Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th November 2018, 11:30   #53661  |  Link
ryrynz

Probably those Windows notification settings.. Disable Focus Assist, disable Automatic rules and all 'notifications & actions' options.

Last edited by ryrynz; 14th November 2018 at 11:35.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:41   #53662  |  Link
j82k

NV HDR is broken again with 416.94. Good job Nvidia....
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:43   #53663  |  Link
Warner306

If you're not playing video games, stop updating your drivers unless there is a good reason for it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 21:10   #53664  |  Link
ryrynz

Boys gotta play, nice to know. The good reason is knowing if they've finally delivered an update worthy of replacing 385.28 :P
Old 15th November 2018, 00:11   #53665  |  Link
brazen1

I have no problems with the new driver for HDR. However, 3D is broken and only for one player:
PowerDVD is fine.
MPCHC is fine.
MPCBE reduces the player to the upper left corner of the display.
This is not the first time I've seen big differences between MPC HC/BE.
All players are nightlies or latest version as of today fwiw.

HD Audio driver is still junk regarding auto switching stereo to 7.1 in Windows Audio properties and vice versa which does affect playback of certain audios but more importantly, desktop usage vs video mode. I replaced the driver with the last working version in the install package and am finding it routine with every update. Hoping one day they will fix this audio driver problem along with adding an RGB 10bit mode which is why I keep upgrading the driver and testing. My advice is roll back to the previous driver and fix the audio (if you care) or live with the new 3D problem that MPCBE may or may not deal with and fix the audio in this latest driver (I'm going to) or install 385.28 and fuggetaboutit.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 02:15   #53666  |  Link
ryrynz

Build 4166 may fix that perhaps, check nightlies in a few hours, also BE has differed quite a bit from HC for some time now so differences aren't unexpected.
Old 15th November 2018, 09:45   #53667  |  Link
Grimsdyke

@all, I have two questions.
- Is there a way to expand the UI at least vertically ?
- I am currently looking into my profiles to maybe find some optimizations especially for UHD and I was wondering about the rendering modes !!
Is flush-flush&wait (loop)-don't flush-don't flush still the recommended setting for UHD ? Unfortunately there are too many combinations possible so I thought I better ask.
Thx
Grimsdyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 11:07   #53668  |  Link
ryrynz

You mean the madVR settings window? That can't be changed.
Flush and wait (loop) looks to place slightly more burden on the GPU, hence the slightly lower render times. Defaults should be best.
Optimizations would be things like the trade quality for performance options or lowering the buffers.

Last edited by ryrynz; 15th November 2018 at 11:09.
Old 15th November 2018, 11:42   #53669  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Years ago on Win7 I had a little tool installed that made all windows sizeable but I unfortunately don' t remember the name - found others but they don't work so well.

When I set "after copy to backbuffer" to "flush" render times drop here on my system by ca. 2 ms !! However, I am worried that this creates other problems in the overall performance.
Guess I have to do some night sessions to further test this. Madshi is currently not active here, right ?
Grimsdyke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 12:31   #53670  |  Link
austinminton

I am using FSE after a long time and I noticed that it shows "composition rate" at 60hz even though I have a 24p video playing at 24hz refresh rate. Should composition rate really matter in FSE? Is there some setting I am missing somewhere please?
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 13:00   #53671  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
I am using FSE after a long time and I noticed that it shows "composition rate" at 60hz even though I have a 24p video playing at 24hz refresh rate. Should composition rate really matter in FSE? Is there some setting I am missing somewhere please?
I'm wondering about the same myself.
Old 15th November 2018, 13:12   #53672  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
I'm wondering about the same myself.
It is a display bug as far as I am aware. You would get lots of frame drops and the likes if it was really at 60. I think there was a fix but I was too lazy to try and find it once I got FSE working again, I don't use it inside KODI anyway.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 12:11   #53673  |  Link
mclingo

i've had that issue myself with my AMD card, where the composition rate didnt match and i was getting frame drop which is very odd for an AMD card, i tried what I thought was everything to resolve, even a system restore but I couldnt fix it. I finally managed to get it sorted by completely removing MADVR and installing it in a new location. i tried this first by moving location and using settings.bin but this didnt work.

its easy to test though, just run the uninstall MADVR but leave the folder intact, reinstall it in a new location from scratch, if it doesnt work go back to the old location and you've only lost a few minutes.

This is more likely a driver issue though but its doing exactly the same thing that happened to me.
Old 16th November 2018, 13:51   #53674  |  Link
SirSwede

This might be a bit of a silly question to the more experienced of you users, but it makes me nervous - so here goes it:

Using Windows 7 Home Premium, is it possible to make any changes in Windows (excluding madVR's own settings, MPC-HC's settings, LAV Filter's settings, graphics card settings and changing the Windows Theme), that will affect how madVR displays the picture and how the picture looks on the TV, using madVR?

SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 18:47   #53675  |  Link
huhn

aero and color management should do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
FSE should ignore the desktop composition but this is a hard topic because there is no FSE on win10 so hard to say there.

overlay rendering is ignoring the composition rate and i'm unsure of windowed d3d11 10 bit which is a special mode on it's own.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 19:31   #53676  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
aero and color management should do that.
Yeah, but nothing else?
Old 16th November 2018, 20:03   #53677  |  Link
huhn

the GPU driver but that is not microsoft.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 21:01   #53678  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the GPU driver but that is not microsoft.
Yeah, I never touch that. This PC is completely dedicated to madVR and I never make any changes (at least not on purpose) - all I do is open the Windows Explorer, transfer the file, close the Explorer, mark the file, click Enter, play the file, program ends, move the file to the Recycling Bin and emptying it.
Old 18th November 2018, 01:53   #53679  |  Link
JNW

Do you guys overclock your GPU’s? I have a VAIO with an old AMD Radeon 5470 that I use to watch stuff on in bed. I wanted to use super-xbr for chroma and upscale using Jinc but was falling short a few ms on some videos so I would have to fallback chroma to Jinc also. So I decided to do a slight overclock to squeeze that little bit more performance. I’m in happy day’s now lol but don’t usually overclock. Temps are the same though and all looks good. Guess I’m paranoid of damaging something lol. It’s old but a lovely laptop. People mention there cards and settings but never mention if they’ve done anything to there cards or not so I guess I was just curious.
JNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 04:34   #53680  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

All I do is push the "power control" to +20% on my factory OC'd R9 270X... without this I would have to dial NGU back a notch... the card starts to throttle to quickly without the power control pushed to +20%

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling