Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th April 2016, 02:02   #37601  |  Link
Asmodian

If you don't want to get into it too deeply I suggest you set white point and brightness to native, tone curve to BT.1886. Black point compensation on for the first try, off if that calibration is not good near black.

This method doesn't try to fix the white point but white is relative for humans and without a lot of testing and doing it right HDTV calibrations are generally better without targeting a white point, IMO. You sacrifice too much to sort-of fix white.

I suggest you look at the Display Calibration thread for continued discussion of this topic. There is some good information there and it is nice to avoid clogging up this thread with display calibrations.
Old 27th April 2016, 04:25   #37602  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
hey people, about 3dlut calibration
tomorrow i gonna try again make a 3dlut, the last experience was bad... i got an old i1d2 and an lcd hdtv that don´t have rgb sliders or any colour controls...
what is the best config in dispcal gui?
should i set all to as measured and disable the interactive display adjustments? or should try using the rgb controls from intel cp?

and the tone curve? should i set as measured?
in profiling should i use black point compesation?
can somenone help me? the colorimetry is not mine and i don´have much time for testing possible configurations..

ps: my tv don´t support full range, and the best config i found is set madvr to tv levels and intel to full range... there something i should do in dispcalgui to match this settings?
DisplayCAL is much better than it used to be. I generated 3D LUTs for my plasma and one of my LCD monitors in the past week. It now has a 3D LUT for madVR option on the main page. You don't need black point compensation. Don't mess with RGB sliders in the drivers.

The rest of your questions depend on what you're trying to do or are after. After you generate a profile of your display you can generate a 3D LUT over and over changing the options however you want. That only takes a few minutes per 3D LUT and doesn't require any remeasurement.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:44   #37603  |  Link
*Touche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Can you produce test images? I have hard time noticing any difference when super-xbr or NNEDI3 is combined with SuperRes.
Don't have any saved, I just pause some movies and tv shows and compare. It's not that SR is important, actually, just sxbrAB25 ~ NNEDI3.
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 16:09   #37604  |  Link
aufkrawall

It's a bit softer, though, which is corrected well by SR.
SR also corrects some of the bloating by super-xbr without A-B, but this is mainly limited to bloating of dark areas since SR in GL has kind of thinning effect for dark lines. The ringing/bloating of bright areas by super-xbr isn't corrected as good, that's where super-xbr A-B comes in.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 17:56   #37605  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
I am using it with a DVB-T2 tuner in the UK with MPC-HC and channels broadcast both in h264 and mpeg2 streams, no matter what I get dropped frames, albeit very very occasionally.
I also had dropped frames. I've tried to disable deinterlacing, but I still also noted dropped frames, despite using bilinear basic filters. Maybe the problem is with hardware. I never took time to test with DVBViewer.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 18:53   #37606  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Guys i need help, i aways used madvr in tv levels and the gpu on full range... My tv cleary don't suports full range, all other aplications turn darker and saturated...

But i downloaded avschd patterns and when i play the black clipping pattern all the bar are flashing so i tried others
And the only that keep 16 black and 17 flashing is madvr 1-255 and gpu full
But how this is possible? If i can see cleary on other aplications that the tv don't support full range, also on madvr full range the movies are darker and oversaturated...i really don't know what is happening
Its possible to be a Intel driver bug?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 19:57   #37607  |  Link
huhn

are you getting a different result here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TI9f1zxucw

+-1 level scaling can make more levels visiable.
is DXVA scaling used?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 21:04   #37608  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
I also had dropped frames. I've tried to disable deinterlacing, but I still also noted dropped frames, despite using bilinear basic filters. Maybe the problem is with hardware. I never took time to test with DVBViewer.
I've done some more testing using jriver with madVR. And I think I've narrowed it down to some kind of deinterlacing detection. It was most apparent when watching the Simpsons but I found madVR kept switching deinterlacing on and off, eg not detecting if it's needed from the stream or not.
This was more apparent because when I turned on forced deinterlacing in madVR or forced it off there's no dropped frames.

At first I thought it was video mode/film mode detection and that may be responsible from some dropped frames too but its best stuck to video only for TV.

It might help to understand how the auto detection works to try figure out why madVR keeps switching deinterlacing off/on.

Edit # further testing confirms the same behavior in mpc-hc. Never dropping frames with deinterlacing off. Keeping deinterlacing off in madvr and forcing it on in lav such as enabling yadif once again means the occasional dropped frames. The same occurs when using hardware deinterlacing in lav and forcing it on. How the hell can I work out how to solve this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dodgexander; 28th April 2016 at 03:38.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 21:22   #37609  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you getting a different result here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TI9f1zxucw

+-1 level scaling can make more levels visiable.
is DXVA scaling used?
No dxva, later i will try your link

Is Very strange if i set madvr to tv anda gpu to full 1 to 25 all flashes
Ir ser madvr full and gpu limited i get 19 to 25 flashing but with madvr full and gpu full almost the same happens... I found that madvr 1-255 and gpu limited works but i don't want Intel dithering...
Old 27th April 2016, 23:53   #37610  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
No dxva, later i will try your link

Is Very strange if i set madvr to tv anda gpu to full 1 to 25 all flashes
Ir ser madvr full and gpu limited i get 19 to 25 flashing but with madvr full and gpu full almost the same happens... I found that madvr 1-255 and gpu limited works but i don't want Intel dithering...
What do you mean by "works"? 17 to 25 flashing is correct so it sounds like you have correct behavior using the recommended madVR full and GPU full setting. You simply have slight shadow crush which is very common on any consumer display that hasn't been calibrated. You can use custom levels in madvr to correct it or use different options when calibrating your display.

edit: btw your results are not strange at all, that is exactly what you would expect to happen. Picture information is 16-235, so when set to full madVR expands 16-235 to 0-255, clipping 0-15. If set to limited madVR outputs the untouched 0-255, which includes the blacker than black 1-15 bars which you incorrectly see. The GPU setting simply compresses 0-255 to 16-235 if set to limited and outputs the untouched 0-255 if set to full. The GPU always assumes it is 0-255 so if you set both the GPU and madVR to limited you get double compression.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th April 2016 at 00:08.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 00:35   #37611  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
What do you mean by "works"? 17 to 25 flashing is correct so it sounds like you have correct behavior using the recommended madVR full and GPU full setting. You simply have slight shadow crush which is very common on any consumer display that hasn't been calibrated. You can use custom levels in madvr to correct it or use different options when calibrating your display.

edit: btw your results are not strange at all, that is exactly what you would expect to happen. Picture information is 16-235, so when set to full madVR expands 16-235 to 0-255, clipping 0-15. If set to limited madVR outputs the untouched 0-255, which includes the blacker than black 1-15 bars which you incorrectly see. The GPU setting simply compresses 0-255 to 16-235 if set to limited and outputs the untouched 0-255 if set to full. The GPU always assumes it is 0-255 so if you set both the GPU and madVR to limited you get double compression.
Maybe i not explaned cleary english is not my native language

I aways used madvr on tv levels and gpu on full levels

But when i run the patterns the resulta are strange

Lets show you:

Madvr: 16-235 gpu: 0-255 = all bars 1 to 25 flashing similar to limited limited But with brackground more darker
Madvr: 0-255 gpu: 16-235 = 18 to 25 flashing
Madvr: 0-255 gpu: 0-255 = 19 to 25 flashing
If i set madvr 1-255 any range on gpu flashes 17-25

But my tv don t have hdmi black level option also don't have any levels
Options, and with gpu to full all colors on desktop and internet and everything else become Very darker without any shadow detail and oversaturated on reds...
I really don t know more what levels use...

With thats situation i tried 3dluts with all settings and only terrible results
Old 28th April 2016, 01:40   #37612  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Madvr: 16-235 gpu: 0-255 = all bars 1 to 25 flashing similar to limited limited But with brackground more darker
Madvr: 0-255 gpu: 16-235 = 18 to 25 flashing
Madvr: 0-255 gpu: 0-255 = 19 to 25 flashing
If i set madvr 1-255 any range on gpu flashes 17-25
Your first setting doesn't make sense given you report a clipped desktop if you have the GPU set to full range. How can you see bars 1-15 if you have crushed shadow detail on your desktop?

Quote:
Options, and with gpu to full all colors on desktop and internet and everything else become Very darker without any shadow detail and oversaturated on reds...
I really don t know more what levels use...

With thats situation i tried 3dluts with all settings and only terrible results
Set madVR to 1-255 and the GPU to limited to fix the desktop, of course this has Intel's dithering.

The only other option is madVR 16-235 and the GPU full, but this clips your desktop.

These are the only two options if your TV does not support full range. But it sounds like your's does if you can see all the bars with madVR 16-235 and the GPU 0-255?

Maybe you can recalibrate your TV for full range input? I know some TVs I have calibrated did not have an option for blacklevel but I could change it by changing brightness and contrast.

Set madVR to 16-235, GPU to Full, usually you raise brightness to bring lower numbered bars visible and lower contrast to bring higher numbered bars visible. Sadly sometimes the manufacture has 'brightness' and 'contrast' change different aspects so these adjustments might not be right or even involved in the black or white level. You want to adjust until you can see 1 and 254. If you can adjust so all steps are visible you then change madVR to full range and you should only see 16 and 235 (and the desktop should look correct).
Old 28th April 2016, 03:59   #37613  |  Link
Warner306

When set to 0-255, madVR clips 0-15? This is news to me. What about 236-255? Also clipped?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 04:55   #37614  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Your first setting doesn't make sense given you report a clipped desktop if you have the GPU set to full range. How can you see bars 1-15 if you have crushed shadow detail on your desktop?

Set madVR to 1-255 and the GPU to limited to fix the desktop, of course this has Intel's dithering.

The only other option is madVR 16-235 and the GPU full, but this clips your desktop.

These are the only two options if your TV does not support full range. But it sounds like your's does if you can see all the bars with madVR 16-235 and the GPU 0-255?

Maybe you can recalibrate your TV for full range input? I know some TVs I have calibrated did not have an option for blacklevel but I could change it by changing brightness and contrast.

Set madVR to 16-235, GPU to Full, usually you raise brightness to bring lower numbered bars visible and lower contrast to bring higher numbered bars visible. Sadly sometimes the manufacture has 'brightness' and 'contrast' change different aspects so these adjustments might not be right or even involved in the black or white level. You want to adjust until you can see 1 and 254. If you can adjust so all steps are visible you then change madVR to full range and you should only see 16 and 235 (and the desktop should look correct).
asmodian i only have to say thank you very much for your patience and compreension, you´re right, i did what you said and really my tv support full range, yeah great great great more contrast, more color more real life look, thanks again man
and to the others in this thread sorry for bring an old topic discussion
Old 28th April 2016, 06:54   #37615  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
When set to 0-255, madVR clips 0-15? This is news to me. What about 236-255? Also clipped?
both are clipped as it should be.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 13:12   #37616  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi can you please add DCI-P3 D65 to madVR?
Old 28th April 2016, 16:50   #37617  |  Link
zaemon

Just wanted to thank madshi and guys over at LAVfilters to help enable MVC playback. Just one thing: sometimes madVR does not switch to 3D stereoscopic mode and resolution when I play back an MVC video. That's a problem because I'm outputting at 4k and thus the video is played back in 2D at 4k. Maybe having some kind of 1080p23@3D display mode would do the trick. Right now I'm using two profiles, one with 4k resolutions and one with 1080p. Using 1080p display mode always ensure that 3D stereoscopic mode is activated. Using 4k display mode don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 17:49   #37618  |  Link
Sunspark

In case anyone is curious to know, a 2-core Broadwell cpu with Intel HD 6000 can upscale 1280x720p to 2048x1152p using NNEDI3 16 neurons for chroma and Lanczos 4-tap with anti-ringing filter for luma without frame drops. Render time is about 20 ms on my computer. Picture quality is quite good for this combination. and noticeably superior to DXVA2.

NNEDI3-16 chroma however, cannot be selected to upscale 1920x1080p to 2048x1152p or just chroma upscaling by itself (normal size) without lots of dropped frames so you still need to use a different chroma upscaler like Mitchell-Netravali.

I am not sure why because I thought the jump from 1080p to 1152p would be less intensive than the jump from 720p to 1152p. Is there a mathematical pixel limit for the scaling or something else?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 18:15   #37619  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
In case anyone is curious to know, a 2-core Broadwell cpu with Intel HD 6000 can upscale 1280x720p to 2048x1152p using NNEDI3 16 neurons for chroma and Lanczos 4-tap with anti-ringing filter for luma without frame drops. Render time is about 20 ms on my computer. Picture quality is quite good for this combination. and noticeably superior to DXVA2.

NNEDI3-16 chroma however, cannot be selected to upscale 1920x1080p to 2048x1152p or just chroma upscaling by itself (normal size) without lots of dropped frames so you still need to use a different chroma upscaler like Mitchell-Netravali.

I am not sure why because I thought the jump from 1080p to 1152p would be less intensive than the jump from 720p to 1152p. Is there a mathematical pixel limit for the scaling or something else?
1080p sources have 1.5x more pixels to process. I'm curious, can an HD 6000 handle Jinc or super-xbr upscaling if Bicubic is used for chroma upscaling (NNEDI3 is a bit wasteful).

What about super-xbr100 + AR + Bicubic150 (downscaling) + SuperRes (1) for 720p sources?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 19:26   #37620  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
1080p sources have 1.5x more pixels to process. I'm curious, can an HD 6000 handle Jinc or super-xbr upscaling if Bicubic is used for chroma upscaling (NNEDI3 is a bit wasteful).

What about super-xbr100 + AR + Bicubic150 (downscaling) + SuperRes (1) for 720p sources?
On 1080p sources it can handle jinc/jinc or superxbr/jinc no problem, 2-5ms. So it is a given that bicubic would be even easier. I'm sure 720p would be no problem either if it can handle NNEDI3-16 for chroma.

I never liked the "look" of jinc on luma though.

Didn't test the second combo, but I'm sure it would be fine as well.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling