Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 18th May 2008, 16:58   #1  |  Link
tacman1123

Overlaying a background image

I'm trying to create a mask for a name/title caption in a documentary style clip -- that is, someone talking, then their name and title fades in. It looks pretty good right now with SubtitleEx(), but I'd like to add a semi-transparent gray background so that the letters stand out.

Obviously, I'll use Overlay(), but I'm not sure how to create the image I want to use as an overlay.

bg=(something)

and then something like

Overlay(bg, x=50, y=20, mode="subtract", opacity=0.25)

I'm hoping this is a common enough request that someone can just point me to some code (if Amazon sold an Avisynth Cookbook, I'd already have ordered it!).

Thanks! After many months of playing around with video software, I'm finally using Avisynth and am blown away at how good it is.

Tac
tacman1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 00:50   #2  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

Try Aegisub and then load your .ass with textsub()

What you want is very basic typesetting that is easy to do in the program I mentionned.
thetoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:54   #3  |  Link
tacman1123

Looks like a LOT of work to install Aegisub, it's not just a simple AviSynth plugin. At the moment, here's my best attempt:

a=AVISource(...)
fontsize=2
bg=blankclip(length=10, width=round(a.width/2), height=40, color=$0FF000).Greyscale()
Overlay(a, bg, x=a.width-bg.width, y=a.height-(bg.height+fontsize), opacity=0.2)

Then I use SubitleEx() to add the captions. It's working ok, but I'm sure there's a better way (like figuring out the right color!)

Tac
tacman1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:35   #4  |  Link
thetoof
Sleepy overworked fellow

It's a program like any other.... run the exe and your done. After that, load your video in Aegisub, time and typeset your stuff, save as .ass and load that file with textsub() in avs.

Or, use nother method.... It's just that I'm used to work with that program and I saw that it can do amazing things.
thetoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 22:43   #5  |  Link
gzarkadas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacman1123 View Post
...I'm sure there's a better way (like figuring out the right color!)...
You can use one of the gray color constants at the call to BlankClip and avoid the Greyscale call: color_gray10, ...20, ..., ...90.

You could also try mode="Chroma", with opacity=1.0 (or close to 1, say 0.8 or 0.9).

Tags
captioning, overlay, subtitle