Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th January 2018, 13:48   #48461  |  Link
Manni

@Madshi:

I did a test with a TEST.BAT calling notepad.exe.

If I call TEST.BAT for both custom profile enable and custom profile disabled (so same batch file for both) I get notepad to open on enable, nothing on disable.

So that confirms my tests. As far as I can see, external command on custom profile disable doesn't work, at least here. So please confirm you've tested this and that it works for you.

It won't make any difference re this issue but FYI I'm not calling a second batch file but a python script from the batch file launched as an external command.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 14:51   #48462  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
I did a test with a TEST.BAT calling notepad.exe.

If I call TEST.BAT for both custom profile enable and custom profile disabled (so same batch file for both) I get notepad to open on enable, nothing on disable.

So that confirms my tests. As far as I can see, external command on custom profile disable doesn't work, at least here. So please confirm you've tested this and that it works for you.
I've just tested it again, and it works for me. However, the "disable" command line is only called if the "enable" command line was called before during the same video file / playback session. Or to make it clearer, here's an example of how it's intended to work:

1) Playback video 1 starts. madVR activates profile 1, due to e.g. video resolution being FullHD. Command line for profile 1 activation is executed.
2) Playback video 1 ends.
3) Playback video 2 starts. madVR activates profile 2, due to e.g. video resolution being UHD. Command line for profile 2 activation is executed.
4) Profile 1 is activated during playback by you pressing a key shortcut. Command line for profile 1 activation is executed. Command line for profile 2 deactivation is executed.
5) Playback video 2 ends.

So basically each madVR "session" is separated from the previous/next session. The deactivation command line is only executed if in the *current* session the profile was already active once. I'm not sure, maybe you expect the deactivation command line to also be executed if you play a new video which madVR activates a different profile for than the previous video? The problem with that is the most media players completely destroy & recreate the madVR instance when switching to a new video file. So from madVR's point of view, usually everything starts from zero, when a new video file is loaded.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 15:37   #48463  |  Link
Manni

Thanks for the explanation, I understand what's going on now.

I thought the external command on disable would execute when video1 stops, not when video2 starts. I agree it makes sense for a custom profile point of view, it just doesn't help as much for this specific use (getting MadVR to change calibration only with HDR content because it doesn't report SDR BT2020 in the HDMI stream). It also explain why the batch I want to play after 3D playback doesn't play.

This means that we have to get the second batch executed for all profiles but HDR on Custom enable, not only for HDR on custom disable.

I was hoping that it would get the correct calibration called after the video playback, so that the interface is displayed properly, but it's not a big issue.

If you could find a way to get SDR BT2020 reported in the HDMI stream using a custom API, it would be a far more elegant solution at least for those of use who have to switch between different sources and different calibration.

The main issue with using IP control to switch the calibration from MadVR is that you can only open one connection with the JVC. So if you do that, you can't use iRule or any other IP control app to control the JVC as well. You can only use IR (for example a universal remote) or RS-232.

There is no issue with the Vertex as it uses RS-232 to control the JVC, so it's 100% compatible with iRule etc using IP control. Of course this is only an issue for home cinema set-ups (especially with projectors), so not a problem for the majority.

No rush and no bug, thanks again for the explanation, and if at any point you come across a way to send the actual signal description in the bitstream, that would be great as it would make MadVR (or rather the HTPC, I'm aware it's not MadVR's fault) behave like any other source allowing those of us with a Vertex to keep the JVC Control from there as it works great for all sources.

Thanks again for all your help, I'm going to change the way I do things for now and move on to settings/calibration.

Last edited by Manni; 18th January 2018 at 15:40.
Old 18th January 2018, 15:57   #48464  |  Link
clsid

Logically you should first execute profile 1 deactivate, and then profile 2 active command.
Calling the deactivate command also when terminating would make sense.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 16:08   #48465  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I can't. I don't store which profile is active when the madVR instance is destroyed. Maybe I should remove the deactivate command line option altogether since it seems to be of limited use.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 16:12   #48466  |  Link
Rick164

Thanks for the new HDR OSD info, can now see that's using nvidia HDR and working fine with latest drivers
Rick164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 16:25   #48467  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
As you have an nVidia GPU, have you found a way to get better 3D than one frame drop every 3-5 minutes or are you just happy with that?
I'm not seeing frame drops at the moment. I have to give it a lot more testing but I'll be away for a week so it'll have to wait til I get back. But the limited testing I did, I didn't see any glitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
How'd you get exclusive mode fullscreen working for 3D with the fall W10 update? I've been trying to fix it for months. I start playing a 3d movie and 3d enables, but as soon as I fullscreen it crashes immediately ever since the fall update.
I didn't. I use window mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Samurai make sure you give HDR the full quality SDR treatment by selecting convert to HDR to SDR with pixel shader math and selecting preserve hue in high quality. 1060 could handle that.
Can anyone comment on whether let madVR decide actually does this automatically if there's enough headroom?
Oh yea, I already had that set manually. I wasn't sure what madvr would choose automagically, either, so I went and tweaked it.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:28   #48468  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I can't. I don't store which profile is active when the madVR instance is destroyed. Maybe I should remove the deactivate command line option altogether since it seems to be of limited use.
I agree that it's not very useful and can be confusing/misleading if not explained in GUI. Once you know, it doesn't hurt to have it there.

I don't really see a benefit of having a different command when disabling a profile and enabling another one though, but there might be a case for that.

The main use is to go back to the state before the profile is called right after playback, if that's not possible then I don't see a use for it.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:32   #48469  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I'm not seeing frame drops at the moment. I have to give it a lot more testing but I'll be away for a week so it'll have to wait til I get back. But the limited testing I did, I didn't see any glitches.
Just display the OSD, reset the stats and see what it reports. Depending on how sensitive you are to frame drops and the kind of content you play, you can easily miss one frame drop every 3 minutes. I see them all if they happen during a pan, and it's unwatchable for reference viewing. So I use my standalone player for 3D the first time I watch the film (or when showing it to friends) and MadVR when it's just the kids or I've already watched the film and am testing/studying it.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:38   #48470  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwalker View Post
i got the 1060 6gb too, 2 days ago. Your settings?
thx
Remember I'm still on a 1080p plasma screen so if you're doing 4K these settings may or may not work for you.

I've got convert HDR content to SDR using shader math set for high quality.

Reduce banding artifacts set to medium for default and high for fade in/out

NGU anti aliasing medium for chroma
SSIM 2d for downscaling
NGU Sharp high/disabled/let madvr decide : let madvr decide/disabled : lanczos3 AR/ use "image downscaling settings"

enable windowed overlay
use d3d 11 for presentation/present a frame for every vsync
use a separate device for presentation
use a separate device for dxva processing
cpu queue: 16
gpu queue: 8

enable stereo 3d playbacck
when playing 2d: disable os stereo 3d
when playing 3d: enable
restore os stereo 3d...

enable smooth motion frame rate conversion: only if there would be motion judder without it

Error diffusion - option 2
change dither for every frame
(yes, I UNCHECK colored noise...personal preference thing)

Only trade quality for performance i use is:

scale chroma separately, if it saves performance

That's it.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:41   #48471  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Just display the OSD, reset the stats and see what it reports. Depending on how sensitive you are to frame drops and the kind of content you play, you can easily miss one frame drop every 3 minutes. I see them all if they happen during a pan, and it's unwatchable for reference viewing. So I use my standalone player for 3D the first time I watch the film (or when showing it to friends) and MadVR when it's just the kids or I've already watched the film and am testing/studying it.
Yea it's showing 1 frame drop every 3 minutes and indeed it does drop 1 every 3 minutes. It's not enough to completely ruin the film for me. I may try custom resolution again cause that's how I solved it last time but that doesn't work for everyone.
Old 18th January 2018, 16:53   #48472  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It's so relaxing to just not bother with bitstreaming shit and just let the audio fix itself.
Old 18th January 2018, 17:02   #48473  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea yea....some of us are stubborn. LOL

Last edited by SamuriHL; 18th January 2018 at 17:25.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 17:25   #48474  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
It can come from those things:

a. EVR is less VRAM hungry than madVR, which could explain why madVR is struggling with 8K video on a card with only 2 GB of VRAM.

b. the GT1030 doesn't have the power to downscale 8K to 1080 using madVR high quality algorithms.

c. both

I don't see the point of 8K on a 1080 output tbh, but anyway:

1. Close all other programs and folder windows when playing video, each one takes up VRAM which the GT1030 doesn't have plenty of.

2. Choose D3D11 as hardware decoder in LAV, Device set to Automatic (native). This gives slightly better performance.

3. Check your VRAM and GPU loads with GPU-Z or another tool when playing back a 8K clip with madVR:

a. If the GPU load is approaching 90% or more then it's too high. Try selecting DXVA2 downscaling in madVR (make a profile just for 8K), though this defeats the purpose of using madVR, so you'd get better results with a 4K clip and a higher quality downscaler.

b. If the VRAM usage is approaching 1.8-1.9 GB then it may already be too high. You can try to lower queues in madVR to those values (CPU/GPU/Present): 4/4/3.
If that still maxes out VRAM then you're out of luck. If that works, then you can try 4 for the Present queue to be safer, and if that still doesn't max out the VRAM you can then try upping the GPU queue until you hit the VRAM limit again (keep the CPU queue the same as GPU, NVIDIA's hardware decoder is so fast it won't cause problems).
, the point was just to try it out for the heck of it...and hopefully be able to preview/play 8K content if it's not available in any other form...so, could live with EVR, of course, except for HDR - no conversion with EVR...

I've tried everything you propose...even with EVR, D3D11 doesn't cut it, only DXVA2 Native, Video decode is @98%, VRAM is @1,8 GB, so you are probably right - no more of anything left for MadVR to work with...nothing I do to MadVR helps one bit...

I have also noticed (Ctrl-J) that even with EVR it doesn't actually run at full frame rate, it varies between 51 and 55 fps when it should do 60...I'm probaly hitting the VRAM bandwidth limit (64 bit), also GPU-Z PerfCap reports it's capping because of VRel

P.S. with all windows closed it's using 1,7GB VRAM, and when I don't scale the video it runs @58 fps...

Last edited by mytbyte; 18th January 2018 at 18:03.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 20:45   #48475  |  Link
-Hitman-

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm slightly confused now which version does which exactly. Could you try summing up which madVR version does what? And which is what you should get and which is not? From what I see right now, it seems there 3 different behaviours now?
Sorry, for clarity..

Madvr up to version 0.91.11 all work fine and correctly identify my two separate monitor feeds, a Dell and a Denon AVR.

Anything after this version 0.91.11 (eg.V0.92.1 and upwards) is when things start to go wrong and only displays the 1 Dell monitor device with 1 identification card showing the Denon ID and it's edid.

The issue also looks to get worse further up the revisions as testing version 0.92.1 - one Dell display shows with one identification card - Denon/edid

Testing the latest version - again one Dell display but with 2 identification cards inside at first, both with Denon/edid's, then every time the Denon output is used another identification card appears and stack up (all with Denon/edid's) as first reported and shown in the image I uploaded (eg 10x Denon used, 10x identifications show).

Previously mentioned if I completely remove the Denon and the Dell ID/edid is then detected, this ID/edid then becomes predominant and the dell/edid populates the identifications as they appear instead of the denon ID/edid.

Whatever ID/edid madvr detects first, this is always used and will not detect the 2 separate displays with 2 separate display ID/edids.

Thanks.
-Hitman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 21:17   #48476  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
P.S. with all windows closed it's using 1,7GB VRAM, and when I don't scale the video it runs @58 fps...
That's also the result I get on my 1050 Ti, 58-61 fps.
Anyway I still think 8K consumer content is a waste of bandwidth and/or processing power, and I fail to imagine a case where 8K would be the only quality some material would be available in.
Choose the 4K version, avoid needless chroma upscale-then-downscale-again thanks to madVR, and use that GPU power for a good luma downscaler.
Old 18th January 2018, 21:41   #48477  |  Link
Manni

@Madshi
Any chance to get the active 3D LUT displayed on the OSD?
Old 18th January 2018, 22:17   #48478  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
That's also the result I get on my 1050 Ti, 58-61 fps.
Errr...that fps is EVR or MadVR? How do you get 61 fps from 60 fps video
Old 18th January 2018, 22:23   #48479  |  Link
huhn

this sometimes happens when playback is catching.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 22:38   #48480  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this sometimes happens when playback is catching.
Ah, yes, I notices I sometimes do get over 200 fps but very briefly on restart (catching as you put it)...

Last edited by mytbyte; 18th January 2018 at 22:40.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling