Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th April 2020, 20:50   #59021  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteTension View Post
I)
Out of interest, how useful do you really think your comments are, do you really think you are contributing positively to this thread?
Old 7th April 2020, 23:33   #59022  |  Link
Manni

Stop feeding the troll
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 04:11   #59023  |  Link
wasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasper View Post
Hello everyone,

I need some helps. I have an Intel card GPU is able to do HEVC decoding at 4K 10 bits. I have a video that is HDR 59fpf at 4k. This video play just fine n VLC. I can't play it in MADVR. The problem is probably related to the use of the GPU for decoding.

LAV at 0.74.1

The left pane is the use of the GPU by VLC, the right pane by MADVR. Any idea why isn't using gpu like VLC?

Hello,

Just in case it could help a dummy like me, the problem was that lav filter were using copyback. Even with gpu decode, the bus or cpu can't manage copyback for such framerate and resolution. I use MadvR through Jriver and I have some user exit that make possible for me to switch from built-in lav filter with copy back setting and an installed version using native dxva to play really high rate files. However, I'm wondering if there is some script that could change the lav setting dynamically?
wasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 04:57   #59024  |  Link
nsnhd

So, the real problem is Jriver not allowing native dxva ?
How is Intel Iris Plus 655 doing with madVR ? Can it do tone mapping without problems ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 08:14   #59025  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Just in case it could help a dummy like me, the problem was that lav filter were using copyback. Even with gpu decode, the bus or cpu can't manage copyback for such framerate and resolution. I use MadvR through Jriver and I have some user exit that make possible for me to switch from built-in lav filter with copy back setting and an installed version using native dxva to play really high rate files. However, I'm wondering if there is some script that could change the lav setting dynamically?
There is an option under the checkbox that enables hardware decoding in JRiver, named "Optimize hardware decoding for performance", if you enable that it'll use DXVA2 Native.
Old 8th April 2020, 12:01   #59026  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteTension View Post
1) New, much better CNN algorithms.
True, they are not yet available, while open CNN solutions are developing with might and main and have surpassed any NGU in quality.
Thanks, that was an interesting read!
The first time I saw proper measurements about different scaling algos.

Unfortunately only madVR NGU Very High was tested, not the much faster variants (High, Med, Low).
It's indeed interesting to see that FSRCNNX is in the same ballpark as NGU algos. FSRCNNX-16-0-4-1 luma is about the same performance here as NGU Sharp High, while FSRCNNX-8-0-4-1 is way faster.

Do you know how exactly (which tools) the actual measurements (PSNR, SSIM, IW-SSIM, PSNR-HMA, PSNR-HA) were created to be able to replicate them? I'd like to try it out here.

And lastly, why was the whole github repo deleted?
Edit: it was renamed then renamed again, it's here now

Last edited by chros; 4th May 2020 at 17:10.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 17:13   #59027  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
How is Intel Iris Plus 655 doing with madVR ? Can it do tone mapping without problems ?
I don't think anything below a 1050ti / 1060 can do tonemapping reliably.
Old 8th April 2020, 19:11   #59028  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Thanks, that was an interesting read!
The first time I saw proper measurements about different scaling algos.

Unfortunately only madVR NGU Very High was tested, not the much faster variants (High, Med, Low).
It's indeed interesting to see that FSRCNNX is in the same ballpark as NGU algos. FSRCNNX-16-0-4-1 luma is about the same performance here as NGU Sharp High, while FSRCNNX-8-0-4-1 is way faster.

Do you know how exactly (which tools) the actual measurements (PSNR, SSIM, IW-SSIM, PSNR-HMA, PSNR-HA) were created to be able to replicate them? I'd like to try it out here.

And lastly, why was the whole github repo deleted?
Edit: oh, I found the original here
I've been doing some tests myself related to what I am working on, when I finish I'll post some results with the metrics that I consider most interesting. The performance of NGU sharp very high is usually comparable to FSRCNNX with any metric, the other settings (high, medium, and low) are always a bit below. The other NGU variants produce worse results, but still better than interpolation methods (except NGU soft).

Most of the metrics are implemented in Matlab, there are plenty to try:

http://www.ponomarenko.info/psnrhma.htm
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 19:20   #59029  |  Link
senzaparole

hi guys,
if in Calibration I set disable calibration controls for this display, in Color & Gamma do I have to set enable gamma processing?
Old 8th April 2020, 19:25   #59030  |  Link
Asmodian

Gamma processing is only if you want to make adjustments, it is not part of calibration. You do not have to enable it, in fact I would not use it unless your screen's gamma is bad and you cannot fix it on the display itself.

Personally I would set your calibration to something, probably BT.709 - pure power 2.2, if disabled looks good for most content.
Old 8th April 2020, 22:35   #59031  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by senzaparole View Post
hi guys,
if in Calibration I set disable calibration controls for this display, in Color & Gamma do I have to set enable gamma processing?
You need a colorimeter to really mess with the gamma, every display is different, and between the different tv modes, or monitor modes, the gamma and grey balance could change as well. So while you can tweak it until it looks good to you, that's a bad idea unless you've had alot of experience with reference images and know how it's suppose to look.

And catch 22 is, if you are such a person, you probably have a colorimeter.
Old 8th April 2020, 22:46   #59032  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

admin or manager in this forum need to hire special mods for this thread only to keep it under control
Old 8th April 2020, 22:51   #59033  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
keep it under control
Ooh, a control freak. Watch out!
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 01:04   #59034  |  Link
mykillk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, 10 bit is not important, even for HDR. Keep using 8 bit to save yourself from extra complications for no benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
There's no such thing as 2 bit frc, it's either 8 bit or 10 bit.

the 10 bit can be achieved by 8 bit + frc or 8bit+ High-frc

You don't need to worry about this. Madvr output looks like 10bit even on 8bit.

the 10bit engine on the TV usually doesn't work well or works poorly, while 8-bit support is typically ubiquitous and stable.
Thanks for the info! Will stick with 8-bit.

Although HDR can look pretty amazing, I kind of miss the "old" days before it came out. HDR has made the world of video quite a lot more complicated and uncertain!
mykillk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2020, 03:25   #59035  |  Link
wasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There is an option under the checkbox that enables hardware decoding in JRiver, named "Optimize hardware decoding for performance", if you enable that it'll use DXVA2 Native.
Coming from you, it must be right! Maybe, I should reinstall JRiver. I did replace the plugin folder for Lav filter with a more recent version and maybe the flag setting broke during the process. Just to be clear, using regular HQ setting the gpu is used but the decoder queue isn't filled fast enough. What I did, is to change a registry key to move from HQ to custom in function of a database tag. Using custom, it plays 4k 10bits easily at 59fps but without any enhancement! Doesn't need that much anyway for those kind of file.

Appreciate your answer and will definitely have a look how I could have broke this setting or why native isn't triggered, cause gpu is still used with copyback, right?

Old 9th April 2020, 03:43   #59036  |  Link
wasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
It should like nevcairiel said. I might missing something there and I'll try to figure out. Not too much time but I'll try to find a program that will tell me the real path from decoding to rendering.

One thing for sure, using custom settings you can use native DXVA with MADVR, so it shouldn't be something to worry. As for tone mapping, I don't use it as I dynamically switch the windows desktop between HDR and SDR in function of the movie content. Anyway, I don't have enough knowledge to give you an answer. Didn't play with windows setting but desktop looks awful in HDR with default settings. Iris is fine as it supports HEVC and VP9 decoding. Intel Nuc is small and pretty, Jriver needs tweaking and some programing skill if you want to customize the behavior exactly like you want(at least for my version but I thing it's fine in the late version). Like the quality of my HTPC. Not sure I answered your question though!
Old 9th April 2020, 09:02   #59037  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Appreciate your answer and will definitely have a look how I could have broke this setting or why native isn't triggered, cause gpu is still used with copyback, right?
The checkbox is only visible if video is set to ROHQ, because in custom it can't really do anything, and in ROSTD its not needed.
It was added in MC24, the other explanation would be if you are on something earlier then that.
Old 9th April 2020, 13:59   #59038  |  Link
wasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The checkbox is only visible if video is set to ROHQ, because in custom it can't really do anything, and in ROSTD its not needed.
It was added in MC24, the other explanation would be if you are on something earlier then that.
I was too tired yesterday and read too fast your answer about "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" and mixed up with "hardware accelerate video decoding when possible". I'm still on MC21, so everythings is explained! Everything is so fine tuned on 21 that I don't want to upgrade just in case my user exit wouldn't work as expected.

Since you are there, I got a video clip that is 4k HEVC (bitrate at 56312) that doesn't use gpu decoding. Using DXVAChecker, I got this:

The file: https://mega.nz/#!7hUGxQwb!nZknEB5dQ...fH7iowG8gadYYg

Normal behaviour? Once again, thanks for your time.

Last edited by wasper; 9th April 2020 at 19:02.
Old 9th April 2020, 17:57   #59039  |  Link
senzaparole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Gamma processing is only if you want to make adjustments, it is not part of calibration. You do not have to enable it, in fact I would not use it unless your screen's gamma is bad and you cannot fix it on the display itself.

Personally I would set your calibration to something, probably BT.709 - pure power 2.2, if disabled looks good for most content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
You need a colorimeter to really mess with the gamma, every display is different, and between the different tv modes, or monitor modes, the gamma and grey balance could change as well. So while you can tweak it until it looks good to you, that's a bad idea unless you've had alot of experience with reference images and know how it's suppose to look.

Thanks for your advice. I do not have a colorimeter or experience with images.
I am aware that I cannot achieve perfection but thanks to your help I would like to obtain a satisfactory result.

I set in "this display is already calibrated":
- BT.709 and pure power curve 2.20.
I disabled "enable gamma processing".

I take this opportunity to ask you another doubt.
I own a B9 OLED TV. After several tests I decided to use the conversion from HDR to SDR.
Did I have a good idea?
I use these settings:

In "display peak luminance" I set 80. And in "dynamic target nits" : 50.
Are values ​​too low? Do I lose some details?
For example, to obtain adequate brightness, I could increase the value of the "display peak luminance" and in "this display is already calibrated" increase the value of pure power curve from 2.20 to 2.40. What do you think?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 9th April 2020, 18:55   #59040  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Why have an HDR device and source and not use it... your settings make no sense to me.

QB

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling