Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th July 2015, 16:58   #31921  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That sounds weird. And this is a new problem with the recent builds, I suppose? If the madVR queues are full and neither frame drops nor presentation glitches are reported, then this could be a GPU driver bug, or a bad flush setting (are you using defaults?), or a bug in madVR.
I think the problem has been around ever since the new windowed mode was introduced, I just never made the connection before. I see it on both my laptop (with an old AMD GPU, legacy drivers) and my desktop (with a GeForce GTX 580, latest drivers), but there's probably something about the way livestreamer connects with MPC-HC that causes it. I definitely don't see it on every stream though, so I think I'll have to wait for a 'low quality' stream to get a debug log. I'll also try it with smooth motion disabled in case it makes a difference.

Edit: Oh, and flush settings are |flush, flush & wait (sleep), don't flush, don't flush|, which I believe is the default. I have it set to present 8 frames in advance, with a CPU queue size of 48 and a GPU queue size of 24, and "use a separate device for presentation" is checked.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 18th July 2015 at 17:02.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 17:16   #31922  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Unreported Stutter,
[...] which exact madVR build introduced it, whether you're using default flush settings or not, whether the problem only shows if any sort of OSD is visible or whether it always shows etc.
88.17 introduced it; 88.16 is fine.
Only when something on the screen besides the video (Stats menu, volume, time marks, etc...).
Flushes are at default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88.17
* added automatic OSD low latency logic
I guess this one is to blame

Also 88.17 (and on) makes my rendering times faster in D3D11, from 23ms to 16ms.
With 88.16 rendering times are the same as d3d9, 23ms.

Anyone else can confirm?
Try videos with smooth pans.
D3D11, FSE, stats menu On (ctrl+j).

Last edited by James Freeman; 18th July 2015 at 17:28.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 17:35   #31923  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
88.17 introduced it; 88.16 is fine.
Only when something on the screen besides the video (Stats menu, volume, time marks, etc...).
Flushes are at default.

I guess this one is to blame

Also 88.17 (and on) makes my rendering times faster in D3D11, from 23ms to 16ms.

Anyone else can confirm?
Try videos with smooth pans.
D3D11, FSE, stats menu On (ctrl+j).

All kinds of panning shots are somehow problematic in the latest builds etc 0.16, 0.17, 0.18, 0.19. I'm on Dell ud2913wm @ 72 hz+reclock. Also I lowered my dpc latency a lot, around 40-50-60 nanoseconds.

Last edited by Siso; 18th July 2015 at 17:39.
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 17:50   #31924  |  Link
mogli

Quote:
Does it say "(new windowed path)" when you do that with D3D9?
New path, yes, but I'm only testing FSE since I don't use windowed mode. (I restart MPC-HC after switching between D3D9/11.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I reported the speed increase with v88.12. However I don't remember if it started earlier.

Note that D3D11 also about halves my presentation timings. Using 'separate device' has no effect on this at all, only on rendering.

Last edited by mogli; 18th July 2015 at 18:51.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 17:54   #31925  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli View Post
I restart MPC-HC after switching between D3D9/11.

I reported the speed increase with v88.12. However I don't remember if it started earlier.
You can simply ctrl+c without restarting mpc-hc when changing between d9 and d11 or any other operation that requires closing madVR.

Apparently my speed up is because of the new OSD low latency logic from 88.17 on.

Last edited by James Freeman; 18th July 2015 at 18:01.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 02:56   #31926  |  Link
Akeno

Base Image / No image sharpening

SuperRes Strength: 1
SuperRes Strength: 4
SuperRes Strength: 4 + Radius: 1.00

The source I used actually has aliasing already in it. NNEDI3 miraculously anti-aliases the image and SuperRes brings back the aliasing. Anyone know why that is?

For fun, I set image upscaling to softcubic 100 and doubled the image.
Base Image / No image sharpening

SuperRes Strength: 1
SuperRes Strength: 4
SuperRes Strength: 4 + Radius: 1.00

And added fun, I compared Adaptive Sharpen set to 1.5 and SuperRes Strength: 1 and Strength: 4 + Radius: 1.00. There's a lot less ringing in SuperRes and the lines are closer to what you would expect (i.e. not horrendously thick). There's still aliasing regardless of settings though. Upping the radius only provided a marginal decrease in aliasing at the cost of marginal blurring.

Last edited by Akeno; 19th July 2015 at 04:54.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 05:07   #31927  |  Link
har3inger

If the source has aliasing, presumably SuperRes is interpreting that aliasing as meaningful information and is trying to reproduce the lost aliasing in the final result.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 08:02   #31928  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

MPEG2 deinterlacing is too SLOWLY (according to rendering time)
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 08:27   #31929  |  Link
michkrol

Please provide more information:
Do you actually get dropped frames?
What decoder are you using (software/DXVA/CUVID/QuickSync)?
What OS and player are you using?
What GPU and drivers (version) are you using?
A screenshot of the OSD would also be helpful.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 08:43   #31930  |  Link
Warner306

Using the test build, the performance of SuperRes has degraded to the point I can no longer run Strength 1. Previously, my settings were as follows:

Profile: "720p"
  • Chroma: super-xbr150 + AR
  • Image: Jinc3 + AR
  • Luma Doubling: Off
  • Upscaling Refinement: SuperRes (passes: 1; strength: 1.0; algo: 2; alt color space: off)
  • Artifact Removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Image Enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Ordered
No presentation glitches, rendering closer to 30ms than 38ms. This is with a Nvidia GTS 450.

Last edited by Warner306; 19th July 2015 at 08:45.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 11:45   #31931  |  Link
KoD

Hi, I experience lots of dropped frames after switching between fullscreen and windowed modes, the way I describe below:

What I do is this: start playback-> all is fine, go fullscreen -> everything is still fine, then go back to windowed mode -> all still fine -> go back to full screen -> now lots of frames dropped, it does not recover itself unless I pause the video, and then resume. With 0.88.12 it was enough to pause once, and then playback would be smooth again after resuming; with 0.88.19 once is often not enough, I have to pause twice. It looks like the render queue does not recover staying at 1-3 or 2-3, even though the decoder, subtitle and upload queues fill up to their normal stats. The present queue also ends up with the same fill status as the render queue.

Some details: I'm using MPC, with its internal filters for h264 playback of mkvs, it happens on both 8 bit and 10 bit content, irrespective of whether I use software or hardware decoding. Happens only when using D3D11 and fullscreen exclusive mode. If I use full screen windowed mode, or I use the D3D9 renderer, all is fine.

I happen to have a Sony TV which accepts 12 bit color input. When using D3D11 and fullscreen exclusive mode, the TV receives 12bit per channel input (I can see this by pressing the Info key on the remote).

Have not changed the graphics drivers since a long time ago, it's still version 347.25 on a GTX980 for me.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:21   #31932  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
Hi, I experience lots of dropped frames after switching between fullscreen and windowed modes
I bothered to do a little further testing tonight on this issue I reported a month ago and came to post the exact same thing.. looks like I didn't need not bother..

Sometimes I've seen it recover while paused only to drop the queue to low values again once it's started playing. And yes it's generally when you do a "messy" (multiple switching, pausing etc) windowed to fullscreen switch.

Quote:
Does it only occur in 10bit output mode?
Yup.

Quote:
Does the screen refresh rate matter?
Nope.

Quote:
Please make sure you close everything else, even 3rd party background services, just to be safe.
Played it safe. No difference.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:38   #31933  |  Link
tFWo

Quote:

you can create an empty file called "BilinearSuperRes" in the madVR folder. That means HQ turned off. I pretty much hate the look it produces, though, so use it at your own "risk".
I'll be using this too. HQ is the source of most of the problems I have with Superres. There is a new problem when using this. Strength 1 is too strong with HQ turned off . Maybe add strength 0 that halves the strength.

"Radius" option helps only a little when HQ is on. Turning it higher than 0.75-0.80 does remove most of the artifacts, but it also softens the image considerably. Again I fail to find a purpose for Superres with a trade-off like that.

With HQ off, "radius" is less important. It just has to be just above 0.5 (i set it at 0.7 just to be sure). When it's set below 0.5 aliasing/pixelization appears.

Last edited by tFWo; 19th July 2015 at 13:38.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:57   #31934  |  Link
Dlget

x64 ?

any chance of x64 release of madVR???
since x64 does better CPU utilization
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 13:00   #31935  |  Link
sneaker_ger

MadVR already has a 64 bit version. It's in the same package as the 32 bit version.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 13:12   #31936  |  Link
Dlget

does that mean i can use 64 bit lav filter + mpc be for 10 bit files???
Old 19th July 2015, 13:21   #31937  |  Link
sneaker_ger

correct
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 14:00   #31938  |  Link
Nachbar

Brightness / limited range question

I noticed my new 4K TV will not display anything above 235 or below 16 when it is set to Full Range. Set to limited I am now able to perceive those values. Should I set it to limited or full range in the driver and in madvr?
Also should I set LAV Video to PC, limited, or untouched? I think untouched is correct for now.
Should I also be using YCbCR instead of RGB?

These are the brightness settings I've found to get reference black to be the darkest black using the black clipping video in the avs hd calibration disc:
When in Full Range in madvr with the driver set to Full: 45 (0-15 are clipped)
When in Limited Range in madvr with the driver set to Full: 27 (no clipping)
When in Full Range in madvr with the driver set to limited: 31 (0-15 are clipped)
When in Limited Range in madvr with the driver set to limited: 16 (no cipping)

I'm going to try out limited/limited for a while and see what I think.

I also noticed no matter what setting I choose I cannot get white to clip above reference white. ALl the white levels show no matter what. Even when adjusting brightness and contrast.

Last edited by Nachbar; 19th July 2015 at 15:40. Reason: added more testing info
Nachbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 14:22   #31939  |  Link
Dlget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
correct
Nahhh...
It doesn't work.
I just tested with everything x64
Old 19th July 2015, 14:29   #31940  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlget View Post
Nahhh...
It doesn't work.
I just tested with everything x64
It works fine with MPC-HC. Make sure the files are registered by running "install.bat".
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling