Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 9th December 2011, 10:29   #1  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

ATI HD4830 HDMI Underscan setting not keeping.

I'm using an ATI HD4830 hooked to my monitor via HDMI. The monitor is a Samsung T240HD, which is a monitor that has a built in HDTV tuner, speakers, and component input besides the normal DVI and HDMI inputs. Panel resolution is 1920x1200 (16:10) and normally runs at 60hz but it also supports popular TV resolutions, including 1080p24. I have a Bluray player hooked to it as well and can use 60hz and 24hz mode with no issues.

The graphics card does not seem to be displaying 1:1 on the PC input for the TV resolutions. When I have MadVR change monitor frequency and resolution to one of these "tv resolutions" (being output as YCbCr instead of RGB by the card) the display receives and displays 1080p24 but the picture does not go to the edges on the left and right and has too large a gap on top/bottom to account for the aspect ratio difference. I've done other searching online and there is a setting for this in the Catalyst control panel, and I have found it, and using it I can remove what is underscan being added on purpose by the graphics card to get the picture to the edges of the panel. The problem is the setting doesn't stick. If I exit out of MPC or whatever video player I'm using and go back in the underscan is back and the Catalyst panel is once again showing itself configured to do this.

Is this a problem others are having or just me?
Old 9th December 2011, 21:17   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

I have noticed a similar issue with my AMD HD6970. If I change modes to the TV sometimes the overscan setting is unset. I had to set it for a few different modes but once I had set it for a specific mode it did stick.

I suggest manually setting the output modes in CCC and setting the overscan for each of them then. I hope that when MadVR changes settings CCC knows what it should be doing.

I assume you have the newest drivers?
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 04:49   #3  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Yup 11.11. And you were right. Just took a bunch of tweaking everything. It seems I had to manually list all those HDTV resolutions as supportted in CCC and then change resolutions and then set the underscan on each from outside any application running before they stuck. Everything is almost fixed now. I only have two problems: when I use 1080p60 mode the image gets stretched to fill the whole panel. 720p60, 1080i30, and 1080p24 are 16:9 as they should be.

The other is the image quality. When I'm in an HDTV resolution, the picture looks completely different. Brightness/Contrast is different and the picture looks like it's had a sharpener applied to it, and I'm not seeing anything to cause this on CCC.

Tags
1:1display, ati, hdmi, undersized