Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd June 2018, 03:32   #51461  |  Link
Quiet

Okay, back to the topic.

Is it possible to use this kind of LUT's (.cube) in madVR by converting or directly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezzdqrvjsj...elut.cube?dl=1
Quiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:43   #51462  |  Link
huhn

the 3d lut has to be created from something. it's more likely you can create something from "this".
madVR supports eecolor or madVR 3D LUTs.

while it is clearly possible to create a 3d LUT from that file for madVR i doubt someone spends the time to write such a program.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:27   #51463  |  Link
mkohman

Guys please don't shoot me for asking this question but I really need clarification in order to ensure I am using the correct setting when doing HDR to SDR in madVR...

In the calibration tab of madVR am I supposed to have the "display calibrated" checked and select BT2020 from the drop down menu or am I supposed to select "disable calibration control for this display"?

When disabled, playing HDR content really pops and the HDR looks amazing apart from people's faces being slightly reddish then usual with gamma set to 2.4 with my JVC with gamma set to normal that sorts it out but...

When I have "this display is calibrated" and I select BT2020 from the drop down menu on madVR then the HDR to SDR looks like normal SDR and the HDR effect is barely there....which is the correct setting that's needs to be applied in madVR please? Thank you..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
mkohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 12:59   #51464  |  Link
huhn

did you calibrate your projector to bt2020.
if not you don't tell madVR that it is calibrated for that.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:10   #51465  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
did you calibrate your projector to bt2020.
if not you don't tell madVR that it is calibrated for that.
Thank you.. No I haven't calibrated my JVC at all.. It's out the box as it is.. I take it that I don't tell madVR that it's calibrated and select the "disable calibration controls for this display"? Do you know how to sort out the overly saturated reds in the skin tones? Do I need to select Gamma as Normal as apposed to 2.4? Thanks

Here is what my JVC information is displaying.. It still says BT2020 but SDR as I am converting HDR to SDR with madVR does that look OK?

Old 22nd June 2018, 13:32   #51466  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

The option "disable calibration controls for this display" just makes madVR do slightly less work to present correct colors, the idea being that if your display isn't calibrated then anything madVR does to correct the color output is a waste of time. But if your display is calibrated to a particular standard out of the box and you think it's reasonably accurate, you should select "this display is already calibrated" so madVR does the extra work. The performance difference isn't big.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:35   #51467  |  Link
huhn

your display claims the input signal is bt2020.
there could be a lot of reason for that one for example you told your projector the input colorspace is bt2020 in this case madVR should be set to bt 2020 too.
than we have a line saying HDR type SDR and HDR meta data...
what ever is going on here this is not what SDR should provide.

i can't tell you anything about gamma here gamma 2.4 without calibration is just something unknown same for normal could be gamma 2.14 with a "nice" S curve.
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:45   #51468  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
your display claims the input signal is bt2020.
there could be a lot of reason for that one for example you told your projector the input colorspace is bt2020 in this case madVR should be set to bt 2020 too.
than we have a line saying HDR type SDR and HDR meta data...
what ever is going on here this is not what SDR should provide.

i can't tell you anything about gamma here gamma 2.4 without calibration is just something unknown same for normal could be gamma 2.14 with a "nice" S curve.
The movie being displayed is 4K HDR.. I am using RGB FULL 4.4.4 on my GPU end at 12bit colour.. The projector can do BT2020 for HDR and REC709 for SDR..

What I am doing is converting HDR to SDR with madVR in order to get a better tone mapping as the HDR mode in JVC projectors are dark and not very pleasing..

As mentioned before with the colours space set to BT2020 in madVR, the image looks like SDR but when it's not selected (disable calibration controls for this display) then with HDR movies the colours pop and seem very nice apart from skin tones being slightly red than usual..

What I am asking is for those who use madVR to convert HDR to SDR, do you select the display calibration option for this display or select this display is not calibrated? Thanks.. Hope this makes sense... Name:  MVIMG_20180611_003440985.jpeg
Views: 548
Size:  74.5 KBName:  MVIMG_20180611_003632726.jpeg
Views: 570
Size:  60.4 KBName:  MVIMG_20180611_003554650.jpeg
Views: 549
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 22nd June 2018, 14:06   #51469  |  Link
huhn

your projector is currently saying SDR with HDR meta data and BT 2020.

and here i repeat again the projector thinks the input is BT 2020 and if this is true you will get messed up colors when SDR is send without telling madVR your device expects BT 2020 resulting is messed up skin colors and a vivid mode like colors. because madVr will convert the input source to BT 709 for SDR.

the calibration tap depends on your screens setting and behaviour not if you are using HDR->SDR conversation or not.

there is only one major difference between SDR and HDR and that is brightness.

so if you want a brighter image on a screen that can't even do SDR brightness like most projector try a lower gamma or a lower peak display nits setting. "colors" are the same between SDR and HDR.
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:54   #51470  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
your projector is currently saying SDR with HDR meta data and BT 2020.

and here i repeat again the projector thinks the input is BT 2020 and if this is true you will get messed up colors when SDR is send without telling madVR your device expects BT 2020 resulting is messed up skin colors and a vivid mode like colors. because madVr will convert the input source to BT 709 for SDR.

the calibration tap depends on your screens setting and behaviour not if you are using HDR->SDR conversation or not.

there is only one major difference between SDR and HDR and that is brightness.

so if you want a brighter image on a screen that can't even do SDR brightness like most projector try a lower gamma or a lower peak display nits setting. "colors" are the same between SDR and HDR.
Ok thanks for your help.. In that case are you suggesting that I should have BT2020 selected on madVR as well then? Thanks

Old 22nd June 2018, 16:10   #51471  |  Link
Warner306

The colors might be oversaturating with it turned off. Enhanced colors produced by BT.2020 (DCI-P3) should be subtle compared to BT.709. The difference in gamut size is only 26%. It all depends on what color space you set your projector to. You should match that in madVR.

It is more likely the gamma is different with calibration controls disabled. When disabled, the gamma defaults to 2.20. When active, I think you are using a 2.40 gamma. Try changing the gamma setting in madVR with calibration controls enabled. It should produce a similar result. You don't have to match the gamma of your projector for HDR -> SDR. And the gamma setting won't impact SDR playback.

Last edited by Warner306; 22nd June 2018 at 16:14.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 17:39   #51472  |  Link
gfxnow

I just bought a variable refresh rate monitor. When playing 23.976 content should I set the monitor's refresh rate to 48Hz to avoid judder from 3:2 pulldown? Normally it's set at 60Hz.
gfxnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 20:38   #51473  |  Link
SamuriHL

Try it and see how it works. I use 48Hz on my plasma screen and it works fairly well.
Old 22nd June 2018, 20:57   #51474  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The colors might be oversaturating with it turned off. Enhanced colors produced by BT.2020 (DCI-P3) should be subtle compared to BT.709. The difference in gamut size is only 26%. It all depends on what color space you set your projector to. You should match that in madVR.

It is more likely the gamma is different with calibration controls disabled. When disabled, the gamma defaults to 2.20. When active, I think you are using a 2.40 gamma. Try changing the gamma setting in madVR with calibration controls enabled. It should produce a similar result. You don't have to match the gamma of your projector for HDR -> SDR. And the gamma setting won't impact SDR playback.
Thank you for this.. I will definitely try it

Stupid question.. Is DCI - P3 same as BT2020? When I press ctrl+j to see what madVR is displaying it says BT2020 -> DCI P3 is that what it's supposed to be? Thanks

Last edited by mkohman; 22nd June 2018 at 21:01.
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:44   #51475  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Stupid question.. Is DCI - P3 same as BT2020?
No, different colorspaces.

Rec.2020

DCI-P3
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:48   #51476  |  Link
huhn

DCI P3 is not the same as BT 2020 far from it.

it is most likely processing in DCI p3. there is no screen that can do BT 2020 and even DCI p3 is barely doable-
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:52   #51477  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
DCI P3 is not the same as BT 2020 far from it.

it is most likely processing in DCI p3. there is no screen that can do BT 2020 and even DCI p3 is barely doable-
Hmmm I see.. Even though my JVC says BT2020 u guess it can only do DCI P3 then....?

Old 22nd June 2018, 21:53   #51478  |  Link
mkohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichaelt View Post
No, different colorspaces.

Rec.2020

DCI-P3
Thank you

Old 22nd June 2018, 22:08   #51479  |  Link
mv

IPTV stops playing after several seconds

Hi guys!

Can anyone please point me in direction of solving following issues.
I'm trying to use MPC-BE + madVR + external LAV filters to watch IPTV from my internet provider (UDP multicast stream).

1 problem is that with some channels, and most disappointing the channel that is broadcasting TV matches, playback stops after several seconds. To be clear - nothing crashes, playback just stops when using madVR as render (with other renders playback doesn't stop).
Other channels seem to work fine. Moreover, after oppening m3u playlist with several channels and switching them back and forth non-working channels seem to start working. Any ideas?
2. Deinterlacing done by madvr produce artefacts on moving objects. Clearly visible with moving text on news channel. Is it unavoidable or maybe I could tweak de-interlacing options somehow?
3. Before playback starts it hiccups for second or two with static picture. Tried to increase-decrease queu size and enable/disable option 'delay playback until render queue is full' but it doesn't help

Thanks!
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 23:07   #51480  |  Link
huhn

are you using d3d11 for decoding?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling