Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th August 2018, 09:12   #52021  |  Link
huhn

it is doing 4:2:0 -> 4:2:2 -> 4:4:4 with "simple" scaler.
why this is the case well i guess you have to ask madshi.
doing it in 1 shader should be faster if i remember it correctly Shiandow was testing this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 10:55   #52022  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
"only if there would be motion judder without it..." - Smooth motion is turned off on VFR video, how can madVR think there won't be judder?
madVR makes this decision at startup and will use whatever value for the frame rate it is told by LAV, it doesn't analyze timestamps.
Old 10th August 2018, 11:35   #52023  |  Link
Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
You have all Windows 10 focus assist features disabled? It fix "frozen video" for me.
You were right, thanks. It's strange because Focus Assist was supposedly disabled, but problem went away only after unticking all options.
Old 10th August 2018, 19:20   #52024  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, focus assist seems oddly behaved. It needs to be completely disabled or it damages performance even if it is not supposed to be doing anything.
Old 10th August 2018, 19:44   #52025  |  Link
Stereodude

Can we get the ability to go negative (below 0) in custom video levels in madVR? For example, being able to go to -16 would fix incorrectly encoded black levels on a laptop or PC system that maps 0 to black and 255 to white.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2018, 20:14   #52026  |  Link
huhn

control+alt+shift+i

maybe there is a tag name too
Old 11th August 2018, 04:42   #52027  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
control+alt+shift+i

maybe there is a tag name too
That affects both ends though right? From my quick test it seems to. I've seen content where the peak white levels are correct, only the blacks are mis-mapped. Hence the request.

Last edited by Stereodude; 11th August 2018 at 04:44.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 05:20   #52028  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Can we get the ability to go negative (below 0) in custom video levels in madVR? For example, being able to go to -16 would fix incorrectly encoded black levels on a laptop or PC system that maps 0 to black and 255 to white.
Have you tried:
Quote:
Originally Posted by changelog.txt
* added tag "blacklevel=%value%", value range [-50, +50]
If you CTRL+F for "tag" in the changelog you'll see others that may be of use.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 16:54   #52029  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Hi fellows,

I'm sure I am not the only one following progress over on the AVS forum....waiting patiently.

Can anyone else with a HDR set confirm at this stage that madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip is producing a picture with far more depth, contrast, and better tone mapping than the latest version (today)? Maybe I am misunderstanding the latest builds in terms of what it is trying to achieve - are the latest builds purely about trying to restore detail, or is Madshi, using the results of Color test builds, and now on to restore details?

Forgive me if it's a stupid question, but on a HDR set, madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip is producing the best image of all test HDR to SDR builds to date (100, 100, 100, 75, 50, 25, off, off)

K
Old 12th August 2018, 18:05   #52030  |  Link
KoKlusz

Latest 3 test builds are only making changes to the detail restoration algorithm, the rest of tonemapping pipeline is not affected, as far as i know.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 01:35   #52031  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
The madVR options thread should have the answers to your questions.
I think I got it now, but they are not that well explained in the options panel. Still doesn't address the VFR issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
madVR makes this decision at startup and will use whatever value for the frame rate it is told by LAV, it doesn't analyze timestamps.
But doesn't LAV know about it being VFR? At least mediainfo says it's VFR, so it should be known without even looking at the timestamps?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 01:52   #52032  |  Link
huhn

yes they could go and read the timestamps before starting playback and could choice the refreshrate and if or if not SM should be used.

but this sounds like a lot of work.

just the info if it is VFR is not enough. the first frame could be reported with a shorter frame time and the rest is CFR but the file would still be reported back as VFR. this is a real "problem" BTW. but real VFR is really uncommon.

you could add a tag to force SM. sorry i don't know the name of them but pretty sure there is one.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:56   #52033  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKlusz View Post
Latest 3 test builds are only making changes to the detail restoration algorithm, the rest of tonemapping pipeline is not affected, as far as i know.
Ok thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

EDIT:

Just re-read what you said. Not sure the latest version is using the same tonemapping as madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip, as they look very different on my setup, to my eyes anyway.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 13th August 2018 at 11:21.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 17:52   #52034  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
that's messed up i try may r9 270 later.

edit: and with later i mean days i guess at week end.
sorry my r9 270 is working like a charm.
but my windows has a lot of changed settings to make it usable.
Old 13th August 2018, 19:50   #52035  |  Link
kostik

Previously D3D11 fullscreen windowed was showing only 8 bit but now , OSD shows me D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10 bit) .

Both in HDR and SDR modes.

I am not sure whether nvidia 398.98 hotfix fixed it or the new Win10 18214 build or maybe the latest madVR test build.

Last edited by kostik; 13th August 2018 at 19:55.
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 21:25   #52036  |  Link
KoKlusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Ok thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

EDIT:

Just re-read what you said. Not sure the latest version is using the same tonemapping as madVRhdrTestFinalColor4.zip, as they look very different on my setup, to my eyes anyway.
Well, I wrote that just minutes before latest version dropped, which did changed how madVR reads metadata.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 22:04   #52037  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKlusz View Post
Well, I wrote that just minutes before latest version dropped, which did changed how madVR reads metadata.
Where is this thread in the AVS forum?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 22:19   #52038  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...projector.html
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 00:05   #52039  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
Previously D3D11 fullscreen windowed was showing only 8 bit but now , OSD shows me D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10 bit) .
Test build fixed it. Surprised madshi didn't release an interim build or quick fix release here, he's pretty dedicated to avsforum and playing with HDR right now so I guess that's why.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 03:43   #52040  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
yes they could go and read the timestamps before starting playback and could choice the refreshrate and if or if not SM should be used.

but this sounds like a lot of work.

just the info if it is VFR is not enough. the first frame could be reported with a shorter frame time and the rest is CFR but the file would still be reported back as VFR. this is a real "problem" BTW. but real VFR is really uncommon.

you could add a tag to force SM. sorry i don't know the name of them but pretty sure there is one.
If there's a lot of "fake" VFR, then that's a problem for sure. But VFR isn't as rare as you think. All of my recent smartphones record VFR video. Sometimes frames are skipped or delayed for whatever reasons... CPU throttling because of overheating, background tasks, who knows. Learned it after many hours of pulling my hair when trying to re-encode my videos using tools that assume CFR.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling