Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2022, 19:09   #19581  |  Link
slalom

That "Download cover" is not working again
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2022, 03:52   #19582  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Add this to your custom script

Code:
#Return
DelayAudio(1)
Thank you for this

FYI, I have come across a bit of an issue when using VideoRedo...I have been working of a LOT of TV Series, and I like to remove the intro's & the end credits, and after processing them thru VRD, the clips develop a 200 millisecond delay (or advance) to both video and audio, which in itself, isn't an issue, as they cancelled themselves out, and it plays properly.

HOWEVER, if I then run them thru RB to "clean them up", RB imports the tracks, but it retains the 200 ms audio delay, BUT the video track doesn't.

So the end result is a sync problem

So after importing something like 20 - 30 episodes using Batch, I then have to go thru each Job, and manually change the Audio Delay setting, back to "0". (Would be nice to have this option in Batch, as well as the other's I mentioned in a previous post)

Having said all that, IF I do RB first, then VRD, it's not an issue, as I explained before.

So hopefully your suggestion will get around this issue.

UPDATE:- Well, to my shock & horror, this does not work, if I add those 2 lines to one of my Custom Scripts, and then run AVSMeter, it thinks about it for a second, then the "Abort button" changes to "Start".

However, if I copy the DelayAudio(1) under the existing #Return, it works (as far as AVSMeter is concerned).

RipBot264 modded builds..

Last edited by TDS; 26th August 2022 at 06:55.
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 04:15   #19583  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

It's time for another update...

Hey guy's,

So today I have another updated build, with a few significant update's, and a few refreshed SMDegrain dependancy's.

But there is something new, for those of you that would like to be able to apply some limited colour grading, using LUT's.

Mainly "White Balance / Temperature" adjustment, which on some video's can make a HUGE difference...anyway, more info in the "changelog.txt"

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 17th September 2022 at 05:04.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 10:51   #19584  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
our suggestion will get around this issue.

UPDATE:- Well, to my shock & horror, this does not work, if I add those 2 lines to one of my Custom Scripts, and then run AVSMeter, it thinks about it for a second, then the "Abort button" changes to "Start".

However, if I copy the DelayAudio(1) under the existing #Return, it works (as far as AVSMeter is concerned).
Code:
#AVSameLength
delayAudio(1)
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2022, 13:06   #19585  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Code:
#AVSameLength
delayAudio(1)
Thanks again, I have been able to do a quick test on my little laptop, and I have noticed that this seems to be OK, however, it's fussy..if I add it to a particular Custom Script, it's doesn't add the DelayAudio(1) under #AVSameLength, (in the "Show Video Script", window) but in other scripts, it does add the value.

Not sure why, unless it's the complexity of some of the scripts...

Last edited by TDS; 27th August 2022 at 14:26.
Old 30th August 2022, 19:04   #19586  |  Link
Glarioo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hey guy's,

So today I have another updated build, with a few significant update's, and a few refreshed SMDegrain dependancy's.

But there is something new, for those of you that would like to be able to apply some limited colour grading, using LUT's.

Mainly "White Balance / Temperature" adjustment, which on some video's can make a HUGE difference...anyway, more info in the "changelog.txt"

I have also done something else a little different this time, as mentioned in my last post, I have made 2 options available, you can either grab the complete Tools folder, or just the updated items within the Tools folder, so the choice is yours

Link to the complete Tools folder:-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ra4s0...08-22).7z/file

Link to the Tools updates only:-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zf1ug...08-22).7z/file
Thanks Pauly
Glarioo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:57   #19587  |  Link
blacksapprow

RipBot 1.26 is about 1,5 years old. When will the new version be available? Any workaround? I am personally looking forward to see AV1.

Note: I know updating....

Last edited by blacksapprow; 3rd September 2022 at 09:15.
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:40   #19588  |  Link
blacksapprow

I have a well, do not find it funny but, I am sometimes downloading Netflix films, sometimes Star Trek episodes, Next Gen, Voyager, Enterprise etc. with various downloading programs. Those are:

FlixiCam, Kigo, NoteBurner, SameMovie, TunePat (Those 5 are very similar to each other, their total bit rate is 7.500kbps) and FreeNetflix (this one have a bit higher total bit rate of 10.000kbps.) If you choose more than one language, total bit rate is again the same. Picture quality degrades with each additional dub.)

I want to ask, on which format to save. The file(s) not saved in real original, it depends on the program, the graphics card uses it's full decode branch.

There is typically 4 option, those are mp4 with h264, mp4 with h265, mkv with h264 and finally mkv with h265. For, future dub menu and subtitle changes I know MKVToolNix of course, for mp4 there is VideoReDo TVSuite, this one is a paid one.

For better compatibility I prefer h264 but, mp4 or mkv! Which one to choose? Can anyone help!
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:00   #19589  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapprow View Post
I have a well, do not find it funny but, I am sometimes downloading Netflix films, sometimes Star Trek episodes, Next Gen, Voyager, Enterprise etc. with various downloading programs. Those are:

FlixiCam, Kigo, NoteBurner, SameMovie, TunePat (Those 5 are very similar to each other, their total bit rate is 7.500kbps) and FreeNetflix (this one have a bit higher total bit rate of 10.000kbps.) If you choose more than one language, total bit rate is again the same. Picture quality degrades with each additional dub.)

I want to ask, on which format to save. The file(s) not saved in real original, it depends on the program, the graphics card uses it's full decode branch.

There is typically 4 option, those are mp4 with h264, mp4 with h265, mkv with h264 and finally mkv with h265. For, future dub menu and subtitle changes I know MKVToolNix of course, for mp4 there is VideoReDo TVSuite, this one is a paid one.

For better compatibility I prefer h264 but, mp4 or mkv! Which one to choose? Can anyone help!
Well, my 2 cents worth...however, it is entirely up to you what format you want to process all your files.

I too am doing a LOT of TV series at the moment, and I am doing most of them to x265 mkv.

I use MKVToolNix & VideoRedo (free) a LOT.

So it's up to you, everyone will have a different preference.

Last edited by TDS; 5th September 2022 at 03:06.
Old 7th September 2022, 09:35   #19590  |  Link
howzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreying View Post
Yes, using RipBot all these years. It's excellent software.

All the above

I tried Safe Mode, and yep, RipBot closes fine. So I rebooted into Windows, and first started by closing everything in the System Tray. This is when I noticed that each time I started RipBot, the "NVIDIA Settings" tray icon would reappear.

So I tried stopping the Nvidia services one by one and found that the issue is with the "NVIDIA LocalSystem Container" which starts 3 x nvcontainer.exe background tasks. I can perform a reboot, stop only this single service, and RipBot closes normally.

It appears this service must be running for the NVIDIA GeForce Experience software to work. Not specifically sure why it causes RipBot to break or why RipBot starts the Nvidia tray icon etc.

But I have also replicated this on my old Intel computer that I've used RipBot on successfully for the past 8 years. As mentioned in my previous post, it also broke recently. I thought it was the update to 1.26.1 - but around the same time I had also put in a new GPU which updated the drivers so...

Thanks guys

i thought i'd drop a line and mention that this issue of Ripbot not closing properly and remains in the background still exist. i never noticed this issue until today when i was trying to troubleshoot a gameplay issue then noticed that Ripbot despite being closed using the x button, still remains in the tray. And when you click on the tray icon to bring it back up OR right click close the program it brings the program back up but freezes. only way to get out of this is by going into task manager and end the task manually.

yes, i have a Nvidia gpu but don't have Geforce Experience installed, as i hate that crap. How do we get around this? Nvidia driver is an essential part of many people's setup. Is there a way to code around this problem?

great software btw, been using it since 2008 or so or god knows how long. so thanks!
howzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 10:47   #19591  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz View Post
i thought i'd drop a line and mention that this issue of Ripbot not closing properly and remains in the background still exist. i never noticed this issue until today when i was trying to troubleshoot a gameplay issue then noticed that Ripbot despite being closed using the x button, still remains in the tray. And when you click on the tray icon to bring it back up OR right click close the program it brings the program back up but freezes. only way to get out of this is by going into task manager and end the task manually.

yes, i have a Nvidia gpu but don't have Geforce Experience installed, as i hate that crap. How do we get around this? Nvidia driver is an essential part of many people's setup. Is there a way to code around this problem?

great software btw, been using it since 2008 or so or god knows how long. so thanks!
Hello,

Yes, I have this problem from time to time, and it's not necessarily a fault with nVidia "stuff", it's just something RB does from time to time, and yes, the only way to "kill" it is how you've been doing it.

However, maybe you could try a "clean" install of the nVidia drivers by using this little tool...

https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/

Old 9th September 2022, 20:32   #19592  |  Link
rlev11

This is an FYI for everyone on something I have stumbled upon that had been an issue up until a few weeks ago. I am currently running 1 client and 8 additional encoding servers (all running Windows 11 now) using distributed encoding.

I started all of the encoding servers with a .bat script at startup with the following line
"encodingserver /minimize /restart-if-no-progress /priority normal" (with "/affinity 3FFC3FFC" added on 4k encodes on my 16core ryzens)

I was consistently having issues completing encoding jobs where one of the servers (any one of the 9) would either hang near the end of chunk and not restart, or would start an encode, then that encoding chunk line would go blank and it would start another encoding chunk leaving 1 blank. Of course when it got to the end it would just stop and never finish. The only way to get past this would be to abort the encode and then start it back up. Doing this about half the time it would just encode the 1 blank chuck and finish up, and the other half it would start the whole encode over from scratch. VERY Frustrating especially when doing some batch encoding unattended. I was also consistently getting "encoding server stalled" messages and the chunk would restart as it was supposed to. All the machines use nvme drives and 10gbit network So I figured it was not any kind if network or file share latency.

About 2 weeks ago I removed the /minimize from the servers batch script (and also the line that starts the server on the client PC) and low and behold I have not had 1 encode with an issue where before it was easily 1 in 5 would hang. Over the last couple of weeks I have definitely been encoding for well over 50 hours without a hiccup which finally made me believe it wasn't just luck. Nothing else has changed other than the encoding server window now showing on the desktop as opposed to sitting minimized in the system tray on all the systems. I still get an occasional "encoding server stalled" message and that chunk does automatically restart, but nowhere near the amount of the error messages from when it was running minimized in the system tray.
rlev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 01:59   #19593  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlev11 View Post
This is an FYI for everyone on something I have stumbled upon that had been an issue up until a few weeks ago. I am currently running 1 client and 8 additional encoding servers (all running Windows 11 now) using distributed encoding.

I started all of the encoding servers with a .bat script at startup with the following line
"encodingserver /minimize /restart-if-no-progress /priority normal" (with "/affinity 3FFC3FFC" added on 4k encodes on my 16core ryzens)

I was consistently having issues completing encoding jobs where one of the servers (any one of the 9) would either hang near the end of chunk and not restart, or would start an encode, then that encoding chunk line would go blank and it would start another encoding chunk leaving 1 blank. Of course when it got to the end it would just stop and never finish. The only way to get past this would be to abort the encode and then start it back up. Doing this about half the time it would just encode the 1 blank chuck and finish up, and the other half it would start the whole encode over from scratch. VERY Frustrating especially when doing some batch encoding unattended. I was also consistently getting "encoding server stalled" messages and the chunk would restart as it was supposed to. All the machines use nvme drives and 10gbit network So I figured it was not any kind if network or file share latency.

About 2 weeks ago I removed the /minimize from the servers batch script (and also the line that starts the server on the client PC) and low and behold I have not had 1 encode with an issue where before it was easily 1 in 5 would hang. Over the last couple of weeks I have definitely been encoding for well over 50 hours without a hiccup which finally made me believe it wasn't just luck. Nothing else has changed other than the encoding server window now showing on the desktop as opposed to sitting minimized in the system tray on all the systems. I still get an occasional "encoding server stalled" message and that chunk does automatically restart, but nowhere near the amount of the error messages from when it was running minimized in the system tray.
Hi rlev11, wow, this is all very interesting !!!

1st of all, how many encoding servers do you run on each machine ??

I actually posted a comment some time back stating that I was very surprised that my 5900X was encoding the chunks substantially faster than my 3950X & 5950X (but only when using certain filters).

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...64#post1970064 and several posts after this...

Another user suggested that I try changing the "Use multiple processing threads" setting, but that didn't have any effect.

I tried some thread setting within the x265 command line, that did have a limited effect. But I ended up just leaving it as is, and putting up with it.

Then Atak introduced a new setting in the encoder commands to specify how many threads you wanted to use (haven't tried that yet)

And now you're suggesting affinity settings.

In a previous post you showed /affinity FFFCFFFC, (this sets it @ 14 cores) and in this post it's changed to this /affinity 3FFC3FFC (this sets it @ 12 cores), so IS that a proper change, or a typo ??

What would 10 cores be ??

I also checked out that app you provided a link to, and I can't figure out how that works, but will have a closer look...but I could just try the ones you use, couldn't I

https://bitsum.com/tools/cpu-affinity-calculator/

And as for the "blank" chunks, that IS a very annoying situation that I think all RipBot users will be familiar with, as well as the randomness of whether it will just encode the "blank" chunks, or start over..so your suggestion sounds promising

EDIT:- Update. I just tried the /affinity FFFCFFFC with a 1080p encode, and it's a little slower (as you'd expect with 2 less cores being used), but I will give it a go on my next 4K encode.

EDIT:- Update #2, Just did a test on a 4K HDR clip, and found that the 12 core affinity setting was noticably faster on the 3950X, but still slower than the 5900X. There is also another "command" that I tried /x265-threads 12, but that was slower, again.

Last edited by TDS; 10th September 2022 at 07:22.
Old 10th September 2022, 05:56   #19594  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Untouched RipBot264 v1.26.2

Hey guy's,

I thought I do y'all a favour, as there is no direct way to get / download the very latest v1.26.2 build.

So this is a completely untouched, updated, clean build.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/caq1q...virgin.7z/file

And while I'm here, I am in the process of re hashing my "special" build, as there was a significant change to SMDegrain recently, that affects HDR processing, so once I've done the required updates, I will post it.

I would also really appreciate it, if a few of the 100's that have downloaded my builds, might mention what features & filters they prefer & use.

If you don't want to post a comment here, feel free to send me a PM.

There are a LOT of filter options, and TBH, I only use a couple of them.

It's just nice to have a big choice.
Old 10th September 2022, 14:36   #19595  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Maybe stupid windows 11 is suspending minimized EncodingServer.exe after sometime?

for calculating affinity you just need an old good calculator set in programmer mode

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 10th September 2022 at 14:39.
Old 10th September 2022, 23:40   #19596  |  Link
rlev11

TDS,

Yea, must be something different with the way windows 11 prioritizes resources. Windows 10 would do the same thing occasionally, but nowhere near what 11 was doing with the chunks hanging.

I only use 1 encoding window per machine. I found that I don't really gain that much firing up a second encoder. My cpu usage is up around 80% already on all the cores. Yea the 5900x is the real sweet spot for encoding, I have found that it is faster than the 3950x and is close to the 5950x. /affinity 3FFC3FFC is what I have been using now, only shutting off 2 cores, it still was slower than shutting off 4. On that affinity calculator, cpu 0 thru 31 would give you the 16 physical core count, so start by checking the boxes for 0 thru 31. Each of those cpu are actually "threads" so to shut off 1 core you would then uncheck cpu 0 and 1. so unchecking then cpu 0-1, 14-17 and 30-31, shuts off 2 physical cores on each die and gives the affinity mask I use

I did a test with all my machines. Doing a GOT episode which is 4k full screen (1.78-1) which will tax the encoders the most. The first number is FPS downsizing the encode to 1920x1080 with all cores active, Second number is 1080p with the 4 cores shut off on the 5950x and3950x using the affinity mask I posted before, Third number is 4k encode with all cores active, and last number is 4k with the 5950x and 3950x downgraded to 12 cores with the same affinity mask. This is doing a 10 bit x265 with mdegrain3 strength of 200 which is what I normally do things at. As you can see the 16 core Ryzens fall off a cliff with all the cores active doing 4k full frame.

5950x 19, 18, 1.6, 3.9
5900x 16, 16, 3.6, 3.6
3850x 16, 14, 1.2, 3.4
3900x 14, 14, 2.9, 2.9
5700G 11, 11, 2.4, 2.4
10850k 11, 11, 2.3, 2.3

I found the sweet spot for the 16 cores is running them at 12 core. That affinity mask will turn off 2 cores on each of the 2 dies to balance the thermals. My main thing I focused on with doing the 4k with the 16 core Ryzens is watching the encoding server window bar graph at the bottom. when all 16 cores are active doing 4k, the green and blue parts looks like the swiss alps, it bounces all over the place. Running only 12 cores it is nice and steady the whole way across.

Now my only remaining gripe. The last chunk is always bigger than all the other ones. I know it is just the remaining smaller chunk number added to the normal chunk size. Unfortunately, especially in 4k encodes, it always seems that my slowest machine is the one that has to do the much larger chunk at the end which can slow down the entire encode by a good amount. It would be nice if that last chuck was just the remaining bit, and not the remaining bit plus the normal chunk size. (I know, I am impatient).

And I am anxiously awaiting getting my hands on a 7950X....

Last edited by rlev11; 10th September 2022 at 23:44.
rlev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 02:45   #19597  |  Link
TDS

Hi rlev11, there's bound to be some differences between the 2 OS's, but generally they behave themselves pretty well, I've been using W11 since it first appeared...I just don't understand why some still prefer to "live in the past" with opted up W7

OK, so you state you generally only use 1 DE server per PC, I generally use 2, it can sometimes work out to be a little faster over the encoding job (in most cases).

What size chunks do you prefer ?, I generally go for the 1 minute (but I'm just testing a 2 minute chunk, right now).

The results are in on the 2 minute test, that last chunk is HUGE, why couldn't that have been a 2 minute chunk, and the balance being a smaller chunk ?? oh well. (but at least it finished on the faster pc )

So those comparison numbers are very interesting, thanks for that, so if the 5900X is the sweetspot, what advantage will the 7950X be, if you have to throttle it ???...just get more 5900X's

I would be very interested in seeing how the 12th Gen Intel's would go here, with their strange "E" & "P" core setup...

Also a coincidence, I am currently encoding GoT 4K HDR10, but I am using this setting :-

Code:
video=SMDegrain(video,tr=3,thSAD=300,thSADC=150,thSCD1=400,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=2,str=1.2,refinemotion=true)  @ CRF 14
And a custom x265 profile :-

Code:
--level 6.2 --profile main10 --hdr10 --hdr10-opt --output-depth 10 --ctu 64 --merange 57 --high-tier --vbv-bufsize 800000 --vbv-maxrate 800000
And it looks GOOD

And I 100% agree that that last chunk is a constant PITA, why does it have to be like that...maybe ffmpeg (or whatever is used to split them) can't process less that 1 minute chunks

Last edited by TDS; 11th September 2022 at 03:02.
Old 11th September 2022, 03:09   #19598  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Maybe stupid windows 11 is suspending minimized EncodingServer.exe after sometime?

for calculating affinity you just need an old good calculator set in programmer mode

Don't need a "old good calculator", W11 calculator does just fine

Last edited by TDS; 11th September 2022 at 10:40.
Old 11th September 2022, 09:30   #19599  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
It would be nice if that last chuck was just the remaining bit, and not the remaining bit plus the normal chunk size. (I know, I am impatient).
Last chunk could have only 1 frame. Did you think about that? That's why last chunk is always longer to avoid that stupid case.

Quote:
.I just don't understand why some still prefer to "live in the past" with opted up W7
I just don't understand why some still think that dumped down win11 is superior.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 11th September 2022 at 09:33.
Old 11th September 2022, 10:21   #19600  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Last chunk could have only 1 frame. Did you think about that? That's why last chunk is always longer to avoid that stupid case.
The chances of that situation happening would be VERY rare, as the last chunk is always nearly half as big again, than the second last chunk !!!

Quote:
I just don't understand why some still think that dumped down win11 is superior.
I used your updated W7, sometime back, just to see how it would work for me, and I soon went back to W10, even with all the "bell's & whistles" that you've incorporated into W7, it's just not "modern" (up to date) enough.

You've built RipBot around W7, and due to that, certain functions don't work as you intended, anymore.

It's time it got a rebuild for working that little bit smoother with W10 & W11, it's the way of the future, W7 is just getting older & older (like all of us)

It's pretty obvious to a lot of us, that for whatever reason you've kind of lost interest in both RipBot & your Windows 7 Updater, you haven't made an appearance over there, since 2021 !!!, and RB is far from up to date as it could be.

I know it's free, and it still works VERY well, but it could be so much better.

Last edited by TDS; 11th September 2022 at 10:39.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360