Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th December 2017, 07:52   #47581  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
its not a non issue as you have to use FSE to get MVC 3D frame packed to play, I know no other way and i dont want to go back to SBS.
On my side with MediaPortal or MPC-HC, i can play 3D MVC without FSE on Win 10 1703 and Insider 17046 (this one need settings for FSE to works but it's related to change or bug from 1709 FCU).

Still to have 3D MVC working (10 bit) i need to have in 'display modes' for MediaPortal switch to '...when playback starts'. and not '...when media player goes fullscreen' :P
Old 8th December 2017, 09:06   #47582  |  Link
Nyago123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
My system is not one to copy.

I am running a 7900X at 4.8 GHz, DDR4 4000, Titan X (Pascal), Intel 900p. Everything hot has custom water cooling. It does run madVR very well but something a lot cheaper would run it just as well.
Ha ha... let us know how MadVR runs when you grab one of these:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-v/

Seriously though, just want to know that while we don't have the same hardware, I made good use of your settings.bin when I first configured MadVR for my latest HTPC (which uses a 1080 as it is also a game machine). I started with it then tweaked a little for my system and personal preferences. So thanks for that.
Nyago123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:22   #47583  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It is a Windows 10 issue, it really is a non-issue though because you don't need to use FSE.

The differences are subtle and your inability to notice these very minor differences are probably due to the projector and the screen.

There will be no quality differences between the RX 480 and 1070 Ti beyond those caused by different settings in madVR. Pascal runs NGU faster than Polaris so the 1070 Ti will allow higher settings. The quality difference between NGU high and very high is pretty minor though, I am not sure it is worth hundreds of dollars especially since you cannot see the difference on your projector.

I was able to tune nearly perfect refresh rates with Nvidia, with frame drops expected less often than every 6 hours. I do not use Reclock or similar.

Yes, this is true. D3D11 fullscreen windowed supports 10bit output.
Thank you Asmodian for your reply. You are confirming what I thought. I wasn't sure if my assumptions were justified.

I hope that madshi will look into the FSE matter. It happend before that people blamed drivers whereas madshi eventually fixed it.
When I look at the history trace of AMD drivers then it seems to me that the DVXA and DirectX9/11 black screen issues are fixed in the latest drivers. Lately Microsoft solved a black screen issue that was introduced with the lastest fall update. At AMD and NVidia the issue is unknown. However, I do not have the knowledge to blame anything. It's just to see a solution to this problem.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:35   #47584  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Hi, I dont see any difference either, again possible due to the fact all my movies are self ripped from blurays as remuxes, I prefer my movies on hard disk for quick access.
Same here.

Quote:
I had a go with FRC, its great at movement but it glitches now and again, not too often but I prefer zero glitches. My main issue with it is that it softens the picture too much for me and there are artifacts.

I have an LG 65 inch OLED, the tru motion on that is actually pretty good for smoothing video, on option 4 i get just the right amount of smoothing with only a tiny loss in sharpness which I make up using super RES on the TV anyway.
When I used FRC I had to turn off the motion settings of my projector and TV. Otherwise it softens the picture too much. In fact, FRC is doing the motion smoothning and the motion setting is not needed in the projector/TV. This was in my case. I had no glitches or artifacts with FRC.

Quote:
One thing I have learnt of the last few weeks though, if your HTPC is working well, disabled all updates and leave it the sh1t alone
I leave the updates on. I had some trouble with AMD drivers, but they were fixed a few updates later. The Crimson drivers are not bad.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:36   #47585  |  Link
Jesco

I did have some troubles with my soundcard after installing W10 fall update (which resulted in no sound during playback), but FSE was and is still working for me on AMD HD7970 since the fall update. It turned out I had to uninstall the fall update, disconnect my usb external soundcard, re-install fall update and re-connect my usb external soundcard after the fall update was installed. Seems like it's better to disconnect most external usb hardware before letting W10 do it's annual feature updates, and re-connect them afterwards.

Does the FSE troubles only apply to 3D video playing? I only play 1080p 2D source material on my projector. It would suck if I could only view movies on my projector in a MPC-HC window.
Jesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 10:38   #47586  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Evening, in the section i posted the screenshot below, i always used NGU Sharp with luma doubling setted to high. All the rest let madvr decide.

Yesterday i saw a youtube video where the user suggested to use these settings, what do you think? I'm not expert so i'm testing:

https://postimg.org/image/nis3mwkjv/

Another question, if i use Ctrl J during video, i can see that my monitor frequency is 59,9 or something similar. Never 60. Is this right this way?
Any suggestions?

Inviato dal mio BLN-L21 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 8th December 2017, 10:46   #47587  |  Link
HillieSan

@Jesco
The FSE troubles are related to all players that use madVR; e.g. MPC HC, MPC BE, PotPlayer, Kodi DS, JRiver. The problems started with the last two or three madVR updates. At the time, Windows was also updated.

What version of madVR are you using? What player are you using?

Last edited by HillieSan; 8th December 2017 at 10:59.
Old 8th December 2017, 11:04   #47588  |  Link
Jesco

I'm using the latest madVR now (0.92.9) and use mpc-hc as player.

FSE worked for me before and after W10 fall update on madVR 0.92.9 and previous versions of madVR. There was a recent update of Radeon drivers as well but that didn't affect FSE for me it seems because FSE worked on the previous Radeon drivers as it does on the latest drivers.

So far nothing seems to have changed concerning FSE on my hardware (playing 1080p 2D), before and after fall update, regardless of madVR versions and Radeon drivers versions. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Maybe 3D does give problems, but I have not tested that because I don't watch 3d stuff.
Old 8th December 2017, 11:10   #47589  |  Link
HillieSan

Are you using NGU?
Old 8th December 2017, 11:14   #47590  |  Link
Jesco

Yes, chroma upscaling NGU Sharp, high quality
Old 8th December 2017, 11:18   #47591  |  Link
mclingo

those with working 3D MVC with FSE disabled, are you sure its not converting it to SBS, i've had someone tell me this before only to find they were playing 3D SBS movies, if I turn off FSE 3D stops working, turn it on again and it works again, its as simple as that, i'm sure full frame packed 3D is not supposed to work outside of FSE.

If it worked outside of FSE you'd be able to run it in MPC-BE without MADVR?

can anyone clarify this?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 11:18   #47592  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco View Post
Yes, chroma upscaling NGU Sharp, high quality
and image upscaling? Also NGU Sharp high quality?
Old 8th December 2017, 11:25   #47593  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
those with working 3D MVC with FSE disabled, are you sure its not converting it to SBS, i've had someone tell me this before only to find they were playing 3D SBS movies, if I turn off FSE 3D stops working, turn it on again and it works again, its as simple as that, i'm sure full frame packed 3D is not supposed to work outside of FSE.
It works just fine on NVIDIA without FSE.
Old 8th December 2017, 11:45   #47594  |  Link
Jesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
and image upscaling? Also NGU Sharp high quality?
Yes, image upscaling, doubling: NGU Sharp, algorithm quality: high (<-- luma doubling) but I don't believe image upscaling is used when I playback 1080p movies on 1080p projector, right?

You can take a look at my madVR settings here if you like: https://postimg.org/image/alqsl4dbr/

Last edited by Jesco; 8th December 2017 at 11:55. Reason: Added url
Old 8th December 2017, 11:51   #47595  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:

If it worked outside of FSE you'd be able to run it in MPC-BE without MADVR?

can anyone clarify this?
Sorry to clarify, anyone with an AMD card getting full frame packed 3D without FSE turned on, note if you are using KODI DS it could still be turned on.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 12:18   #47596  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco View Post
Yes, image upscaling, doubling: NGU Sharp, algorithm quality: high (<-- luma doubling) but I don't believe image upscaling is used when I playback 1080p movies on 1080p projector, right?

You can take a look at my madVR settings here if you like: https://postimg.org/image/alqsl4dbr/
I think that image scaling is not used. What you could do is scaling the image to 4K and then downscale it back to 1080. This could improve the image quality. I have no experience with this.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:25   #47597  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
I think that image scaling is not used. What you could do is scaling the image to 4K and then downscale it back to 1080. This could improve the image quality. I have no experience with this.
Read a few pages back. We were just recommended by huhn and Asamodian not to do this.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 12:27   #47598  |  Link
HillieSan

Ok, thank you for your reply.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:35   #47599  |  Link
Jesco

Quote:
Why should I upscale perfectly fine 1080p source material to 4k, only to downscale it again to 1080p for viewing on 1080p projector. That doesn't make any sense to me and I can not image it'll do image quality any good. Not to mention it will have great negative impact on rendertimes too.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:46   #47600  |  Link
HillieSan

It could refine the image. In the past there were discussions about this here in the forum. But I think this not the case anymore.
Yes it has great negative impact on rendertimes and you need a powerful graphics card to do it.

See message from SirSwede above.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling