Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2012, 20:17   #1  |  Link
Destructabomb

What do you convert HD DVD audio to ? (E-ac3)

After finally figuring out how to convert Blu Ray to MKV Ive tried to do the same to some of my HD DVD collection. Video works fine but i was wondering what you guys tend to convert the audio to. Most videos contain the Dolby Digital plus audio and Ive tried to convert to Ac3 but it doesn't sound as good as the original which is disappointing. I have also tried FLAC although this sounds much better on the PC the audio will not work on any of my players. I was wondering if there was some compromise. For reference im using MakeMKV to copy the film to the HDD. I use ripbot for the video encoding (but separate the audio using TSmuxer beforehand to keep original when copying blu rays).

Any help would be great

Thanks
Destructabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 03:57   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

That's quite surprising to me. AC3 at 640kbps is pretty damned good... Are you sure it's not just the placebo effect?

You could probably just preserve the E-AC3 audio. It's allowed in BluRay and will probably work on your standalone players.

Oh... moved to the Audio Encoding forum, as this thread has nothing to do with MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 encoding.

Last edited by Blue_MiSfit; 29th August 2012 at 04:27.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:11   #3  |  Link
mp3dom

E-AC3 on bluray is an optional codec, and allowed only for a 6.1/7.1 configuration, where the E-AC3 extension is for replacement of the rear channels only. Basically it works in a similar way to TrueHD or dts-HD. There's the AC3 5.1 core at 640Kbps (for players that doesn't support it) + the E-AC3 extension for rear channels. Total sum of bitrate is up to 3 Mbps. At those data-rates a TrueHD or dts-HD is a better solution. This also explain why there are no DD+ 5.1 on blurays.
mp3dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 10:58   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructabomb View Post
... it doesn't sound as good as the original which is disappointing...
What kind of videos have an audio so sensible to this reencoding?
There are people outthere that cannot distinguish an MP3 from a WAV it originates, so I assume there's an issue with the converter.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:24   #5  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Just to let you know...

If you ever intend to upgrade to a network connected media player or "Smart TV" I can confirm that all my HD-DVD back-ups that contain Dolby Digital Plus audio (in .MKV) work perfectly. I'm also able to pass the Dolby Digital Plus bit-stream to an external surround sound amplifier via HDMI
Old 29th August 2012, 16:26   #6  |  Link
Destructabomb

Thanks for the help everyone. Just to inform ive tried another video "Hot Fuzz" with a 5.1 E-Ac3 soundtrack on my players. The video works no problem but the audio is not. How would i go about extracting the AC3 "Core" from this soundtrack. The hot fuzz track is "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1ex". I have the audio and video separated so only need to put back together using mkvmerge. In response to Ghitulescu i once tried the audio with these using vidcoder (this was before i started to separate the audio and video files as i now do) using the AC3 FFMPEG option. I could tell a lack of quality was happening due to the fact that during the main action scenes the gun effects sounded completely different. I compared the original to the new one i had done and it was instantly noticeable. If there was a way for myself to extract the core from the Dolby Digital plus im assuming there wouldnt be this lack in quality ?

Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 16:30   #7  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone. Just to inform ive tried another video "Hot Fuzz" with a 5.1 E-Ac3 soundtrack on my players. The video works no problem but the audio is not.
What are your players?

By the way. Dolby Digital Plus is encoded/stored differently on HD-DVD to Blu-ray. On HD-DVD it does not have a "core"...

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 29th August 2012 at 16:35.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 16:36   #8  |  Link
Destructabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What are your players?
I have tried on a Sony S380 (Blu Ray Player) " High Definition audio codecs - Supports Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio codecs"

Marantz UD5005 - Decoder: Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD Yes / Yes / Yes

My entire process is this (incase you have any suggestions of how i can get it to work)

1.HD DVD to mkv using MakeMKV
2. Separate the audio and video of this mkv using TSmuxer.
3. "Shrink" the video using Ripbot to a certain file size (video files work no problem)
4. Put the newly encoded video and original audio back together using MKVmerge.

Last edited by Destructabomb; 29th August 2012 at 16:38.
Old 29th August 2012, 17:01   #9  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I actually used DVDFab Passkey to rip my HD-DVD's to .EVO files. And EVOdemux to de-mux the .EVO files to elementary streams.

The required elementary streams were then dragged and dropped into MKVmerge GUI. I also visited the "Extra Options" tab and under the "Compression" option I selected "None" for each stream.

I did not bother to "shrink" the video...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's also possible to drag and drop full .EVO files into MKVmerge GUI and remove any unwanted audio streams.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 30th August 2012 at 14:37.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 17:03   #10  |  Link
Destructabomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I actually used DVDFab Passkey to rip my HD-DVD's. And EVOdemux to de-mux the elementary streams.

The elementary streams were then dragged and dropped into MKVmerge GUI. I also visited the "Extra Options" tab and under the "Compression" option I selected "None" for each stream.

I did not bother to "shrink" the video...
Ill try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 10:14   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
I have tried on a Sony S380 (Blu Ray Player) " High Definition audio codecs - Supports Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio codecs"

Marantz UD5005 - Decoder: Dolby Digital Plus / Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD Yes / Yes / Yes

My entire process is this (incase you have any suggestions of how i can get it to work)

1.HD DVD to mkv using MakeMKV
2. Separate the audio and video of this mkv using TSmuxer.
3. "Shrink" the video using Ripbot to a certain file size (video files work no problem)
4. Put the newly encoded video and original audio back together using MKVmerge.
As usual, my sugegstion is to try the BDMV format first, a lot of features are not implemented for MKV files, which is no wonder since none of your player is an MKVplayer, just regular BDplayers
Old 4th September 2012, 12:01   #12  |  Link
pandy

I use ffmpeg however E-AC3 is not recognized by many containers, this is funny because ffmpeg is able to produce valid (at least recognized as) E-AC3 elementary stream.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 23:03   #13  |  Link
lchiu7

I ripped all my HD-DVD to AVCHD format and burnt them to DL DVD so I could play them on my Oppo BDP-80 and retire my Toshiba HD-DVD player. They all have either DD+ or TrueHD audio. Then I found I could just take the .m2t files off the discs, put them on a HD and play them fine with my Popcorn Hour.

As a rule I never put my own rips to MKV -I really can't see the point of doing that. I usually just rip and mux back to .m2ts format which as a container can handle all the HD Audio codecs fine.
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 15:19   #14  |  Link
Turtleggjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
As a rule I never put my own rips to MKV -I really can't see the point of doing that. I usually just rip and mux back to .m2ts format which as a container can handle all the HD Audio codecs fine.
Two reasons why I use MKV for my Blu Ray rips:

1. MKVs are significantly smaller than M2TS files (due to the massive container overhead in M2TS, not due to recompression)

2. MKVs can have chapters, while M2TS cannot, at least not by itself (full Blu Ray / AVCHD structure is required for that).

I believe that MKV can also support all the HD audio codecs now, including subtitles. Since I only use players that support MKV (MythTV on an NVIDIA ION system, or Media Player Classic Home Cinema on Windows), I have no issues playing my MKV rips.

Matt
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 18:34   #15  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

MKV can pretty much support anything you can throw at it. The shortcomings you see are not the format, but the crappy standalone players that can't deal with certain codecs in certain containers. It's less of a hassle to just build some low-power Atom or AMD APU system.
ramicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 19:10   #16  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Both TrueHD and EAC3 for HDDVD not need AC3 core, and it's not problem to convert TrueHD stream to Blu-Ray compatible, eac3to will do for you, but there is no solution for EAC3 yet. I suppose is same like for TrueHD just need to embed AC3 track to stream.
Old 20th September 2012, 19:14   #17  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

DD+ (E-AC-3) is its own codec. It doesn't do anything relating to a core.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:15   #18  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramicio View Post
DD+ (E-AC-3) is its own codec. It doesn't do anything relating to a core.
Yes, but for blu-ray compatibility need to have embedded AC3 track (can be called core) which need for compatibility, but yes, that is totally 2 independent streams, 2 lossy streams. Unlike DTS-HD HR also lossy compression but HR part is depended of core DTS like DTS-MA. I think should not be complicate to make eac3to or some other tool that will convert HDDVD eac3 to compatible Blu-Ray eac3 without quality loss, like manipulating with TrueHD.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:20   #19  |  Link
ramicio
Banned

It's only ever used to carry the extra channels of a 6.1 or 7.1 track. The OP wants to convert HD-DVD to MKV, not to Blu-ray, so it's irrelevant making a "Blu-ray compatible" E-AC-3 stream. There isn't even such thing, since it can't be used alone on a Blu-ray. It's just a complement to AC-3 to give 6.1 or 7.1. Has this even ever been done? It sounds like such a stupid idea I don't think any self-respecting studio would even bother.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:48   #20  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Mainly for deliver extra channels, but also better quality, since EAC3 can go up to 1.5mbps, you can use it for 5.1 or other channel configuration, keep better quality, but AC3 substream like on TrueHD must be present for compatibility and metadata which control decoding. Reason why am talking about this is because mainly i heard that receivers will not play EAC3 stream that not contain substream/core, and usually follow Blu-Ray specs, so it's impossible to play EAC3 from HDDVD since is one independent stream. But like OP says, converting will for sure degrade some quality, converting to some lossless also not good option since also not supported by receiver, so only valid should be converting HDDVD EAC3 to BD EAC3 keeping all quality, but there is no tool available to do. There is dolby demo BD disc that contain EAC3 compatible for BD.

Btw better explanation can be found in BD specs on 9.9.2 chapter.

Last edited by shon3i; 21st September 2012 at 22:52.
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote