Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 4th June 2014, 11:50   #121  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The problem may be caused by a corrupted PgcEdit config file. Close PgcEdit, go to your Appdata folder and delete or rename the PgcEdit folder. Launch PgcEdit, and see if it works.

Note that you will lose your configuration. If you want to keep it, replace one at a time the files from the original folder to the new Appdata\PgcEdit folder, and verify if PgcEdit works fine. (The problem comes probably from the "pgcedit.cfg" file, but I can't be sure.)

If you don't know how to open the hidden Appdata folder, type %APPDATA% in the search box of your Start menu.

If that doesn't help, launch PgcEdit WITHOUT opening the DVD at startup, then go to File->Open DVD, annd open it from that menu. When it will crash, you'll see an error dialog box with a "Details" button. Click the button, copy the whole message and paste it here.

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th June 2014 at 11:53.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:01   #122  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
I'm using the PgcEdit v9.4b4 (February 20, 2014)
Where did you get this version, and how is it different from official 9.3???
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:06   #123  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I guess it's one of the beta version I gave away to some users to test some new features.
Old 4th June 2014, 20:00   #124  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
The problem may be caused by a corrupted PgcEdit config file. Close PgcEdit, go to your Appdata folder and delete or rename the PgcEdit folder. Launch PgcEdit, and see if it works.

Note that you will lose your configuration. If you want to keep it, replace one at a time the files from the original folder to the new Appdata\PgcEdit folder, and verify if PgcEdit works fine. (The problem comes probably from the "pgcedit.cfg" file, but I can't be sure.)

If you don't know how to open the hidden Appdata folder, type %APPDATA% in the search box of your Start menu.

If that doesn't help, launch PgcEdit WITHOUT opening the DVD at startup, then go to File->Open DVD, annd open it from that menu. When it will crash, you'll see an error dialog box with a "Details" button. Click the button, copy the whole message and paste it here.
I renamed the Appdata\PgcEdit folder then copied the registration file into a new empty PgcEdit folder, then reloaded my VIDEO_TS files to BEFORE the problem and started PgcEdit (after verifying the binary md5 is good). I did my config settings and exited then restarted PgcEdit. When it started the open DVD dialog came up and I selected the VIDEO_TS folder. It thought about it then threw the console window with the same error I described in my previous email.

The only difference between what you told me and what I did is do to me being on winXP so I was in "Documents and Setting\username\Application Data\PgcEdit" for the adjustments.

Any other ideas? I was real careful to triple check that I removed the config files; and refreshed the VIDEO_TS files to the BEFORE the problem level so I'm at a loss about what to try.

THANX
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 10:20   #125  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
When it started the open DVD dialog came up and I selected the VIDEO_TS folder.
[...]
Any other ideas?
I told you. Re-read the last paragraph of my previous reply.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:46   #126  |  Link
colinhunt

r0lZ, hi. I wanted to donate & register PgcEdit. That's still doable, I assume?
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 12:07   #127  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, it's still possible. Use the PayPal button on my homepage.
Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 6th June 2014, 13:50   #128  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Yes, it's still possible. Use the PayPal button on my homepage.
Thanks in advance! :-)
Donation is on its way!

If you're not too busy, could you please take a look at the problem I'm having with subtitles: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170736
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 00:04   #129  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

"Store PgcEdit_backup folder in parent of VIDEO_TS folder" setting

First let me say that every place I've read about DVD structure states that the VIDEO_TS folder contains the video files. I'll call the VIDEO_TS folder name "staying on the path".

Well, I got off the path and renamed the folder to VIDEO_TS.test then used PgcEdit on it and was surprised that the PgcEdit_backup folders were under VIDEO_TS.test even though I had the setting checked for putting them in the parent of VIDEO_TS.

Perhaps I should just stay on the path?! (8>)
Old 7th June 2014, 06:48   #130  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Originally, the backup folders were always stored in the VIDEO_TS folder (or in any directory where VIDEO_TS.IFO and the other IFO, VOB and BUP files reside). But I have added the option to create them in the parent folder, because some badly programmed DVD burner programs burned the whole content of the VIDEO_TS folder, without removing first the illegal files and directories. So, now, if that option is ticked and the DVD files are in a folder named exactly "VIDEO_TS", PgcEdit creates its backup in the parent folder. But it doesn't try to use the parent if the folder has another name, because in that case, it's not a legal DVD structure anyway, and it is the responsibility of the user (or of the DVD burner program) to clean it up and make it compatible with the DVD-Video specs.

I have always recommended to use ImgBurn to burn your DVDs, and it is smart enough to remove the backup folders from the VIDEO_TS folder. (I don't know if it removes them from the parent.) Note also the PgcEdit function File -> Backups -> Delete Backup(s), that you can use if you need to clean up the VIDEO_TS folder yourself. That function removes also the backups created by some other programs such as VobBlanker.
Old 8th June 2014, 00:01   #131  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Error sourcing /Tcl/Work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: extra characters after close-quote () 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42
When I open the VIDEO_TS it starts ok but as soon as I attempt to remove uncalled PGC's or VTS's or run FixVts it throws an ERROR window pop-up and the bottom status line tells me to exit immediately and start up PgcEdit again. When I start it up again and it opens the VIDEO_TS folder it gets into scanning it when it suddenly pops up a Console Window which ends with the message "Error sourcing /Tcl/Work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: extra characters after close-quote () 1 %"

This is a 1962 James Bond movie that MGM made a "Special Edition" DVD of in 2000 so it surprises me that it is being problematic.

Any ideas how I can get around this editing issue would be appreciated?!

THANX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by r0lZ

(edited for brevity)
Launch PgcEdit WITHOUT opening the DVD at startup, then go to File->Open DVD, annd open it from that menu. When it will crash, you'll see an error dialog box with a "Details" button. Click the button, copy the whole message and paste it here.
I sent r0lZ the files he request outside of the view of the forum so he could evaluate the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private reply by r0lZ
(who approved this sharing)

(edited for brevity)
OK, thanks for the files.

I notice this in the menubuttons_new.but file form your PgcEdit_backup folder:
Code:
# PgcEdit Buttons dump file
# Automatically saved by PgcEdit v9.4b4
# DVD: "R:\007_01-DR_NO.r\VIDEO_TS"
# DVD-TEXT General Name: "Dr. No
"
# Provider ID: "PgcEdit 9.4b4"
# Number of VTS: 3
That file is read when PgcEdit loads the DVD so that it doesn't need to rescan the Title VOBs for BOVs every time. But it seems that for any reason, the header of the file is corrupt. It should be:
Code:
# PgcEdit Buttons dump file
# Automatically saved by PgcEdit v9.4b4
# DVD: "R:\007_01-DR_NO.r\VIDEO_TS"
# DVD-TEXT General Name: "Dr. No"
# Provider ID: "PgcEdit 9.4b4"
# Number of VTS: 3
Since, in the original file, the ending quote is located at the start of the next line, the error occurs.

You can delete the two .but files from the PgcEdit_backup folder to force PgcEdit so scan the BOVs again. It should work fine. (You can also fix the files by resetting the quotes where they should be, like in the second example above, but you will probably have to do it each time PgcEdit reloads the DVD.)

There a new line character at the end of the "Dr. No\n" label in the DVD-TEXT general name on the DVD IFO files. I'm almost sure that the problem will be present again when PgcEdit will re-create the .but files.

The DVD-Text General Name is the name of the movie, stored in the DVD-Text table in the IFOs. You need PgcEdit or another IFO Editor to change it. Anyway, afaik, there is no way to enter the new line character with PgcEdit.

+++ FIX +++
To fix the problem, restart PgcEdit (after having deleted the .but files), then use immediately DVD -> Remove DVD-TEXT data (the last option in the DVD menu). Save the DVD and quit PgcEdit. Delete again the .but files and restart PgcEdit. The problem should now be fixed. If you wish, use DVD -> Set DVD-TEXT General Name to restore the "Dr. No" label, but this time without the additional new line character.

Thanks for the bug report.
That brings the forum up to date on what r0lZ was able to find.

In short it appears that Metro Goldyn Mayer (aka MGM) release some DVDs ~2000 that had an authoring issue in 1 or more IFO file(s) for the name of the movie (eg. Dr. No\n, From Russia With Love\n) which PgcEdit sees in a variable it calls "DVD-TEXT General Name" that PgcEdit v9.3 puts into some files it creates in the PgcEdit_backup* folders named menubuttons.but, menubuttons_new.but.

I also noticed the same problem in the files "User comments.upc", "User comments backup.upc" in case they need to be fixed as well.

If you run into this and confirm it in any of those PcgEdit_back* files manually after seeing a crash, apply the +++ FIX +++ (above) for the problem.

I hope I got all of this correct r0lZ. Please feel free to correct any mistake(s).

THANX
Old 8th June 2014, 07:03   #132  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the summary, david42.

To clarify, you must understand what is DVD-TEXT. DVD-TEXT is an optional feature of the DVD-Video. It allows the producers of the DVD to associate text strings to the various parts of the DVD. The "General Name" in the name of the whole DVD. Other strings include the name of the main movie, or of any title PGC, and the names of the chapters. That names are stored in the DVD-TEXT table in VIDEO_TS.IFO. PgcEdit uses only the DVD-TEXT General Name (or, if it is missing, the name of the main movie) to help identify the DVD. So, when PgcEdit has to save a text file to disc (such as the menubuttons.but file), it adds a header with some information about the current DVD, including its General Name. If, like in the Dr. No DVD, the General Name includes a new line character, the line containing the General Name is split in two parts, and an error occurs when PgcEdit tries to read the file. The solution is therefore to remove the new line character from the General Name, or to remove completely the whole DVD-TEXT table. DVD-TEXT is optional and only a few players can display that information. AFAIK, only the DVD players that can hold several DVDs at the same time use the General Name to help the user to select the DVD he wants to watch. (The same players can usually also display the Jacket Picture, stored in the JACKET_P folder of some DVDs.) These players are rare, and removing the DVD-TEXT table should usually not be a problem. Anyway, it is possible to restore the DVD-TEXT General Name with PgcEdit.

The bug is in the DVD, because the General Name should not include new line characters, but I've added a workaround in PgcEdit to remove it when the General Name is used in the header of a file created by PgcEdit. The next version should therefore not hang for that reason any more.

Last edited by r0lZ; 8th June 2014 at 07:05.
Old 11th October 2014, 12:35   #133  |  Link
TheSkiller

Here's a small feature request:

It would be convenient for me if PgcEdit allowed modifying the resolution flag of the IFOs. Currently I have to use IfoEdit to do this which is tedious as I have to modify VIDEO_TS.IFO and all VTS_xx_0.IFOs each individually.

Reason is, my authoring software always writes 720x576 (480) to the IFOs even though almost every Titleset I author is actually encoded as 704x576 and therefore needs the IFOs to be updated to 704.
Most hardware players don't seem to be offended by this but I have one older player which shifts the picture to the left slightly if the IFOs say 720 whereas the encoded video is actually 704.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 11th October 2014 at 12:40.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 14:55   #134  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, I understand your reason, but I don't like too much to let the user modify settings that can be the source of many problems. You are the first person who complain that the resolution cannot be changed, because normally it should always be correct. PgcEdit is mainly designed to modify the navigation, not to fix the bugs in the badly created DVDs (although it does that automatically for some specific bugs).

Is it so tedious to use IfoEdit to modify just that value?

Last edited by r0lZ; 11th October 2014 at 14:57.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:38   #135  |  Link
TheSkiller

Pretty much yes, because this flag is stored in the VIDEO_TS.IFO for every Titleset as well as in all of the VTS_xx_0.IFO files (in other words: twice for every Titleset). So if there are 8 Titlesets, I have to modify the flag in 9 different places 16 times using Ifoedit.

I noticed PgcEdit updates the Camera/Film flag in both VIDEO_TS.IFO and VTS_xx_0.IFO files which is convenient. I just wish I could do the same with the res flag.

I mean it's OK, IfoEdit works, but I thought PgcEdit may be able to do this in a more sophisticated way than IfoEdit which requires updating every file by hand.
Old 13th October 2014, 10:39   #136  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

change_video_width_plugin v0.1

OK, I have implemented it as a plugin. Download change_video_width_plugin.7z. Extract the change_video_width_plugin.tcl file from the archive, and place it in the "plugins" directory (within the PgcEdit's installation folder).

You should have now a new Plugins -> Change Video Width menu, with an option to change the video width of the currently selected domain from 720 to 704 or from 704 to 720. The half width (352) and the PAL/NTSC heights (576 and 480) cannot be modified.

There is also a global function that toggles the width in ALL menu and title domains of the DVD. (The half-widths are not modified.)

You can also use the Change Video Width option at the end of the menu that pops up when you right-click on a PGC in the left pane. It is easier to access, and changes the video width of the current domain only.

I hope it's sufficient to fix the bugs of your authoring software. Let me know if you need to toggle the widths in all title domains only and not in the menu domains (or the opposite). I can easily change the global function to handle the menu and title domains separately.

Last edited by r0lZ; 14th October 2014 at 17:54. Reason: replaced the link to the plugin with v0.2
Old 14th October 2014, 17:14   #137  |  Link
TheSkiller

That's awesome, big thanks to you for making this plugin, r0lz.

Works very well and does exactly what I need without having to edit so many single files – what a relief.

Quote:
Let me know if you need to toggle the widths in all title domains only and not in the menu domains (or the opposite). I can easily change the global function to handle the menu and title domains separately.
That would be great. I never need to patch my menus because I found using 704 width menus results in button highlights slightly off on some players, so I always use 720x576 menus (which are correctly flagged as such).
So yes, it would be perfect if the global function would handle menu and title domains separately.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 14th October 2014 at 17:16.
Old 14th October 2014, 17:51   #138  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

change video width plugin v0.2

OK, here it is: change_video_width_plugin_v0.2.7z
Old 31st January 2015, 21:10   #139  |  Link
legolad

How to fix a broken Subtitle menu?

Hello,

I've been using your this excellent PGCEdit tool to complete a DVD project for a friend. It allows me to do things that PowerDirector 13 will not.

Today's issue is a menu item.
In my DVD structure I have a menu that allows the viewer to turn the English subtitles On or Off.

I realize that they can do this with their DVD remote control and all that, but the PowerDirector template forces me to have this stupid menu but it does not work. Even worse, now that the film director has seen the menu, we wants to keep it and he wants me to make it work correctly.

I've been reading the help files for hours, but I can't seem to find anything that explains the PGC commands or their syntax. Without that, I can't figure out what's wrong with the command that's already on this button. I did notice a message that said the cell value of 64 was out of range. Pretty sure that's where the problem is, but I don't want to change anything I don't fully understand.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Going to your donation page now.

Here are some pictures of the project in PGCEdit:

With the OFF button selected:

With the ON button selected:

The PGC Commands Page for the SUBTITLE MENU:

The details dialog when I double-click the SUBTITLE MENU item:

The details dialog when I double-click the MAIN TITLE item:

Last edited by legolad; 31st January 2015 at 21:15. Reason: fixing image link
legolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 23:49   #140  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I can't tell what's wrong with your screenshots only. The 64 value to turn the subtitles on is probably right, but unfortunately, the commands of the menu buttons do not set the subtitle on or off directly. They just change the value of a GPRM, that should be used elsewhere to trigger the actual command that changes the subtitle state (a SetSTN command). Since 64 is the right value to turn the subtitle on, and 0 to turn it off, I suppose that the problem is that the SetSTN command is not executed when it should. But the command can be almost everywhere, and I can't help you.

I suggest to use the trace mode to discover when the subtitle stream is turned on or off. So, use Trace -> Trace Mode to enter trace mode. You'll see the virtual player in the bottom left corner of the main window. In the Watch menu of that frame, be sure to activate the GPRMs and SPRMs. (The other options do not matter.) In the GPRM window, click on the label "6" in front of the sixth button. The label should turn red. That means that the trace will stop when the value of GPRM 6 changes. Click also on the label "2" in the SPRM window. Again, it should turn red. Now, when the trace will run, PgcEdit will stop it when the value of GPRM 6 or SPRM 2 will change. SPRM 2 controls what subtitle stream must be displayed when a Title plays (not a Menu). It must therefore have the right value (64 or 0 for subtitle #0 on or off) when the main movie is played. Note that at the beginning, the value of SPRM 2 is 62, meaning "not set by the user, and let the player decide if a subtitle must be shown".

Start the trace by clicking the [->>> Run] button, and close the preview when it plays a video. Navigate to your subtitle menu, and click the Subtitle On button in the menu viewer. Continue to trace. You should see the value of GPRM 6 changed to 64, and the trace will stop. Click Run again. Continue to trace up to the next automatic break. At that point, a SetSTN command (that modifies the value of SPRM 2 and therefore selects a specific subtitle stream) should have just been executed. If it's not the case, and it's a command that modifies the GPRM 6 that is executed, then you have found the bug. Otherwise, continue to trace to the main movie, and see if the value of SPRM 2 changes again. If it's not the case, the movie should play with the subtitles. (You can't see them in PgcEdit, but have a look at the SubPic field in the virtual player window to confirm that the subpic #0 is turned ON.)

Anyway, if something went wrong, try to locate exactly where it has failed (either because GPRM 6 is changed again before the SetSTN command or because the SetSTN command is never executed, or executed twice with conflicting values), and copy and paste the commands of the current PGC here. (Use Info -> PGC to display the commands as text and copy them easily.) With that information, I may be able to understand what is causing the bug.

If it's too complicated for you, you can also do a ZIP backup (with File -> Backup -> Create ZIP Backup) and send me the ZIP by email. (Find my email address at the bottom of the PgcEdit home page.) I will have a look.

Last edited by r0lZ; 31st January 2015 at 23:56.