Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2021, 21:21   #1  |  Link
JK1974

Creating a 4K UHD BD for PS5 playback - black screen

Hi,

I tried to do my first 4k reencode with x265, aiming to store the result on a BD-R in the UHD-BD format.

The BD-RE (used for testings) plays back without problems on my Panasonic DP-UB450EB-K UHD-BD player, and the MKV, created before feeding it into TsMuxeR and creating the UHD ISO, works without problems in Kodi on my Odroid-N2 and FireTV Cube, so I donīt believe in encoding errors in general.

However, when trying to play back this BD-RE on my PS5, the console detects the disc correctly as an UHD BD and starts playing back the audio, but the screen stays black.
To be more precise: Right before the playback of the disc, the screen turns deep black - at least, it is a deeper black than when playing back a commercial 4H UHD BD. Therefore, I believe, that the video output is disabled. However, it does not seem to be disabled completely because the amplifier tells correctly that the video format is 2160p with 23.976fps, and the TV correctly switches to this resolution (Panasonic TVs show this for a brief moment in a little white box in the upper left corner).

I believe that it could have to do with HDCP, but I cannot add any HDCP information on my BD-R(E) naturally (and donīt want to because it makes not sense even if I was able to). Disabling HDCP output in the PS5 settings also does not work because when trying to start the playback the UHD BD, the Playstation 5 asks me to enable HDCP in the system settings. So my current assumption is, that the current PS5 firmware enables HDCP any time it detects a UHD BD, not taking care of if it is a protected disc.
Testing the general decoding compatibility by putting the MKV on an USB stick does not work because the PS5 only supports H.264 MKVs.

I use TsMuxeR from last week (git-88316ec) and version 1.4.2 of HandBrake with the following settings:
- Image size: 3840x2160
- No filters
- Video encoder: H.265 10-bit (x265)
- fps: 23.976 (constant)
- Preset: Medium (I would prefer 'Slow', but even on 'Medium', it takes 14h encoding time...)
- Tuning: Grain (it is a grainy source material; also tested a snipped with 'None', but does not change anything on the PS5)
- Profile: Main 10
- Level 5.1

Mediainfo gives the following results:
Code:
Color space : YUV 
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 
Bit depth : 10 bits 
Writing Library: x265 3.5+1-f0c1022b6:[Windows][clang 12.0.0][64 bit] 10bit

Endcoding settings: cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=12 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / 
log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x2160 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 /
no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop /
min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=20 /
lookahead-slices=8 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / 
no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / 
no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 /
limit-refs=1 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb /
no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / selective-sao=0 / early-skip / no-rskip / no-fast-intra /
no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=4.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless /
cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=26.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=1 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 /
vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / min-vbv-fullness=50.0 / max-vbv-fullness=80.0 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.10 /
pbratio=1.00 / aq-mode=0 / aq-strength=0.00 / no-cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=64 / rc-grain / qpmax=69 /
qpmin=0 / const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=1 / transfer=1 / colormatrix=1 / chromaloc=0 /
display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / 
no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.03 / 
no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / 
analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / 
refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / 
max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / 
scenecut-aware-qp=0conformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0 / no-vbv-live-multi-pass

Color range : Limited 
Color primaries : BT.709 
Transfer characteristics : BT.709 
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Anyone with the same experience, is this maybe a known PS5 bug - or are in my encoding settings wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance!
JK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 01:24   #2  |  Link
JK1974

Seems to me that I found the solution myself after doing further research: Adding --uhd-bd to the "Additional parameters" field solved the playback issue.
I miss something like https://sites.google.com/site/x264bluray/ for UHD BDs, even though I know that it often depends on the source material how to set some of the parameters to get the best possible results...
JK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2021, 16:39   #3  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Try BD-Rebuilder, it should be able to create proper UHD reencodes.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote