters list and choose 'Filter Setup' > VapourSynth from the menu.

Quote:
So the only question remaining is why the deinterlace setting disappeared from the Encoder Options GUI? This GUI is probably part of Stax?
I don't remember it, for missing switches you can make a request here or better at the github issue tracker.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 00:42   #1756  |  Link
Magik Mark

Hey stax,

Is is possible for you to release a new build? A lot of changes are now available especially x265 with new switches
Old 18th February 2017, 01:06   #1757  |  Link
stax76

Hey Mark,

I worked on a new audio player project lately because Media Monkey is hardly usable on my 4K display and I didn't find a good alternative, it means I've even less time for staxrip but still want to do a small update this or next month. I'm much interested in UWP apps lately so made a new simple high resolution flat style icon for StaxRip (black tombstone with RIP label), maybe I also make a simple installer, with the store it's incompatible.
Old 18th February 2017, 01:09   #1758  |  Link
Magik Mark

Looking forward to it stax! Take Care
Old 18th February 2017, 01:54   #1759  |  Link
NikosD

One other useful addition is HW encoding of H.265 for AMD cards that is missing from StaxRip.

VCEEnc is already in v3.05 version with many new options compared to v2.00
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 02:02   #1760  |  Link
stax76

Nicos, I will update x265 and all of rigaya's encoders.