Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 25th May 2008, 17:03   #241  |  Link
wg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacman1123 View Post
I already have AviSynth installed, so I chose "no" when prompted to (re-)install it. Now it's coming up with an error message saying that it's not found.

I looked for an .ini file to set the path manually to my location, but don't see one. How can I use my currently-installed Avisynth?

I don't want to install another instance of AviSynth, because I have lots of things in my plug-in directory that I need, and I don't want to duplicate them, or to have to explicitly call the plugin.

Thanks! This looks much, much, much easier than going through all the steps at http://xvid.ru/docs/rip/dvd/avsynen.htm (which by itself is a great way to learn about all the steps involved, but at this point I'm much happier with a "Press a Button" solution).

Tac
Use the NoInstall version, create a folder unzip to the folder & run it from there. Create a desktop icon for ease of launching, works perfectly. Good luck.
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 17:46   #242  |  Link
tacman1123

I uninstalled the original, said "Yes" to removing the registry options, downloaded the .7z no_install version, put that in a directory, ran avsToDvd from the new directory, and am still getting the same error. Avisynth is installed, .avs files open fine in WMP, avsp works fine, so I'm sure it's something relatively simple. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thx,

Tac
tacman1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 00:52   #243  |  Link
wg

Quote:
I uninstalled the original, said "Yes" to removing the registry options, downloaded the .7z no_install version, put that in a directory, ran avsToDvd from the new directory, and am still getting the same error. Avisynth is installed, .avs files open fine in WMP, avsp works fine, so I'm sure it's something relatively simple. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thx,

Tac
I have AviSynth 2.5.7 installed & everything works fine, possibly try a re-install or if you are using a different version try 2.5.7. You also say you have 'lots of things in my plug-in directory that I need' possible conflict? Hope it works out.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:20   #244  |  Link
tacman1123

The error message is that it's not seeing AviSynth (Not installed), I don't really have anything odd in my plugins directory, but I also don't want to maintain parallel copies of it. How does the program check for AviSynth? Is there a way I can give it the path?
Old 26th May 2008, 13:01   #245  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
The error message is that it's not seeing AviSynth (Not installed), I don't really have anything odd in my plugins directory, but I also don't want to maintain parallel copies of it. How does the program check for AviSynth? Is there a way I can give it the path?
AVStoDVD checks the following win registry key presence:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AviSynth
If AviSynth is correctly installed, that key is present and contains the local path to AviSynth folder.

Do you want to solve that issue definitively? Re-install AviSynth.

Do you want to keep everything untouched and do not be annoyed by AVStoDVD error message at startup? Go to 'Settings'/'Misc' and toggle on 'No splash screen at startup'. During Splash Screen displaying, AVStoDVD performs a complete check on required software. No splash screen, no software check, no error messages.

Now the question is: if AVStoDVD does not find AviSynth, BUT you assure that AviSynth works, then AVStoDVD should work as well. Correct?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 13:18   #246  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
I just did 4 encodes with latest version also with HCEnc OPV, size set to 1110 and elementary streams only. First M2V came out 1050kb (correct ) , next 873kb, next 922kb, next 860kb. I then did 3 more (size set to 1480), first M2V was 1430kb (correct ), next 1440kb (too large and re-jig kicked in and then crashed with a BSOD in my Vista w/SP1), last one after a PC re-start came out 923kb ( thats 35% to small). I re-encoded the last avi using DVD2SVCD with CCE & D2SRoba and it came out at 1360kb, only 5% to small.
Thanks for OPV encoding reports!

I know that AVStoDVD's CQ prediction routine is far to be optimized (like D2SRoba) and can be improved. Any help in that direction (reports like yours, theory, code development, etc.) is welcome.

Now the routine is taking 5% of the total clip (10 parts equi-spaced all along the clip) and find out (max 5 trials) the CQ factor to match the desired filesize (5% of total DVD size).

That routine is quite good when clip has not many motion changes. If many, you must be lucky that the "5% trial clip" is good to describe the whole clip. If not, over/down sizing occurs.

Basically that routine is similar to Amnon82's GetCQ, with some optimizations.

More worries from ReJig's crash... I have tested it on Vista standard and never had BSOD...

Let me know if you have suggestions about OPV or do more encoding.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 26th May 2008, 13:19   #247  |  Link
tacman1123

I checked the registry, and indeed everything is correct for that key (Default) and pluginsdir2_5.

When I double-click on an AVS file, or load it in WMP or other tools, it works the video renders normally. When I try to load an avs file in AVStoDVD, it gives the error message that it's an unsupported filetype ("File format not recognized.")

FWIW, my Avisynth is installed at c:\avisynth, your program was unzipped to c:\avisynth\avstodvd, and I have other tools in that directory as well (e.g. AvsP, vdubmod), so all my Avisynth-related tools are in one directory. (I HATE putting things in Program Files, I do too much stuff on the command line to constantly be dealing with quotes to handle the blank space.)

My plugins directory contains things like SubtitleEx and some custom functions (in an avsi file), but I'm sure the program isn't getting that far.

So that's the reason I don't want to re-install AviSynth, since other tools are installed there.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:02   #248  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
When I double-click on an AVS file, or load it in WMP or other tools, it works the video renders normally. When I try to load an avs file in AVStoDVD, it gives the error message that it's an unsupported filetype ("File format not recognized.")
As a matter of fact, you can't load avs files into AVStoDVD. You can load a "standard" clip (avi, mpg, mkv, etc.) and AVStoDVD will generate a AVS script for you. You can edit the script by clicking on 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth'

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 26th May 2008, 14:58   #249  |  Link
ChickenMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Thanks for OPV encoding reports!
Let me know if you have suggestions about OPV or do more encoding.
My only suggestion would be to contact Tylo and have a chat about D2SRoBa, I'm sure he will only be to glab to help you out.

One suggestion though, you use Re-jig to downsize an encode, thats great. But if it to small (occasionally happens with D2SRoBa also), then D2SRoBa initiates a VBR pass using the vaf file generated in the opv pass (using cce as the encoder, not sure if there is a HCEnc equivalent).

One problem I didnt mention in my above post, the first 4 avi's I encoded, I loadeded them into TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit out some footage and to add a simple menu. First 3 loaded in fine, TDA refused to load in the 4th giving no clue as to the problem. The next 3 I did, all 3 refused to load into TDA. All were encoded with identical settings, all default except max bitrate set to 8000 and min bitrate to 2500 (lowest I could go ), and DVD size varied from first 4 avis and last 3 of course. All my mpeg-2 "fixing" programs (Re-stream, mpeg-vcr & DVDLab Pro tools) could not "fix" the mpv streams to load into TDA. I ended up having to use DVD2SVCD (has real problems under Vista) to re-encode them so they would load into TDA. I think its time to upgrade to XP
Old 26th May 2008, 15:12   #250  |  Link
tacman1123

Hmm, no wonder I'm confused. I thought AvsToDVD was a program that allowed me to turn my avs scripts into a DVD -- that's not what it does? I use Adobe's Media Encoder to convert avs scripts to Flash, but now need to convert avs scripts, as chapters to a DVD. Any suggestions on where to go?

As I mentioned before, http://xvid.ru/docs/rip/dvd/avsynen.htm spells out all the steps, but was hoping for a simpler, integrated solution.

Thx,

Tac
Old 26th May 2008, 16:41   #251  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to contact Tylo and have a chat about D2SRoBa, I'm sure he will only be to glab to help you out.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will do ASAP.

Quote:
One suggestion though, you use Re-jig to downsize an encode, thats great. But if it to small (occasionally happens with D2SRoBa also), then D2SRoBa initiates a VBR pass using the vaf file generated in the opv pass (using cce as the encoder, not sure if there is a HCEnc equivalent).
Unfortunaltely, not. CCE and HCenc uses different approaches in VBR encoding.

Quote:
One problem I didnt mention in my above post, the first 4 avi's I encoded, I loadeded them into TMPGEnc DVD Author to edit out some footage and to add a simple menu. First 3 loaded in fine, TDA refused to load in the 4th giving no clue as to the problem. The next 3 I did, all 3 refused to load into TDA. All were encoded with identical settings, all default except max bitrate set to 8000 and min bitrate to 2500 (lowest I could go ), and DVD size varied from first 4 avis and last 3 of course. All my mpeg-2 "fixing" programs (Re-stream, mpeg-vcr & DVDLab Pro tools) could not "fix" the mpv streams to load into TDA. I ended up having to use DVD2SVCD (has real problems under Vista) to re-encode them so they would load into TDA. I think its time to upgrade to XP
Very, very strange. Could you try to load the m2v+ac3 files into MuxMan? If MuxMan says that something is wrong, I have to worry. If not, leave MuxMan create DVD structure and then feed TDA with VIDEO_TS folder.

Let me know

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 29th May 2008, 03:34   #252  |  Link
ChickenMan

I am able to load the M2V files into Muxman and DVDLab no problems, no objection and they author fine. But then trying to load those into TDA, I still get the same error

I tried encoding a 90min avi, all went well and I ended up with a VIDEO_TS folder authored fine, but audio was out of sync by 400ms. TDA has a great feature to allow you to offset audio both + or -'ve and preview the results but since I cant load them into TDA, I resorted to DVDLab, where it has a more clumsy audio off set feature, but it worked.

I've upgraded my system from Vista to XP yesterday so will do some more testing over next few days.

Another suggestion re HCEnc OPV optimazation is to contact jdodds in the ReBuilder forum as I know he and Tylo had lots of discussions on the subject. jdodds has continued to improve his OPV optimization over the years as well. Again, I'm sure he would be only to happy to help out.
Old 29th May 2008, 08:05   #253  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
I am able to load the M2V files into Muxman and DVDLab no problems, no objection and they author fine. But then trying to load those into TDA, I still get the same error
What TDA release are you using? With 3.x I have never had problems like that.

Quote:
I tried encoding a 90min avi, all went well and I ended up with a VIDEO_TS folder authored fine, but audio was out of sync by 400ms. TDA has a great feature to allow you to offset audio both + or -'ve and preview the results but since I cant load them into TDA, I resorted to DVDLab, where it has a more clumsy audio off set feature, but it worked.
You can "preview" out of sync by previewing output directly in AVStoDVD main window. Then you can adjust audio delay (+/-) in 'Title Edit'/'AviSynth'/'Audio Delay'. Preview again to see if audio delay adjustment is effective.

Quote:
Another suggestion re HCEnc OPV optimazation is to contact jdodds in the ReBuilder forum as I know he and Tylo had lots of discussions on the subject. jdodds has continued to improve his OPV optimization over the years as well. Again, I'm sure he would be only to happy to help out.
Will do, thanks for the clue!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 30th May 2008, 07:37   #254  |  Link
ChickenMan

Well I ran 3 more avi's through and all went without a hitch (though they were between 5-15% to small in size) and all were able to author fine in TDA. I have the latest TDA ver 3.1.1.175 with a purchased serial number . So I then did another 3, this time one was slightly too large, rejig kicked in and reduced size no probs & without a BSOD Again, all loaded into TDA fine. So all in all, looks like Vista was the main cause of most of my probs. A bit more OPV optimization would make this a kick-ass program Keep up the great work MrC.

I have noticed that the default encoding folder is not saved in the Project file, is that the case?

Thanks for the tip on the audio sync, but am I able to go back after the encoding and authoring has finished (after finding audio sync is out) and adjust and re-author? or does it have to be done before you start the encoding?
Old 30th May 2008, 10:43   #255  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
.. cut ... So all in all, looks like Vista was the main cause of most of my probs.

Quote:
I have noticed that the default encoding folder is not saved in the Project file, is that the case?
Yes, because default output folder can be setup in 'Settings'/'Path' and AVStoDVD does not store general Settings in the project file. Only project data. Now the question "Is output folder a general setting or a project setting" may come out...

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the audio sync, but am I able to go back after the encoding and authoring has finished (after finding audio sync is out) and adjust and re-author? or does it have to be done before you start the encoding?
Of course you can fix audio out of sync *after* encoding, but with TDA or similar other sw. Btw, imo, a preventive fixing is better.

May I ask you if you have had any problems with:
- internal AVStoDVD preview
- DVD burning directly by AVStoDVD

some users in SourceForge forum are having.

Thanks for opinions sharing

MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 31st May 2008, 02:12   #256  |  Link
wg

I have had 2 separate failures at the authoring stage in Muxman, the AVStoDVD log file makes no mention of any failure. The Video TS IFO file is 0kb, the other files in the Video TS folder seem to be of the correct size. Both encodes were NTSC, 1 using HCEnc OPV, the other Quenc CBR. The video was Xvid 23.976fps 940kbps, with mp3 cbr 32kb audio. I am using the No Install version of the latest version. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 1st June 2008, 10:53   #257  |  Link
ChickenMan

Quote:
May I ask you if you have had any problems with:
- internal AVStoDVD preview
- DVD burning directly by AVStoDVD

some users in SourceForge forum are having.
Internal AVStoDVD preview doesnt work for me. Tried with DivX and Xvid avi's, all I get is audio and no picture. I tried 6 or so avi's, all different, all no picture.

As for direct burning, sorry, I have never tried nor would I ever from any program. To many problems with avi to dvd conversion to assume it works perfect every time. Its also rare that I dont add a menu to my encodes, so I use TDA for its authoring. Again, I still manually burn the dvd after final check of the files.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:26   #258  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg View Post
I have had 2 separate failures at the authoring stage in Muxman, the AVStoDVD log file makes no mention of any failure. The Video TS IFO file is 0kb, the other files in the Video TS folder seem to be of the correct size. Both encodes were NTSC, 1 using HCEnc OPV, the other Quenc CBR. The video was Xvid 23.976fps 940kbps, with mp3 cbr 32kb audio. I am using the No Install version of the latest version. Thanks in advance for any advice.
May you send me (avstodvd@gmail.com) the 2 log files, if you have kept them?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:33   #259  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Internal AVStoDVD preview doesnt work for me. Tried with DivX and Xvid avi's, all I get is audio and no picture. I tried 6 or so avi's, all different, all no picture.
Which kind and release of codec are you using for DivX/XviD? If you are using ffdshow, I have faced a lot of problems with latest "nightly" builds and quartz.dll library (DX DirectShow library I use for AVStoDVD preview). Everything is ok with "official beta4"

Quote:
As for direct burning, sorry, I have never tried nor would I ever from any program. To many problems with avi to dvd conversion to assume it works perfect every time. Its also rare that I dont add a menu to my encodes, so I use TDA for its authoring. Again, I still manually burn the dvd after final check of the files.
Very safe procedure! Btw, if you will ever feel confident to burn directly using AVStoDVD, please let me know the result.

Thanks!

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 3rd June 2008, 09:47   #260  |  Link
wg

Quote:
May you send me (avstodvd@gmail.com) the 2 log files, if you have kept them?

Bye
Sorry, I did not. But will if it occurs again.