Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 14th October 2010, 03:11   #1  |  Link
Diacetyl

HELP - Demuxing Vob's into out of sync audio

I've looked around this forum and it seems my situation is unique, but i may be mistaken. I am trying to burn a dvd of a television show, of which is already on my computer in pure .vob form. This was originally a dual layer disc, but i want to fit it into one.
I have been using DVDShrink to shrink the original files into one that will fit. When the process is done, I have 5 or 6 .vobs, all of which with audio in sync perfectly.
When i demux in DVDLab, im left with a 2:22:00 video and 2:12:00 Audio. I didnt notice this when i first burned a copy, and when i did burn it, and play it, the first episode was in sync, but at the second episode, the audio is out of sync. By the last episode, its really noticeable, as it is growing more and more out of sync.

Again, my .vob's are in sync after shrinking, its after the demuxing things get weird. The video also has open GOP's for when i put chapter points, i dont know if that helps.

So i just dont know where to go from here. I've tried multiple variations of demuxing and what have you, but i keep getting out of sync audio. What am i doing wrong?
Thanks in advance
Diacetyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:17   #2  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Why are you demuxing with DVDLab rather than burning the DVDShrink output directly to disc? I assume you have just vob files on your hard drive rather than a rip of a full DVD with ifo files, menus etc?
If DVDShrink is getting it down to a size that'll fit on a single layer disc then you should simply be able to re-save (backup) the DVDShrink version to your hard drive, then burn it. Are you re-authoring the files with DVDShrink or just shrinking them?

Often episodic DVDs contain multiple episodes in a single vob file, or split between vob files, or sometimes the length of the audio and video inside the vob files isn't the same, or the audio delay is different in each, so depending on the software when you demux the audio and merge it into a new single file the gaps are lost and the audio can lose sync. It's a common problem when converting episodic DVD to other formats such as AVI. Usually you have to make sure the episodes are split into their own single vob file before converting.

Without understanding exactly what you're working with and why you're using DVDLab, try changing the DVDShrink option for vob file size. It normally saves them in 1GB pieces but you can have it save one large vob file instead. Maybe DVDLab will cope with that better than it does when joining them.
Alternatively, can you re-author your original vob files into DVD format with DVDLab, then save it's output to your drive for DVDShrink to shrink as the final step in the process?

Alternatively, and while not free, ConvertXtoDVD is DVD authoring software which has never given me sync issues. It works out where there are gaps in the audio etc and fills in the spaces. It will both re-author the vob files (and many other types) and shrink them to fit, so you don't need two different programs.

Last edited by yetanotherid; 25th October 2010 at 14:20.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, demuxing, sync