Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 22nd October 2009, 21:45   #1041  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_111 View Post
AVStoDVD 2.2.2 is really slow for me (first time I tried AVStoDVD). Just ~25fps with a 2.66GHz Core2Quad and default settings, I tried to convert a 40min 720p MKV (H264+AC3) with QUenc (~24fps) and HCenc (15fps@1-pass) as a test. RipBot264 and DVDRebuilder work with normal speed for me (Win7 Home Premium 64bit). Any ideas what I can do to speed it up or narrow down what causes the slow encoding?
One test isn't out and out proof, but I did a DVD-RB Pro conversion on my quad with HC 0.23 HC 0.24 May beta and HC 0.24 Sept. beta. I deleted all intermediate files between tests and used the same source with the same settings, 4 instances of HC 2 pass best profile.

The first 2 runs the video processing time was 55 minutes. But the Sept. 0.24 HC beta came in at 50 minutes. I couldn't see any qualitative difference. For @10% speed up it may be worth some copying and renaming.

edit: the other consideration is running 4 instances of HC will be with multi-threading disabled, whereas with AVStoDVD you will be running a single instance with mult-threading enabled if you're on a multi-core. So mileage may vary a bit on that score. Still, I doubt the new HC will be slower in that scenario.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 22nd October 2009 at 21:49.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:21   #1042  |  Link
loekverhees

I have a 23.976 fps source video. In AVStoDVD, I set the output to NTSC. But when AVStoDVD is almost finished, it gives an error message saying that the framerate is not DVD compliant. I checked the framerate and it was still 23.976 fps indeed (so not pulldowned to 29.97 fps). Why is it not pulldowned?
loekverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:21   #1043  |  Link
Mike_111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
you should not be surprised that a 720p movie is (decoded and) encoded slowly, even on a quad core. It depends from a lot of factors: installed codecs, system cleanliness, other tasks running in background, etc. You may improve AVStoDVD speed by selecting a different AVS resizer (i.e. BilinearResize) and edit the default encoding settings (toggle on '+Settings'/'Edit encoder command parameters at runtime').

Take note that usually HCenc is faster than QuEnc in multicore systems.
Thanks for your reply! I'll try it again with the improvements you suggested. I guess I was just surprised because almost everything I did before on this PC (encoding from DVD to H264 2-pass, 720p H264 to 576p H264 2-pass and DVD9 to DVD5 HCenc 2-pass) was more than twice as fast.

Quote:
BTW, where did you get that mkv footage?
I just used that file as a test case for AVStoDVD. It's from my Battlestar Galactica Season 1 HDDVD, encoded to 720p for the old HTPC.

Last edited by Mike_111; 22nd October 2009 at 22:27.
Mike_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:23   #1044  |  Link
Richardw322

Just a quick report, the other night I used 2.2.2 to encode a DVD(5) and it worked flawlessly. Great program MrC!!
Richardw322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:09   #1045  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekverhees View Post
I have a 23.976 fps source video. In AVStoDVD, I set the output to NTSC. But when AVStoDVD is almost finished, it gives an error message saying that the framerate is not DVD compliant. I checked the framerate and it was still 23.976 fps indeed (so not pulldowned to 29.97 fps). Why is it not pulldowned?
To better understand the cause, please post the complete log file.
Just a guess: what decimal separator is setup in your system? If it is "," change it to "."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_111 View Post
I'll try it again with the improvements you suggested.
Let me know the results. Your test on brand new HW/OS is very important for me, because I usually develop AVStoDVD on an old PC (Athlon XP 1800+ with XP Pro) and debug it on a early Core2 duo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw322 View Post
Just a quick report, the other night I used 2.2.2 to encode a DVD(5) and it worked flawlessly. Great program MrC!!
Thanks for the report. Very appreciated.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 09:20   #1046  |  Link
loekverhees

Quote:
To better understand the cause, please post the complete log file.
Just a guess: what decimal separator is setup in your system? If it is "," change it to "."
Ah, thanks. Changing the decimal separator to "." did the trick.
loekverhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 00:58   #1047  |  Link
MysticE

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekverhees View Post
Ah, thanks. Changing the decimal separator to "." did the trick.
MrC

FWIW I am using this as you originally suggested:
Quote:
@MysticE

wait, could you try with this "exe-only" update:

http://avstodvd.googlepages.com/AVSt..._Fix_091009.7z

Bye
No problems with 23.97.
MysticE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 12:45   #1048  |  Link
minda76

Thanks for the new version
minda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 14:29   #1049  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Release 2.2.3 is out. Mainly bugfixes and routines updates, plus a new, very rough, tool to join similar source titles.

Change log:

- Some bugs fixed
- Added 'Join Source Titles (AVS file)' new tool
- Changed default DVD burning speed from 2x to 4x
- Improved support to DGIndex Project files
- Improved Authoring routine
- Improved AviSynth script generation routine (resizing section)
- MediaInfo updated to 0.7.23

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th October 2009, 01:16   #1050  |  Link
aiannar974

Hello - I could not get the join to work. came back with an error reading avisyth.txt
aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 08:46   #1051  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi aiannar974,

did you try more than once? Did you try with different files? Do you always get the same error?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th October 2009, 17:15   #1052  |  Link
Sjakko

Hi MrC. I'm new to AVStoDVD and am trying to feed it a target bitrate. That works just fine when I use Quenc CBR 1-pass or HCEnc VBR 2-pass, but not for the HCEnc OPV 1-pass profile; the bitrate of the video it produces is way off. Is it supposed to work that way, or is this a bug?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Twist the throttle - BWM_0.log.txt (5.5 KB, 26 views)
Sjakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 18:53   #1053  |  Link
Filbert

Hello MrC,

would it be possible to save the paths in the project file as relative paths? So I could simply copy my project directory and continue work elsewhere with my portable device.

Greetings, Filbert
Filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 00:26   #1054  |  Link
aiannar974

Hello Mr. C - Yes I tried more than once and with different files, but al files were recored with the same camera and in the same format. it says the avs file was succesfully created, do you want to replace existing files with it and i said yes, the error is "can't find AVSInfo.txt", then error reading .avs file trial #5. I tried to just add the avs file also but got the same read error.

Anthony
aiannar974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 05:19   #1055  |  Link
MilesAhead

Sorry if this has been mentioned but thread search isn't finding it. I set the default properties for minimum audio bitrate of 224 but every time I see the command window during audio processing it says 192.
Old 29th October 2009, 09:49   #1056  |  Link
Filbert

Maybe a small bug in the menu editor:

If I enter a label text and force a new line, then the second line is lost when I reload the project. If I look at the project file the line break is saved there as a true line break instead of some sort of code:
Code:
BackgroundAudioPath: 
TitleText: Line1
Line2
TitleFontName: Arial
Greets, Filbert
Filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 11:41   #1057  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiannar974 View Post
Hello Mr. C - Yes I tried more than once and with different files, but al files were recored with the same camera and in the same format. it says the avs file was succesfully created, do you want to replace existing files with it and i said yes, the error is "can't find AVSInfo.txt", then error reading .avs file trial #5. I tried to just add the avs file also but got the same read error.

Anthony
Hi Anthony, the problem is not releated to the 'Join Title' function but to the AviSynth script info reading routine, that somehow cannot output the info file AviSynt.txt within a reasonable time. May I ask you if your system is fast (new) or slow (old)?
Anybody else have the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjakko View Post
Hi MrC. I'm new to AVStoDVD and am trying to feed it a target bitrate. That works just fine when I use Quenc CBR 1-pass or HCEnc VBR 2-pass, but not for the HCEnc OPV 1-pass profile; the bitrate of the video it produces is way off. Is it supposed to work that way, or is this a bug?
Hi Sjakko, it is supposed to work that way: OPV 1-pass is a Q-predictive technique that aims to fill the output space you have put in your project. BitRate is a secondary output, so it can be inaccurate. OPV 1-pass is a good compromise between quality and speed.
If you want to exactly target the BitRate you should use CBR 1-pass or VBR 2-pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Hello MrC,

would it be possible to save the paths in the project file as relative paths? So I could simply copy my project directory and continue work elsewhere with my portable device.

Greetings, Filbert
Hi Filbert, no, it is not possible. Anyway you can easily edit the project a2d file (it is a text file) and sobstitute the paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned but thread search isn't finding it. I set the default properties for minimum audio bitrate of 224 but every time I see the command window during audio processing it says 192.
Are you sure you have set the new Preferences *before* adding the title and going to see the audio properties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Maybe a small bug in the menu editor:

If I enter a label text and force a new line, then the second line is lost when I reload the project. If I look at the project file the line break is saved there as a true line break instead of some sort of code:
Code:
BackgroundAudioPath: 
TitleText: Line1
Line2
TitleFontName: Arial
Greets, Filbert
Yes, it is a bug. Thanks for the report! I will fix it ASAP.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st November 2009, 00:23   #1058  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Are you sure you have set the new Preferences *before* adding the title and going to see the audio properties?
Yes. I set the audio to 224 as default. Every job since then the command windows shows 192. I check the setting after it's done. The default is still 224.

edit: I did another run. It looks like if I use the Lock Button to do HC enc 2 pass I get the 224 audio. It must be when QuEnc is used that it gives 192 even though set to 224.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 1st November 2009 at 08:41.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 21:07   #1059  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@MilesAhead

by "command window" what do you exactly mean? The dos window showing Aften ac3 encoding progess? If you set 224 kbps in the Preferences and you see 224 in 'Title Edit'/'Audio', then Aften should run using that bitrate... something is missing to me. Could you post (or send by email) a log file?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 1st November 2009, 22:28   #1060  |  Link
MilesAhead

Ok, I'll try to duplicate it by encoding a clip later today.